main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LA, CA Questions, Complaints and Anything Else... Episode IV: A New Thread

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Tikei-Fore-Tu-Wan, Aug 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthHaskett

DarthHaskett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2003
    He's been strangely silent of late. Most have been so of late.

2. SoloJedi

SoloJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2001
    Hey all -
    sorry i've been MIA. Been busy with work and school and studying and personal stuff. Also, i haven't really had a nything to post or add to the threads.
    Thanks for those who noticed! [face_blush].

I went to see "Sky Captain" last night and i give it a 7 on a 1-10.
    There are MANY star wars references, direct and indirect in the film. and of course of indiana jones as well but mostly SW.
    1) door with the number "1138"
    2) a landing platform number "327"
    3) a very Dagobah-esque landing and if you listen closely it even sounds like it.
    4) same "dagobah" scene, a sea/bog monster which hides under the water EXACTLY like in TESB (the one who swallows R2)
    5) Bai ling's character of "Mysterious woman" very darth maulish

There may be more but those are the ones which stood out the most.

The story is very campy. humor is ok...just go see it, sit back anjoy have fun. don't expect much.
    The first half i was so consumed in looking for the bluescreen work that it distracted from the story.
    but towards the end, it got better.

ok, hope everyone is doing great! 3 more days and then we can review the SW dvds and come to our own conclusions as to if they are "better" or "worse" with all the changes...

p.s. got my entertainment weekly magazine yesterday...fron cover Star Wars characters..MAN, you can really tell how "outdated" the OT is compared to the prequals.....

3. Skyryder

Skyryder Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 13, 2004
    Good to hear from you SoloJedi. I am planning to see Sky Captain sometime tomorrow. I also got my copy of EW, I have flipped through the article, but haven't read it yet.

4. JediRacer

JediRacer Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 5, 2000
    I want to see Sky Captain also. Last night I watched Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence and THX1138. Ghost in the Shell is an anime movie. It was good, but I didn't understand what was going on. It was good to look at. THX1138 was as weird as it always has been for me. But it looked good digitally projected.

Nice to have you back SoloJedi.

I got my Entertainment Weekly also.. do we all subscribe to that magazine?

5. Elensara

Elensara Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    I used to, but moved too much and my subscription was lost or something. I miss it so!

6. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    Summer subscribes to it, so I get to read it, and she said I could keep this particular issue.

Tonight, I was shocked to meet a guy who swears that he has never seen any of the Star Wars movies. I found myself puzzled by him the rest of the evening. Understand this I can not.

Also, a crazy thing happened tonight. I was doing "door man" duties for a friend's improv show in Hollywood. Well, there were about 100 different things going on in the area and some were pretty fancy. Anyway, a lady comes up to the door and says that she is on the list for the show. I said "Yes, and your name"? And she replied, Rebecca De Mornay. I felt like an idiot, because I didn't recognize her, but then she felt like an idiot for going to the wrong door. I told her that the event she was looking for was next door. She was very pleasant and even inquired about our show and what we were doing. Then she left. Weird. Everyone in our show wished that I had told her to stay, but I couldn't have lied. And she would have caught on.

7. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    I guess I'm going to have to pick up a copy for myself. I don't subscribe to that particular periodical.

You know, I probably would not have recognized Rebecca De Mornay either.

On a totally different note, today is International Talk Like A Pirate Day! Aaarrrrhhhh! 'Ave a merry day, me hearties!

8. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    Okay, I have to vent now. I've already thrown a squeezie ball against the wall a couple of times and cursed a couple of times and got really angry. On KROQ this morning, actually about 20 minutes ago, they announced a contest to win some Star Wars goodies. I immediately tried to call but did not get through. Ralph said he was going to award the goodies to a real fan so the question was going to be hard. Get this, "What are the names of Luke's aunt and uncle?" LAME! The prize went to some lame-o somewhere. It was the DVDs, Battlefront, and a Master Replicas FX saber. MAN! I'm really mad now. AAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! I hate when unworthy people win things that should rightfully be mine!

