main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

KC, MO Questions about the KC Fan Force

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by DarthBarbieDoll, Apr 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lordstimpy

Lordstimpy Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 1, 2002
    To help explain what Qui-George is saying, he's a bit cranky, he had surgery and is druged. We have an established group in MOSWC.com . We enjoy the freedom we have do to the fact were not part of Fanforce. I agree that fanforce.net is a great site, but its not for us. MOSWC is ran by a great guy whom we all know personaly(KC guys anyway), the freedom we are able express on that site is far greater than we can expect to receive on this site. I think of it like this, Fanforce.net is Wal-Mart, big, popular, but has to comform to Wal-Marts rules; MOSWC.com is you hometown owned retail store, small, you are friends with everyone; even the owner, and there is no big conglomerate to see things over.

2. DarthBarbieDoll

DarthBarbieDoll Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 22, 2002
    It sounds like a matter of choice then. We each tend to go where we are most comfortable and feel we fit in. If that is the other place for you all, well then that's great. But allowing for the possibility of those who would be happy here with starting up a KC Fan Force should be considered as well. To each his or her own. :)

3. JediDragon

JediDragon Jedi Master star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    well, I would be on the KS side anyway since I'm from Kansas...maybe I oughta just go to the wichita forum...even though nobody posts there...

4. dougcpa

dougcpa Jedi Master star 1

May 5, 2001
    DarthBarbieDoll, I am a little curious as to why you and your friends haven't attended any of the KC group gatherings up to this point. We pretty much meet every month on a Saturday or Sunday. FanForce or not we're always looking for Star Wars fans to share our enthusiasm.

I hope you're not saying you haven't attended because we're not an "official" FF group. Remember, every FF group here started by not being a FF group. ;)

Anyway, I hope you and your friends would consider coming to our next meeting. With E2 and C2 we may forego a regular May meeting and just do a Saturday E2 theater trip.

5. Qui-George

Qui-George Jedi Youngling

Mar 25, 2002
    Yes, we would always welcome more members to our group. I would like to see the K.C. area get a huge group together for a Star Wars club. In my personal opinion, I just don't want it to be a FanForce. Others agree with me, and others don't. That's fine, but that doesn't mean I don't want to converse with other fans of the Saga. I think a Saturday viewing of E2 would be great for all of us to meet and talk . Let's hear some ideas from other members.

6. JediDragon

Mar 11, 2002
    lol @ ppl wanting you to join their group even if you do the fanforce, but not wanting to join the fanforce even if they belong to their own group...

7. DarthBarbieDoll

Apr 22, 2002
    Hello dougcpa. :) I have lurked at the moswc for a while as well as here, and the moswc mainly looks like a collecting club to me. I also noticed what a ghost town this board seemed to be, aside from the random comments having nothing to do with Star Wars.

I fail to understand why some KC people bash Fan Force like they do, and well quite frankly that just pushes me further away from such negativity. I have not had an interest in attending any of the meetings thus far due to that very fact.

8. GlennB

GlennB Jedi Youngling

Oct 7, 1999
    Here's my 2 cents.

I'm a proud poster/member of both the ksswc.com and moswc.com. I haven't attended any meeting myself because 1) I'm still rather new to both and 2) I live in Topeka and most members of both are in Wichita and KC respectively.

I love the idea of a Fan Force chapter in KC because the town is certainly big enough to support more than one club. So, DarthBarbieDoll, I am in full support of a FF and would be happy to help in whatever I can in setting one up. I'll have to be sort of a surrogate member since I'm an hour away.

However, I will also remain loyal to ksscw (and moswc) because truthfully I have made some wonderful friends on those boards and share many interests with most members.

I think it's fantastic to see so many people interested in one thing...STAR WARS! And not to mention that this is the busiest I've seen this board in over 2 years!

