main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LA, CA Questions, Complaints and Everything Else Part 15 - My Gosh that's a lot!

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by DarthHaskett, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediNoc

JediNoc Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 9, 2005
    YAY for Pasadena! Not that I'm biased or anything.

2. Varekei

Varekei Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 5, 2005
    I used to commute to Woodland Hills & Pasadena. I also have a lot of friends and relative in that general area. Somehow, Woodland Hills seems a lot farther awy. I don't know what the difference is in actual miles. And no offense to Jay or Zap, but I'd rather live in the Pasadena area than the West Hills area.

3. Skyryder

Skyryder Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 13, 2004
    I'm sure it's nice where everyone lives, or you wouldn't be there. Because if you didn't like it I'm sure you would move.

4. Varekei

Varekei Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 5, 2005
    Where I live is OK, just OK and it's kind of conveniently located to most things (Howl excluded). The reality of living in LA today is that if you are in a rent controlled apartment you tend to hang on to it to avoid a $200-$500 rent increase (not to moving costs, including first/last/security etc.)

5. Jundland_Jay

Jundland_Jay Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 18, 2003
    "It doesn't matter where you go - there you are."
    -Buckaroo Bonzai

6. Darth-Bubba

Darth-Bubba Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2002
    The problem with being a former CR of three years, and making EVERY event in cool 818/626 area, and making all happy hours there, is people forget, that cool people sometimes move from 818 to South Bay.

Now, I have created a monster, that can not be killed.

If I every get un-busy,(two years from now) I will schedule some fun things so Sony, El Segundo, and Inglewood employeed people can drink. Lots.

7. Elensara

Elensara Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    Yeah, let's see how many events were actually NEAR ME: Century City Mall once, 3rd St. Promenade TWICE OMG (fish taco place once, Yankee Doodle's the other), the World Cafe/bowling one (I got to set it up, holy crap!), and the one VK had less than a mile from my house WHEN I WAS IN MINNESOTA (silly VK). That's 5 meetings in the 310 area over 4 years. SEE, DB, HOW AWESOME I WAS FOR DRIVING AN HOUR AND A HALF TO ALL THOSE UNOFFICIAL HH MEETINGS? :D

8. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Similarly, all the Pasadena stuff is about.... 45 min away.... Howl a bit less. If there's traffic, all bets are off.

Seems to me that having stuff along the 101/134 area splits the difference, more or less.

9. Jundland_Jay

Feb 18, 2003
    In order to quell all this bickering regarding geographic disparity as it pertains to the proximity of meetings,
    I have decided that the next official meeting will be on the International Space Station, which for all practical purposes, is equidistant to all of us.

Jackets are not required, but spacesuits are.

10. Skyryder

Skyryder Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 13, 2004
    Are you going to pay for gas? I really don't think that is going to be possible.

11. AniPadmeLurker

AniPadmeLurker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2004
    I almost forgot!!!!!!!

Remember, remember, the fifth of Novemer the gunpowder, treason and plot.
    I know of no reason why the gunpowder treason should ever be forgot.

[image=http://thefoologs.com/BLOGIMAGES/v4.gif]

12. jedifan77

jedifan77 Jedi Master star 5

Mar 19, 2006
    Boo-hoo, you people love to whine about driving any distance! There's plenty of cheese in the Lame Duck thread if you need it.

13. Elensara

Elensara Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    I gotta respect you, JF. You're the only active member willing to drive w/out complaining. :D The LAFF used to have a bunch of Long Beach members but they got sick of the drive and got busier lives, though CMB & CB pop up occasionally. (If I was complaining though, it was only to DB, I swear!) I went to SW marathons in Yacaipa (Tie1138 came too) and Poway (I believe CD and one other LAFFer came to that one, but I can't remember who it was) too...actually, I think getting to Yacaipa didn't take as long as getting to the 818 took when trying to leave in time to get there around 6-7pm (leave 310 @ 4:30-5 and get to Bennigann's or Chuy's or wherever @ 6:15-7:30, haha).

14. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Nope, I was just pointing out that there's a north end to LA too.
    I take the drive as a badge of honour for stuff and remember my longest commutes as achievements.

15. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    Thanks for the props ES, but when you live way out where I do, you gotta drive if you want to do much of anything. Comes with the territory. Folks that already live in or around the "big city" don't have to do that.

Since my own group isn't as active as the LAFF, I tend to hang out here.... and they're nice enough not to tell me to go home.

16. JediBith

JediBith Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2001
    Because you're awesome! [:D]

17. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    The best anti-virus software I've ever used is called Mac OS X, now in Leopard form ;)

I used a PC for 15 years, ahh, I remember those days, actually having to worry about viruses. But I got one program for my new computer that solved all of that, and that was OS X :)

Woodland Hills seems really far away to me, but so does any beach community. I haven't been to the beach since I got here except Redondo twice, but I wasn't there during the day to hang out at the beach or something, only near there at night hanging out. That darn place was really far away! I can't tolerate driving distances that far. Burbank is far enough away and it's only 12 miles, but living downtown usually nothing is TOO far. It's just I prefer not to drive that much.

18. Darth-Bubba

Darth-Bubba Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2002
    Pasadena, totally, absolutely rocks. Anyone who had a great condo, centrally located, and sold it, to move (hypothetically) to 562, needs counseling. I loved his place!

19. JediRacer

JediRacer Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 5, 2000
    I miss Pasadena tremendously. It's my dream to move back there. The 562 isn't bad, actually we love our house and our neighborhood. Everything we need is within walking distance! Target, Trader Joes, Petsmart, Vons.. restaurants. We're just so dang far from the freeway.

Anyway, why are we talking about Pasadena again?

20. AniPadmeLurker

AniPadmeLurker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2004
    Yet another reason I like my area. It may not be huge on nightlife or have flashy premieres and screenings, but I have a two-story Target down the block from me. And I went there today and dropped a lot of money. I started Christmas shopping DH! Help me! Christmas stuff was everywhere! It made me so happy.

21. DarthHaskett

DarthHaskett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2003
    We have two Targets in my city. One used to be a Robinsons and the other used to be a Fedco. I was thinking the other day about all of the stores that have changed over the years. The Borders used to be I. Magnin. The Paseo used to be a really ugly mall. Any way, that's neither here nor there. I miss my old neighbor. It was a nice place.

Yeah for SR! I'm glad you got started too. I love Christmas.

22. JediNoc

JediNoc Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 9, 2005
    I used to love Fedco, DH! You could get anything at that store! But yeah, now that's my Target. The ex-Robinson's one with the two floors is more fun though with the giant cart-sized elevators.
    When I first moved to Pasadena I lived above the Lake district and it was very convenient. Then I wanted peace and quiet so I moved east, also along Colorado. I love my crazy neighborhood with the stores left over from the 1950s but now they're tearing them all down and turning this side into Old Town East. :( Enough already.

23. JediRacer

JediRacer Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 5, 2000
    Fedco was my favorite. I was really sad when I learned that they were closing. Where else can you buy toilet cleaner, a TV, a mattress, bananas, Star Wars Legos, develop your film, and buy big pretzels all in one place.

24. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    Fedco was great!! As a kid, I could go with my parents to the toy section and show them what I wanted for Christmas, then take my $10 and buy presents for the rest of the family. We always got popcorn on the way out of the store.

25. Jundland_Jay

Feb 18, 2003
    Costco sells all those things, and tires to boot!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.