main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Questions for all the star wars buffs out there....

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Arotas_Starlight, Jun 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arotas_Starlight

Arotas_Starlight Jedi Youngling

Jun 11, 2005
    Hi everyone,
    I'm working on a novel and while I consider myself a fairly knowledgeable person when it comes to star wars, I definitely don't know all of the vast EU that is out there. Which is where all of you smart people come in, if anyone could help me out with these questions I would be most appreciative. By the way my novel is taking place during and after ROTS.

1. I don't have the star wars encyclopedia so I have been using this online galaxy guide as my source. Can anyone verify if this site is legit? Specifically when it comes to the planets Jkhanp and Bortras? Also any further info on these two planets would help me out a lot.

2. What is a star warsish way to say "oh my gosh" or "oh my god".

3. What is something a jedi might eat?

Thanks!

2. Drabbo_Fett

Drabbo_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2003
    1. What site?

2. "Oh my," or "Oh dear," usually work and are in the movies, or "By the Force!"

3. Food, generally. Or scenery, though they usually just chew on it and don't swallow. :p

3. ZebulaNebula

ZebulaNebula Jedi Master star 5

Feb 10, 2005
    1. I'd recommend theComplete, Unofficial Star Wars Encyclopedia (or CUSWE for Short). Anything there is legit. Anything other than that or the Official Site's Data Bank, I, personally, would not trust.

2. "Sweet Force", "By the Force" "What in the nine Corellian Hells", "Burning Skies".

3. Search the CUSWE for foods. The Jedi eat what everyone else does. Although, they'd be more likely than most to be Vegetarians.

4. oldjedinurse

oldjedinurse Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    Re: #2.

There's also "Oh my stars!" or "Sweet burning stars!"

If you want to go into a little stronger language there's "Kriff!" "Sithspit!" "Sithspawn!"

Best,

oldj

5. Arotas_Starlight

Jun 11, 2005
  6. ZebulaNebula

ZebulaNebula Jedi Master star 5

Feb 10, 2005
    It's bogus. Sorry to say it, but it's completely wrong. I checked. The data about Hapes, Corellia, Dathomir, and other major EU worlds is about as wrong as can be. The files on Tattooine and Naboo violate every level of canon there is. And those are just the random worlds I checked.

7. DCWiz00

DCWiz00 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 29, 2004
    I'd have to agree with Zebula. While that site might be ok for the Star Wars Galaxies game (which it appears it was made for), a good portion of its information is wrong. I would suggest using the CUSWE (which Zebula was kind enough to provide a link to) or if you want a visual index of the galaxy you can use this Nav-Computer. It doesn't provide much information but it gives you a look at the Star Wars Galaxy for reference.

As for the how would you say "OMG!", I would use any of the above examples.

And you can find several types of food in the CUSWE.

Hmm...my posts always seem a little redundant. [face_thinking] :p

8. Arotas_Starlight

Jun 11, 2005
    Thanks for the info and links guys! I should have known to check what they had about some of the big worlds before using it as a resource. Does anyone have any suggestions on what planets I could use instead. I'm looking for two that haven't been widely developed in the star wars universe. One needs to be a grassland close to the Coruscant system. The other can be anywhere in the galaxy, but according to my novel they have representatives in the senate, so it can't be some uncharted world.

9. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
  10. SkalenFehl

SkalenFehl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    There's enough info out there with the right search engines. As for what Jedi eat, well, have you ever seen their utility belts? They have capsules that contain food pelets. If all else fails, they eat what's available. Consider what Qui-Gon ate on Tatooine at Schmi's home. Remember Anakin and Padme's flirtatious dinner in Ep. II? Fruit looks like a part of their diet as well. I imagine that Obi-Wan would eat just about any of Dexter's cooking, too. Sometimes you can just tell by the environment and also by a jedi's association what they might eat.

11. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    Does anyone have any suggestions on what planets I could use instead.

As an advocate of making stuff up, I suggest (what else?) that you make up a planet of your own. The GFFA is a vast place and I figure there's no way the names of all the inhabited worlds have been published.

Just take the information you've found at that website, tweak a few details to fit your fic, and change the planet's first syllable. (I'm not kidding. Among the GFFA planets are Dantooine, Klatooine, Mantooine, Minntooine, Reltooine, Sestooine, Tatooine, and Ventooine.)

- lazy

12. Lt_Murgen

Lt_Murgen Jedi Youngling

Jun 14, 2005
    as for language, keep in mind it is a big galaxy.

A character MAY be from a culture that believes in a single god, a pantheon of gods, or any other thing. Their cuss words may reflect their beliefs.

Also, other cuss words may be specific to their race. For example, in Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina, one of the carnivorous species uses his race's cuss words, one of which loosely translates to "cold food." To a carnivore, someone who would eat that....

Another source would be history. Perhaps, as a young girl, a character visited a nerf-ranch, where she was bitten by a nerf. Thus, to her, a nerf-herder would be a swear word.

13. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Check out nav-computer for galaxy maps. TFN posters have had input to planet locations, etc over in Literature. The TFN user Cartographer is the site designer.

14. Killik_Twilight

Killik_Twilight Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2005
    I don't believe there's really any major info on Bortras . . . I've looked. Perhaps just not hard enough.

KT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.