main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Qui Gon is the greatest Jedi character so far.

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by sdj, May 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    I really like both the character Qui Gon Jinn and Neesons portrayal of him.

I like how he was sort of a rogue but also a very deep thinker. He certainly is more interesting than Luke, Mace but Obi Wan in AotC comes close.

I feel that he is the highlight of TPM and is what we the audience should think of when we think of a Jedi. A strong minded, doer of good that was a real force to be reckoned with. Also someone that would see a light in a certain little boy.

2. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    Obi-Wan will always be my personal favorite, but yes, Qui-Gon is definately an amazing character, played brilliantly by Liam Neeson. When I had thought of the Jedi in their prime before TPM came out, the character of Qui-Gon is exactly what I thought about.

The character of Qui-Gon Jinn is graceful, witty, charming, kind, caring, respectful, and intelligent, and that's all in the same scene. I never understood any negativity that people had against Qui-Gon's character. I could perhaps see dissapointment in his character taking time away from Obi-Wan, but none-the-less, I think he's one of the more brilliant story characters created.

One of my favorite scenes with Qui-Gon in TPM is when he is talking to Anakin on Coruscant before they leave to go back to Naboo. Qui-Gon/Neeson seemed very fatherly in this scene and spoke to Anakin like he truly cared about him.

3. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Yes, I agree.

The scene where he tells him what Midiclorians are. I have read that alot of people feel that his delivery of the lines when he is telling this to Anakin feels awkward and badly acted. I beg to differ. I love this scene, Neeson actually makes it sound interesting and mystic, I don't care what anyone says.

"They continully speak to use, telling us the will of the force. When you learn to quiet your mind, you will hear them speaking to you"

I love the way he delivers that line.

I also liked Qui-Gon because he came across as a very gentle person, very calm, but yet he had a charm to him. A very subtle way of playing the part. Its like he was quiet and reserved most of the time, but yet still had this incredible presence. Not too many actors could pull it off as good as he did.

I also find his chracater a very touching character because hence he was the one who discovered Darth Vader, and that my friends is a VERY special role to play. :D

4. Da_Joker

Da_Joker Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 16, 2003
    You gotta admit, Qui-Gon is one cool dude! But I don't like him quite as much as Obi-Wan. I especially like him in Ep. 2 because he's sooo cool in that one! [face_laugh]

5. Qui-Gon_4Ever

Qui-Gon_4Ever Jedi Youngling

Mar 31, 2003
    Yes, absolutely.

Qui-Gon is THE GREATEST!!!

And not just "so far," either!

He IS the best, and always will be!

And that scene on Coruscant, where he is kneeling down to talk to Anakin, is where he says
    THE most relevant line of all, which is,
    "Always Remember, Your Focus Determines Your Reality."

Words to live by. Not just StarWars.

6. CieSharp

CieSharp Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2002
    Some people bash Qui Gon for breaking the rules sometimes, but I believe that he was "beyond the rules". He was in such harmony with the Living Force, he would submit to destiny's wishes, even if it would mean cheating in a game of chance against a toydarian, or contemplating outright defiance of the Jedi council.

In any religion, there are the saints that follow the rule to the letter, and there are the saints that are in such close tune with God/The Universe, they didn't need to be so concerned with rules.

Qui Gon Jinn was definetely a Jedi saint, his death represented the waning of the golden age of the Jedi. Very sad, indeed.

7. sith99

sith99 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 20, 1999
    Two great characters died in TPM! IMO.
    (I would have loved to of seen more of them)

8. female_obi_wan

female_obi_wan Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 1, 2002
    I don't think he's a saint, and that's why I like him so much. :) I think he's one of the most human and complicated characters we've seen so far...

9. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    As a fan of his previous work, I was really happy to see Liam Neeson get a part in TPM. And I felt his portrayal of Qui-Gon Jinn gave a real sense of gravity and dignity to the Jedi, in the same way Alec Guiness managed this feat in ANH.

QGJ is definitely a highlight of TPM for me.

10. spring_warm

spring_warm Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 12, 2003
    I prefer liam to alec

11. senseless_apprentice

senseless_apprentice Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 18, 2002
    I dunno why every one like's Qui-Gon so much. I've never liked him and I don't think I ever will. I guess its because he really didn't try to rescue Shmi. I've heard so many excuses for him but there is no excuse for leaving some one in slavery.

Luke Skywalker would have saved her.....

12. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    Qui-Gon certainly is one of my favorite top Jedi characters next to only Yoda, and Luke Skywalker.

