main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LA, CA Questions, Complaints & Everything Else: Episode X: "No Time Like the Present!"

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by ValedaKor, Mar 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    We've reached that magic number on the other thread....

2. DarthHaskett

DarthHaskett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2003
    Someone should probably lock the other thread then. I was number 501.

I may be in trouble with respect to my start time as when I left yesterday afternoon the big boss saw me and it was earlier than we are technically supposed to leave. I hate this place sometimes.

Also, the lights are turned on by motion sensors. I trigger them when I walk in but the sensor is on the otherside of my partition so after a while I end up sitting in the dark. Fun times.

3. Skyryder

Skyryder Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 13, 2004
    Sounds like working for the city is great!

My complaint, I hate Adelphia cable. Why? Because two days ago they decided to change the channel lineup causing me to miss any show I record higher than channel 25. How much notice did they give? None. I received the new lineup flyer yesterday. I missed this show I was recording on Scifi because they moved SciFi from 160 to 59 and my Tivo unit was trying to find it but couldn't. I have since rebooted the tivo unit and had it download the new line up but had I not checked yesterday I would have never known until I missed all my shows.

Thanks Adelphia! You Rock!

4. Jiltedtoo

Jiltedtoo Jedi Master star 4

Nov 18, 2002
    AH BOO HOO!

I an't go to Disneyland because I have to work, and I wanted double vanilla in my latte, but they gave me only one, and my Tivo isn't recording any of my favorite shows because they changed my digital cable lineup. My life is Chaos! Calgon take me away!

5. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    Are you telling me that my complaints are shallow? If so there is no need, I already know that. If your biggest problem is that you are annoyed that they have cancelled the sale of really cheap IT equipment three times now due to rain then you really don't have anything to complain about.

And I don't drink lattes thank you. But I would have a hot herbal tea. But not too hot because it would burn me.

6. JediRacer

JediRacer Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 5, 2000
    I feel so guilty going online!!! I miss you guys!! I may get in trouble for posting this!! But I can't help it!! I'm addicted to the internet!

7. AniPadmeLurker

AniPadmeLurker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2004
    Wow, JT, wow. Wow. You know SR likes grande caramel macchiatos. [face_shame_on_you]

8. Elensara

Elensara Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    Any of you smart people able and willing to tutor me in calc, maybe once a week? I'll even come to you! The teacher expects us to have taken calc in high school, and therefore moves FAST. That worked for me only until geometry, bub. That's when math went from my favorite to least-favorite subject, where it's remained. Can you believe I'm actually wistful about pre-calc now? I got a 'C' in it! :(

Now off to cram for ch. 3 test at 2:30...

9. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    ES, Calculas is the worst. I had two semesters. I can't remember a thing. I would be a terrible tutor.

10. HardwareStoreJedi

HardwareStoreJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 10, 2006
    A few bits and pieces...

1.) The over-robe of my first set of Jedi robes is taking shape. I started it at Anime Los Angeles in January at the costuming workshop, did some machine sewing a couple of weeks ago. and I just got finished attaching the hood to the body by hand. Solo. (heh.) Now all that's left with this is to do the big finishing seam that goes from the bottom, around the front of the hood, and back down to the bottom of the other side, the hem on the bottom, and the hem on the cuffs. I have no regrets about doing this in Jamocha colored 100% cotton twill Oxford Cloth, (sooooo soft!) but the next time I do this I want to do one in Espresso colored fleece for winter wear. Real dark brown, toasty fleece...mmmmmm....like a blanky you can wear. Wool's too expensive, and when you consider that the Jedi exist in a time and place where you have hyperspace jump drive, instantaneous faster-than-light communications and lightsabres, they would certainly have modern fleece cloth for cold weather gear.:cool: There's a deal on fleece at Jo-Ann's so I'm going to make my move on that soon. Or maybe I'll check the Fashion District first before hitting Jo-Ann's. And I'll do it on a weekday so I can see what FIDM's scholarship store is giving away at $1/yard. Last time I was there I got about 10 yards of khaki 100% cotton sateen for my outer tunic and Hakama. They thought it was only a 5 yard piece. Lagniappe. Gotta love it.

2.) I have officially finished adding to the Hardware Store Jedi blog. I intended to stop after finishing the lightsabre tutorial, and now that this is done, it's time to wind it up. Since all the entries are in a single month, (March) you can read the entire thing in one archive page. If you want to hang onto it, you can save it out as a .PDF file if you're on Mac OS X, Linux or if you have a .PDF printer utility in Windows. I will put up links to an XviD version of the tutorial and perhaps an iPod-ready MP4 file and a PSP video file, but as far as actual entries go this is it. I'll mention further fannish stuff on my main blog.

