main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Questions you have after watching TFA

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by TheReal_Rebel, Dec 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014

Yeah, I forget what exactly she called it, but she mentions to stay away because "you'll drown in the sand." So I took it as more like a REALLY effective form of quicksand or something like that.

MeBeJedi likes this.
  2. Caode

Caode Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 8, 2015

Yeah that's what it is, she emphasizes the danger of that specific area (the name eludes me now) but, when Hux is informed of where the stolen TIE fighter was going to end up after being shot down, didn't they specify that exact area that Rey had mentioned?

3. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Why is it... other than Jakku, that any other planet was not named as they were traveling to it? I get that we have Takodana... but it was never said in the film, and D'Qar is where the Resistance base is... but again, never mentioned in the film other than being in the Ileenium System.

Every other film we know the planets name before the characters get there etc. It's been my only real gripe about the film.

All it takes is a simple line "Bespin is pretty far, but I think we can make it."

4. JediKnightYJK

JediKnightYJK Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 17, 2016
    (1) Didn't the Rebels win the war? but why are they called the Resistance? Is the Resistance different with the Republic?
    (2) If the Resistance are the protectors of the Republic how could they have only 30 X-wings pilots? shouldn't they have a huge fleet?
    (3) What is the First Order? is it just Empire 2.0 or terror gang?

I actually think it would have been better if they put some political stuff in the movie to address these..

Sauntaero likes this.
  5. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    Was Yavin ever mentioned by name? I'm trying to recall whether or not it was but I don't think so. Nor was Tatooine I don't think in ANH. I agree though... it would have been nice to hear the actual names of the planets in the movie. When I first watched I thought Takadona was the same planet as D'Quar.

1. Yes, two different entities. The Resistance is quietly supported by the Republic to help keep the peace against the First Order. The Rebels did win the Galactic Civil War but that was 30 years ago. The situation is different now.

2. You would think, but again, the Resistance isn't the Republic, who has their own fleet that is destroyed during the movie.

3. It's an offshoot of the Empire, which was defeated in the Galactic Civil War. Some of the remnants went into the unknown regions to reform and gain power to eventually become the threat we see in the film.

None of this was explained very well in the film but the opening crawl does contain some pertinent information.

JediKnightYJK likes this.
  6. JediKnightYJK

JediKnightYJK Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 17, 2016
    Fair enough... I do think that they could of made the political stuff more interesting but..

Like I wanted a huge fleet battle like in the start of the ROTS but... the dog fight was still awesome :)

7. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Yavin was mentioned by the imperials during the attack.

You might be right about Tatooine though.

8. zico291

zico291 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 29, 2016
    Did they pull a Revan with Rey?
    I am pretty sure no one can just pull off a Mind Trick and "Luke Skywalker" Kylo at the end.

9. Evetssteve10

Evetssteve10 Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 21, 2015
    How the hell did you guys pull of such an amazing film?

10. Worker11811

Worker11811 Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Space vehicles have exhaust trails in TFA.

These are most visible when they are flying at a medium distance against a bright background. Light distortion from heat I get, but why would it leave a trail of what we'd identify as smog from an ion-propulsion engine?

11. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Because it looks good?

Howard Hand and Worker11811 like this.
  12. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    Chemtrails. The Resistance is up to some shady things dude. Unkar used to look like a normal human being, before the ships came with their space poison. I heard all about it on a holocast by this really savvy leaker named Hux. Look it up.

I shouldn't say more. I've probably already said too much.

13. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    There was a thread a loooooooong time ago where we discussed where the actual names of people, craft, or planets were named. For example, the X-wing isn't mentioned until ESB ("Lord Vader, ship approaching. X-wing class"). For some reason, I seem to recall that Tatooine was only mentioned in ESB, which was funny because that was the only OT movie that didn't show Tatooine. I'll have to go back and check now...dammit! :p

[EDIT] Maybe this was it.

Luke speaking into the comlink as a medical droid works on his hand. Leia
    stands near him while Threepio and Artoo look out the window.

