main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Questions about those Star Wars aliens CT version

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by shoney, Jan 24, 2014.

1. shoney

shoney Jedi Master star 1

Nov 27, 2006
    I thought this would be a good thread to discuss all the questions we had and have about those strange life forms that inhabit the Star Wars universe. I think this can be educational and a h*** of a lot of fun.

I have two questions for you guys and gals. What exactly do Banthas eat? They appear to be herbivores, and I have barely seen a blade of grass on Tatooine. My next question is (and this has had me curious since I was a kid) what do Jawas look like without their hoods up?

2. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Given the absence of plant life on Tatooine, banthas probably aren't herbivores, so I suspect they eat womp rats, simply because that's the only other type of animal I'm aware of living in the wild on Tatooine.

3. OBI-TUE_KENOBI

OBI-TUE_KENOBI Jedi Master star 1

Oct 15, 2009
    Never could think of what they look like exactly but I always wondered if their glowing eyes were their actual eyes or some kind of lit covering.
    Oh and I agree with Nub, Banthas are probably not herbivores at all.

A question I've wondered about is how that space slug in ESB could survive in space?

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    They're usually described as herbivorous though:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bantha

the horns are more the sort of thing you'd see on that kind of animal.

I could see the Dune Sea being the exception rather than the rule- with there being plans, but very few, and the banthas being like Star Wars camels.

5. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    Its got a belly full of delicious mynocks. Mmmm...that's good eatin'! Space slug must somehow be able to self-gravitate & self-compress, otherwise those mynocks, the Falcon, and everything would have gotten sucked out of him the moment it opened its mouth!

6. shoney

Nov 27, 2006
    I got another one, what is a krayt Dragon? Just hearing the scream of one scared the h*** out of the Sand People. I think I remember seeing one in a video game but I'm not sure.

Here's a Jabba question, how does he wipe his butt (if he has a butt)? Also, why is he so scary. I remember when ROTJ came out I couldn't wait to see what the scary and powerful Jabba the Hutt looked like (remember this was his first appearance in the original movies) and when I saw him it was like WTF, he's just a big blob with a crooked nose with a bowl full of space frogs to eat. Money and power create fear I guess. I do think that Huttnease is the coolest sounding alien language though.

7. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    Here's a Ralph McQuarrie painting of a krayt dragon (done for the 1990s Illustrated Star Wars Universe book):

[​IMG]

Regarding Jabba - I'm guessing that particular duty fell to whatever poor sap lost at sabaac each day.

Barbecue17, Iron_lord and shoney like this.
  8. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    It's a little known fact that the Krayt Dragon skeleton is actually a replica of an Apotosaurus skeleton, so that's probably the general form it would have taken (but I still love Ralph's art). Why did they go through the trouble of making a whole dinosaur skeleton from the movie? Actually, it's a leftover prop from the Disney film, One of Our Dinosaurs is Missing.
    [​IMG]
    Though now I'm getting off topic.
    Not gonna touch that one.
    He's built up such a criminal empire that he pretty much has the means to get whatever he wants, and makes sure anyone who opposes him is dealt with swiftly. Of course, he doesn't have the means himself, but some of the most ferocious villains in the galaxy are loyal to him; look at his righthand man, Boba Fett. His cruelty through torture and executions also makes him a force to be dealt with. Apparently, he's also put a few Jedi to death as well.

9. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Despite their appearance, Hutts can move quickly when sufficiently motivated. Since they weigh several hundred pounds each, their main form of combat is body-slamming their opponent. And since they have such thick hides, it is difficult to injure them. There is a neat scene in the novel Rebel Dawn where Durga and Jiliac (Jabba's aunt) engage in mortal combat, with Durga emerging the victor.

Iron_lord likes this.
  10. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    That's not off-topic at all! I had no idea about that.

Funnily enough - portions of that skeleton were still there in the Tunisian sand dunes back in the late 1990s when David Reynolds did an 'archaeological tour' of the original SW locations - his tour was documented in the SW Insider, and he was employed by LFL to track down locations for the PT.

SlashMan and Iron_lord like this.
  11. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    Also reminds me of an excerpt from the old SW Trilogy Sourcebook where it describes how Jabba would break in new Gamorrean Guards by blindfolding them and telling them to beat each other up, only to slither down once their blindfolds were in place and thoroughly paste them with his mighty tail and body-slamming them much to the howling amusement of the court.

Iron_lord likes this.
  12. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    Then you've got this bit of official fan art (Topps card) inspired by Jabba's line in the novel and comic (and even in some BTS footage) about how he was killing Luke's kind "when being a Jedi meant something":

[​IMG]

That was another little red herring that the OT era suggested, but didn't happen with the PT. Oh well.

SlashMan, Barbecue17 and Iron_lord like this.
  13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Jabba The Hutt: The Art of the Deal does give an idea of just how physically dangerous Jabba can be in the right circumstances.

14. shoney

Nov 27, 2006
    In ESB when Vader is talking to the bounty hunters, and Admiral Piett said "bounty hunters we don't need their scum". I have always wondered what Bossk said to him? What species is Bossk? I remember reading somewhere that when he was born he ate his brothers and sisters, and there were like 7-8 of them. His father watched all this happen with extreme pride. Talk about bad parenting, someone should have called alien child services LOL.

15. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Bossk is a Trandoshan, a species with an extreme hatred of Wookiees. After all, Trandosha and Kashyyyk are in the same star system. And you are correct, Bossk did murder his brothers when he was very young.

16. Barbecue17

Barbecue17 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 11, 2013
    The Clone Wars series has a two episode arc in the third season (I think it's episodes 21 and 22) that shows the Trandoshan's setting up hunting enclaves by capturing different species and stranding them. They have a pretty rough, warlike culture that kind of reminds me of the Yautja, but without the honor.

17. shoney

Nov 27, 2006
    What species was that praying mantis thing in the canteena in ANH? I know it was only in the original version, but I think I saw it listed somewhere in an alien species list or book.

18. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    She was a Yam'rii by the name of Kitik Keed'kak.

shoney likes this.