main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LA, CA Questions, Complaints, and Anything Else thread

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by JediRacer, Sep 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoloJedi

SoloJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2001
    Greetings all -
    sorry i haven't posted in awhile...been kinda sick and well...lazy. I like to read all you guys' stuff....funny!!! :D
    This new guy TK...sure likes to write ALOT don't he? He is a good writer though...

Hope all are doing GREAT!!!

Bubba, that 500th post thing sounds mighty tempting.

Hey, only 2 more months and grand slam will be here again...i checked on their site and though it's still too early to confirm ALL who will be there, i don't think the SW presense will be as high as last year.....

Should we still make a presense in costume or what???

p.s. I love to do the CONGA!!!! and Duran Duran is/was my all-time favorite band. Go 80s!!!!

2. Tikei-Fore-Tu-Wan

Tikei-Fore-Tu-Wan Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2003
    My best friend lives in South County OC, so I am very familiar with 105.3... Have you ever listened to KNAC.com? He turned me on to it, but I think it fairly blows. People all over the country seem to forget that 105.5 KNAC Los Angeles "invented" the now formulaic "Mandatory Metallica" (and most stations even play it right at the beginning of the 2100 hour... but oh well, I refuse to give them my ear until they get their heads out of their colo-rectal aperatures.

LA used to be THE radio town (well, after Detroit was in the 60's and early 70's) wtf happened? I moved back here nad the closest thing to a decent radio station is KROQ? The same station that used to play nothing but "i want to kill myself" British bands like D'Mode, Morrissey (Smiths), Cure, etc... Adam Kyrolla (or however the hell you spell it) is hosting Poorman's Nighttime sex Q&A LoveLine? Poorman is now a pathetic sidekick to Dick Rees, the self-proclaimed Dick Clark of Radio? I come back here on a vacation one year, set the alarm to 105.5... I go to sleep listening to Fade to Black (my fave-o-right Metallica song) and wake up to Mariachi music? WTF is going on? I'm still getting over Pirate becoming a friggin' easy listening station, and now THISSSS! At least you had some foreknowledge of the events. So I turn to KROQ, and those jackasses Kevin and Bean have this really cool new band doing a live acoustic version of one of their songs (Stellar by Incubus) And I say, "holy soul-sucking demons, batman! These guys own!" So, I switched to KROQ, not so much out of choice, but because they're the only game in town that plays ANY music I really enjoy, as Rap and Hip-Hop have sucked since roughly 1993, with very few exceptions.

If there was a blues and bluegrass station, I'd listen to it... since most people like one or the other, though, I'll not hold my breath. Until the "big four" monopoly on Radio is broken, I'm afraid we're doomed to hear the same 8 to ten songs per hour EVERY hour, until the labels send new product to their self-effacing marketing machines to peddle, where the cycle simply rinses and repeatses until even the most zombified slave to the marketing machines (the pre-teen and teen age groups) say: d00d, this blows, let's go jank some music off the internet instead of listening to this crap...

Which is unfortunate, because we're on the verge of another reannaisance in music: there's a level of talent out there that hasn't been seen in years. Nobody knows it because even the best stuff becomes old and tired with enough airplay. I'm alse very excited about the apparent resurgence of L.A. Speed Metal, and Ska seems to be waiting in the wings to make a comeback later this decade when grunge returns (the next logical "throwback", seeing as we're entering into the "retro hair band" phase now. I look forward to breaking out the ol' docs, baggies and flannels... I just hope the kids actually WASH themselves this time around.

3. JediRacer

JediRacer Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 5, 2000
    Hmm.. I went through all 18 pages of this highly successful thread and nope, I can't find any promise of Taco Bell or Papa John's [official Pizza of the LAFF]. But if you come over to my house, I can offer you a frozen burrito, a green banana, or some leftover pancakes from New Years. Then again, a $0.39 Taco may be cheaper..at least you're not asking for porterhouse steaks (mmm.. it's been so long since I've eaten beef..dang mad cows) I can't cook anything now, my stove/oven broke (it couldn't handle the pancakes and eggs). I'll be getting a new one soon.

4. Darth-Bubba

Darth-Bubba Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2002
    no, no, no... It was after your third Jawa Juice at Ques... yea...sure, that was it,...the night you don't remember too well. I never said you wrote it.

As I wave my hand for Jedi Mind trick...
    You will buy us all Taco Bell now. You will think your promised it to us. These aren't the droids you are looking for.

5. Tikei-Fore-Tu-Wan

Sep 9, 2003
    If you're going to whip out the Mind Trick, go for Ruth's Chris or the Palm... summin' like that... or Locanda Veneta... mmmmm yummy!

6. Jundland_Jay

Jundland_Jay Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 18, 2003
    Yo Quiero Taco Bell.

7. Darth-Bubba

Nov 11, 2002
    If I am going to take advantage, there is only one place: Lawry's. No substitute. My far and beyond, favorite restaurant in LA area.

8. JediRacer

Apr 5, 2000
    [Watto's voice]Mind tricks don't work on me, only roller skating women.[/Watto's voice]

I know you guys like Taco Bell, but for me.. eating Taco Bell is the same as eating corn. If you know what I mean.

9. Darkliner

Darkliner Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 4, 2003
  10. Tikei-Fore-Tu-Wan

Sep 9, 2003
    I remember taking field trips there back in the day, in elementary school. I've been to the one here in BH, and it's not what I remember... The real thing can't hold a candle to the memories.

11. Darkliner

Darkliner Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 4, 2003
    460 460 ok nothing big but hey

12. SoloJedi

Sep 10, 2001
    Doesn't it seem that we're just rambling on now and really not "saying" anything? just trying to get to the coveted 500th post!

Oh and JR, as for your complaints on certain songs, remember: "Don't worry, be happy"! :D

13. JediRacer

Apr 5, 2000
    SoloJedi!! Long time no see! How's everything?

Well, this whole thing is a discussion about nothing. Just rambling on an on about absolutely nothing. It's good way to get things off your mind though, and post your opinion. It was primarily made for this reason since all our threads go off subject after the 5th post. I don't know if it's a race to the 500th post, but it's a good way to pad your post count in your profile. Not that any of that really matters.

"Don't Worry, Be Happy" is also bad. I could also live without ever hearing "Who Let the Dogs Out" again.

EDIT: Solo - sorry, I missed your post from this morning. I totally forgot about Grand Slam!!!! I just booked a trip to Hawaii for that weekend..I have to go to a wedding. UGH!! I know this sounds crazy, but I'd rather go to Grand Slam. I suppose I can try to come back early, but the wedding is Friday Night, so I wouldn't get home until Saturday afternoon or Saturday evening. I can't risk having you trying to make moves on my lady (German Padme) Just kidding, who knows if she'll be there.. but there might be others! I had such a great time at Grand Slam last year.. DARN.

14. Darth-Bubba

Nov 11, 2002
    If you skip a wedding in Hawaii to go to a sci-fi convention, you are more of a geek, dweeb, nerd than I ever thought. What are you thinking?

You are going to pass on sand, beach, women, good food, and paradise for Sci-Fi? The con. is boring anyway.

BUT, remember what I told you about the kick off dinner. Some special privledges may be granted. If the dinner happens, it is better than the con.

15. Tikei-Fore-Tu-Wan

Sep 9, 2003
    I've never been to Hawaii. With that in mind, I'd definitely take that trip over the con, plus it's a wedding! You can ply the bridesmaids with Blue Milk and do a little "podracing" of your own.

16. DarthHaskett

DarthHaskett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2003
    Man! There is a lot of chattering about nothing. I have to keep my eyes open for the coveted spot. I've missed all of the other significant posts because they happen while I am going home. MAN!

Oh well, yes, KROQ is the only station I really listen to, except while the padawan is in the car then we listen to classical music (KUSC). I've been listening to KROQ for years. I used to laugh at the people who called in for LoveLine. I told Poorman Rick Dees Sucks while waiting in line for AOTC. He told me K&B got him fired. I think it was illegal substances. My padawan goes to cotillion with Dr. Drew's kids. I once wrote a complaint letter to Richard Blade when he played a lame Pet Shop Boys cover of U2's Where the Streets have no name - boy did that one really, really stink. He mentioned complainers on the radio a couple of days later but never played the song again. I also called the radio station to complain about that song. And yet, though I have only heard it twice, the stupid song is burned into my memory!

As for Grand Slam, it would be fun to go to. I haven't been to one in about 8 years. I hope to go on Satuday unless something comes up. Anyone know where I can buy white boots for my Leia costume? I've checked the stores, the web, just about everywhere. One suggested I try Melrose where they sell "lady of the evening" stuff. I would be embarrassed to enter such institutions alone, well, really at all...

I think one thing you have to understand about JR, Hawaii is like his second home. He goes at least once a year and stays for at least a week at a time. I do agree with D-B though, anyone who would rather go to a sci-fi convention rather than go to Hawaii is crazy. I'll go to Hawaii for you, JR...

17. SoloJedi

Sep 10, 2001
    Aloha JR. Yeah i'd have to agree with the Bubster on this one..i wouldn't pass on hawai'i for a con especially since i wanna go to hawai'i for a little vacation. HEY tell ya what, i'll go to hawai'i for ya and you can go to con and maybe see if german padme goes...i don't mind if you talk to her cause i know aint nothin else gonna happen! ;) :D

But it's up to you what you wana do. As for cons, i won't be able to go to San diego this year so grand slam will have to do. Oh well such is life!

18. Darth-Bubba

Nov 11, 2002
    SoloJedi: Come to sushi and/or bowling. You have been MIA for six months. I will treat you to a game of Pinball if you come. Pasadena to Studio City is easy!! :D

What, huh... Racer, why is Darth-Haskett going to shops for hookers? I thought she was a civil engineer? Why didn't you tell me. NOOOOOOOOOO.

Grand Slam is an average con, but the great thing was like 15 SW folks there. Last year was Prowse, Bullock, Mayhew, Fisher, Baker, The Greedo Chick, Silas Carson, Amy Allen, and best of all, the dude who played Renegade. Meeting the Celebs is what made it a good con. Of course, let us not forget our friends with the speaking lines in T3. Solo, she sure sold us book of goods for my $10.00.

19. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    I was a Civil engineer, mostly I'm an unCivil Engineer. I was told the only place you could find white boots (to complete my Leia ANH costume) is in one of those shops that would sell to certain people. Either that or go-go boots, which don't look comfortable. I am only willing to suffer a little for my art.

20. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    Okay, I have a question for those of you who are computer literate. I have a linksys wireless router for my laptop. I was told by a computer guy at CompUSA that if I bought a Belkin Wireless Access Point that the two would be compatible and I would be able to extend my range (I have lathe and plaster walls which I was told hinders the signal). Well, I tried it and the two devices are incompatible, so I have been told. Does anyone out there have any experience in this matter? I would appreciate any help you can offer since I don't think I can return the Belkin any more.

21. Tikei-Fore-Tu-Wan

Sep 9, 2003
    The only Belkin computer product I would EVER own is one of their Power Strips (I own three) Lathing EATS wireless signals, like the dog-critter on Tatooine eats the chicken-lizards. Your best bet would be to create a line-of-sight pathway from computers to the router, which would get pricey fast.

22. JediRacer

Apr 5, 2000
    DH is right. Don't get me wrong, I love Hawaii, but I go there all the time. My sister lives there, and I have a bunch of other relatives there. So it's kind of a cheap vacation for me... all I need to pay is airfare. Unfortunately, my sister lives in a small one bedroom condo, so there's barely enough room for me when I go. I usually end up spending all my time eating and shopping while I'm there. I've seen all the sights many times.. although I still like to visit Pearl Harbor each time I go.

Anyway, I just got back from the LA Auto Show (for the 2nd time) and some smart a$$ fool thought it would be funny to put a sticker on the bumper of my new car. It was just a sticker for a printing shop or something. But the bumper is painted, so I was afraid it would leave a mark when I removed it. It peeled off ok, with no damage. But still it was enough to get me pretty worked up. There were two old cheap a$$ SUV's filled with a bunch of surly looking teens parked across from me who were watching me as I pulled of the sticker... they rolled forward and were saying something I couldn't understand. I don't know if it was them. Why is it that people nowadays do not respect other people and their property. It's like it's "cool" to be an a$$.

23. LordJedi

LordJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 15, 2001
    DH, the two different wireless products should in fact be compatible. You'll have to set them up to act like bridges is all. Also, you'll want to set them up so the wireless signal can go around the wall, if that's at all possible. It would be similar to the line of sight thing previously mentioned, but should be able to do it with your existing equipment. What Linksys and Belkin Wireless products are they (model numbers)? Where are you placing them? If you can draw up a rudimentary diagram in a photo program, perhaps we can give you better suggestions for placement.

24. Tikei-Fore-Tu-Wan

Sep 9, 2003
    You're saying it wasn't cool for you to be a total @$$ when you were a young punk not so long ago??? Be happy it wasn't me and mine... We'd have done "Muy bombad thingsa" to a car if the mood so struck "back in my day"

25. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    I should have checked this last night. I don't know the models so I will look at them tonight. I can fax a sketch if you PM a fax number to me, LordJedi. I would appreciate any help. The Tech support guy spent between 30 to 45 minutes on the phone with me trying to help me set it up.

TK, you have to understand that JR LOVES his cars. I have never seen anyone spend as much time as he does caring for one. He takes a long time to figure out what he wants and when he wants it. People who violate his vehicles are essentially violating him 10x. You don't want to see him angry either, the Hulk can't hold a candle to JR.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.