3.) If you are looking for something to do tonight, my husband and his band FreeHead are playing at Taix French Restaurant's lounge. Taix is at 1911 Sunset Boulevard in Echo Park. The lounge is cozy and comfortable, their drinks are supposedly really good and really strong, (I don't do alcohol due to medication I take so I have to take the word of my friends at face value) and the food is, well, magnifique. Perhaps the anticipation of Taix food is the reason I'm dropping a few French phrases here and there. BTW FreeHead also features the guitar stylings of Jim Smith, one of the creators of The Ren & Stimpy Show and the guitarist featured on the show's famous Rockabilly theme song. I'll be the one wearing the "Tux as Obi-Wan" OS Wars T-shirt. ;)

11. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    That's great HSJ.

I would be interested in your listening to your husband's band. But not on a work night. Keep me posted on any weekend gigs. I place that serves food, drinks, and music is right up the LAFF alley I think.

12. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Truer words were never spoken.

13. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    By false teeth.

(this is a bad joke my boss says all the time)

14. JediRacer

JediRacer Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 5, 2000
    I would tutor you ES, but I think I totally forgot calculus. I took it in high school and in college, but that was like almost 20 years ago *yikes*.

15. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    I also would tutor you but I have also forgotten an awful lot of calculus. I'm having fun re-remembering algebra right now. Yesterday I was figuring out the square root of 99, just because. Of course that's simple stuff. I'm sure there are smarter math people out there who still remember calculus.

16. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    I'm mad with Sony's IT department right now. So me and my carpool buddy show up this morning for the computer sale at 5am. I was number 10 in line. The sale was to start at 8. At 8:20 they let us in 10 at a time. There were no laptops! They lied. They said that they had them, but they weren't ready and no one knew if they ones they had even worked. They took my name down and phone number. If they found a working one, they would call. I say don't bother.

There were about 300 people in line total.

There were tvs and vcrs but they were just crap.

17. Jiltedtoo

Nov 18, 2002
    Umm...I think all of us just act smart.

18. HardwareStoreJedi

Mar 10, 2006
    Total bummer. 5am call for nothing. Sorry to hear that. Then again Dell hasn't made good laptops for 6 years or so. And now they've bought Alienware so those are going to turn into expensive pieces of excrement. You'd be happier with a pre-Lenovo IBM ThinkPad. T40, T41, T42 and their "p" variants are really, really good. Any ThinkPad with a PIII that doesn't have a lower case "i" in the model number is really good. So are pre-Lenovo Centrino-based ThinkPads. Now that Lenovo is making them the quality is slipping fast. This leaves Toshiba, Panasonic Toughbook and Apple for sources for new lappies that are up to snuff.

19. Elensara

Elensara Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    Darn, I was thinking of JR & DH when I made that plea! Calculus? Anyone? Bueller?
    You probably had to take it...unless you're doing something like teaching secondary school or journalism or psychology or something.

I might be getting together with two girls from class to study, but one's not good at writing things out clearly, like the steps she takes to go from one thing to another, and the other, I can't read her messy math writing very well.

20. Jiltedtoo

Nov 18, 2002
    So tutor three college girls in Calc...hmm...I think this is a job for Bubba.

21. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    I want to say something bad here. I really really do.

HSJ, you will have to be my go to person for a laptop then. I'll check out those Thinkpads on ebay. I'm not needing anything special I just wanted something to surf the web from at home and at hotels.

22. HardwareStoreJedi

Mar 10, 2006
    My email is msgeek703 at gmail dot com. Drop me a line and I will feeder you some links to reliable sources for this sort of stuff. eBay unfortunately is a roll of the dice. I came out a winner on my ThinkPad 600x and my friend Tom came out a winner on his ThinkPad 570e but there are some mean sharks out there on eBay. People who will rip you off and not think twice.

Sorry about your disappointing experience this morning.

Take care,
    Michelle aka HSJ

23. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    I wish I could help you, ES. What part of calc are you studying? Maybe I can look it up again to see if I can remember how to do it. I took Calculus in HS and in college but that was centuries ago.

SR, that's a major bummer. I appreciate the fact that you tried to get some for us and of course, yourself. I am sure someone snagged them first and stuck them away somewhere so they can buy them after everyone has gone. Stupid people.

I'm going to work on potty training this weekend. Hopefully the weather will be good so I can keep them outside so they can learn to do their thing there. Juliet only goes on the paper and it appears only inside. Carruthers goes everywhere. I want to call him Mr. Pee-body. I take them outside for a long time and they refuse to go but I take them in and suddenly they have to go.

24. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    Well good news. I got a laptop from work yesterday. All thanks to my car pool buddy. Her department (finance) was running the show yesterday and afterwards when she learned of all the before sale under the table dealings that went on she blew up at her boss and just about every single person she could find that had anything to do with the mess. Well her efforts got me and her each a laptop. Only cost me $75 plus $30 for dinner because I needed to thank her for her loud mouth. I wouldn't have ever made a fuss but glad she did.

For $75 it isn't all that bad. A little noisy and I need a new battery for it but it works just fine otherwise. I'm on it right now to be exact. Sitting in my bed.

25. JediBith

JediBith Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2001
    Yay SR!!!! That is great news, and you deserve it! Have you ordered the extra stuff for it yet? I'm going accessory shopping later today...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.