main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Questions that Make you Think

Discussion in 'Archive: Big Brother Strikes Back' started by COSLeiaOrganaSolo, May 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. COSLeiaOrganaSolo

COSLeiaOrganaSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 15, 2002
    First off: Do believe that man is born bad or outside forces cause man to become corrupt?

2. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Ooo..deep question, COS. Because of my faith, I believe we are all born as sinners - we all have the capacity to sin. However, I believe that nurture has a great deal more to do with whether a person becomes a criminal or "evil" per say than nature.

There are exceptions, of course. We see people that are psychopathic and exhibit deviant behavior from when they were small. However, I think for the majority of people, the values they are given and the culture of the home and community in which they are raised plays a big part in who they become and what they value as adults.

3. B'omarr

B'omarr Jedi Master star 6

Apr 7, 2000
    I've always thought it was a little of both. There are going to be traits passed from parent to offspring that the offspring will manifest. If parents can pass physical appearance, then they should pass behaviors genetically too.

But Pavlov's dogs proved without a doubt that behavior can be modified to suit given situations. If a bell makes the dogs salivate, then other behaviors would be modified by other aspects of society and upbringing.

There was actually a doctor named John Watson who used to test on human infants. He'd give them a teddy bear, and whenever the kid reached for it, he'd clash symbols behind them. The result was that the kids were horribly afraid of teddy bears for the rest of their lives. I'm not related to that doctor, by the way.

4. COSLeiaOrganaSolo

Sep 15, 2002
    I think it depends on both factors. Like let's say someone's parents beat them. Person A might decide to never do that to their children because they had to go through that horror when they were young, but person B might beat their children because they were beaten as a child.

5. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I agree with what Kate said, also because of my faith.

6. TheEmperorsHand

TheEmperorsHand Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 27, 2000
    I believe that people are born good, and what is in their character as well as what happens to them in their lifetime is what decides for them how they will act. That's why I think there's that whole struggle between good and evil inside each person.

That was a pretty deep question though ;) It requires a lot of thought, so I'm sorry if I didn't consider it for long enough before answering, but that's pretty much what I think about that.

7. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    I don't believe that people are born bad; I'm pretty religious, though. I mean, the way I see it, if people were born bad, babies (when and if they die.. which is a sad subject to talk about..) wouldn't go to heaven.

But then, there's the thought that because Adam and Eve ate the fruit in the garden of Eden and were cast out, their offspring was doomed to be sinners..

Eh.. it's a bit confusing.

Of course, as I said, I'm very religious. So, yeah...

~ James

8. COSLeiaOrganaSolo

Sep 15, 2002
    I think we're up for another question. :p

Do you believe in fate?

9. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Hmmm...I guess it depends on how you're defining "fate". I believe in God's Will for my life, but I don't believe in coincidence. I don't believe it was fate that brought me my husband, it was what God wanted for my life.

Now, to take it deeper, what if He had brought me my husband and I didn't choose him? I think that God would have brought me someone else. Does that answer your question? :p

10. B'omarr

B'omarr Jedi Master star 6

Apr 7, 2000
    No, I don't believe in fate at all. I believe I'm respoinsible for my actions, not some type of mystic predetermination. All the good decisions of my life have been made on my own, and consequently, I only blame myself for the errors I've made.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.