main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Qui Gon is the greatest Jedi character so far.

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by sdj, May 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rodan70

rodan70 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 1, 2002
    Qui Gon was one of my fav. Characters in SW. He was an awsome jedi. I likied him, a really cool jedi

2. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    I actually agree with sdj's title on this one.

When I watch TPM, Qui-Gon really represents what the Old Republic Jedi were like and how they want about doing their business. They have a certain methodology they stick to and certainly uphold ideals. But they are all individuals and accomplish all those things through different means.

He seems to use his wits and strength with the Force in perfect combination to be able to protect all living beings the best he can. He is like the combination of Superman and Batman in that he uses his physical and mental gifts simultaneously.

3. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    Qui rocks. But Luke is my fav.

IMO, Qui-Gon Jinn is one of the few great things about the PT. Unfortunately, I do wish Obi had more screen time with Anakin though in TPM.

4. Pepijn

Pepijn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 28, 2002
    Qui Gon is OK by me...

R2-D2 is absolutely my favorite, he is a mainstay in every movie.

Don't like Luke though.

5. jEdI_kEnObI80

jEdI_kEnObI80 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 24, 2003
    Bit late to answer Ackbarber and senseless_apprentice, but still...

Ackbarber and senseless_apprentice, who knows what Qui-Gon might have done? He died before he could really do anything else! And besides, the people use "real money" on Tatooine and the people in the Republic probably only uses Republic Credits. So Qui-Gon Jinn is free of any charges.

6. Darth_MacDaddy

Darth_MacDaddy Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    Qui Gonn is a class character who IMO played the perfect role in TPM - he had the right lines, the right amount of screen time and, as much as I like him, he died in the right manner at the right time for the story. He is one of the reasons I like TPM so much :D

7. Scott3eyez

Scott3eyez Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2001
    I'm surprised nobody's brought up the incident where he mind-tricks Boss Nass and steals a submarine off him.

Or mentioned where he tries to mind-trick Watto into accepting a curency which is worthless to him.

Or raised the bit where he uses the Force to cheat on the dice roll betting for Anakin's destiny.

Or questioned where the power cell he produces from stashed under his handy (for shoplifters that is) poncho came from.

Or noted where Yoda points out that Qui Gon asking for Anakin to be trained is his opinion, rather than the will of the Force.

Or thought about where he tells Obi Wan that the councils decision about whether Anakin is trained should be good enough for him, then starts throwing his toys out of his pram when Mace says that he won't be trained.

Of course, I'm not that surprised. After all, "your focus determines your reality"...

8-}

8. Darth_MacDaddy

Darth_MacDaddy Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    the incident where he mind-tricks Boss Nass and steals a submarine off him

Classic :D

9. SithHolocron

SithHolocron Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 9, 2003
    Qui-Gon's great, but he's not the best Jedi in my opinion. Plo Koon or Yarael Poof gets my vote.

10. TheCat

TheCat Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2001
    Qui-Gonn is a wonderful character. There's a depth to him that is inspiring both to his padawan and young Anakin.

And when he starts getting serious in battle, smacking Maul off the bridge and then forcing him back, there's a power and energy that is pretty awesome IMO.

11. haakun

haakun Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2002
    Qui Gon is the greatest Jedi character so far.

Agreed 100%, he is one of the most wisest jedi and the most compasionate SW character along with Luke and Padme.

12. TheCat

TheCat Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2001
    He's definitely what I think of when I think of the work "knight".

13. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Hmm, well while I agree that Qui-Gon's a different kind of Jedi than the straight-laced ones we tend to see a lot of (which is good, because those are the ones that are being manipulated), I'm not sure he's the *best* Jedi character we've seen. Call me partial because of my long time fandom from the OT, but I still think Obi-Wan's the best character period in the SW saga, because we see everything he goes through from TPM-ROTJ and he's also very well acted always. Qui-Gon is extremely well acted and interesting and integral to the saga, however I can't say he's my favourite because we just don't really get to delve into his character as much.

-sj loves kevin spacey

14. ValinFett21

ValinFett21 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 24, 2003
    He is definitely the best Jedi character so far. He symbolizes the greatness of the Jedi and also the Republic at the time of TPM. He is both talented and is a free thinker. Liam is overlooked in the entire saga because of the nature of the film he appeared in.

15. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    Qui-Gon's great, but I also have the greatest respect for Obi-Wan. He took on a job no one else wanted, for Qui-Gon's sake, and when Anakin turned to the Dark Side, he devoted himself to protecting Anakin's son, and training him as a Jedi, so that he could resurrect the order and defeat the Empire. Now that's devotion.