9. DarthBarbieDoll

Apr 22, 2002
    Thanks Glenn. Your help is much appreciated. I'm planning on talking to some other FF chapter members while at Celebration to see how they do things in their group and get some ideas as well. :)

10. Lordstimpy

Apr 1, 2002
    DarthBarbieDoll,
    Your not the first person to say moswc.com is more a collector site. That mostly is due to the fact it was started by collectors. I would love it if that site was more open to non-collectors but thats all we have right now. If you have any ideas in ways we could improve email me or Dougcpa. Doug is the care taker of the board and he listens to everyone. He goes by SWFan on MOSWC.

I do want to add, for us to join up with fan force, we must use the FF message board for our online community. We already have one. If FF would allow us to use moswc.com as our message board(online community). I would be willing to join FF.

11. DarthBarbieDoll

Apr 22, 2002
    I'm fairly certain that you could be in both your group and the Fan Force if you wanted to. I was reading the Fan Force FAQ and it says that the Fan Force forums are the online meeting place for the group, so to me it looks as though you have to post regularly in this forum location if you are an official FF group.

I can see that there is a distinct hesitation from some of the members of the moswc and ksswc to be a part of Fan Force, and I'm not here to ask/require/force or tell anyone to do anything. I am merely going to explore the option of beginning a KC Fan Force here in addition to what you already have set in place with your group. No one has to change anything, this would just be something new and hopefully fun as well.

I want to see an official KC Fan Force here at TFN and I'm willing to do whatever it takes to get that into motion. :)

12. JediDragon

Mar 11, 2002
    Glenn: an hour isn't that bad at all! I live an hour from Denver, but I still attend their meetings...it's worth it to me though.

13. dougcpa

dougcpa Jedi Master star 1

May 5, 2001
    I don't think my point came across clearly. What I'm trying to say is why do we have to have a FF and a moswc.com meeting, why can't we combine both. There is nothing wrong with having both FF and moswc respective members meet at one group meeting. That was simply my point. Those in attendance who want to declare a FF attendance can, those who don't, well, they'll just be attending. ;)

I think that's simple enough. I guarantee you I will do my darndest to attend the first FF meeting and any subsequent meetings, even though I may not want to officially call myself a FF'er, and I would hope to have both group meetings combined as much as possible. Myself, and many of the moswc members are just looking for other SW fans to converse and hang out with.

I look at it as the best of both worlds, and I can't see any reason why this solution couldn't work. :)

14. Lordstimpy

Apr 1, 2002
    Yea we really don't like Qui-George, we just act like were friends. We keep him around to remind us how much greater off we are. :p :)

Honestly I wouldn't mind being part of both. I could use more time out of the house. :)

Also DOUG FIX THE SITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. planet_buzz

planet_buzz Jedi Youngling

May 5, 2002
    In KC and just signed up to the board! Going to Vegas to see Episode II (well, for other reasons, but will see it there!)

Looking to get involved in a KCFF.

16. DarthBarbieDoll

Apr 22, 2002
    Hiya there planet_buzz! Well I talked with some other Fan Force groups while I was in Indianapolis and I am putting some stuff together for us to start our own FF. Everyone was so nice at the convention, it was great. They provided lots of information on starting a FF. Glad to see that there are people interested in a KCFF! Yay! And Lordstimpy.. more time out of the house.. LOL! I'll work on getting some preliminary info out in the next couple of weeks. :)

17. JediDragon

Mar 11, 2002
    Hey Barbie, did you talk to Darth Hair (Jeff) or Grimby the Hutt (Ben) from Denver at the Fan Force table?

You are always welcome to come over and talk on the Denver forum and get any ideas or questions about starting up the FF. Once we got started, we got to going real strong, and we're always happy to help anyone out. Everyone there is really cool and helpful.

18. DarthBarbieDoll

Apr 22, 2002
    Hiya JediDragon. :) Well I didn't get to talk to the Denver people yet. I talked to some people from the FanForce Pittsburg, the Steel City Jedi Knights group at the Fan Force Party Friday night. I have also spoken with some people from the Indiana Knights: Hoosier Daddy, Luke group and I have a few other e-mails to send out. Sebulba-X has been really helpful too. Thanks for the invitation to come talk to the Denver folks in their forum. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.