main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LA, CA Questions, Complaints, and Anything Else thread

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by JediRacer, Sep 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediRacer

JediRacer Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 5, 2000
    Good commentary TK. I agree with you. A lot of this reminds me when I was in college. I was the president of the Japanese-American club at UC Irvine, which made me a member of the umbrella Asian American Pacific Islander Student Association. A lot of those members cried "racist" at every little thing. Looking back, those issues were petty concerns. People who write these tirades about how LOTR and Episode I are "racist" are probably academics that never leave college, so they live in their own idealistic world. That's my $.02.

2. Tikei-Fore-Tu-Wan

Tikei-Fore-Tu-Wan Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2003
    luwho spake thusly: Good job giving this guy importance.

Kind of you to notice! I agree with the statement that this fellow is trying to put himself on the map by making inflammatory statements about what's popular at the moment.

Placing "Importance" on this guy's obviously poorly thought-out attack on the films is a microcosmal focus on the greater problem today of Academicia spouting half-truths and asserting opinions as fact. Like Jedi Racer pointed out, it's a rampant problem in many, if not most, of today's post-secondary educational "institutions"... This particular goon is very probably a product of the "progressive" and "culturally nurturing" UCB... Once a hotbed of liberal thought and political idealism, it has become a bastion of left-wing absurdity... a counter-foil, if you will, to the Pat Buchanans and Orel Robertses of the world.

This is what's not OK in my book and it deserves to have importance foisted upon it.

I find it funny that the "nation's future" is being trained in supposed "critical thought" by people such as this man. Pedantic double-talk and obfuscation is no way to get your point across. You may win a single debate by wearing down the opposition with a poitless ramble, but you won't win "the war"... people will eventually figure out that you have no real clue as to what you're talking about.

It's not wrong to question the Government, I think most people feel that it has become a Hydra that serves its own needs far before it ever addresses the needs of the people it "serves"... BUT! Spouting forth your own paranoid social agenda of conformity and non-identity as a counterpoint to the Government's is just plain foolhardy. I don't want to replace an orange with an orange of the same variety, gimme a friggin' fruit salad so I can enjoy the many different flavors of life.

It is important to bring to light the flaws in the thinking of this extreme example for three main reasons:

1: I think he's dead wrong and is trying to take the movies on a whole out of their context and putting it in his confining little model of how life "should be". He supposedly despises the American Empire and its Military-Industrial complex, yet cites Hip-Hop Culture as a refreshing counterpoint to it... The very culture that is driving Consumerism in "minorities" to an all-time high. I literally laughed out loud when I read this statement.

2: The man didn't do his research. He simply saw something "wrong" and went off at the mouth before he looked into wether it was perceived racism or actual. I got upset by the small tag-line on this very site, but I investigate further until I read the actual posted article written by Mr. Hart. My counter-points to his argument are based on years of reading the books, multiple viewings of the films and the content of his own article. He is attempting to pass off assumption as fact, and using half-baked theories, unrefuted by evidence from the books or the films.

3: Medi-fecking-ocrity! It has become the accepted standard and has been perfected in an inverse of Jeet Kune Do (Remove everything that is absolutely necessary and add everything else) by Western Academicia. It was "born" in France in the early sixties, refined in West Germany in the 70's and perfected here in the states in the 90's. Mr. Hart's extreme example of Intentional Banality is unacceptable, as it has a negative effect on many portions of our society. For every person who realizes while they're still in school that this is a joke and they're being ripped off for a supposed "quality" education, there's another one that buys into it hook, line and sinker.

These folks often enter the workforce and need to be retrained in the jobs that they supposedly learned how to do over four years in College. Mediocrity is engendered and rewarded in many of today's universities, havnig lasting negative effects on both the graduate and the workforce on the whole. I am making a mountain out of a molehill with this one example, but it exemplifies a greater problem that is impating society on a who

3. Darth-Bubba

Darth-Bubba Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2002
    Tk421, Why aren't you at your post? Tk 421, Do you copy?

Oh wait, flashbacks again. TK, I liked your rebutal to the article, and your insight. Now given, I only gave his article a 30 second glance, I agree with Lou Who or Jay, he is trying to get on the band wagon to what is popluar. Anyway, my question is this:

1. What was your major in college? I am guessing Political Science or Rhetoric? Perhaps English Literature? Western Civ? You are very good at putting your thoughts and arguements in writing. Ask our group, I don't give compliments a lot. What is your profession?

2. Jay... why is the image so warped? Because it is Darth-Bubba in protest that I could not attend Mardi Gras. I had been to two of them, and was in a warped state of mind. Plus, lets just say the beverage of Captain Jack Sparrow was ingested in large amounts that evening. I was at Mardi Gras in 1996, 1998, but not 2000. :(

3. Jay, I always pay homage, and compliment you when I can, but what is with your signature? A little psycho? Are you flipping out on me Jay?