16. JediMasterKitFisto

JediMasterKitFisto Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 27, 2002
    Qui-Gon is not only the best Jedi but the best character in the whole Saga

17. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    I agree strongly.

Qui-Gon is the apitmay of what the Jedi attain to be, and as I have said many times before, fail tragically at the cost of the galaxy.

18. Charmisjess

Charmisjess Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 31, 2003
    HERE HERE! *claps*

I heartily agree that Qui-Gon is the best character this side of the galaxy.
    Of course, he has flaws, but I think that is what makes him such a believable character. He has a real quality about him. He also seems very sincere, very honest, someone who if you knew in real life you'd instinctively trust. Liam Neeson IMO really drove that home, he was warm, compassionate but powerful and still had that um... "jedi-ish" inscrutable thing going at the same time. Jedi and human at the same time.

And... he has really pretty eyes, doesn't he? :D

19. luvqui-gon_gurl

luvqui-gon_gurl Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 28, 2003
    Not just those eyes...the beard too. :D

Qui-Gon Jinn is my favorite Jedi because he's compassionate, wise and 8-}handsome. [face_love]

20. Charmisjess

Charmisjess Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 31, 2003
    mmm...beard is nice too. ;) Very good point.

21. JediMasterKitFisto

JediMasterKitFisto Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 27, 2002
    not to mention he is also the first person to talk in the whole saga :eek: :cool:

22. MECHA-SUPERIOR

MECHA-SUPERIOR Jedi Master star 3

Jul 3, 2001
    Qui-Gon dominates TPM like no individual SW character has ever dominated an episode before. Luke, Han, Leia, Lando, Obi-Wan, all had to split time, as neither of them had the entire weight of their respective narratives placed on their shoulders. Qui-Gon is the all consuming, driving force of TPM's narrative because he was designed to be. No other character comes close to his importance in that film as he has his fingers in every aspect of the story, and for a SW character, an amazing amount of screentime to boot. Even if he ends up being in only one SW flick (doubtful ;) ), it's a big role.

My thoughts on Qui-Gon's role in the saga?

I think he's a fascinating example of an Old Republic Jedi, and feel his influence on Obi-Wan was a very positive attribute for that character. The change in AOTC's Obi-Wan from TPM was extremely pronounced, as there's definitely a streak of Qui-Gon within him. And while *still* a goody-goody of the old Republic, Obi-Wan has an edge from his former master, which probably contributes to him surviving the purge.

What makes Qui-Gon so interesting is that while definitely not an evil character, he clearly doesn't follow all the rules of the established Jedi order. The Old Republic Jedi, it is shown time and time again, is based around the banishment of emotion and devotion to the benefit of the logic which can come from this. When the mind and spirit is clear of the cacophony of emotion, then the force can be felt and used by Jedi. The problem with this philosophy, and we see it play out in the prequels, is that in the universe the Jedi are sworn to protect, everyone else is operating off of their emotions. They are motivated by greed or anger or love or hate, and the Jedi order has been so far removed from these aspects of the soul for so long that they cannot conceive things that are obvious and right in front of their face. This makes them both arrogant and ignorant.

In many cases, Qui-Gon's willingness to break the *code* because of his belief in following the will of the living force, is remarkable. Just the way he chose to manipulate a character's greed (Watto), to further his ambition of bringing the chosen one to fruition, is an example of Qui-Gon more aware and cognizant of the realities of the galaxy. The Jedi establishment has lost touch with the nitty-gritty, while he has not. We clearly have an example of a maverick within that tight wad system. All mavericks are controversial because they go against the establishment---the status quo. So I have no problem with anyone questioning the ethical nature of Qui-Gon.

Personally, I prefer Qui-Gon's bending of the rules over the tight wad, procedural method of the mainstream Jedi of the Old Republic. Qui-Gon just screams humanity to me, not like the automatons, the rest of the Jedi order implies. Qui-Gon is spirtually more tied to the emotions making up the living world, so I'm not surprised by his manipulation of a base emotion like greed. Especially when something as important as the chosen one, is hanging in the balance. And you know, Qui-Gon's act did bring balance to the force. It just didn't happen till the redemption of the Chosen one...........

By his son.

23. Scott3eyez

Aug 1, 2001
    >>>Just the way he chose to manipulate a character's greed (Watto), to further his ambition of bringing the chosen one to fruition, is an example of Qui-Gon more aware and cognizant of the realities of the galaxy.

OK... but exactly how is that different from Palpatine maipulating the greed of the Trade Federation to further his ambition of becoming Supreme Chancellor?