9. NaboosPrincess

NaboosPrincess Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 14, 2001
    Whoa those are some really awesome prizes. Sorry you didn't get through, DH. :(

That question is seriously not that hard at all, geez.

10. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    That's what I thought too. I was so mad and I'm still in a bit of a funk. Man!

11. Elensara

Apr 2, 2002
    I'll second the 'lame'. They could have at least worded it 'How is Luke Skywalker related to Owen and Beru Lars'...then more people would've been confused, and "good" people wouldn't have heard operator tones or busy signal, right?

12. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    I can't believe this. I know the name of Luke's aunt and uncle better than I know my own. Why oh why? I would have loved those prizes. I need them.

13. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    They are going to run the contest again later this morning so if you have a radio handy then try. I'm going try again. Same prize.

DAMN! DAMN! DAMN! DAMN! DAMN! The question was what is the name of the bounty hunter Han Solo confronts at the Cantina! DAMN!

14. Elensara

Apr 2, 2002
    I scoff at their "trivia".

15. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    I completely agree but I would love to get their prize, even though I already have my DVDs and Battlefront.

I think my computer (which is less than a year old) is unworthy to play Battlefront. It's really slow. It could be the AutoCad program. I don't really know. Man! That and I am really lame at these kinds of games. I'm going to have to practice a bit.

LAME! LAME! LAME! LAME! LAME! Today's "trivia" question was "What is Princess Leia's last name?" Man! Any way, Carrie Fisher is going to be on KROQ later this morning, my guess is around the 9 o'clock hour.

16. crazybirdman

crazybirdman Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    Yeah the questions are really easy. You should call early and just stay on the line. tell them "Trust me I'll know the answer"

17. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    I did that yesterday. He would not let me stay on hold. I tried. :_| Any way, I was in a big meeting this morning so I missed the Carrie Fisher interview.

18. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    Thursday's "trivia" question was name the planet the Death Star blew up. LAME!

Today's was slightly better. Name the city in which the Cantina is located.

19. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    Since we are Hasketting all the treads, I thought I would bump this one back up to the front so we can use it. And for a moment, I had something important to say, but I have since forgotten it while looking for this thread. I'm only 30, I can't be so forgetful.

20. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    Really, I keep trying to bring the thread back to the original topic so the verb "to Haskett" will mean to bring the topic back. Oh well, maybe I'll be in Webster's some day, like Frindle.

21. JediRacer

JediRacer Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 5, 2000
    All the other topics have been Hasketted.. I'm afraid to see what will be here when I come back.

22. JediBith

JediBith Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2001
    JR, we will TRY to be good!

23. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    Here is an "Anything Else", so it can go with this thread.
    During lunch today, being I had nothing else to do, I went to Toys R Us and noticed that they have been doing some reorganization. They had for a long time the Star Wars section along a long wall with other things but there wasn't a lot of Star Wars just a few items here and there. Well, today I walked over the usual place and noticed that they were all gone! I was scared at first and then ran around the store until I found them. They were moved to a section all of their own and there was tons of stuff, old and new. That makes me believe that they are getting ready to do something for the Holidays. I was good though and didn't buy anything, but really I wanted to, but I need to save for CIII.

24. JediBith

JediBith Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2001
    Hey, SR, did I hear you majored in Anthropology? What school/subfield? I did too, and used to teach Linguistic Anthropology at Cal State. This is all cool to discuss under this thread, right?

:)

JB

25. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    It is the anything thread so I guess so. Yes, JB I majored in Sociology and Anthropolgy with a little bit of social work mixed in at the University of Texas at Austin (Hook em Horns!).
    Different cultures fascinate me, and I mainly studied Asian cultures. That is why I started the quiz Sunday with a species section and why I love the calendar thing each day. I just love looking at people and cultures. We should talk more about it next meeting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.