13. MikeSolo

MikeSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    Nope Skippy the Jedi Droid is the greatest Jeid character so far :)

14. DARTH_CHINA

DARTH_CHINA Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    He's the greatest Jedi. But only because of Liam Neeson.

Liam Neeson's acting was SUPERB (matching Ian McDiarmid's fantastic acting).

From the first moment I saw Qui-Gon I had some connection with the character.

Liam's delivering of the dialogue was the best yet of all the SW movies (Ian McD. not included). He's so much better than Alec Guiness, Ford, Carie, Mark ... well all the OT/PT cast together.

I really hope Qui-Gon will return in Eps.III. When I watch AOTC directly after TPM, I always have the feeling that AOTC really sucks, just because it doesn't have Liam in it. :( I want Liam back!! :_|

15. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    I agree.

Qui-Gon Jinn is almost what all Jedi attain to be, and tragically they fail.

16. Heavenly_Angel

Heavenly_Angel Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2003
    he was a great jedi, and liam neeson definitely did an awesome job playing this character.

17. V Wing Fighter Pilot

V Wing Fighter Pilot Jedi Master star 4

Mar 6, 1999
    Hes a badass Jedi. We love hinm for the same reason why we love Mace.

18. SaberGiiett7

SaberGiiett7 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    I think Qui-Gon-Jinn is a great character because he has depth and a fitting persona. He's a lone wolf who is yet very compassionate at the same time.

The more I think about it the more sympathy I feel for his action's. :)He was not out of line defying the Council which was doddering and complacent in the era prior to the Clone War.

Not to mention his deadly when wielding a lightsaber, I always enjoyed watching him chopping down Battle Droid's like saplings rather than Obi-Wan-Kenobi. :)

BTW, I would'ent be surprised if he does make a cameo in Epsiode 3 in the form of a spector as previously theorized in numerous Episode 3: Spoilers Allowed threads. ;)

<[-]> Saber

19. ShaakRider

ShaakRider Jedi Master star 2

Nov 14, 2002
    I love his character too :) He is exactly what Obi-Wan should be :p (imo. of course)

20. Frank Danger

Frank Danger Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 15, 1999
    Yeah, it sure is a good thing Lucas invented him after that whole Original Trilogy thing. I didn't really like the "Yoda trained Obi-Wan" business in ESB and RotJ anyway.

Maybe George can delete those parts in his Special Edition 2.0 ;)

21. Dark_Force

Dark_Force Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2002
    Qui Gon is perhaps my favorite character in all of star wars, he is wise and powerful.

Liam Neesan was the reason that Ep1 was such a great film and why Ep2 was not.

22. Darth_Deagol

Darth_Deagol Jedi Master star 2

Dec 22, 2002
    When I think of TPM I think Qui Gon.

I also was a fan of Neeson's previous work as an actor. He was also great as Jean Valjon in the 1997 remake of Les Miserables. No, not great. Superb.

23. Ackbarber_of_Seville

Ackbarber_of_Seville Jedi Youngling

May 27, 2002
    While I initially didn't like Qui-Gon, in retrospect, he now seems to be one of the few redeeming qualities of TPM. At the same time, I still agree with senseless_apprentice that there was really no excuse for him leaving Shmi in slavery. One would think that, once they were back into some money (like after they got back to Coruscant), he would at least send someone (with some money) for her.

I know about how jedi are supposed to shun attachment, and how other "jedi kids" are taken to Coruscant (away from their parents/families), but if this were his only reasoning for not going back and getting her, why did he initially try to get Watto to wager both of them?

24. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    I feel that he is the highlight of TPM and is what we the audience should think of when we think of a Jedi. A strong minded, doer of good that was a real force to be reckoned with. Also someone that would see a light in a certain little boy.

Absolutely.

Qui-Gon is my favorite character after Anakin. He is a great Jedi, in tune with the Living Force, and does not blindly follow some ancient Code just because it's there. He is a rogue, and IMHO, one of the few who is really in tune with the real mission of the Jedi--to bring justice and peace to the galaxy and all its beings. He may have broken a few rules, but it was all to follow what he believed the Force was telling him to do. Any idiot can blindly follow rules--it takes someone like Qui-Gon to examine why the rules were in place and to notice that they are not serving their purpose.

25. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Yuppers...I'd even be pleased if it'd somehow turned out that it was Yoda & Qui-Gon who survived the PT, not Yoda and Obi-Wan.

Qui-Gon's the Jedi Master equivalent of Elias from Platoon. A compassionate, thinking, but extremely lethal dude.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.