LA, CA Questions, Complaints, and Anything Else thread

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by JediRacer, Sep 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediRacer Jedi Knight

star 5
    Since it's hard for some of us to stay on topic in some threads, I created this one so you can say whatever you want about anything.. within the TOS of course.

Complaint: I tried taking the Metro Gold Line into work today (I live in Pasadena, I work in Downtown LA). It took me an HOUR AND 45 MINUTES!! It usually takes me 30 minutes door to door. Of course I had to transfer to a bus to get to my office. But I don't think I will be taking public transportation to work anymore.

Question: Since I'm single, I have to iron my own clothes. I iron my shirts, but they still look wrinkled. What can I do to make them look nice.

Edit: Locked by request of CR
  2. Darth-Bubba Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Most dry cleaners take others coupons. If you wear an undershirt, I get (2) wears out of my dress shirt. For $1.00 to $1.25, get them laundered, (NOT DRY CLEANED) medium starch. You will look fine.

(the 100% cottons wrinkle more, but should also last two wears)

I realized 15-20 minutes per shirt was not worth the spending the buck a piece.

Can't help you with public transportation. Move to Boston, New York or D.C.

P.P.S. There are two things you can buy. One is called an "Iron" you put water in it. The second is called starch.
  3. TIE1138 Jedi Master

star 4
    Hey Matt

Yeah, public transportation plain and simply sucks in LA. I got back from New York yesterday where public transportation is more convenient than anything. Hopefully LA will catch on and build more subways and make all public transportation more convenient.

As far as the wrinkles in your clothes go, you might want to try purchasing a product from Downy called Wrinkle Releaser. All you do is spray it on the wrinkled area and use your hand to smoothen out the wrinkles. You don't want to use too much, or your clothes will be soaked for a while. It also makes your clothes smell downy fresh.
  4. SoloJedi Jedi Padawan

star 4
    ummmm.......... ummmmmm.........
    I'm bored! does this fit into this thread???
    Haven't tried the new metro yet, though i have a station 2 blocks from my house.
    My bet on your shirts racer...take em to the cleaners...if you have wrinkles and/or stains just tell them to "Wipe them out...ALL of them!" :D

Sorry as stated before...i'm, bored!!!
  5. JediRacer Jedi Knight

star 5
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'm too lazy to take my clothes to the cleaners though. But I have in the past and they do a good job, and it's a lot less hassle.

SoloJedi, post WHATEVER you feel like here. If you're bored, you can go to my townhouse, rake the leaves and pull out all the weeds in my patio. I give you permission.
  6. SoloJedi Jedi Padawan

star 4
    thanks racer.... you are most kind to help me out with my boredom.
    I'd much rather see your SW collection instead.
    I finally watched the TPM DVD with audio commentary the other night. Very neat stuff.
    Lucas made an interesting comment at one point that got me thinking but i won't post it as it could be considered *spoiler* for EP III.

what do you guys think of the rumor that the classic trilogy will be coming out on DVD in 2004?
  7. Darth-Bubba Jedi Padawan

star 4
    post it post it, or PM me...
  8. Darth-Bubba Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Complaints Complaints Complaints...

1. I hate that stupid people bring cell phones into movies, and don't turn them off.

2. I hate the fact that a core group of LA "Right Wing Types" are censoring and dictating the nature of entertainment one can have, (in LA City) and preaching their morals/ethics to the rest of us. This is despite the fact that 100's of ladies are literally going to loose thousands of dollars per week, and loose their primary source of income. (I am being careful here) Plus, many people will loose their jobs be it bartenders, bouncers, distributors, truck drivers, DJ?s? ..etc. Most of you know what I am referring. It was all over the news last night.

3. I hate the fact that despite I am 32, in relatively good shape, my knees get sore after only running 2-2.25 miles on the treadmill three times a week. What happened to stamina, muscle memory, and in general being young.

4. I most most most hate the fact that I now read the labels and look at carbs. and calorie intakes on the sides of food I eat.

