Questions, Complaints and Everything Else: The 13th Thread!!! OoOoOoO!

Discussion in 'Los Angeles, CA' started by JediBith, Jun 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediBith Jedi Master

star 4
    Oops, I let the 12th go on for too many pages, so locking and starting fresh! OoOoOoOoO the 13th incarnation of this thread! [face_skull]
  2. Jundland_Jay Jedi Master

star 4
    The first complaint of this thread will be:

Where are the Snowdens of yesteryear?
  3. DarthHaskett Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Gee I posted on the old one. Whoops!
  4. JediBith Jedi Master

star 4
    mais ou sont les "neiges-dens" d'antan? Sorry for the lack of diacritical marks...

Villon being channeled by Joseph Heller. But I always think of "the Glass Menagerie."
  5. Jundland_Jay Jedi Master

star 4
    Liz,
    I think you and I are the most well-read members of classic literture!
    Great! :)
  6. NaboosPrincess Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I had to post because it's a new thread, and the opening of a new thread is a very happy event!
  7. DarthHaskett Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Okay, if my high school french still works, are you saying "but where are the "neiges-dens" d'antan whatever those are.

8. JediBith Jedi Master

star 4
    It's from a famous phrase in a French poem "[Mais] ou sont les neiges d'antan" (where are the snows of yesteryear) which is an important line in Tennessee Williams' "the Glass Menagerie" and is played upon by Heller in "Catch-22" as Snowden is a character critical to the protagonist Yossarian: where are the Snowdens of yesteryear. Anyway...I'm pretty well-read for a non-lit major I guess! 8-} I also know way more than I need to about Critical Theory. Me and my nutty hobbies!
  9. DarthHaskett Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I haven't read Catch-22 but I have read the Glass Menagerie. I guess I should read Catch-22 since it was referenced in Lost. Thanks for the Lit lesson, JB!
  10. Varekei Jedi Master

star 4
    I read both .... a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far way. I wouldn't have remembered the references if my life depended on it.
  11. JediBith Jedi Master

star 4
    If I didn't work for Sony I'd go on Jeopardy! I know a lot of useless stuff...
  12. Lowbacca_1977 Force Ghost

star 6
    Catch-22 is painful to read. Not in a bad way more in a how it treats things way. 8th grade might not have been the best of times to read that.
  13. Elensara Jedi Master

star 4
    Aw, feel better, JR!

SR--yay, picture frames! So your wall can "tell the story", heehee. Also, that's pretty cool that Begala was your gov. teacher! Well, much better him than that creepy James Carville, right?

JB--I so appreciate the "his and hers" car thing. :D Back in the X-Files obsession heyday, I daydreamed of "his & hers" Intrigues (the movie car, remember?), a black one w/spoiler and MULDER license plates, and silver (Movie) one w/SCULLY plates.
  14. JediRacer Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Thank you all for your concern. I don't know why I get sick so often these days. I think I'm just really tired. I'm going to try to go to bed earlier these days.

I can't believe we're on the 13th version of this thread. 13 is my lucky number. It was the number of my townhouse in Pasadena.
  15. JediBith Jedi Master

star 4
    I think tiredness is a BIG factor -- I try, but I never seem to get enough sleep. [face_tired] I caught BeSo's cold, but I'm at work today anyway. We shall see how it goes... I-)

Edit in under the wire: Boss is sending me home. I do sound pretty bad, but I was going to try to hang in there...
  16. Elensara Jedi Master

star 4
    So it's sunny and hot (mid-80s) and WINDY as hell out there!! (it was windy yesterday too and looked like a storm was coming but it never did...) CNN has informed me that a massive cold front is coming and we may get tornados when it gets here. There're two big tornadic systems a bit southeast, in La Crosse (where my grandpa lives) and north of there, in Eau Claire, WI. Guess it's a Weather Day!
  17. Jundland_Jay Jedi Master

star 4
    Well I hope both JB and JR feel better. :)
  18. JediRacer Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Thanks J_J. I feel a lot better, I'm at work today. I still don't have an appetite though.

I hope you feel better JB! You've been sick a lot lately too.

ES - Be careful of your weather! Don't get caught in a tornado or you may end up in another world with munchkins and talking scarecrows.

