main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Questions/Comments on SbS - SPOILERS INCLUDED

Discussion in 'Literature' started by ValedaKor, Oct 31, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    NJO does not mean New Jedi, it means the New ORDER of the Jedi. It doesn't matter how long one's been a Jedi or how old he is, only that he or she is part of the ORDER.

2. Freyja

Freyja Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    N...J Elaines story was in Gamer #5. Kathy's description *was* a little confusing.

3. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    Gamer? Oh no, does this mean I have to go out and buy roll playing games? Not to get going with canon, but can those really be counted as a part of the story? I mean, don't the situations change? Sorry, I've never roll-played before, and I don't know exactly what goes on.

Jae Angel

4. Freyja

Nov 2, 2000
    SW Gamer is just a magazine that does have to do with gaming some but it also has short stories as well. That's all it was. No role playing. :)

5. NarundiJedi

Oct 8, 2001
    Whew!! Good! I'm just not the roll-playing type. I prefer writing stories. So, I guess I'm gonna have to change a few parts in mine that have references to Jaina being tall. Oh well, at least she can have her pick of men! :)

Jae Angel

6. Shmi52

Shmi52 Author of New Jedi Order: Balance Point star 3 VIP

Nov 20, 1999
    Freyja --

Hm, you're right, that could've been clearer -- "Jaina had been taller for about two years" could have meant that she's still taller, but it wasn't supposed to mean that. It was supposed to be a reminiscence. Most girls take their growth spurt earlier than most boys. As far as I know, Jacen caught up and passed her. FWIW.

Back to reading. I'm up to Chapter 15 . . .

KT
    (I was taller than my little sister until I was about 15. Despite the fact that she passed me, she is still my "little sister." And our "little brother," nine years younger than me, is over six feet tall)

7. Freyja

Nov 2, 2000
    Thanks Kathy. :)

8. NarundiJedi

Oct 8, 2001
    Yeah, that makes a LOT of sense, Kathy. After all, I got my growth spurt when I was in the FOURTH GRADE and I haven't grown another inch since! BAH!!

Man, that is SOOOOOOOO awesome that Kathy came in and clarified that! Because I was thinking of putting "wouldn't it be nice if Kathy Tyers would come in and tell us what she meant?" into my post! EEEEEEEEEEEEE!! :D

Jae Angel

PS- For all of you guys who wonder just how short I am, I'm 5'2" on a good day, and yes, I take after the women in my family, which is why it makes sense that Jaina would too.

9. Aroa

Aroa Jedi Master star 1

Oct 16, 2001
    FYI Jaina is 1.49 meters tall and Jacen is 1.79 meters tall. I dont know the conversions so you can figure them out :)

10. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Where do you get that info?

11. Aroa

Aroa Jedi Master star 1

Oct 16, 2001
    starwars.com in the heros of the EU thingy

12. Shmi52

Shmi52 Author of New Jedi Order: Balance Point star 3 VIP

Nov 20, 1999
    Jae Angel --

I feel your pain. I am 5'2 1/2".

Kathy

PS Aroa -- do you suppose those figures on J/J's heights might be 2 or 3 years old? Just wondering; I don't know myself.

13. NarundiJedi

Oct 8, 2001
    1 meter = 3.28 ft. according to the back of my physics textbook

That would make Jaina approximately around 4'9"-4'10"

Holy geez!! That would make Jaina shorter than me! Cuz Leia is somewhere around 1.55 meters tall, or approximately 5'2"-5'3" for us American people.

Oh, and Jacen would be approximately 5'9". I still think he'll grow up to be as tall as his dad ;)

Jae Angel

14. Aroa

Aroa Jedi Master star 1

Oct 16, 2001
    "PS Aroa -- do you suppose those figures on J/J's heights might be 2 or 3 years old? Just wondering;I don't know myself."

I dont know either but it was in the news section so i asumed it was new info :)

15. Silencer-7

Silencer-7 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 25, 1999
    Everyone notice the busts on the bottom spines of the three hardcovers? Luke on VP, Han on BP, and Leia on SBS?

