Questions, Questions, Questions...

Discussion in 'Revenge of the Sith' started by aPPmaSTer, May 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TH421 Jedi Knight

star 2
    My major question is why did Bail clearly state the 3P0 was the have a memory wipe. Does that mean that R2 didn't have one?

Yes.

And if thats the case that opens up an entirely new view on R2 for the OT.

It certainly does. Kind of explains why Artoo seems to know what he's doing, while Threepio is such a ninny, doesn't it?

Which brings us to:

Am I really supposed to believe that Obi-wan doesn't recognize R2D2 twenty years later?

Who says he doesn't? I think he recognised Artoo right away. He only tells Luke that he does not recall ever owning a droid - which is true.

After Palpatine told the story about the sith who could create life with midiclorian... are we to believe he was the one that created Anakin?

That was at one point considered for inclusion in the script but discareded as repetetive. Lucas prefers to leave it as a mystery. But certainly it was something for Anakin to wonder about, wasn't it?

Come on, why did Padme really die?

Of a broken heart. She could not live with what Anakin had become, knowing he was loyal to a dictator who stood against everything she believed in, and would gladly eliminate her if she was vocal in her opposition. If Anakin Force-chokes her for speaking her mind, what do you think the Emperor would do?

Padmé represented Democracy in the PT. Her death is symbolic of the fall of the Republic.

How did they decide about the babies' fates so easily, and most important of all...how come Leia gets superstar treatment on a resort planet, whereas Luke gets to be the next thing to a slave on a scorched desert world?? That's unfair...

Is it fair that Padmé got to participate in the Youth in Governance Program on Naboo while Anakin was slaving in Watto's junk-shop?

Each child got an up-bringing similar to that their parents had. Luke with the advantage of not being a slave. It was a good solution, putting each child in an environment close to what their parents had been raised with, before they happened to meet. I liked the symmetry.
  2. aerith97 Jedi Padawan

Mon Mothma is actually visible during the politicians greeting Anakin. She's in the white.
  3. chinoloco99 Jedi Knight

For drummer_etc,

Why would obi-wan think that Leia is a possible hope?
    She is a politician after all, unlike Luke, who is training to be a jedi. Just because you know of her as a twin to Luke and a off spring of anakin doesn't mean you clearly see her as a "hope" for overthrowing the Sith. Luke knows the way of the force, Leia is a senator. Not a plot hole.

for the people who mentioned this:
    Obi-wan had his memory erased too..

>- Am I really supposed to believe that Obi-wan doesn't recognize R2D2 twenty years later?

He does recognize the droids. Do you think he would just decide to go to Alderaan on some message from a droid if he didn't know exactly what the droids were and what they represented and that Leia talks about her father senator organa, who kenobi can reference to Leia's identity?
    Also, What is he going to say in front of Luke's presense? "I never remember OWNING any droids.." (technically true since they were not his, the droids belong to Anakin and Padme and later captain antilles.) or "the last time I saw you two droids, I was cutting off luke's fathers and hands and watching him burn on a volcano planet. WHy are you here?"

4. kel_kenobi Jedi Padawan

why did Bail clearly state the 3P0 was the have a memory wipe. Does that mean that R2 didn't have one?

Because Lucas knew that if he didn't forums such as this would be filled with threads like:

"MAJOR PLOT HOLE!!!! C3PO SHOULD HAVE REMEBERED EVERYTHING!!!!!"

"DID 3PO HAVE HIS MEMORY ERASED?????"

