main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LA, CA Questions, Complaints, and Anything Else Ep. VII Return of More Complaints!

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Skyryder, Jul 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skyryder

Skyryder Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 13, 2004
    New complaint for me today.

Having way too much to do and not enough time to do it. I have to pick up two gifts for various reasons for friends. I was going to go on my lunch break. I can't now because I have a volunteer committee meeting at 1pm and that will be counted as my lunch. I really want to go to this birthday luncheon thingy because they are going to a down home country cooking restaurant that I want to try. I don't think I will have time to do it after work because I have dinner plans at 7pm.

However none of this compares to the people in Louisianna and in other places in the world that have real problems.

2. DarthHaskett

DarthHaskett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2003
    I've got a headache now. I want to go home. :(

3. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    You have what, an hour and a half left? I have five and a half.

4. JediBith

JediBith Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2001
    I don't have a real job so I can't really complain anyway, but I am grateful for my toys, my water, my pets, the health of my loved ones, my pillow, my computer and electricity...Not in that order of course.

I don't have a real job so I "get to" watch CNN all day while I'm "working." It's horrible. I just have to try to focus on the good in life or I'd just lie down and cry.

5. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    I haven't been able to watch too much but I'll do what I can to help. Today, during my volunteer meeting we will probably discuss if Sony should send money and if so how and how much.

6. crazybirdman

crazybirdman Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    You should sent TV's so people stop stealing them. Why are people taking audio/video equipment in a town that is flooded?

7. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    At the time of my last post I had more than 2 hours left, thank you very much.

CBM, you bring up a very interesting point. I don't understand people sometimes.

My head still hurts. I think I'm coming down with something.

I'm going to buy a new watch today, not the one I originally thought of getting though because I tried one on and the face is ridiculously huge. I found another really nice one. I had to talk to Mr. DH first before taking the plunge. It's a lot less expensive too.

8. Elensara

Elensara Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    Yes, sometimes, watching 360 is quite amusing, but those are the slow news weeks. This is just terrible...and they said something about FEMA stopping rescuse boats from searching among houses because of snipers...so what, all those people trapped in/at their houses are going to be left to starve to death? And police (yesterday, I think) stopping search-and-rescue work to try to contain the looters--come on! Everything's pretty much a loss anyway, aren't lives worth more than plasma tvs? At least they're probably helping keep other crimes down, if only while they're right there. :/

9. SoloJedi

SoloJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2001
    Ok this is something VERY VERY WEIRD.....if anyone out there is a tech freak please give me your opinion:

My mom was in TX yesterday getting ready for her trip back home (here). She got a call on her cell phone (which is a 626 area code) from my sister-in-law's grandma who ALSO lives in TX. She was calling from the land line to my mom's cell....HERE'S where it gets weird!
    HERE in Pasadena, CA my mom's "stepmom's" phone rings, she checks her caller ID, sees my mom's cell number and picks up assuming she was calling. The stepmom was able to hear the ENTIRE conversation that my mom and "grandmom" were having in TX!

HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN?????:eek: :confused: [face_thinking]

10. Elensara

Apr 2, 2002
    Was she anywhere near the Gulf? Cell phones are supposed to be messed-up for miles around there. That is pretty weird though. I think a couple of times (not recently) I've heard parts of other phone conversations on my cell phone. Maybe that's why we aren't allowed to use 'em on planes...

11. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    You know, things are all messed up in Texas so I think we can just blame it on the state. ;)

They say the price of gas is going to go way up because we lost so many refineries as a result of Katrina. No esta bien. :_| I guess I should have bought a car that was more fuel efficient.

Oddly enough, a co-worker and I were invited to take this training a couple of months back. It was to learn how to help in disaster situations. Neither of us decided to take the training because you have to sign something saying you'll go wherever you are needed and both of us have family responsibilities. I feel sort of bad now because maybe I could have helped out there but at the same time it would have been a big strain on Mr. DH and our padawan. :(

12. SoloJedi

Sep 10, 2001
    Actually she was in San Antonio visiting my brother. We don't know if maybe my stpegrandma's caller ID just happened to pick it up or what....."Dangerous and disturbing this puzzle is"

I think it's my mom's cell BECAUSE yesterday HERE at home, she went outside to get the mail, as she was coming back in, she stopped to talk to the next door neighbor...she was holding the cellphone. LATER that night, my sister-in-law calls and told my mom she heard my mom talking with the neighbor....HOW WEIRD!!!!!:eek: [face_worried]

13. Jundland_Jay

Jundland_Jay Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 18, 2003
    Gas was $3.09 per gallon this morning for 87!!!! OMG, arent the oil barons rich enough???