LUKE
    (into comlink)
    I'll meet you at the rendezvous
    point on Tatooine.

14. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    Why is The First Order called The First Order? Considering that it comes after the Empire what is "first" referring to?

15. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Why do I have to wait so long for the next episode? That was my main question :p lol

16. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    Lots of questions. Which is a good thing.

17. Colm

Colm Jedi Master star 2

May 19, 2005
    After the Empire fell they were the first group to try and sort out the chaos of the galaxy. So they are the first in their own eyes. And the order part, not only is it what they are trying to bring to the galaxy, it is also a reference to the Empire, in the prologue of the novelization of the original Star Wars in 1977

"But a small number of systems rebelled at these new outrages. Declaring themselves opposed to the New Order they began the great battle to restore the Old Republic."

quote from http://www.coffeewithkenobi.com/an-...novelization-by-guest-blogger-mike-macdonald/ Further info on the New Order http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/New_Order

So I believe that the First Order see the Empire (New Order) as point zero and they are the next to come after it so, First.

18. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    The first galactic order after the Imperial collapse, and the disorder of the New Republic. Hux even spells this out by accusing the Republic of acquiescing to disorder.

19. Knights of Ben

Knights of Ben Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 30, 2016
    There's also, I think, a strong suggestion with "First Order" that they are wiping the slate clean. They will be the ones who will succeed where the empire have failed. They will be the "first", in this regard, to create a lasting hegemony where the empire could not. They will be the "first" order that succeeds, and so any regime that might follow them, or that might evolve from them, will have to recognise this.

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  20. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Where are you guys hearing some of this?! Lol it's HOSNIAN Prime not Hoisin or whatever lol.

Some issues are easily figured out with repeated viewings :p

21. King_Crimson

King_Crimson Jedi Padawan star 1

May 19, 2013
    Evetssteve10: "How the hell did you guys pull of such an amazing film?"

Oh it was quite easy actually :) Just cobble together a poorly thought out, rushed, half-baked script with holes you could drive a super star-destroyer through, watch and memorize Ep IV A New Hope, come up with a check-list of things that worked in the OT, shamelessly pander to undiscerning people's nostalgia and sentimentality, shoot and edit the film at such a frantic pace that it doesn't allow for the audience to take a breath, perform some introspection and realize just how bad the narrative is, watch and memorize Ep IV A New Hope, avoid ANY REFERENCE to the PT AT ALL COSTS, fulfill the Requisite Diversity Quota (must average no more than 1 white male for every non-white male) to appease the PC police (as well as hit every possible key demographic), loosely string together a "plot" driven by contrivances, coincidences, and deus ex machinas, hire Larry Kasdan to throw in some "witty dialogue", and most importantly WATCH AND MEMORIZE EP IV A NEW HOPE.

Boom.

93% on RT, 900 mil domestic and 2 bil worldwide.

Brennan Marshall likes this.
  22. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Where are the Ewoks? Where did Kylo get his action figure collection? Why doesn't the Republic do anything about the First Order? Why is Luke so afraid of a guy some desert scavenger can handle with ease? Where have all the A-Wings gone? Why aren't any Ewoks piloting A-Wings?

23. TheKoaster

TheKoaster Jedi Padawan

Jan 28, 2016
    On board the Finalizer, when they are trying to figure out who helped Poe escape in the TIE fighter, Kylo Ren says, "The one from the village, FN-2187". What does he mean when he says that? I'm asking because while it seems quite obvious to me he's just saying it's the guy who was in the village earlier, it's translated into Japanese as " the one who was born and/or raised in that village", and an awful lot of the Japanese audience believe that the village is where Finn was taken from when he was very young.

24. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    That will be simple translation error; "from" could easily be translated to mean "place of origin" rather than "a reference to the time I first noticed him"

25. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Now that's a troll I've not heard in a long time. A long time. You will not soon be back, or in greater numbers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.