Questions, Complaints, and Anything Else thread

Discussion in 'Los Angeles, CA' started by JediRacer, Sep 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jundland_Jay Jedi Master

star 4
    Post #425!!!

As long as we can complain, I need to complain about the new Master Replicas Force FX Luke ROTJ saber. The Vader and Luke saber came out at the same time. I ordered both, and only the Vader saber has light that travels up and down the blade when turned on or off. The Luke, although cool, only glows on and off like the older Anakin one.

What's up with that?
  2. JediRacer Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Jundland_Jay,
    I read somewhere that they tried out the "red" electroluminescent material that they use in the Anakin and Luke FX (same material used in Indiglo watches), but it didn't look right.. it looked more pink. So they decided to use 72 (I think it's 72, I may be wrong) red LED's to light up the Vader FX blade. The LEDs are brighter and have the ability, given the right electronics, to light sequentially or in any other pattern. That's why the Vader FX rocks!

SOMEONE cracked the blade in my Vader FX.. ok.. well, it was already cracked when I received it, but since the crack was symmetrical, I thought it was supposed to be that way..until SOMEONE had to smack it around and made the crack worse. I called Master Replicas and they are supposed to send me a new one. I sent back only the battery holder and the end cap. So perhaps we can dissect the broken remains of my Vader FX and see what makes it so rad.
  3. DarthHaskett Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I wonder if the crazy albino complainer confused the Matrix with AOTC. I don't recall any albinos either. Perhaps the best loved albino is the one in The Princess Bride (not a real albino but still...)

Somehow JR's blade got broken, I remember that...I need to get one also. I need JR's disposible income.

Complaint du jour: why must really popular groups play large (and crappy) venues. I understand that there are tons of fans (hence the popularity) but it makes you not want to go because you can't get a good seat unless you spend a small fortune. I wish they would just play 4 or 5 days in smaller venues.
  4. crazybirdman Force Ghost

star 4
    I wish Ticketmaster wouldn't chagre you 8 dollars per ticket to go to a concert, but oh well.
  5. JediRacer Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Jundland_Jay
    I just called MR just now and they will be shipping out my NEW Vader FX Saber soon! Give them a call if you have problems with your Luke FX. Their customer service is excellent, well, in my experience.

Back to concerts. I know I'm getting old when I think that concerts are too loud. The last concert I went to, Rush, was so loud I had to wear earplugs to enjoy it (I brought earplugs because I had a feeling it was going to be really loud). The volume was so high that the sound was distorting in my ears. Plus they wouldn't let me into the Blockbuster Amphitheater with the little pocket knife I have on my keychain, but they were letting in people with bongs, pipes and other drug paraphernalia. Needless to say, everyone around me was stoned.
  6. Tikei-Fore-Tu-Wan Jedi Master

star 4
    Fortunately for me, I happen to despise live music for the most part. One of the few bands that puts on a show that's every bit as good (sound-quality wise) as their recordings is the always-rockin' Pantera. I've seen five shows of theirs (two from Vulgar Display tour and three (consecutive nights) from the Far Beyond tour, where Prong(blecch) and Sepultura opened for them (and promptly stole the show, they absolutely r00l live.)

Concerts are a racket for the most part. I'll pay that kind of money to go to a play or an opera, but not a friggin' concert, where I have to listen to thousands of other screaming idiots gush over how good that last song was when the band was clearly off the mark, and the best are those "festival" shows where they never tell you when the one band you wanted to see is going to do their set so that you sit there all day in a giant fishbowl with the sun set to somewhere between bake and broil, while the throng of idiot-savant revelers gush over the latest and greatest band that MTV told them to like goes through the motions, pretending to care about their fans, but really hating them for liking such commercialized crap, "forcing" them to pander to the lowest common denominator, all the while knwoing that the one song that they did put their hearts into will be ground into so much moron chow by the radio stations who'll overplay the one inspired piece on the album until even the most hardcore pop-culturally lobotomized vidiot is saying enoughs' enough.

Am I bitter about the music industry? Errrrr, HELL YEAH! Am I pissed at myself for having enough principle to deny myself the pleasure of listening to Metallica because of their idiotic stance on internet file sharing? Slightly. That recent episode of South Park explained it best, I think. "Lars Ulrich wanted to get a gold-plated sharktank bar for his poolside this month, but because you downloaded his music, he'll have to wait a few months to be able to afford it."

Why Metallica? Why not just refuse to listen to music altogether?

A. I'm not that strong-willed. I need my tuneage.

B. Metallica, more than any other band currently out there rode the backs of its hardcore fanbase to the top. They couldn't even make it in the industry until they proved that their grassroots efforts had rounded up a huge "cult" following.

C. I don't blame them for going "commercial", the black album shot them into the stratosphere as far as earnings and popularity go. But they're turning their backs on the very people that got them where they are today, their fans, the grassroots people that don't want to pay 14 to 17 dollars for their crap-laden CD that may have only one or two good songs on it. Fuel and Ain't My Bitch aren't terrible, but are they comparable to Harvester of Sorrow, Fade to Black, Eye of the Beholder, etc.? Not in this man's humble opinion.

So they've lost a step... no biggie, they're now nearing their fifties, and staying that pissed off for that long is probably impossible. As I said, I can't expect them to make every album like Ride, Master or Justice, where every single track is a legend in and of itself, where the mere mention of those albums makes the newer generation of musicians wet their pants and giggle like a groupie. I'll give them some slack, because there's no way in hell I could even write a song up to their lowered standards of today... that's not where my talents lie.

I, much like Jason Newstead, chose to walk away fom Metallica because they had gotten so far away fom the core beliefs that brought them to their current "Rock Gods" status. They value the average consumer idiot's dollar more than people who have been listening to them for 20 years'. They can continue ot peddle inferior product and as long as they make a video, MTV will tell the vidiots of the nation to like Metallica. Their music doesn't stand on its own two feet anymore, and that's what makes me mad.

I could rant and rave all day on the state of the Music Industry on a whole, but I'll simply close with this idea:

DVD sales last year come clos
  7. Darth-Bubba Jedi Master

star 4
    TK421, do you work (have a job) in the day?
    I am afraid I have to wait until lunch to read your whole diatribe.

On behalf of all the anonymous Master Replica Saber breakers, I will represent them anonymously.

1. The plastic was ALLREADY broke.

2. During the show example, (Comic-Con and C II) the representative shows you you can hit the blades rather aggressively without breaking. (the person) barely hit it on my, (oops, his) arm.

3. As another anonymous person told you on 12/31/03, call them, it will get dealt with. 90 day warranty.

4. See # 1, it was already broke.

5. Yea, I like the Vader one more than Anakin. I do own both.

Other topic:

Best Concert shows live:
    Kiss (9) times, Gun N Roses (4-5) times,
    Van Halen (1 old, 1 new) David Lee Roth Solo, Metallica (3) times, Suicidial Tendencies (just once) Bruce Springsteen, Bon Jovi (no comments, it was a great show)
    Aerosmith (5 times). Also, honorbale mention: Chili Peppers, Garbage, No Doubt.

When I was very very young: Thompson Twins, Modonna, Modern English, Bow Wow Wow, Ramones, Lionel Richy, Stray Cats, ... Yes, I had two older sisters who drove. Oh yea, the Monkeys (3) and Beach Boys (9) times. Free after the Padre games)

If I die tomorrow, the only bands I missed, that I want to see are Def Leopard and AC/DC. (and Led Zepplin, but I did see Jimmy Page live once)

Oops, Simon and Garfunkel twice.
  8. Tikei-Fore-Tu-Wan Jedi Master

star 4
    Yes I have a job, but I take time out of my writings to write stuff that helps me relax. I enjoy the debate aspects of the 3SA, I could care less about the spoilers, as most of them make my stomach churn with acid. Diatribes about "real life" I tend to post here, as it is more apropos to do so.
  9. Darth-Bubba Jedi Master

star 4
    Eggggg-Cellent Smithers. As I mentioned, you are an great writer.

