main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LA, CA Questions, Complaints, Anything Else: Ep. V -The Thread Strikes Back

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by JediBith, Dec 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Great report, Liz! Yeah, Louisiana is an interesting place. Bayous down the street and all that.

Glad you're back and that you had an exciting time!

2. NaboosPrincess

NaboosPrincess Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 14, 2001
    That sounds like a fun trip!

3. Skyryder

Skyryder Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 13, 2004
    Good to hear you had a good time and that you are both safe. What part of East Texas did you drive through? I grew up where Texas Louisianna and the Gulf meet. When people think of Texas they usually think of West Texas and cowboys and desert, but when I describe where I'm from I tell them think more Louisianna.

4. Elensara

Elensara Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    Sounds like a great trip, Liz! You & Bernie should tell me about it when next we meet. :)

5. DarthHaskett

DarthHaskett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2003
    It sounds like it was a great trip. I hope that it was also very successful. Can't wait to see the pics!

6. JediBith

JediBith Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2001
    Scott:

We drove through Beaumont to Houston, then took the 71 up to Austin to visit my sister, whose boyfriend's name is Houston but whom I kept calling Austin. So confusing!

But I digress; we truly missed E. Texas, as going into Houston occured after dark. Enjoyed the Hill Country around Austin though! Went to a cool restaurant out in the middle of nowhere called the Salt Lick which was huge, packed, and served amazing BBQ.

Florida was hotter than expected (we left L.A. when it was still raining) and sticky, but Texas was cold! I had to buy a warmer jacket while there!

Well, I guess I could talk about the trip for hours...Sara's got the right idea: when next we all meet I'll do so! Remind me to tell you all about the variety of responses I got to my Star Wars jacket.

7. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    JB, I'm sorry you went through Beaumont. You didn't miss much going through in the dark. Beaumont is where I would go in high school to go and hang out. It was 40 miles from my home, but it was the only place with a mall and a movie theater.

I love the Salt Lick. Austin is great.

8. JediRacer

JediRacer Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 5, 2000
    Today's train wreck sounds a LOT like the beginning of this season's 24 tv show. This wreck was deliberate.

9. crazybirdman

crazybirdman Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    yeah, keep an eye on the web, and SPOILER
    all the nuclear power plants!

10. JediRacer

Apr 5, 2000
    And (I may have to ban myself for this) stay away from all english speaking foreign terrorists!

11. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    You know, if someone wants to kill him/herself then that person should do it so it doesn't affect others (I heard it was an aborted suicide attempt so if I'm wrong forgive me) but causing such a problem and killing others is inexcusable. I wish I had some vacation time.

12. crazybirdman

crazybirdman Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    Yeah, it makes hulk angry when people have to die because some guy doesn't have the intestinal fortitude to take his own life.
    I'm not promoting suicide, and I understand that a lot of the time it's a plea for attention, but why drag a bunch of innocent people down with you?

13. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    Hear Hear!

14. NaboosPrincess

NaboosPrincess Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 14, 2001
    I saw it on the news. Very sad. :(

15. Darth-Bubba

Darth-Bubba Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2002
    I am sure Luis and Karl would agree with me here...

When you go to a place once a week, (Costco) and you see the ramifications of such a tragedy, it really hits close to home. I was extremely depressed yesterday as I watched the news. Right in my backyard, (for work) It's not like it happened far away...

Very strange feeling when something so awful happens close to you. I did not work in Glendale yesterday, I worked in my LA office. But, seeing the wreckage on TV was just astonishing.

Fortunately, or unfortunately, the final death count is 11. It could have been much more, with over 200 people on the trains.

My Thoughts and prayers to all the families of the victims.

16. Darth-Bubba

Nov 11, 2002
    On a non-related note, as most of you know, 60 years ago today, Auschwitz was liberated.

Many political big-shots are in Poland now. I only hope our future generations remembers the atrocities that happened, and teach those so history is not forgotten. Hard to believe the terrible events that started the Holocaust, and lead into WWII only happened 60 years ago.

Unfortuantely, it seems the world does not learn from its mistakes, and we see in parts of Europe.

17. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    I now feel insensitive because of the message I sent you DB.

I'm sorry. Try and feel better today. Lots of bad things happen in the world, but lots of good things happen too, they just don't make the news.

18. Darth-Bubba

Nov 11, 2002
    its all good, I feel better now. The world is a happy place. Must be positive.

Plus, I had yummy birthday cake from Portos. See you all Sunday.

19. JediRacer

Apr 5, 2000
    Is today your birthday?

20. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    It isn't his birthday yet.

21. Darth-Bubba

Nov 11, 2002
    no, my office manager Pia's birthday. We went to Gaucho Village for lunch to celebrate. We are so going there for the next LAFF event.

Chihasceria. (all you can eat Brazilian Steak House) Plus, great bar. Imagine all the meat, chicken, pork, turkey,... yummy grilled food... Served to you off a long skewer.

My birthday is in May.

22. JediRacer

Apr 5, 2000
    I didn't think it was your birthday DB, I'm sure you would have announced it waaaay in advance to all of us.

I've been to Gaucho's Village. Gooooood stuff.. not for vegetarians.

EDIT: and it's spelled Churascaria.

23. JediBith

JediBith Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2001
    Picanha in Burbank. We call it House o' Meat. Sorry Nick...

EDIT: I DO think it would be appropriate if we all took a moment of silence today for the victims of the Holocaust. I will teach my son about it soon, but it breaks my heart that I have to do so. Still, it's important.

24. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    Yes, my padawan and I will discuss it today also. It is sad but a necessary topic. We discussed yesterday's train wreck.

25. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    There was going to be a revolt today at work. We have very crapy high priced food here on the lot. DB can back me up on that. Well today the food services group was going to make it right by giving us a free cookie with our meal. Whoop ti do a free cookie, and I need a microscope to see the darn thing it is about the size of a quarter!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.