5. I hate the fact (regardless to how I vote) that my state is spending 100's of millions dollar to attempt a recall. Whether it happens or not, nothing will get resolved, and nothing will get fixed. But, Mrs. Darth-Bubba's tuition increased 30%, our car registration is up 200%, and unemployment is still high. A new governor can not fix the issue. Take out the whole group, and take nobody out at all.

6. I hate the fact that OPEC is dictating what we pay for gas simply because it is a holiday weekend, or they need another Rolls Royce in their garage. I remember when Gas was $1.50 per gallon for supreme.

Darth-Bubba
    7. (bonus) I hate the fact that 24 Hour Fitness (or Bally's) sales as many memberships as they can, and could care less if there are 5 or 500 people in the gym on Monday/ Tuesday. I hate working all day, and waiting in line to attempt to stay healthy. Too many crowds.

I you reply to complaint # 2, keep in mind TOS and keep it vague. We all know the topic.
  9. SoloJedi Jedi Padawan

star 4
    *SPOILER*
    *SPOILER*
    *SPOILER*
    CAUTION READ ONLY IF YOU DARE!!!!

Could be considered spoiler for some (though it may be obvious to some)

With the speculation as to wether Palpy and Darth sidious are the same person:
    In the scene towards the beginng of TPM when sid's hologram appears before the nimoudians (sp?) Lucas says: "i wanted to introduce the emperor as we first saw him in TESB as ahologram" or something to that extent.
    Point being, for those of us who aren't/weren't sure if palpy=sidious this could be the smoking gun that they are indeed the same person.....
    Unless of course GL pulls another one of those "certain point of view" things on us.

There it is, not much news but i found it interesting that even way back in EP I, this was meant to be true.....

BUBBA -
    I didn't watch the news last night....what was it that ticked you off??
  10. Darth-Bubba Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Solo,
    That spoiler is right up there with:

Darth Vader gets a shiny black costume to wear. Pretty obvious, in my opinion.
  11. DarthHaskett Jedi Knight

star 5
    I refused to read the spoiler and appreciate the warnings.

Regarding topic 2, I am not a crazy right winged person but don't really appreciate such establishments. I would also hardly call the people who work there, "ladies". Be that as it may, I will hop off my soap box for a minute to say that people have a right to decide what they want to waste their money on. If that is what they want then there should be a venue for such entertainment options.

I completely agree with Darth-Bubba on the gas prices. I am so sick and tired of paying for gas that I am planning on purchasing a hybrid vehicle when my old car dies (or in 2 years, which ever comes first).

I don't know how to respond to the whole governor thing. I am inclined to believe that we were led to our current situation. Whether it was with Governor Davis' hand or his cronies, I don't know but I believe it was under his regime. I agree. Throw all of them out.

While I am complaining, I know few can appreciate my grief but our new City Engineer is a jerk and I can't believe I will have to continue my career with him at the helm.

Okay, I think I have vented enough.
  12. JediRacer Jedi Knight

star 5
    re: Bubba's #2 I also believe that this ruling is unjust. People who wanted this, have no idea of what they are fighting for.. it just what they imagine to be happening.

I have to disagree with Darth Haskett and say that the new City Engineer for the City of LA is not a jerk. He is not a bad person.

OK.. You are free to state your opinions, but please no fighting here!! I wanted this to be kind of lighthearted.. no fingerpointing, no blaming of specific people.. you know what I mean.
  13. Silent_Bob_West Jedi Master

star 2
    Oh Cool, a griping thread. I responded to a complaining thread on the JC boards and one person thought I was stalking them. Without mentioning names(to please the TOS zealots), this person has managed to alienate themselves from both LAFF and OCFF and blames everybody else for his/her(keep it anonymous) problems. I am sure some of you know who this is and I am glad we have this thread to be able to vent a few things. This person believes that by simply responding to one of their public posts I am guilty of stalking them. This person has also mangaged to insult people I have respect for in both LAFF and OCFF. They even think I am violating the TOS. Well, if said person responds to this tread, it would be pretty clear that maybe they should look at themselves in the mirror before they accuse others of stalking.