>>>Old Republic Jedi, it is shown time and time again, is based around the banishment of emotion and devotion to the benefit of the logic which can come from this.

:confused:

I don't remember being shown that once, let alone "time and time again."

>>>you know, Qui-Gon's act did bring balance to the force.

Did it? He was right that Anakin was the chosen one, but I've yet to see anything indicating that he was right to train him- everything seems to me to be indicating that Yoda was right, and Qui Gon was very, very wrong.

24. MECHA-SUPERIOR

MECHA-SUPERIOR Jedi Master star 3

Jul 3, 2001
    OK... but exactly how is that different from Palpatine maipulating the greed of the Trade Federation to further his ambition of becoming Supreme Chancellor?

Wonderful parallel, Scott! Both Qui-Gon and Sidious get things done in the galaxy, unlike the Jedi, who unknowingly play their role as puppets of evil incarnate and corrupt politicians. They so fear the path to the dark side, they've lost some of their humanity and wisdom, due to their guarding against base emotions. They've lost touch with the inner workings of the galaxy and how it actually operates. It took a "rebel" Jedi to shake things up, and actually create the impetus for the entire saga.

Qui-Gon and Sidious. Light side and dark side.

Symmetry.

Although there's even stronger symmetry in AOTC, as Dooku is like the horror version of Qui-Gon. Both "rebels" to the order, Dooku being the malignant one. The grace stroke is they are both precursors to Anakin, the ultimate REBEL JEDI of the saga.

I don't remember being shown that once, let alone "time and time again."

Dude, have you seen the prequels? ;) Do you understand the concept of what it meant to be a Jedi of the Old Republic, who followed the CODE? What that entailed?

Did it? He was right that Anakin was the chosen one, but I've yet to see anything indicating that he was right to train him- everything seems to me to be indicating that Yoda was right, and Qui Gon was very, very wrong.

Destiny is an important aspect in myth. Never forget that when analyzing the saga. Regardless of how it got there, the chosen one did bring balance to the force. You can't deny that Qui-Gon was correct about this fact, regardless of whether he understood the logistics of what bringing balance to the force was all about.

25. Scott3eyez

Aug 1, 2001
    >>>Wonderful parallel, Scott!

Ah, you made it easy!
    :D

>>>It took a "rebel" Jedi to shake things up, and actually create the impetus for the entire saga.

Qui-Gon and Sidious. Light side and dark side.

Symmetry.

I don't see what is different between Palpatine and Qui Gon manipulating other peoples greed in order to achieve their own personal goals though. What is it that makes one "light" and the other dark, when both lead directly to the wiping out of the Jedi and the rise of the Empire.

(Is it simply that Qui Gon only did it by accident, thanks to his failure to think of anything further than the "here and now", and see the consequences of his actions? Does that somehow make it "light side"?)

Everything that apparently led to Anakin's fall to the Dark Side was already in place when Qui Gon decided to manipulate the Force to manipulate a dice roll to manipulate Anakin's destiny- he had alrady formed a strong bond with his mother (as the Jedi Council saw), and he had already got his crush on Padme (who he didn't see again until AOTC, and look what happened there.)

The Council saw the danger, but Qui Gon didn't...

>>>Dude, have you seen the prequels? ;) Do you understand the concept of what it meant to be a Jedi of the Old Republic, who followed the CODE? What that entailed?

Yeah, once or twice. 8-}

I just dont see anything about "banishment of emotion" in with all the "be mindful of your feelings", "trust your feelings" and so on that the Force is all about.

I mean, Qui Gon is clearly something of a maverick, but that doesn't necessarily mean that when he says "feel don't think", the Jedi Council are saying "think, don't feel."

>>>Destiny is an important aspect in myth. Never forget that when analyzing the saga. Regardless of how it got there, the chosen one did bring balance to the force. You can't deny that Qui-Gon was correct about this fact, regardless of whether he understood the logistics of what bringing balance to the force was all about.

Well, according to Lucas, "bringing balance" was all about ridding the galaxy of the Sith, and of the Dark Side which was what was destroying the balance in the first place.

Qui Gon was clearly correct that Anakin was the Chosen One, but I think he was wrong in thinking that he should have been trained- and I've yet to see a single piece of evidence that suggests that he wasn't. Every concern that the Council expressed came to pass.

If he was conceioved by the Force to "bring balance", then why was he conceived somewhere he wouldn't be trained by the Jedi? And why did Qui Gon have to interfere with his destiny? Was he correcting the Force's mistake?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.