main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Qui-Gon confidence killed him

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Xenor, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Xenor

Xenor Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 7, 2014
    Why did he not regroup with Obi Wan instead of attacking Maul again.
    He could have go backwards to Obi?!

[​IMG]

Jangounchained1990 likes this.
  2. TK-421 Is vader

TK-421 Is vader Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2015
    Because he thought he could have t4ken Maul, because he's Liam Neeson.

Revanfan1 and darth_mccartney like this.
  3. The Sith Camp

The Sith Camp Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 10, 2015

4. Prospecting on Subtyrrell

Prospecting on Subtyrrell Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 18, 2014
    It was rope a dope. He's retreating like he wants to escape, Qui Gon is not impressed and goes after him, then when they are alone Maul lets out his true power and makes quick work of the Jedi Master. You can see Qui Gon realizing this just before the killing blow.

If it hadn't been so easy he probably wouldn't have become so arrogant and Obi Wan would have been dead too.

5. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

I remember thinking the same thing back in the theater.

Such thinking quite often simply does not apply to movies. Ignoring such thinking is done to make the movie more entertaining.

Qui-Gon goes ahead because that's what Lucas wanted, and no amount of thinking or humility on Qui-Gon's part could have changed this. It's a decision made out of universe.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  6. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
    Whatever it is the dramatic death a real tear jerker. For me QG carried TPM more than any other character. GL knew how to mold the story so that the death of QG was the beginning of the end of the Jedi. He had compassion and unafraid to say whatever he had to. Well for sure his confidence had a bit to do with his death but as Obi Wan in ANH said "Your destiny lies along a different path than mine" QG probably had that in mind when it came to Obi Wan. It's a great juxtaposition and parallel.

MJ

7. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    "It was a dramatic death" pretty much covers it. Lucas was going for the tear-jerker. And maybe speculation on what might have happened if Qui-Gon had trained Anakin.

Regardless, Qui-Gon was marked from the time his character was created. Whether he got too confident in the battle with Maul or got accidentally strangled by Jar-Jar's tongue, he was going to die.

9. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012
    sigh...

Qui Gon was not over-confident. Qui Gon was separated from Obi Wan, and more than likely was not sure if Obi Wan could get to him in time.

So what is Qui Gon facing? If Maul pushes Qui Gon back, Qui Gon is facing being stuck in close quarters when the force fields close again. Qui Gon already had to run away from Maul when they fought on Tatooine, so the thought of being stuck with Maul, in close quarters (between two force fields) is not the best place for him to be.

Qui Gon had to push out of the force fields in order to give himself space and buy himself time for Obi Wan to get to him. He realizes Maul would shred him in close quarters.

So Qui Gons actions were his only choice in hopes he could survive long enough for Obi Wan to get there and help him.

10. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    they had never faced a sith before.

11. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    what makes anyone think that Maul would have just stood there not attacking Qui-Gonn while Obi-Wan caught up ?!

12. TK-421 Is vader

TK-421 Is vader Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2015
    Qui-gon trusted Obi-wan to use force speed and not jog. That trust was misplaced.

Pain and Suffering likes this.
  13. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Qui-Gon was simply tiring, didn't have time to look back to see where Obi-Wan was and had already barely escaped on Tatooine when he last faced Maul. Over confidence was the last thing that contributed to Qui-Gon's demise.

14. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Agreed. I've absolutely never gotten the inflection that Qui-Gon was arrogant and thought he could take Maul. He had Maul retreating and seemed to be in control and trusted in Obi-Wan to catch up. It turns out Maul was baiting him into a trap. Pretty simple.

thejeditraitor and mikeximus like this.
  15. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
  16. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    In Star Wars, people usually lose duels by being too aggressive or too overconfident. I think the same holds true in Qui-Gon's case.

That's not to say it reflects poorly on Qui-Gon's overall character or anything. It was just a momentary lapse in judgment. We can even see that Qui-Gon quickly regains his composure and remembers to rest and meditate during the subsequent lull in the battle. Unfortunately, the mistake had already been made, and fate conspired to separate him and Obi-Wan. It's the Duel of the Fates, after all.

17. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

Accidentally strangled by Jar Jar's tongue. Lol. Priceless.

