main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Questions about the attempts on Padme's life in AOTC

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Captain_Typho, Aug 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captain_Typho

Captain_Typho Jedi Master star 5

Jul 30, 2003
    Ok, here's what I don't get. First, who was truly behind the assasination attempts in AOTC? Was it Palpatine, trying to eliminate opposition to the military creation act? If that is the case, and Palpatine was behind the attempts on Padme's life, there is one thing that troubles me. Why on earth would Palpatine recommend she be placed under the protection of the Jedi, and further more, why Obi Wan? If Palpatine wanted her dead, it seems the last thing he'd be thinking about would be more security for her, especially Jedi. Unless of course, Palpatine thought by assigning the troublesome obi-wan kenobi to her, he'd be able to eliminate her and a few jedi in the process as well. So was the ultimate goal for palpatine in AOTC to eliminate Jedi or to eliminate Padme? Or am I reading too much into this? Was Nute Gunray really the one ULTIMATELY behind the assasination attempts. Or did it come from Palpatine?

2. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Palpatine wanted to nuetralize Padme because she was against the military act, and he wanted to make Anakin emotionally unstable. By putting those two together and forcing Padme to go into hiding, Palpatine achieved both.

3. Alanikan

Alanikan Jedi Youngling star 1

May 5, 2005
    Very true, and let's also not forget that the Viceroy from the Trade Federation would not sign the treaty unless Padme was dead. The CIS needed the TF for thier war machines.

4. Obischick

Obischick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2001
    I agree, Nute Gunray specifically says he won't be signing any treaty until he has her head on his desk. Dooku needed the Trade Federations support and droid armies.

I think it was just a sort of benifit to Palpatine that Padmé may die. Palpatine also knew that Anakin had a previous connection to Padmé, and Palpatine, being evil and Sithly and all, probably deduced that putting Anakin and Padmé (and unfortunatly for Palpy, Obi-Wan) together would help futher Anakin from the Jedi, by giving them a chance to form a bond.

~Obischick [face_peace]

5. sepharih

sepharih Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 16, 2005
    Palpatine's goal was not to have anyone eliminated IMO. He knew Padme's use of decoy targets since he was her closest advisor so he knew the first attempt with the bombing would fail, but it would ensure that she would take Jedi Protection.
    Zem, the assasin attempting to kill Padme was set up to fail in her asignment, and Jango killed her with a weapon which would lead Obi-wan to Kamino. The Archives had been edited by dooku 10 years previously to ensure that no one would drop by Kamino unnanounced until they were ready. Now that they are ready He ensured that a capable Jedi with the right connections(Obi-wan) would be assigned to finding the assasin so that Obi-wan would Locate Kamino and find the clone army.

It was all part of the plan.

6. Palpy560

Palpy560 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 11, 2005
    Palpy at it again. [face_mischief]

7. STUBRIS

STUBRIS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2001
    The PT sure is different to the OT.It's such a clever tapestry of mistrust & betrayal..people really underestimate the complexities of the story(including TPM).Palpy knew what he was doing all along.

8. desolateorchid

desolateorchid Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2005
    sepharih said everything I had thought about the subject, and then some. Fantastic theory *thumbs up*

9. Darth_Vercundus

Darth_Vercundus Jedi Youngling

Aug 3, 2005
    I agree. I think it's all part of Palpatine's plan to take control of the republic...

10. Arwen Sith

Arwen Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    I like that, sepharih!

11. Curufinwe

Curufinwe Jedi Master star 2

Jul 14, 2002
    Good explanations, but I really am iffy about Palpatine making a real effort to affect Anakin and Padme's relationship. Nor do I think that from the instant Palpatine knew about Anakin, he began setting up this master ruse to make him a Sith. He probably expected to kill him someday along with all the other Jedi. Of course, by the time of AOTC he is seducing our young hero, but I am of the opinion that Anakin's infatuation with Padme was just an unexpected perk in Palpatine's plan.

12. CAHSEE

CAHSEE Jedi Youngling

Aug 20, 2005
    "and young anakin skywalker, we'll watch your career with great interest"

13. Curufinwe

Curufinwe Jedi Master star 2

Jul 14, 2002
    So, maybe he was playing the part of the politician congratulating the local hero; it'd be strange if he didn't. Think about how many things our Presidents have to see and attend and, out of politeness, have to act interested.

14. Toughie

Toughie Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2005
    no, I think Palpatine knew how powerful Anakin could be, and that is why he befriended him right when Ani got to Coruscant.. so he could be in the position to manipulate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.