main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Questions to people who watch any TV show or movie more than once

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by SilSolo, Feb 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    I'm just wondering, is it normal for me to watch somethign the first time for the plot and the second time for the characters and all of the humor? More than half the times I watch things more than once, I find myself cheering for different characters (often teh villains) each time after the first.

2. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    I've probably seen every episode of MASH 20 times. The same with X-Files. I never gets old for me. TV Land is your friend.

3. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    I do that too, if I like the movie/show. The first time is for the general feel of it, plot, characters etc. Second time around is either looking at different characters and usually more often the costuming in it.

4. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    First time's just to see it. Second time I consume everything in. No wonder I had to see ROTS and GOF so many times this year. :p After that on DVD or repeats, it's just for fun.

5. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I tend to be the opposite. Sometimes I'll watch the first time for characters first, and then plot.

6. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    I can watch a movie hundreds of times and still enjoy it. First, I watch for the main plot - to see if everything works. Then, I usually just watch it for my favorite character. Sometimes I just listen to the music and ignore the dialog to see if everything works that way. Then I watch for the small details, and then after watching a lot of times, I just watch it to enjoy it.

7. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I tend to watch things for the characters and stories, and then go back to nitpick things. Camera angles, lines, seeing how everything is tied in together.

8. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I think the great films/television shows (albums and books too) are the ones that you can experience several times.

You tend to get more every time.

And if you're like me and watch movies for the experience, then it's understandable.

9. Merlyn_Gabriel

Merlyn_Gabriel Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2005
    I lost count how many times I've watched Firefly and Serenity.
    Both my husband and I watch most of our dvds over and over which is why we don't mind spending the money on them. (We don't get 'normal' tv here in Ticino and we don't speak enough Italian to understand it even if we were to go ahead with cable)

so I think it is very normal to repeat watch a show especially when it is really well written...

right now we are doing our second run through of Babylon 5. :)

but then we are also self acclaimed geeks :)

10. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    I never thought much about a reason to do it. I don't even know one. Why do I watch something that I know more often than, say, 2 or 3 times? Why do I enjoy some scenes more when re-watching them than just by memory? :confused:

11. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I think it's like a drug. Based on your personal history, perceptions, like/dislaikes etc. You are getting your natural high off watching something that clicked with you.

12. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I just watch to watch. I only watched for any other purpose was rewatching much of Highlander as I was trying to do a fan fic, many moons ago. I wanted to be sure I had all my facts straight and this was before I had a computer to use the net.

13. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I saw RoTS a bunch of times (as I did AoTC). Since the closest digital cinema to my home here in the UK is up in London (about 30-45 minutes travel by train and then a Tube ride) I only got to see AOTC once there before Minority Report pushed it out. I did that viewing as a 'scenery' viewing, especially the Coruscant night scenes. I had about four RoTS viewings before War of the Worlds kicked it out and each time was more of a 'scenery' viewing than a plot or main character viewing. I saved the plot and character viewings for the local cinema, where both films stayed around about a month longer.
    There are a few TV shows I never tire of - MASH is one. Usually the number of repeat viewings depends on the episode.

14. Arwen Sith

Arwen Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    First time, I watch it for the plot. Second and any subsequent, I usually watch the costuming, characters and dialog. I love watching for pointers to future episodes or events when I already know what's coming. That's why watching Babylon 5 again and again is so rewarding. A throw-away line in one episode can clue you in to something universe-shattering a few episodes or even a season later.

15. Forcefire

Forcefire Jedi Master star 4

Jul 17, 2000
    I'm reminded of the one scene of Twelve Monkeys that I've seen, with Bruce Willis in the movie theater, talking about experiencing things over again, like movies, and it being different from the last time you saw it because you were different the last time you saw it. I think it's a valid way of looking at the question.

16. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I don't think I rewatch moive or TV series for any reason other than the pure enjoyment of them.

Only series I own are the Whedon trio and those are just a delight with each veiwing. The rewatching now is purely for the characters and dialog, just so damn fun. It gotten beyond the seeing something new and more to the recite by heart point, but I still love them.

You are getting your natural high off watching something that clicked with you.

I'd have to agree with that. Heh, heh.

17. Ludo_Kressh

Ludo_Kressh Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2005
    I've probably seen every episode of MASH 20 times.

Gods, me too...my mom watches it all the time, so I've seen just about every episode of it...:p

Some people don't get the same enjoyment out of watching a movie over and over again, but to me, everytime I watch a movie again, I always find something in it that I didn't see the first time, so to me, it's like watching it again for the first time.(if the makes sense...[face_worried] )

18. Darth_Pazuzu

Darth_Pazuzu Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2005
    I like watching episodes of Law And Order: Criminal Intent the second time around, because you understand the pre-credit teaser sequences so much better! When you watch the opening scenes of each episode, it cuts back and forth between all the activity leading up to the commission of a murder or horrible crime, but it's out of context and we don't quite know what's going on. It's left up to the viewer to try and figure out exactly how each participant is involved, and for what reason they would have to commit the crime. And usually there are unexpected twists and turns, and details that were conveniently omitted from the prologue, so for the most part the viewer would be wrong!

19. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    I'll probably never watch my 24 DVDs again, however my Red Dwarf DVDs are never far from the DVD player.

No matter how many times I see the funny bits I still like to see them again.

20. redsabreanakin

redsabreanakin Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 16, 2005
    ^^^ Exactly. (the 24 part I mean). It's such a great show; one of my favorites. I myself beleive it's one of those shows that you can watch once...maybe twice...but then all the dramatic tension that the show is based on is just "LOST" (same thing with that show as well)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.