"WHY DOESN'T C3PO REMEMBER TATOOINE IN ANH?????"
  5. bantha_poodoo Jedi Knight

star 1
    obi wans exact words upon laying eyes on R2 in anh are " why hello my little friend."
  6. jaguaro Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Okay here's a question. Does Luke say "Do you remember your mother, your real mother?", or does he just say "do you remember your mother?"? Because I would swear he says the former in the movie but maybe i'm just thinking of the book or something.
  7. Jinshin Jedi Padawan

Gotta love Wikipedia:

"After Padmé Amidala died giving birth to Luke Skywalker and Leia Skywalker, he couldn't be trusted to keep the information in fear that Darth Vader would learn from him both that twins had been born, and where they had been taken."
  8. TheEmperorsProtege Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    bantha_poodoo posted on 5/20/05 10:52pm

/>

exactly. thanks for pointing that out. obiwan is quite happy and pleased at seeing R2. I always wondered why he is so sweet with a driod

-Mel/>/>
  9. jaguaro Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I am still pissed at yoda for going into exile and leaving all these innocent people in the emperors hand. we dont know how many got killed, but this dude destroyed alderaan. so he will probably be responsible for the deaths of millions or billions... how could yoda just sit on dagobah and do nothing?

Well for one thing, there is no way to summon the remaining Jedi, and he is just one being. He had one chance to kill the emperor and he lost the advantage.

also why didnt they train luke or leia to be their last best hope earlier?

Good question. I think they were just afraid of what the emperor would do if they were discovered, plain and simple.

and why when in hiding give Luke his fathers name SKYWALKER? wouldnt that make it much much easier for vader to find him?

That doesn't really bother me. For one thing, does the Emperor know if the kids survived? Someone was saying that Padme looked pregnant during her funeral, maybe that was a trick. I am convinced though that Vader thinks the babies are dead, though. After all, Palpatine told him that he killed her, leaving Vader to believe that the force choke did her in.
  10. SuperJediStyle Jedi Master

star 4
    So, if Obi-Wan was present for the birth of the twins, it kinda makes the OT scene where Yoda tells him..."there is another" a bit odd doesnt it ??
  11. Darth_Downunder Chosen One

star 5
    The Duel was a bit over-edited wasn't it? Unless I'm mistaken we don't see how Anakin is disarmed & then starts choking Obi-Wan. It just cuts to him & he's without his lightsaber..?
  12. RaptorRage Force Ghost

star 4
    Seems that it might have been also cut from separate scenes since there is still that glitch with Obi-wan holding Anakin's saber in most of the shots except when it switches to him holding his own saber.

But yeah it seems overall there was some point not shown that Obi-wan got ahold of Anakin's saber then the scene cuts in to Anakin unarmed choking Obi-wan.
  13. captainjy Jedi Padawan

Why did Obi-Wan just watch Anakin suffer and burst into flame without doing anything...they're like brothers after all?

I asked this question too. He should have just cut his head off and not leave him to suffer a slow death. The only explanation I can think of is that in the end Obi-wan simply couldn't bring himself to deal a fatal blow. He knew Anakin had to die, but he couldn't do the act himself, so he left him to burn.

We talked about this today at work. I think that Obi-wan didn't kill Anakin because he was the Chosen One. Knowing this, I think he felt that if he killed him that the prophecy would not be fulfilled. And if just left him, that nature would run its course.
  14. jaguaro Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Okay here are a bunch of questions from multiple posts, all at once:

After Palpatine told the story about the sith who could create life with midiclorian... are we to believe he was the one that created Anakin? Was Anakin his plan all along to become his apprentice? But didnt he say he didnt know how to do it and together they would learn the power to create life? So who did do it... and why pick a slave mom and Tatooine????

That was a trick, I honestly believe that. Palpatine was aware of the prophecy, and he was just playing Anakin to get him to believe that the dark side created him. I don't believe that for a minute. I loved that scene by the way.

My major question is why did bail clearly state the 3P0 was the have a memory wipe. Does that mean that R2 didn't have one? And if thats the case that opens up an entirely new view on R2 for the OT.

Believe it or not, I was actually hoping thats what would happen. I always thought that R2 knew a lot more than he was letting on, and I think it adds a cool new dimension to his character.

Am I really supposed to believe that Obi-wan doesn't recognize R2D2 twenty years later?

For what its worth, the ROTS book says that Obi Wan looks at droids as objects. At one point he corrects Anakin, who calls Arfour "he". "You mean it". I just dont think he cared all that much about droids. And what are the odds that you would remember after 20 years anyway?