Any guesses for the fourth and fifth hardcovers?

and...

I really hope someone plans on clearing up the mesh that is Vvergere! Her actions make no sense without explanation.

I think that Sheesh had too much of a contrived escap. I think she would also be dead after having her back get shaved off.

16. Wildwookiee

Wildwookiee Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2001
    Hey, Kathy!! When did you start posting again? You left just as I was a newbie...good to see you!!

17. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    Just assume Kyp is early thirties :)

18. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    Jaina is 1.49 meters tall and Jacen is 1.79 (Kyp too I believe)

I'll check the tape measure :)

Jaina is 4 11, Jacen 5 11. Roughly

19. Nighthawk_Andy

Nighthawk_Andy Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 17, 2001
    what did everyone think of the senate scenes in SBS? I thought they were brilliantly written, I loved the tension between Borsk and Viqi and the scene with Nom Anor and Borsk in the senate blew me away.

20. NarundiJedi

Oct 8, 2001
    Ah, finally some say on Kyp's height. I was beginning to wonder. Where did you get that info?

Jae Angel

21. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Hi, Kathy! Nice to see you. It's been a while since we corresponded about my BP questions.

Yes, the Senate scenes were craftily done. And true to real life, as I'm sure we can all appreciate. Denning does have a way of providing "peaks and valleys" of tension that carry the story along.

I can't believe this, tho -- found another use of "willowy." This is getting too funny. That's four! In my defense, I am very "attuned" into the rhythm of the reading that I do, because I'm a writer myself. A writer's style includes defining that rhythm, so I do notice things that take me out of the story, as it were.

My reading group is discussing the book in sections, and that's why I've cut it as I've done. From the next section, though (and I'll have questions posted on that, too) -- what do you think about the interplay between Jacen and Anakin? Is this just too much foreshadowing for "what's to come?" Readers know that the brothers don't really get along...what are we being led to, here?

Another question to ponder. The voxyn -- a biological weapon. It's shown that they can be turned on their "creators" -- do you see this happening as a weapon of final destruction for the Vong? That would be ironic; since they abhor technology, it would be fitting that they are defeated by a living weapon.

22. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Here are my questions posted to my NJO reading group, from Chapters 14 to 33:

1. Jacen and Anakin are already at it. You can't say that Jacen isn't consistent in his feelings. We have always known that about him. Remember this for later....

2. So, in Chapter 20, we see the foreshadowing of a plotline that involves the twins, in future books.

3. Kyp gives in awfully easily, in Chapter 22. I almost feel while reading that all of the conflict is for show, that what we're seeing is a feint, and everything will come together as it should, happy ever after. Hmmm.

4. Still too much going on between Jacen and Anakin (Chapter 23). Send him back...send him back...too late now! They definitely need to get over themselves -- and Jacen needs to get himself to a monastery.

5. Vergere and Nom Anor. A match made in heaven. They should work well together, because they are so devious. That is, if they don't kill each other first.

6. Ah, more foreshadowing. Jagged Fel will be in the next book -- Jaina's book -- no doubt. So, can we look forward to a little romance in the next installment? One would assume. Hmmm...what will the guys in the audience think about this? Inquiring minds want to know....

7. The sense of disquiet, of pessimism throughout SbS to this point (Chapter 27) is getting very hard to bear. Anakin is now thinking this mission was a bad idea. SbS is definitely the darkest book we've come across in our reading. It's a page turner, that's for sure. But still, too long, IMHO.

8. "New tricks in the Jedi arsenal" (page 288). We've seen the war droids, now the use of shadow bombs. The necessities of battle dictate that new weapons be utilized. And we find out that voxyn can be manipulated!

9. Page 329, when Luke is dealing with Shesh -- see, this is when I would have started thinking "collaborator." No way should what he's feeling not continue to that. Denning is prolonging this, obviously.

That's it for this batch! I'd love to see your opinions/comments.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.