14. SoloJedi

Sep 10, 2001
    "POWER!!!!! UNLIMITED POWER!!!!!![face_money_eyes] [face_money_eyes] [face_dancing]
    That's their motto....still, we could be paying Europe and South American prices for gas. It was going up before Katrina hit so now it's just a great excuse for them to use. I can understand being affected a bit....but not to ht people in need. The news showed that some states over there were charging $4-$6 per gallon......

15. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    They say about 25% of the oil in this country is processed in that area. That is the reasoning behind the increase. Amazing.

16. Elensara

Apr 2, 2002
    On Wednesday, gas costs in Minneapolis equaled the prices here. Usually we're 30-50cents per gallon more. I can't wait 'till we hit $5! :/ If we do, maybe I'll actually start taking the Big Blue Bus to school.

DH--I kinda want to go help too, but then I'd have to give up/waste another semester, and I don't know what I'd do for money. It's such a bad situation over there...those poor people.

17. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    I was reading an article about all of the people who are putting their normal lives on hold to go and help. I wish I were in that situation. I feel really bad. I guess they always need money.

On a happy note, they raised over $60,000 during the Kevin and Bean show this morning. I wonder if they are going to have another Big A$$ Auction to help.

Also somewhat related, if you do donate, there are a lot of scams out there so be careful.

18. Elensara

Apr 2, 2002
    I don't have any money. I can only offer me. I can ask my parents to give some, I think they gave some for tsunami aid.

19. JediBith

Nov 6, 2001
    I think I'm pretty mad right now. Help is so slow. What would happen to us if this happened here? What if there was an actual terrorist attack? I guess I'm mad because my faith in my country has been shattered.

I just cannot believe this is my America...

20. Elensara

Apr 2, 2002
    Maybe we've become complacent behind our reputation of strength and we're not the superior, impervious country we assume we are. What would happen to *us*? Best not to think of that, considering we probably wouldn't have sufficient warning before an earthquake or tsunami to evacuate. I haven't turned on CNN yet today. Still no help getting through?(!)

21. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    The biggest problem is containing and draining the water. The Army Corps of Engineers is in charge and they are stumped. They need to temporarily rebuild the dikes so they can drain off the water but where does one find all that sand and how does one transport it through flooded terrain (helicopters). There's talk that they are just going to let the flood waters recede because the existing lake is draining. This will take a while. Once they get rid of the water and stabilize the ground (there's a potential for liquifacation though the soil is already super saturated), they can start to rebuild. I would not lose faith in America yet.

As for if it were to happen here, we would be in much better shape. We do not live below the sea level and we have more resources here than there. Also, as stated before, many of the residents did not have transportation and so using what little public transportation is left has made it difficult to evacuate people.

I have complete faith in our country, our people, and our God. I know that we will weather this disaster out and become a stronger nation for it. Of course many people feel I am way too naive to realize how wrong I can be.

"Always look on the bright side of life..."

[Steps off her soap box and bows]

22. JediBith

Nov 6, 2001
    I try to keep my faith, but no real help seems to come. It's just so nasty.

23. Elensara

Apr 2, 2002
    That's true that at least we're above sea level. Isn't Santa Monica like 16 feet above? So yes, we wouldn't stay flooded forever here. (There you go, JB. :) )
    I heard some Kevin & Bean this week, and one day they were complaining about other countries not offering us money. WTH? We're supposedly the richest, most powerful country...we barely help other disaster areas, we can at least (or SHOULD, at any rate) help our own. (I'm talking about the government aid, not charity organizations and donations from people/companies.) They did add that a few countries had offered, then the other added that more should have, as it's nice to offer. Silly radio guys.

24. JediRacer

JediRacer Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 5, 2000
    Yeah, I don't know why it's taking so long for our government to respond. Bush said that he will step up efforts, but it's too late already. Chaos and anarchy is ruling the area and people are dying. I usually avoid political discussion, but the lack of aid from our own government sickens me. I'm surprised no one has started an "Impeach Bush" campaign like they did for Clinton. Yes, I am a Republican.

25. Elensara

Apr 2, 2002
    You're pretty rational/logical for a Republican. That's why I like you, JR.
    The Bush administration can do no wrong. They've f---ed up so much, all these scandals, misdirection and lies, and yet at least half the country still follows him. This is what sickens me. I've been nauseous for years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.