I agree. I was only thirteen when I saw TPM for the first time, and I thought Maul was going to kill Qui-Gon when I first saw him. It was pretty much a dramatic thing. I liked the character a lot when I was a kid. It was pretty shocking for me to see Maul impale Qui-Gon with his lightsaber, though. I almost cried back then. But, yes. Qui-Gon was meant to be potential master and Obi-Wan was thrust into the role of master.

Too confident? I'd say that Maul controlled the battle and led Jinn to a place of his choosing. Plus, Qui-Gon was using Ataru, and consequently he had tired himself down by the time Maul got him. I think the novelization says that Qui-Gon knew that Maul was controlling the fight for the most part. I wouldn't say that he was too confident during that fight. Qui-Gon was wanting to know where Maul's agenda, and that perhaps was a distraction, at least for a moment.

18. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015
    Qui-Gon got caught off guard. He's not perfect. In fact, he managed to catch Maul offguard, as well. The same happened to Obi-Wan during his solo duel against Maul . . . only the latter gave him a chance to collect himself, while hanging from that ledge.

I think Obi-Wan chose to be Anakin's master out of emotional regard for Qui-Gon.

19. Xenor

Xenor Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 7, 2014
    What I mean is the scene here

2:31

when the laserdoor open Qui Gon goes berserk on Maul but instead attacking could he had not go backwards defending himself to get to Obi Wan?
    I think he was confident he could beat Maul without Obi-Wan thats why he went head-on

20. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    I don't know if that is overconfidence, going backwards through gates that would be open only momentarily would be tricky. Also Jedi and Sith tend not to be cowardly, it seems quite fitting that Qui-Gon would continue the fight regardless of whether he thought he could outdo Maul.
    I think he was just hoping Obi-Wan would catch up in time, he didn't mean for them to get separated after all.

Qui-Gon is probably my favourite character in the film, I think as far as Jedi go I would put him second only to Luke Skywalker. I agree that his death kind of marks the beginning of the end.

21. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012

As a swordsman you have to be aware of your surroundings and make sure you don't get pushed into a corner where your opponent might have an advantage. If Qui-Gon starts moving backwards he has to realize there is a real possibility that Obi Wan doesn't get to him in time (or Maul is able to Force Push Obi Wan back again) and Qui-Gon gets stuck between two of the laser fields, in close quarters with Maul. This would put Qui-Gon at a severe dis-advantage, as Maul is clearly the better fighter (as evidenced on Tatooine).

Qui-Gons only hope is to push out of the force fields into open space and hope to last long enough for Obi-Wan to catch up.

It wasn't over-confidence, it was tactical to try and get himself out of a corner that he was stuck in.

You need to separate yourself from what you know what happens in the movie (Obi Wan makes it to the last set of force fields) and what the characters know.

jakobitis89 and thejeditraitor like this.
  22. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    Qui-Gon was killed by one thing and one thing only. A better duelist.

deadly jp and thejeditraitor like this.
  23. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    He had two choices: go back and let Maul dictate how the fight goes, or go on the attack and try and keep Maul on the defense until Obi-Wan turns up. Maul is younger, quicker and probably stronger, as soon as he starts setting the pace and the direction, QG's toast and he knows it - and so does Maul. He had no choice but to try and take Maul by surprise with a second wind and keep him backpedalling and hope Obi got there in time to help. Unfortunately, it didn't work.

deadly jp and mikeximus like this.
  24. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    I don't get the original post. Qui Gon had no choice, it's not like he could call a time out till Obi Wan made his way back to him.

Qui Gon exclaimed that Maul was well trained after their first encounter on Tattooine. I don't think he believed he could defeat him alone, but it wasn't Obi Wan's assistance he was looking for; it was the force. He meditates during the battle. I think he'd rather take Maul on alone just incase he could defeat him before his padawan was endangered.

Regardless, he was ready to go and be one with the force. He always was.

deadly jp and thejeditraitor like this.
  25. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    You could say Qui-Gon was just living the way he lived; focused on what was in front of him, living in the moment. Obi-Wan was...elsewhere...elusive. He'll catch up when he catches up. That was enough for Qui-Gon.