In other news, I have one unrelated gripe. What posesses a parent to bring infants to an R rated movie? It happened to me once and in the middle of the Movie Traffic, a baby started to cry. Intead of taking the baby outside to calm it down, the lady just walked up and down the ailes of the theater to try to stop the noise and she got mad at the one person who called her on it. This happens a lot. If I am ever a parent, I will either wait for the movie to come out on video ,get a baby sitter, or simply not go. The only time you shoud bring a baby to the theater is if it's a family film.
  14. SoloJedi Jedi Padawan

star 4
    well, i'm gonna avoid the political issue...
    But, as for my *spoiler* post, yeah it might not sound like anything new or what we already know BUT, i just thought it was interesting how lucas already said this and people are still debating issue....(oops almost let it slip out)

As for SBW comment, i agree. Small children or babies don't belong in movie theaters...sheesh, even an animated movie is not right if the child is too young to even see or know what's going on.
    I know there are some theater chains that have signs posted stating that no children will be allowed in anything over PG-13... I applaud them. I have nothing against children , heck i was one once....but there are some people who don't know how to be parents....and trying shoosh a baby or walk them up and down the aisle during a film bothering others is a total lack of respect...

Man and to think this thread all started cause Racer can't iron his own clothes [face_mischief] 8-}

Haskett, if you wanna read the post i put regarding EP III, it's ok...it's not really anything new....just something i picked up on a bit late....
  15. JediRacer Jedi Knight

star 5
    Along the same lines, I hate it when people TALK during movies. Man, so many movies have been ruined for me by people constantly talking during the movie. When I saw The Hulk, this guy behind me was talking to his son throughout the entire movie! They were talking so loud you could hear their voices reverbing. Everybody was "shh"ing them. It happens all the time now. It's forcing me to see movies at the Arclight Cinemas, where it costs $11-14 for a movie.
  16. Darth-Bubba Jedi Padawan

star 4
    doesn't anyone care about my sore knees, chloresteral intake, or calorie consumption?

I have been very angry too at theatres when people chat, this includes previews. Shut the heck up! Silence is Golden.
  17. SoloJedi Jedi Padawan

star 4
    sorry to hear about your knees....
    I too have knee problems, also lower back pain. My ankles are tweeked and tend to bother me from time to time. My shoulders hurt, especially the left one. My wrists and fingers crack and creek all the time...
    Man i should be like vader and get me a life support suit to keep me going! :D

Have you gone to see the Dr. about yur knees?
    You know, in time, the more stress or strain we put to them by running or playing or in my case walking on cement all day at work it's bound to have an impact on our knees.

Maybe he can prescribe some form of exercise or treatment for them.
    Maybe the taking in of too much *special* drinks is causing it. ;)
  18. JediRacer Jedi Knight

star 5
    Sorry, I'm selfish and I only care about MY problems. Just kidding. Those are the factors of getting old my friend. I too, do not have the energy that I used to have. Although I don't have any urgent health problems (knock on wood), I do read nutrition labels, and try to cut down on fat, cholesterol, and sodium (you like how I always bring the discussion back to me?). I hope you have your concerns under control.
  19. TIE1138 Jedi Master

star 4
    That sucks about the knees, Marshall. I don't have any knee problems, but I do have a slipped disk, giving me the back of a 70 year old.

People who talk during films bother the heck out of me too. A whisper may be granted, but talking is just plain rude, and so is having your seat kicked or shaken by the person behind you.

But the worst of all would have to be making sound effects at a John Williams concert. If we wanted sound effects, we would make our own. 8-}
  20. SoloJedi Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Bubba -
    "I am concerned about our poster/thread starter JediRacer. He is not ready to be given this assignment on his own. He still has much to learn.. His abilities for posting have made him...arrogant."

"It's a flaw more and more common among posters. Too sure of themselves (read: full of it) they are. Even the older more experienced ones" :( 8-}

"We must be patient. Afterall, he is the one who will bring balance back into these posts"

Back to the complaints....i hate it when people cut you off in traffic without putting their blinkers. also, when they turn in front of you or cut you off when no one's behind me for miles.
    Oh my look at me, talking about MY problems MY complaints how rude..... [face_laugh]
    Hope YOUR knees feel better man!!!
  21. Darth-Bubba Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Tie1138, YOU'RE AWESOME. That was soooooooooo funny.

