main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Questions about TPB's and comics

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Dante_Glass, Jun 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dante_Glass

Dante_Glass Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2004
    Ok, i don't own any of the star wars comics mostly because there isn't a comic book store in my city, but i'm going to spend a couple of weeks in stratford were they have this really great comic store thats got everything Star Wars. So my question is, what are the essential TPB's to pick up? and whats worth the most bang for my buck?

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The best stuff out there is Ostrander's prequel and Clone Wars work.

Must reads, IMO:

-Twilight
    -Darkness
    -Rite of Passage
    -Clone Wars Volume 1
    -Clone Wars Volume 2
    -Clone Wars Volume 3
    -Clone Wars Volume 4 (hopefully be out soon)

Other important and/or good reads:

-Tales of the Jedi: Knights of the Old Republic
    -Tales of the Jedi: Dark Lords of the Sith
    -Tales of the Jedi: The Sith War
    -Tales of the Jedi: Redemption

-Acts of War
    -Outlander
    -Jango Fett: Open Seasons
    -The Stark Hyperspace War

-Dark Empire

The various X-Wing story arcs are supposed to be really good too, though I haven't read those yet.

3. Dante_Glass

Dante_Glass Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2004
    ok cool, I havn't really read any of the PT stuff yet but i've heard good things

4. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    The X-Wing stuff is pretty good. The later comics are better starting with Warrior Princess they get really good. They are a must read if you liked the X-Wing novels, Stackpole's writing, Baron Fel, or want to know more on Rogue Squadron and its core pilots.

Another great read is Darth Maul. It is similar to the novel. Darth Maul goes and kills. Very action packed. But a little short on story and diolouge. Like Maul himself.

5. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    FYI, TPBs can usually be purchased at book stores like Borders or Barnes and Noble, so they are not limited to comic book shops.

6. lord-darkhelmet

lord-darkhelmet Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 10, 2003
    I would agree with pretty much everything in The2ndQuest's list.

The Tales of the Jedi books are very good, and very interesting as they take place 4000 years prior to ANH. In my opinion "Tales of the Jedi: Redemption" is one of the best stories published by Dark Horse. However, it does continue events from the previous TotJ series so if you're not getting them all you may not like it as much.

My favourites from the X-Wing series are "The Phantom Affair" and "In the Empire's Service".

From the prequel era, the Quinlan Vos/Aayla Secura stories (Twilight/Darkness/Rite of Passage) are very good and the Clone Wars books are even better.

Dark Empire I is quite good, II is not as good, and Empire's End is... well let's just say it's not very good.

I also really like the Star Wars Tales anthologies (I think there's 4 TPBs out for them), but if you hate Infinities then you won't like them. :p

7. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    These are comics which excellent art quality, dialogue, plot, and stand alone even if part of a series . . .

Rogue Squadron: The Phantom Affair
    Rogue Squadron: Mandatory Retirement

Ongoing: Outlander
    Ongoing: Twilight

Open Seasons
    Mara Jade: By the Emperor's Hand

Clone Wars 1: Defence of Kamino

8. Pellaeon-Firke

Pellaeon-Firke Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Related question to Dante's:

Last week I checked out the TPB section at one of the local Borders for the first time. They had these TPBs:

Clone Wars 2 and 3
    Infinities ANH and ESB
    Open Seasons
    Marvel TPB's 2-9 (I think, could have been 2-7)

As an owner of no comics or TPBs, are any of those worth the 13/30 US$ price, or should I just read them in the shop and cheat the system?

9. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    I usually sit in an overstuffed chair in Barnes and Noble reading comics. Then I buy the ones I like most. You should buy some. Because if you don't the people there might think you are treating your store like a library. Another great place to track down stuff and see if it is worth buying.

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Clone Wars and Open Seasons are definitely worth your time- though it's usually a couple bucks cheaper if you order them online through, say, Amazon.

11. JoruusCbaoth

JoruusCbaoth Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 14, 2003
    The second half of the X-wing run is superb, though the only one I didn't care for was Requeim for a Rogue.

Dark Empire is probably the most important comic story to the EU, though opinions are all over the board about it.

Crimson Empire (I, not II) is a fun read, a great revenge story.

12. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    I forgot to add Crimson Empire! Yes, an interesting approach to the art, and a final duel that lasted some dozen pages, real fighting, not lacklustre saber blades wacking each other.

13. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    Crimson Empire was my first comic, and bang did it deliver. it's a very very fun tale.

14. Sand_Hill

Sand_Hill Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 25, 2004
    they're 10.47 on amazon plus if you order three you can get free shipping.

15. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    Yeah, free shipping for you domestic citizens. But Amazon's refusal to have an Amazon Aust means we lucky ducks get to pay internat fees to. I can hardly contain my glee!

16. Tramp

Tramp Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    Another ?must-have?, IMO, is Star Wars: Union, which depicts Luke and Mara?s wedding. The artwork and story are incredible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.