MOD Questions about the new boards? Read this thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Valairy Scot Force Ghost

star 5
    As others have noted, it is a bit "weird" that non-Star Wars fiction is not a sub-forum under Non-Star Wars Resource - both fictions should be sub-forums under their respective Resource - or neither.
  2. jacen200015 Force Ghost

star 4
    I just noticed that too and I agree with you.
  3. moosemousse CR - FF:UK South

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    I'm not sure I like the sub-forum thing so I'd vote with 'neither' on this issue. It just takes up space at the top.
  4. Thorn058 Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    It has been a while since I posted anything when the old boards were up so this question might seem stupid. Did the old boards have the "views" count. I have always liked that on message boards that I am active on because it lets me know if the conversation or in this case story is something people are looking at.
  5. Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus

star 5
    No, we didn't have that on the old boards. It is a really nice feature to have now.
  6. Jedi_Lover Force Ghost

star 5
    I am thrilled about that, but I am having trouble editing the title to announce new updates. I went to the first post and pushed edit, but I just got the main body of the post, but didn't see the title bar to edit. Am I doing something wrong?
  7. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    @Jedi_Lover, after you press edit and it opens a window, you need to find the More Options button, on the lower right side. It gives you the rest of your editing options including changing the title.
  8. Jedi_Lover Force Ghost

star 5
    Thanks Hazel! It worked! Yea!!=D=
  9. aalagartassle Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    do I just sit out until it's been fixed?
  10. ardavenport Force Ghost

star 4
    Has the editing function been fixed? I just looked at a post of mine from last March and the edit worked on it.
  11. Commander-DWH Shiny Costuming & Props Manager

Manager
    star 4
    @ardavenport -

12. ardavenport Force Ghost

star 4
    Aaaaah, cool. Last Friday that was, eh? Very cool.

Now, what about that filter thing?

13. Commander-DWH Shiny Costuming & Props Manager

Manager
    star 4
    We can add those into the headers, though if you'll notice, there is a completed stories index for each era stickied at the top, so you'll always have quick access to each era tag.

As for Resource, the header option is probably the most efficient method, and we can look into implementing that.
    Last edited by Commander-DWH, Sep 10, 2012
  14. Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I don't know if this has already been asked, but for those of us updating stories, will the reimport to fix the word count issue overwrite just the truncated posts, or the entire thread? Would we lose the new posts on the reimported threads?
  15. Commander-DWH Shiny Costuming & Props Manager

Manager
    star 4
    @DantanaSkywalker - The reimport will overwrite anything you update on previous posts. So if you're planning on doing anything that deviates wildly from the original, I don't recommend it. However, if it's basically the same and you just want the text back, that should amount to about a net change of zero, and would be completely fine.
  16. Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus

star 5
    No, I meant new posts on a thread, not fixing the truncated ones. Would new posts get erased?
  17. Commander-DWH Shiny Costuming & Props Manager

Manager
    star 4
    Oh, in that case, not at all. To my understanding, new posts will be totally unaffected, as they will be new entries in the database, and we'll just be re-importing old ones.
  18. Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Okay, good. I was a little worried.
  19. Jinn is MINE Force Ghost

star 3
    Can we change the subject line of posts? I don't see an obvious was of doing it when editing the first post of a thread.
  20. Commander-DWH Shiny Costuming & Props Manager

Manager
    star 4
    I just went back into the first post and made it bold and blue, so future question askers, you've been warned! :p

When you edit the first post of the thread, click "More Options," and that will take you to a window where you can edit the title bar. It's a little more involved than the old boards, but at least we have the ability. :)
  21. Jinn is MINE Force Ghost

star 3
    Thanks! I knew I'd seen something about it, but wasn't seeing it.

Is there still a minimum time between posts (I think it was one minute) like on the old boards?
  22. YodaKenobi VIP

VIP
    star 6
    Hey guys, did you notice we can change the font size?!
  23. lazykbys_left Jedi Master

star 4
    Gosh, really?

On the subject of truncated posts: I've just been struck with the paranoid thought that all edits to pre-Move posts will be undone when the truncation fix is implemented. Please tell me it ain't so.
  24. Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus

star 5
    As I understand it, anything that was imported to the board's database before we were allowed to run around and terrorize the mods again will be overwritten when it's reimported. So yes, all edits to pre-Move posts will be lost. Anything added to the database since then, like these posts we're making now, won't get erased.

So if there's anything you've edited since then that you wanna keep, better make a back-up.
  25. cje24576 Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    I was just wondering: what's the status on the text cut-off issue being fixed? I would really like to be able to see my favorite fanfics again. I hope it will be fixed very soon! I was also wondering: are the old links (e.g., in the "fanfiction resource" thread; fanfic cover art) going to be fixed? Thanks.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade