main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LA, CA Questions, Complaints, and Anything Else thread

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by JediRacer, Sep 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthHaskett

DarthHaskett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2003
    Sundays are inconvenient for a lot of people but there don't seem to be many other days that are available to more people. Sorry, ArtMaul.

2. JediBith

JediBith Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2001
    Don't you just love a general compaints thread?

Here's a fresh complaint:

Perfume, aftershave, cologne, strong-smelling deodorants...people, must you MARINATE yourselves in them? Not any of our fan-forcers are guilty of this, mind you...I'm speaking about the folks I meet out amongst the teeming masses. Today I found myself trapped in the wake of a guy leaving a VAPOR TRAIL of cologne behind him. I dodged, I swerved, I held my breath...but lo my eyes did water somethin' fierce. It's even worse if you're trapped in a restaurant or movie theatre near one of these olfactory-challenged people. GAG!!!!

Still nursing her offended senses and sensibilities (to wax Austenian),
    JediBith

3. TIE1138

TIE1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 3, 2002
    ...must you MARINATE yourselves in them?

[face_laugh]LMAO [face_laugh]

4. JediRacer

JediRacer Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 5, 2000
    I feel your pain Bith... although I'm jealous because where I work, near the armpit of Downtown LA, people marinate themselves in their own...filth. I would be more descriptive, but you really don't need to know what the smell is.

I can't believe I haven't posted a complaint about the people I hate the most... Car Dealers and especially CAR SALESMEN!!! (No offense to any Fan Forcer who is a car salesperson) I'm in the market for a new car (bad habit of mine).. and I just hate dealing with those dirty, lying, thieves. I know there are ways to purchase a car without going through them, but I'm not having much luck going that route.

5. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    JediRacer,

You really are not happy unless you have a car payment. I am waiting for a good hybrid car. I hate HATE paying so darned much for gas (I know Darth-Bubba already mentioned this). I want a fuel efficient car that looks good, doesn't cost an arm and a leg, and givs my padawan sufficient protection from other cars.

6. NotQuiteSane

NotQuiteSane Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 26, 2000
    I voice my agreement with ArtMaul's complaint. Sunday meetings are just never going to work for myself and others.

Not that I expect a change just for the knife-wielding newb in the group. :p

Not a complaint but a friendly gloat: my polling place was across the street. Hehehe

7. TIE1138

TIE1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 3, 2002
    For those who can't make sunday meetings:

though sundays are the days that most people are able to make the meetings, we also have unnofficial happy hour that we try to put together at least once a month. Since we try to make it for right when most folks get out of work, this is usually during the week. Check the boards for more info coming soon.

8. Darth-Bubba

Darth-Bubba Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2002
    Yes. Car salesmans suck. They are unscrupulous pieces of bantha poodo. (sorry if anyone here works in the field) But worse than them, are the finance managers at Car dealers. They are the scum, under the toe nails, of the parasites, who suck the blood from satan.

They lie, lie, lie and then when you think they are finally being honest, they lie some more.

I am a finance major. 6-8 courses I took were computing net present value, payments, and future value of transactions. Well, Mr. Finance Manager tried to pad our payments 25.00 for no reason. (Culver City Honda, Miller) I took out my calculator, and made him walk through the exact steps with me. I said "why the 25.00 difference" He gave me some B.S. He basically got caught in the lie.

We walked out, went to another dealer.

Please please, not to be sexist, but if any of you buy a car, go with a male, preferably someone in sales. They intinimdate, lie, and manipulate. Both dealers treated Carolyn (Mrs. D-B) terribly. They are truly scum and villany.

post script: I ended up buying the same Honda in Marina Del Rey, same payment. I faxed the sales receipt to Culver City Honda basically saying, thanks for the dishonesty.

post script 2: (since I am into Libel/ Slander) The sale person at Miller Honda, Culver City, was trying to be clever, and made an condesending religous comment to myself. Something to the nature of "My old Business partner was Jewish, so I figured..." Poor guy, it ended up being his last day on the job, not by his choice.

9. Darth-Bubba

Nov 11, 2002
    on a Happier note:

I had Papa Johns BBQ chicken pizza last night. Art Maul is right... they Rock!

(Chicken, Onions and bacon.) I replaced bacon with Olives.

10. SoloJedi

SoloJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2001
    this post would fall in the "anything else" category:
    Last night i finally saw "Invasion of the body snatchers" 1978 version.
    It was pretty good....but they easily could have called it "Attack of the clones" ;) :D
    Hey bubba, sorry to hear you had a bad experience with your car purchase but Congrats on getting one!
    Some of us will probably never be able to buy a new car :( so we must support our "richer" members who are so priveledged...

11. Darth-Bubba

Nov 11, 2002
    Solo Jedi,

Appearances can be deceiving. "Don't trust your eyes. They can fool you"

1. The car was three years ago. I would say a Honda is very modest.

2. Despite how I keep my car looking clean and polished, it is a 1995. For you math majors, that means eight years old.

12. SoloJedi

Sep 10, 2001
    well i'm in the car business myself...for now anyway...and i concur, the age of the car has nothing to do with how it looks or runs. If it is well taken care of, there's no reason it shouldn't last a long time.
    And yes, hondas are very reliable..most of my friends have one.
    My car is a 91 BMW with 139,000 miles on it and still runs good. It was in good condition when i bought it except for the paint..it's kinda faded and some idiot hit me on my front fender....and last week at the market someone backed into it cracking my tail light lens...needless to say i was very..."upset", cause i didn't notice it till i got back to work...some butt-munch pulled a hit and run on me.... :mad:
    But, oh well, things happen or as they say in the SW universe: "SITH happens" [face_mischief]

13. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    I am not looking forward to buying my next car because I dislike dealing with the sales people. I wish there was an easier way. I still have almost 2 years before I buy my next car.

14. JediRacer

Apr 5, 2000
    Solo, you're in the car business? What do you do if you don't mind me asking? Anyway, I hope I'm not offending you.

Darth Haskett, car payments DO NOT make me happy... My passion for cars is right behind my passion for Star Wars. To me, life is too short to be driving the same car for 10 years.. and I don't see the point of spending $1000 to fix a car that's only worth $2000. My car, to me, is more than just mere transportation. It is a source of enjoyment, a source of pride, and a part of my identity. I always modify my car in some way to personalize it and make it distinguishable from all the other ones like it. For those that don't know, I drive a '99 VW New Beetle.. why? Because I have a '67 VW "old" Beetle also. Both are dark blue, and look cool sitting in my garage together. I've had the New Beetle for 5 years (bought it in '98), and I feel it's time for a change, although I still like the car. Anyway, I hope you understand where I'm coming from.

15. jedibendubruce

jedibendubruce Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 27, 2002
    I know what you mean JR. My 1st car was a '87 Buick Grand National. Being an avid racer I dropped in a new block & tubbed & tricked it out. I could not be beat at the strip I kid you not. My other pride & joy was a 68 Hemi Cuda. I brought that car back to life from the ground up. SW, film, martial arts & cars-life couldn't get any better. :D

16. JediRacer

Apr 5, 2000
    Most impressive Bendubruce!!! The Grand National has to be the greatest sleeper of all time! A Hemi 'Cuda is definitely a cool car. I'm jealous! I've always wanted a muscle car. I go to car shows and I just drool over those. ..I have a story of why I drive a VW Bug. Back when my Dad was single, he too bought cars all the time. When he got married to my mom he had a '67 Pontiac GTO, my mom had a '67 Bug. I was born, and they had to get a more practical car.. so they got rid of the GTO and bought a Ford Station Wagon (with a huge V-8..anyway). We always kept the VW, although no one drove it for a long time. When I was able to drive at 15.5 years old, I wanted a car, but no way could I afford anything, so my parents let me have the VW. I got it running, and did a half-a$$ restoration job to make it look decent. It's a decent car, and I get a lot of good comments from people about it (and a lot of sale offers too, although it's not for sale). But I keep thinking... damn, I wish my dad kept the GTO!! I would be styling! That would've been so cool! Of course, my dad justifies it saying the GTO was hard to drive, and required a lot of maintenance and TLC. Whereas my VW, I could let it sit for a couple of weeks, and it'll start right up. But I wish I had the GTO.. then I could show up to cruise nights and car shows and fit right in.

17. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    Cars, cars, cars...I love cool cars also, but I just can't afford to keep up, much like my inability to keep up with JediRacer with respect to Star Wars toys.

18. JediRacer

Apr 5, 2000
    Anyone see Kill Bill over the weekend? Awesome movie! It's not for everyone.. but I liked it a more than Matrix II or anything else I've seen this year.

19. JediRacer

Apr 5, 2000
    Where is everyone today? ..On STRIKE??

20. Darth-Bubba

Nov 11, 2002
    Once again Racer, I pose a question I asked you and Solo about 40 post ago: Don't you guys have jobs?

Some of us can't spend 24-7 on the board without our employeers getting mad. But, I on the other hand, multi-task and can post insults and reprimands, and still try to do my job.

The people at Pavilians asked me not to cross their picket line. So, I obliged. Kind of a pain in the $%#. I had to go to Trader Joes to buy my Half and Half. But, they have very good Freedom Brie at TJ's.

My friend at work crossed the line, nobody said anything to him. The Ralphs in mid-city was on the news last night. They are getting a little violent.

Countdown for Kiss Aerosmith: 32 hours.

If anyone wants to see TONS of funny Jpegs about the Cub fan who cost them game six, PM me. I have some hystercial ones. This guys life is equal to that of the Kobe accuser.
    He is screwed. (no pun intended)

Racer, don't forget your football next week.

21. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    I refuse to cross the picket line. I have a strictly observed no scabs policy. I have heard conflicting accounts of what the problem is though. Some have said that this is on purpose because the labor unions did not get to keep Gray in office. Some say part time workers don't deserve full time health coverage. Some say that they should go to school and get better jobs (then who would do theirs?). Regardless, I hope it gets settled soon. It is inconvenient and I've got to believe that it's not a good thing for the workers.

22. SoloJedi

Sep 10, 2001
    hello boyos-
    Sorry been away awhile, the boss/dad is on vacation and i'm running things solo around here.
    Anyway, yeah what a game last night! I'm not a big baseball fan and could care less who goes or wins so long as it aint the those darn yankees! can't stand them......... they have good players and all but don't like their cockyness...heck if any other club had the money that NY does they could "buy" a championship team too. I dunno maybe it's the whole east coast west coast thing :D,

As for the strikes, look im all for them striking but, it's not gonna stop me from doing what i gotta do. I got my problems just like everyone else, high cost of living d what not...but if i have to go to the store to buiy food or necessities then i'm going in. You wanna strike and picket...fine, you have that right BUT ihave the right to go in and shop. There are some people who do want to and do work.

my two cents worth..
    GO TROJANS!!!!!!!!!!!!
    p.s. Hey racer i saw you last night cruising the streets of pasadena....you were passing PCC around 8:30......

23. LordJedi

LordJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 15, 2001
    Some say that they should go to school and get better jobs (then who would do theirs?)

High schoolers with little to no experience. There will always be someone willing to do those jobs. I personally don't think part-timers deserve full health-care coverage either. From what I've heard though, it's that the full-timers are being asked to pay for a portion of their health coverage. I think it's like $5 a week or something like that. They're referring to it as essentially a pay cut. I wish I could get some real information on what's really going on. The paper on monday was next to useless. 2 page article that said nothing about why they're striking, just had stories from people that are either shopping there or going elsewhere.

24. JediRacer

Apr 5, 2000
    Bubba - YES again, I do have a job, but I like to check the boards on occasion... sort of a mini-break.. it only takes me a few seconds to check. YEAH, I know I'm not supposed to do such things.. oh well. Thanks for the jpegs! They're hilarious.. they are now distributed all over the City of LA.

Solo,
    I was coming back from the gym at that time! You shoulda honked at me or something. Unless you were not driving your car. But if you honk at me, you'll probably see a certain finger flipped at you... so just try to get my attention some other way :)

MTA's on Strike (it's so quiet here Downtown!.. and dare I say it.. cleaner). Supermarket employees on strike (I usually shop at TJ's anyway). And the Sheriff's all called in sick! Arnold is the Governor.. the Cubs are still in the playoffs.. and China now has a man in space.. The Apocolypse is near, my friends (it'll have to wait until Episode III comes out though) :)

25. Darth-Bubba

Nov 11, 2002
    Trader Joes has good taquitos and chicken burritos, excellent selection of Brie, and of course, Single Malt Scotch.

From what I hear, they are asking the grocery folk to pay for much more of their benefits, I was told $750.00 per year. But, I am not too educated on the topic.

BUT, it was originally a Vons thing. Ralphs and Albertson just supported them. Now, those people they pay to strike, who don't even work there, she be feed alive to the Reek, and tied to a post. That is absurd.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.