Oh yeah and to answer a question that hasn't been asked yet, R2 has a lot of "special modifications"- many of which are put on by Anakin. It's not unreasonable to think that he was scaled down during his time on the Tantive IV.

I liked Padme's death, she had no reason left to live, Anakin was Vader so dead to her, the Senate was an Empire her life long work and the kids would only serve as a daily reminder of the life she could've had. So she just threw in the towel. Fair enough i reckon

I agree, I liked her death. Well "like" is a terrible word, but what I mean is I think the scene was effective because for starters, I thought it was interesting how her death was intercut with Vader surviving. You could say that Anakin was struggling to stay alive to save Padme, while Padme was losing the will to live for precisely that reason.

Further, remember that if she were to die any other way (ie- fighting for her life to keep those kids alive), then it would have nullified the paradox that makes up the entire movie. And that is, the very thing that Anakin does to save Padme is the very thing that kills her. That's a story as old as time, going all the way back to Oedipus. I think its great.
  15. Darth_Downunder Chosen One

star 5
    The Duel was a bit over-edited wasn't it? Unless I'm mistaken we don't see how Anakin is disarmed & then starts choking Obi-Wan. It just cuts to him & he's without his lightsaber..?
  16. kirky Jedi Padawan

"Childs play for Palpatine to pluck the thoughts from Anakin's mind? You're drawing a long bow there. Surely Yoda could have done that also."

I agree that Palps plucked the thought from Anakin's mind. As to the question as to why Yoda was not able to do so, maybe thats what makes the dark side bad, as in Palps in plucking the idea from anakin's mind WITHOUT his permission. Yoda would never do.
  17. jaguaro Jedi Youngling

star 1
    obi wans exact words upon laying eyes on R2 in anh are " why hello my little friend."

Right, and remember that the only thing he ever admits is that he "doesnt recall ever owning a droid". Technically as a Jedi, he doesnt own ANYTHING. Except a lightsaber. Posessions are forbidden. Kind of clever, huh? But besides, R2 was never his robot, even if you want to argue that what I just is semantics.
  18. jaguaro Jedi Youngling

star 1
    So, if Obi-Wan was present for the birth of the twins, it kinda makes the OT scene where Yoda tells him..."there is another" a bit odd doesnt it ??

Not necessarily. Obi Wan has an inherent disdain for politicians, and Leia was raised by politicians. He probably thinks she is just going to be part of the bureaucratic machine.
  19. TOOFARGONE Jedi Padawan

when OB1 & Grievous stare into each others eyes is it possible Grievous may be MAUL ?

are we sure that Sidious isn't Anakins creator because Sidious did say the "apprentice"(sidious?) learnt everything from his master (Plagieus) before killing him in his sleep! Would make sense how he planned everything to a tee !

wasn't Sidious all ready hideous before the fight with Windu and what was that, lightsabre burn ?

20. jaguaro Jedi Youngling

star 1
    when OB1 & Grievous stare into each others eyes is it possible Grievous may be MAUL ?

That would be really cool. Unfortunately I dont think thats the case.

21. aPPmaSTer Force Ghost

star 3
    obi wans exact words upon laying eyes on R2 in anh are "why hello my little friend."

Clearly there are no true Star Wars fans among you if three of you that posted this couldn't see it!

His exact words were "Hello there. Come he my little friend."

Shame...
  22. TIEIntercepter Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Am I the only one who does not think yoda getting a "piggy back ride" from chewy was funny.

I mean how is that funny?
  23. TheEmperorsProtege Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    dude not everyone is as obsessed about all the lines in the movie as you ;)

-Mel
  24. gillchris123 Jedi Padawan

I didnt think it was funny....it was so cool you just laughed because it was cool, and classic at the same time.
  25. TheEmperorsProtege Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I think why most people laugh is that Yoda had just beheaded two clone troopers with ease and then he needs to rely on a wookie to carry him

-Mel
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.