Maybe one day, we go to my Gun Club and can compare favorites. Plus, free doughnuts.
  10. LordJedi Jedi Master

star 4
    2. During the show example, (Comic-Con and C II) the representative shows you you can hit the blades rather aggressively without breaking. (the person) barely hit it on my, (oops, his) arm.

You can? Are they as durable as Parks Sabers? I was under the impression that they're only so-so. Meaning you could have a mock duel with them, but you can't really go all out smacking each others blades, like a Parks Saber. As an example, I once saw (and have done several times myself) a Parks rep haul off and smack a concrete post at Comic-Con with no ill effects to the blade. They did it after a potential customer lightly tapped it against the table as a demonstration of how hard you could really hit them.
  11. Darth-Bubba Jedi Master

star 4
    At CC 2003 in San Diego, he basically said you could hit it hard, but did not encourage it. Obviously Park Sabers are more durable.

But, Master Replica are more fun. So I would say OK to duel lightly, and make impact, but not as hard as you can. The plastic is pretty durable, but I fear the sound sensors more than plastic breaking.

I think Jedi Racer's cracking was a fluke, and manufacture defect, not user error.
    (although JR does ride the short bus)
  12. LordJedi Jedi Master

star 4
    But, Master Replica are more fun.

I guess after having dueled with a Parks Saber, several times, I'd have to disagree. It may not be a replica of a lightsaber from one of the movies, but it still looks great on a display stand and can take quite a beating. I can also remove the blade in order to hang it from my belt for use with my Jedi costume.

Something I just noticed on their website. This is quite telling:

"Q: Can I use my Force FX lightsaber for dueling?

A: This product should not be used to strike others. Although the blade is very durable, it should never be used for fighting or dueling. The Force FX lightsaber was produced by Master Replicas as a collectible; it was not intended for dueling."

I don't think I've ever seen that before. That is quite interesting especially since other sabers are designed to be fun to use as well as to display.
  13. ValedaKor Force Ghost

star 5
  14. Tikei-Fore-Tu-Wan Jedi Master

star 4
    Speaking of which, does anybody who's going to "the meet" want a size L AotC crew shirt? It's never going to fit me again, even after I drop the lb's I want to drop... It never fit me right in the shoulders.
  15. JediRacer Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    TK,like the Rock says.."Just Bring It!" we can use it as a prize of some sort.

EDIT: Actually, I would like it, and even though I'm a bit short :p I wear large t-shirts sometimes. But in all fairness, we can use it as a prize for bowling or.. something.

EDIT2: I have a complaint: That stupid Milkshake song has been in my head!! I can't get it out!! It's driving me nuts! It's a stoopid song. If you've never heard it, thank the Maker and be glad you live your life never hearing such garbage.

Other songs I can go the rest of my life without hearing:
    Safety Dance
    Rock Me Amadeus
    Anything by Wang Chung
    Anything by the Miami Sound Machine
    ..the list can go on.
  16. Tikei-Fore-Tu-Wan Jedi Master

star 4
    Men Without Hats pwns, to use the "l337" dialectic.

Rock me Amadeus was one of THE club themes of the 80's, c'mon show some love to the most culturally vapid decade this world has ever known.

Apparently Sharif don't like Wang Chung... how sad.

Myjammy soung Macheen? c'mon mang, wass wrong witchu?

A. Gloria Estefan is hotter than a T.V. in a pawn shop.

B. She sings like a friggin' angel

C. Did I mention she's hotter than a T.V. in a pawn shop?

You know you wanna "Do that Conga", JR!
  17. Jundland_Jay Jedi Master

star 4
    JR,
    C'MON AND ROCK ME AMADEUS!!!!!
  18. DarthHaskett Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Why was the meeting thread locked?
  19. JediRacer Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I know! Now it looks like the meeting is cancelled BUT IT'S NOT!!!

I don't know what this is all about, but it must be all Darth Haskett's fault.