*~The Stately Stooge of Purply Serenity*~AHPY!
    E-divorced from LowlyEnsignPuddinghead
    "You will always remember this as the day you almost caught Captain Jack Sparrow!"
    PYS Mentor to CptnCrunchamathingamajiggy

If you are e-Divorced, why was I not invited to the e-divorced Bachelor party? They are better than the wedding bachelor parties.

Captain Crunch what? No follow there.

Speaking of not being followed, I saw the Blue man Group on LV this weekend. It was interesting. A little boring in the middle, but enjoyed for the most part. Good show. But not for $100 per show, we had two for one coupons, so it was worth it. Lots of cool music, lights, comedy, and audience interaction. Kind of reminded me of Stomp! a bit.

3. The Insider was full of spoilers this issue. I was surprised. Bet a bunch of you are real pissed off! Quit whinning Lou Who.

3 b. If LouWho had a good point on TK's article... it was an accident/ fluke. He did not mean to sound educated. If so, he spilled coffee on the keyboard and it typed by accident. :D :D Just kidding Lou!

4. As far as I am concerned, Bad Santa should win award for Best Movie, Best Screenplay, Best actor, Best Supporting Actor, Best sound track... OK, I liked it a lot. No Darth-Haskett, do not go see it. everyone else male and/or demented will love it. Billy Bob Thornton was incredible. Seriosuly, the movie was hysterical and incredibly funny. I highly encourage it.

5. Sorry I have been off the boards recently. Had the in-laws in town for 11 days. No, not a typo there.

Did anyone get the DVD Edition of Movie Trivial Pursuit for the holidays? I bought Mrs. D-B Scene it. Looks like a fun game.

Racer, wasn't I supposed to close this at 300? Please have some non-pork items for breakfast Thursday. My thermos is ready!

The real Darth-Bubba has excess gas issues. Not a fun evening here. Does anyone have any bino? :eek:

4. DarthHaskett

DarthHaskett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2003
    I've heard differing opinions on Bad Santa and I never planned to see it any way. Why close it at 400? It's a great thread. I was waiting to be number 400 but it happened while I was driving home so I missed it again! I appreciate the tirades, actually. Interesting thoughts on the subject but there will always be people screaming racist, no matter what the situation. I have learned to ignore such lunatics. Life is easier that way.

5. Tikei-Fore-Tu-Wan

Sep 9, 2003
    My mother got me Scene It? as well. I haven't playe it yet, but it does look good. I was thinking about buying it myself, but it turned out I didn't have to.

D-B: I didn't major in anything, as I couldn't stand what I saw at the various schools I attended. I don't appreciate people trying to tell me how to think and what I should learn whilst attending their class.

So, I guess I attended the University of Hard Knocks. I write for a living, but didn't think that my little diatribes were all that good. My father complimented them as well, which is high praise indeed, as far as I'm concerned.

I consider myself "self-educated". Naturally I've missed some of the finer points of an actual Collegiate education, and gotten lucky as he-double hockey stick with my job, seeing as how, on paper, I'm completely unqualified... But I've seen enough of "College" to feel that I was personally better off without it.

I understand the value of a College education, I'm not saying that people shouldn't go. I'm simply saying that not enough people think for themselves and there's a large amount of "thinkers" in positions of academic authority that abuse the power inherent in their positions.

Universities are hotbeds of thought, creativity and research. I'm all for them. this rant is part of my quixotic quest to get people to think for themselves and not accept anything at face value. Study it and form your own opinion, whatever it may be.

In response to your question #3: I think Jaty is simply satirizing NaboosPrincess' sig, replacing the "Blue Yoda" stuff with Purple, and parodying her "e-marriage" to GrandAdmiralJello...

As for your divorce party observation, I wholeheartedly agree. My ex-wife was a dancer for several years, and the "exit parties" were always the best and wildest of them all...

Edit: Whoops! I didn't do my research... thought it was JediBith's sig, not NaboosPrincess'

6. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    I have to admit there are times that I wonder about the worth of getting a sheepskin. There are plenty of people out there with one and they are as dumb as a post and then there are others without one and they are very intelligent. I suppose it depends on whether you applied yourself in school or not. I wish I had taken the opportunity to have work harder in school.

7. Darth-Bubba

Nov 11, 2002
    hmmm... I never heard a Diploma called a sheepskin. Interesting. Mrs. D-B is working full time, and going to school.

It is very tough and hard on her, but the degree will open up more doors for her line of work. (teaching and writing) Professionally speaking, and being a recruiter for 10 years, it aboslutely makes a huge difference for accounting and finance positions.

The longer you wait to finish, the harder it is to go back. I have so much respect for those who work and attend school simutaneous-ly. Those people are dedicated,

8. JediRacer

Apr 5, 2000
    I think that DH got her diploma when they printed them on sheepskins because paper wasn't invented yet.
    But I do agree with her that there are some that have barely any education, like my grandfather (bless his soul) who is very smart and can do anything. Then there are those who have master degrees, like some of my co-workers, who don't know how to double click a mouse.

9. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    JR knows exactly what I am talking about. There are people with PhD's here and they are the most worthless people you could ever meet. I agree with D-B, I have a lot of respect for people who work fulltime and work at the same time. It is much harder to go back to school after you've been out. It's the whole studying for a reason instead of just reading things for fun difference. I remember studying for the PE and I just couldn't stay awake. Why I ever became an engineer (or how) is beyond me. Once upon a time, (yes, perhaps I am old enough...) they used to use sheepskins for diplomas. Not any more. My brother-in-law got a master's degree from the University of Edinburgh and his is supposed to actually be on sheepskin.

10. crazybirdman

crazybirdman Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    "studying for the PE"

You had to study for Physical Education? :p

11. Tikei-Fore-Tu-Wan

Sep 9, 2003
    Sheepskin refers to Parchment, which is largely made of cotton and flax these days...

12. Jundland_Jay

Jundland_Jay Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 18, 2003
    A diploma in sheep's clothing?

13. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    The PE is the Professional Engineer exam. It's only important if you want a bit more money and the opportunity to promote. I only got it for the money. I don't want to promote.

14. Tikei-Fore-Tu-Wan

Sep 9, 2003
    I wonder how many sheep go to college? I mean if fish go to school...

15. Jundland_Jay

Feb 18, 2003
    Its what crows do that makes me nervous....

16. JediBith

JediBith Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2001
    Heh-heh Jay...I was trying to figure out how to get crows into a rejoinder! Nicely done!

JB

17. Tikei-Fore-Tu-Wan

Sep 9, 2003
    Perhaps the crows "flock" to a "school" with "murder" on their minds?

18. jedibendubruce

jedibendubruce Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 27, 2002
    Those who graduated with a degree in liquid education say Aye. I found most of my ?fill? classes were based more on the professor?s opinions than the $40 books we were required to buy. Don?t bother reading & when you take the test hope the prof hadn?t been drinking when he wrote it up. I studied chemical engineering, am now doing nothing remotely related, made a lot of friends I still talk to & no matter how many people tell me pies are round I still say pi r squared. IMHO, it all depends on what you want to accomplish-my father said some Phd?s stand for ?piled higher & deeper?. Lot?s of luck to anyone in college & always follow your path :D .

-Disclaimer: These are just my humble ideas & experiences.

19. JediRacer

Apr 5, 2000
    On the tf.n main page there's a crazy story about ALBINOs being portrayed negatively in AOTC. This has been bothering me all day, since for the life of me, I can't recall any albinos.. let alone EVIL ALBINOs in AOTC..and I've seen the movies too many times to count. I just saw it the day after New Years as a matter of fact. This kinda goes along with the earlier discussion of how people link their own ideas to popular culture just to bring their idea into the forefront.

Here's a list of the evil people in AOTC:
    a) Darth Sidious - he's white, but not albino
    b) Count Dooku - also white, and old..not albino.
    c) Kaminoans? - not really evil, not human.
    the answer must be that Sypho-Dyas is an albino! but we don't know who he is. Plus Silent Bob West insists he's Mexican (Sipho-Dias).. so he's not probably not albino either.

The guy who wrote this story is an ignoramus. Albino's are rarely portrayed in any media!! I can't even think of any evil albino!!

20. Tikei-Fore-Tu-Wan

Sep 9, 2003
    And I thought I was the only one who didn't understand the Albino reference to AotC... I hated the movie, but I balk when anyone tries to call something er... "conditionist???" unfoundedly. But then again, had anyone heard of this BOAH or whatever group it was before they cried wolf? This fecktarded whining about percived slights has gone on for far too long... When did the "American Way" become: Whine, Cry and Moan your way to financial freedom? The meek, weak and feeble-minded have taken over the country by panering to the politicians and then becoming said politicians. "We need a new President... a STRONG President."

But seriously, the old way of Might Makes Right is equally as retarded, but way more effectual. Somewhere inbetween is that Arthurian balance between Brute Force and the Court... Will we ever get there?

We Just Might!

21. Darth-Bubba

Nov 11, 2002
    There was a bad albino in the Goldy Hawn Movie where she is chased through San Francisco. Me thinks.... Seems like old times. He is evil. I think in 1978 or 1980 it came out.

Now, as for Sipho-Diaz, I think it is Pablo the Lesser! I still think I got screwed.

22. Tikei-Fore-Tu-Wan

Sep 9, 2003
    Chased through San Fran? I thought '78 was a bit early for her... Wasn't Private Benjamin released in '80? Wow, I hadn't realized she did so much crap in between Laugh-In and Pvt. Benjamin... Here's what you were thinking of Lord Bubba...

23. Darth-Bubba

Nov 11, 2002
    Hey, I got the year correct, and the star correct. And the city correct.

So what's with a title anyway. It has an albino in it.

24. Jundland_Jay

Feb 18, 2003
    The movie in question is 1978's Foul Play, starring Chevy Chase and Goldie Hawn. The movie also featured Dudley Moore as a swinging bacheleor.

25. JediRacer

Apr 5, 2000
    The movie's about evil albinos, dwarves, and Catholics. Sounds like a good time.. they can't make movies like that anymore. These self-righteous do gooders will have a fit!

Is this the thread about the new glasses or the meeting?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.