19. Skyryder Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Bless all your hearts I wish you all felt wonderful. I also don't want ES to blow away.
  20. Sol_Jedi LA Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    I'm complaining because the interview I supposed to have today wasn't a real one. It was to recruit people to sell financial services. I'm soo upset. Luckily I've got another lead for a regular job.

Hope everyone is doing well.^^
  21. Varekei Jedi Master

star 4
    Been there, done that. Walked out after 15 minutes. Luckily it was only a couple of miles from my home, so the interview & dressing for it was the only time wasted, not travel time.
  22. Sol_Jedi LA Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    OMG, after I got home from the "interview" I got 2 calls for an interview and an email for work!!! Now I just need to actually get the job :p

edit: Am I the only one who's upset at Paris getting 3 days in jail and going on house arrest?! Or do I not want to start this?
  23. DarthHaskett Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Sorry there are so many ill people right now.

ES, if you get blown away, try to steer towards LA. I'll stand outside and try to catch you.

I'm still at work but that's because I came in late today and will be doing it until finals are over.

Okay, I'm not the best writer out there. I will admit my faults but gosh darn it if I'm not reviewing the work of one of the world's worst writers! She is a co-worker who was asked to write a technical paper on a pretty stupid subject so that's already a strike against her paper. This report is just pathetic. It isn't telling you anything really important and is organized all wrong if at all. She was asked to write an abstract for it and proceeded to copy the first two paragraphs of the paper and then added two more paragraphs about useless stuff. I tried to tell her it is supposed to be like an executive summary where if you don't read the actual paper you would still get the gist of the paper from the summary. If you want more information and the supporting data then read the report. At least that's what I was always told they were. Any way, I ended up writing a new abstract for her and am in the process of making a slew of comments on her paper. It's really, really bad. I don't know how she was able to graduate from college. Her spelling is atrocious and if not for spellcheck I would be out of my mind. Her penmanship is horrid also. Half the time I cannot read her handwritten notes. She's a nice person and means well but her writing is really, really bad.
  24. JediBith Jedi Master

star 4
    So I was sent home from work sick, and as I was getting out of my car at home I noticed that my tags had expired in April! :confused: That's very strange because I always take care of that stuff right away...but then I got to thinking about it, and I became sure that I had, in fact, never gotten a renewal notice. Just to be sure, I checked my checkbook back to December to see if I'd paid (even if I do that stuff online, I always make an entry in the register). Nope! [face_thinking] Anyway, I'm home to be resting so I did that for a while, but it was just bugging me (plus I don't want to drive around with expired tags) so I got up to see if I could renew online: no, not without the form which has some sort of code on it -- but! there's a phone number to call to get that number!

So I called...and the lady asks for my license plate (which you all know is PADAWAN) and then she says "on the truck?" where I kind of laughed since that's what I call it, but I answered "well actually it's really a small SUV." She says "Toyota?" Um, no... it's a Nissan. She says "your name is XXXX?" NO, the name wasn't mine! [face_hypnotized] She had me read off my VIN...and says that my plate is not assigned to my car, that I've released the plates, and that they were assigned to someone ELSE. WHAT???????!!!!!! I tell her in no uncertain terms that I have never released the plates, in fact I've owned them since 1999, and was the first to do so! Then, the scary part: so what are the plates supposed to be on my car? Silence....I apparently am, and have been, "plateless" for over a year! :eek:

I am now upset. [face_frustrated] I tell her -- how can the plates be released when I can see them on my car RIGHT NOW? She doesn't know. After many subsequent questions on my part, it becomes obvious that she doesn't know much of anything, or at least doesn't care. So I decide to go to the place where it must have happened: my local Auto Club office (land of short lines for most DMV services). Well, not go, since I'm sick, but call/go. You know what I mean...

The Auto Club lady pulled up ALL the records on my plate, and she could see that I'd always owned it...and still do -- but SHE SAW IT TOO: SOMEONE ELSE ALSO HAS MY PLATES!!! They got them just last year! Ultimately, she told me I'd have to come in and show my registration which has all the dates, VIN, and shows my correct plate on it to "prove" I owned the plates still. Never mind that they are still on my car... :rolleyes: But she didn't know what was going to happen, as she'd never come across this problem before.

If I have to give my plates to some upstart plate-swiper I'll be MOST upset! :_|

25. DarthHaskett Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    OMG JB! That's terrible! I guess that explains why you did not get a renewal form. I hope the can straighten it out soon.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.