EDIT 1: Ok, I apologize for not heeding your wishes Mr. CR regarding the meeting thread. You know how we are, just like a bunch of little kids doing the opposite of what you tell us to do. Just like above. I said I would be happy never to hear certain songs, and what do my fellow beloved LAFF members do? Remind me of "Do that Conga" ACK!! That's the song that makes me gag. UGH!! Like you said and we've all said; sarcasm, teasing, joking, disrespect, are all ways we show affection towards each other. [kid's voice]But it was Jundland_Jay who started it[/kid's voice]

EDIT 2: Ok, it's "Rhythm is Gonna Get You" by MSM that makes me cringe.. although "Do that Conga" is pretty nauseating as well.

EDIT 3: Don't get me wrong, I like the 80's and I like 80's music. In fact, I always have an 80's mixed cd in my car, and I like all types of 80's music, Go-Go's, Berlin, U2, Spandau Ballet, Echo & the Bunnymen, Journey, Metallica, The Police, Beastie Boys, Expose, Eric B & Rakim, Public Enemy, Earth Wind & Fire, and dare I say it.. Duran Duran and Debbie Gibson. In fact there's a lot more 80's music that I like than today's stuff. But the bad stuff I cant' stand..
  20. Tikei-Fore-Tu-Wan Jedi Master

star 4
    check my latest post in the strange coincidence thread.
  21. DarthHaskett Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    It is all my fault so I will accept the blame.
  22. Darth-Bubba Jedi Master

star 4
    Dear Bourgeois,

First off, the purpose of the thread was for people who don't have a lot of time can click on thread, see the address and time of the two meeting places. Simple and sweet.
    But, our sarcastic folk have to draw the whole thing out.

Not everyone is as smart as all of you, and sometimes, (believe it or not) have limited time. Hence, why I pleaded on message one: Do not add anything here unless it is imperative. Someone has to try to keep this place organized.

2. Of course everything is still on as planned.

3. TK421, on 1070 AM this morning, they said Goldie Hawn is now a grandma. Her daughter, Kate Hudson married Chris Robinson from the Black Crowes. They just had a child. I thought about you when I heard the new blurb.

4. Have I called anyone a dillweed lately?
    :mad: :mad: :mad:

Thank you all for your cooperation and assistance. Buttons of mine may be pushed when I throw gutter balls on Saturday.

Edit: I put fancy words in to sound sophisticated.

Edit 2: Jay, I hope have some cool gifts for the Quiz.
  23. Tikei-Fore-Tu-Wan Jedi Master

star 4
    TwiIiIce as hard.... as it was the FIRST TIME I said goodbye-eye... I do love me some Black Crowes. Isn't that feller a bit old for Kate? good ol' KNX... realized I was geting old when I switched over to the AM dial for my radio fix. I'm hooked on 1540 "The Ticket" right now, but that will change soon, as football season is almost over. I'll go back to listening to the same 8 to 10 songs each hour on KROQ. I miss SO VERY MUCH good ol' KNAC (and before that, 100.3 when it was "Pirate Radio" Scott Shannon was a good morning DJ... he knew when to stop talking about himself and play a feckin' tune.)
  24. Darth-Bubba Jedi Master

star 4
    dude, KNAC ROCKED ROCKED ROCKED!
    I agree 100% with you. It almost rocked as much as Crazy Bird Man! Yea, Pirate Radio was fun too. When KNAC became Spanish talk radio, I was in mourning for a long time. I was so pissed!

If you are ever in San Diego, listen to 105.3

KLOS plays the same 70's and 80's tunes, which I like, but over and over and over.
    If I had my choice, I would listen to 101.1 The real oldies station. But my office does not get proper reception.

Did I mentioned KNAC rocked!! When I see a bumper sticker advertising it, it puts a tear in my eye. Almost as cool as the license plate:

That's no moon, it's a space station

Whatever happened to Beavis at Butthead? When MTV actually played music videos.
  25. Darth-Bubba Jedi Master

star 4
    I heard a rumor on the streets, when this thread hits 500, Jedi Racer is buying all who posted on it Taco Bell! We can walk from his home.

Or, was it Papa Johns? I seem to forget.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.