Actually, I am seeing my primary care physician on Monday.

Food for thought: Sam Adams light has less calories, less fat, and more grams of protien then regular coke or pepsi. I see a new diet coming.

Remember, this is a dietary thread, nothing else.
    Edit: May be off on calories. 124 calories vs. 100.
  22. JediRacer Jedi Knight

star 5
    Bubba-fewer calories, and protein? I think I will stop drinking Coke and more of that miricle beverage.

SoloJedi - I hope that rumor about the OT DVD's is true! I can't wait for those. You know, Lucasfilm should just release the movies now (or really 3 or 4 years ago). Then release a "collector's edition" later with all the goodies that they want to put in. People like us would buy both. I personally have 4 sets of VHS tapes of the OT (talking about me again). Everyone would be happy!
  23. LordJedi Jedi Padawan

star 4
    5. I hate the fact (regardless to how I vote) that my state is spending 100's of millions dollar to attempt a recall.

I wouldn't normally respond to something like this, except that I think it's got a bit of disinformation in it.

First, the state is only spending between 30 and 45 million dollars on the recall. Second, it's only happening because enough signatures were gathered. Like it or not, the recall is a perfectly legal form of redress for the citizens to use. Perhaps if more people had gotten out and voted, the recall would not be happening (remember, it's 15% of the amount of people that voted, not 15% of the total registered voters).

A new governor can and will reduce your car tax (it was raised by the governor, it can be lowered just as easily). A new governor can also demand no cuts in education and refuse to sign a budget that includes education cuts. And one last thing. A new governor can bring companies back to California by getting the cost of unemployment lowered. Get the businesses back and the jobs will come with them.

I would have to agree with most of you on the talking/cell phones during movies. It's gotten to the point where I wait for movies to come out on DVD and then just watch them in the comfort of my home. It's cheaper that way too. $8 per ticket vs $3.50 to rent a DVD.
  24. SoloJedi Jedi Padawan

star 4
    yeah me too racer -
    I have the widescreen vhs of the original....you know the one where han shoots FIRST!!!
    Still if you compare it with the special edition, the new ones aren't too bad cept for greedo shooting 1st. :mad:

I would buy the "normal" DVDs....give uncle george a few bucks so he can do the ultra-super-duper-director's cut-collector's-special editions DVDs.
    That's why i bought those laser disk to DVD versions of the old trilogy and they look prety good.
    Couldn't wait till 06. Glad i waited on the indy trilogy cause those will be out next month! Woo Hoo!!!!
    But something tells me that this rumor may fall through....

"I have a bad feeling about this"
  25. Darth-Bubba Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Interesting insight Lord Jedi... we can only be optmistic that the changes can and will occurr. Ironically, you could not tell from my post, I am actually in favor of the recall. I think it takes more than one person to be changed in order to accomplish what we need.

My dollar figure was obviosly an estimate, but incorporated private dollars on advertising, and government dollars spent as well. We really don't know how much was spent to get peoples message accross, but the whole thing has become (unfortunately) a bad, sick joke. (the people running)

Other things I hate: (see JediRacer, I have a lot of them)

1. If the people in Florida or California are too 1. illiterate 2. old 3. senile 4. uneducated to use the traditional voting method, they should not be permitted to vote.
    Period. The system is not hard or confusing. Get with it people. Punch the ^%#$%^ $##$$% hole with the little stick. Not rocket science. More money wasted by the 9th Court of Appeals. (or whichever court is underlying the process, and trying to delay the vote.

2. Censorship.

3. A certain cable company with a dominat presense in the San Fernando Valley. hint: the name starts and ends with an "A"

I own the original boxed set trilogy, the special edition trilogy, the re-worked/ re-sounded version, and the ones I taped from TV. Yea, three complete boxed sets of the same movies. I personally, love Special Edition. Except the Death Star explosion in Ep. 4 and 6 are the exact same. Ditto with Alderan explosion.

Please don't re-call Darth-Bubba. All this whining is because of Jedi Racers post. It is his fault. Just like SoloJedi said. His abilities have made him arrogant. :D :D :D

So about the Rebel Trooper Helmet
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.