main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Question's About Premiere And DV Cameras - Help Please...

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Darth_Imran, Aug 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Imran

Darth_Imran Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2002
    Hey. I'm about to purchase a DV camera, and would be using it with my PC, for which I already have a copy of Premiere 6.5

So, can anyone help by answering the following questions, please? :)

1. When you export from your camera onto the PC, what format will the footage be in (while using Premiere)?

2. Is quality affected if you export to a Mac (DV format) or PC (using the relevant format)?

3. Does Premiere allow you to export the timeline back onto the camera, after editing?

4. Do DV cameras work well with PC's, while using firewire capabilities?

Many, many thanks. :)

2. Redshirt

Redshirt Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 25, 2002
    to answer these:

1. When you export from your camera onto the PC, what format will the footage be in (while using Premiere)?

The footage is stored called microsoft DV avi (it is an option, you can store all footage this way, not only DV) see manual/help

2. Is quality affected if you export to a Mac (DV format) or PC (using the relevant format)?

This is a an apples and oranges question. I've never seen any differces/problems.

3. Does Premiere allow you to export the timeline back onto the camera, after editing?

yes (see help/manual)

4. Do DV cameras work well with PC's, while using firewire capabilities?

this is a tricky one. i did have one problem but will tell you/all how to fix it:

Some firewire cards are not TRUE firewire cards, and load a different driver. in premiere 6.0.2, it would not work if you were using the 1394i.drv, 1394x.drv, 1394ect.drv. premiere only likes the TRUE driver 1394.drv. so check this under your hardware manager and make sure that 1394.drv driver is installed, and not any of the other ones. i just finished capturing 2+ h via batch firewire and it worked great! just remember to turn off the camera once all of the capturing is finished, unless you like to use the LCD on your camera as a monitor.

hope this helps.

ok then

red

3. Darth_Imran

Darth_Imran Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2002
    Thanks for the help Red. :)

But I don't understand you're point about TRUE firewire cards.

4. Redshirt

Redshirt Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 25, 2002
    it's just the driver thing, nothing special there. some prefer these other firewire cards (not the 1394.drv). from my standpoint, any card not using that driver.

hope you got it working

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.