main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Qui-Gon Jinn and the Sequel Trilogy

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Echo Base, Feb 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    wtf are you guys talking about? watch the shows.

2. SgtTimBob

SgtTimBob Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 5, 2014
    I get the feeling Luke might end up as a Force ghost at some point in the ST. So there may be some reference to Qui-Gon Binge at some point, even if it's subtle.

ForgottennJedi1986 likes this.
  3. Tatooine Twilight Twins

Tatooine Twilight Twins Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Didn't we already see his force ghost in "Dark Knight Rises"? Ooooops. Wrong franchise. :)

4. Dak Oolron

Dak Oolron Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 24, 2014
    Unfortunately, that's the situation the PT put us in. Imagine how well-received the PT would have been if the writing/casting/acting had made Anakin into a character we sympathized with and liked? [face_idea]

IF Anakin's character had been handled better in the PT, fans (including myself) would've welcomed Christensen's replacement of Shaw at the end of RotJ, not loathed it. It is certainly a strange position for the most important character (at this point in the saga) to be in, when you think about it.

5. SgtTimBob

SgtTimBob Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 5, 2014
    As someone who generally didn't like the prequels, I didn't have a problem with Christensen's performance. I think he's a good actor and he did the best with what he was given. In the end the character wasn't written too well and the dialogue was often sloppy or misjudged, add on to this the fact that by the time of episode two and three there were more invisible sets than ever before (one thing that actually makes TPM feel more tangible, aside from the use of actual film, is that there are noticeably more practical environments, but I digress). Hayden did what he could.

With that said, his appearance at the end of ROTJ made no sense to me. Ben retains his appearance from the moment of his death, as does Yoda. I know the argument is meant to be that, Anakin appears as he was before he became Vader; but he'd redeemed himself before his death, meaning that he died a good man who'd fulfilled his destiny. Therefore it makes more sense to have Shaw in there, representing Anakin redeemed.

Back on the topic of Qui-Gonn, I wonder if they'd actually be able to get Liam Neeson to do more voice work, let alone appear. After TPM I seem to remember him trashing the film and saying he wanted nothing more to do with the series, as there was too much CGI or something, correct me if I'm wrong. Didn't Lucas try to get him as a ghost in Episode II at one point?

6. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    At most a cameo in a Jedi ghost round table scene where he may have one line. But with no mention, there's no reason to think it's likely.

Ewan McGregor is much more likely and I think that's VERY likely but will be a possible surprise and not filmed until next spring.

whostheBossk and Dak Oolron like this.
  7. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    I disagree. I watched the movie Non-Stop last night. It was hilarious!!

8. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    If those Plagueis theories prove to be correct, Qui-Gon would be an interesting parallel to Plagueis.

Darkslayer and Dak Oolron like this.
  9. Victorian Time Traveler

Victorian Time Traveler Jedi Master star 3

Nov 20, 2012
    Qui-Gon was kind of cool. Though his story should have ended in TCW. And his character should have been combined with Obi-Wan's way back in TPM.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  10. Echo Base

Echo Base Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2013
    If this site is correct, in the original draft, the roles were combined:

http://secrethistoryofstarwars.com/thebeginning.html

I actually think that draft is superior to the final version in most respects.

11. TheFoot

TheFoot Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 5, 2011
    I LOVED Qui-Gon, my favorite Jedi of the PT. That being said, I do agree that giving him a reason to be around might be difficult. But I would MUCH rather see him than Yoda to show up. We have seen quite enough of Yoda at this point. Same goes for Obi-Wan. Anakin? I dunno....I have issues with young Hayden force ghost as it is, so bringing him in with Luke in the new film with actual lines and stuff.....it would be silly I think.

So of those 4 guys, even though Qui-Gon has the LEAST relevance, Neeson showing up would be pretty cool.

Overall though, I still maintain my original opinion from before that no ghosts should appear at all anyway, but if one has to, Neeson would do a grand job.

12. gambit420

gambit420 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 14, 2003

OMG I've never thought about this. The possibility frightens me.

Sarge and Dak Oolron like this.
  13. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    Even thou I hate the change of Ghost Anakin to Hayden and I didn't liked Hayden in the PT, part of me is curious to see Hayden as Anakin being directed by someone who knows how to direct his actors like JJ or Rian (that gave the best Bruce Willis performance of the last decade in Looper).

14. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    I'd rather have Tamuera Morrison's head overimposed on cgi troopers on a musical number than have Hayden Christensen come back as Anakin Skywalker.

15. ThatWanFromStewjon

ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 8, 2012

No Liam Neeson has never bad mouthed the movies.

He has several times spoken of how difficult it was to work with green screen, and characters who weren't even there.

He was never meant to return as a Force Ghost - not fully - just his voice which does appear in Episode II and he did record dialogue that was to feature in RotS as he conversed with Yoda, just prior to Yoda revealing to Obi-Wan than Qui-Gon had "returned" but it was never used.

Neeson also voices Qui-Gon in two TCW story arcs - once as kind of hallucination that Obi-Wan experiences and later as the disembodied voice to guide Yoda which explains why he was not able to become a full Force Ghost

Dak Oolron and SgtTimBob like this.
  16. ThatWanFromStewjon

ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 8, 2012

No he didn't - he never got to complete it because he died

thejeditraitor likes this.
  17. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    he was already incorporeal when he learned it. becoming completely one with the force means you can bring a physical aspect of yourself back. if you're already dead that doesn't work. you are just a voice.

18. Dak Oolron

Dak Oolron Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 24, 2014
    Is this site legit?

EDIT: I guess the site tries to explain that here.

19. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    i think the guy used to be on here too.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  20. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    great read. i'm actually happy with what we got. i'm glad qui-gon got turned into a full blown character and that they went younger with obi-wan. qui-gon is one of my favorite characters of the whole saga. we barely got enough of him in my opinion.

Dak Oolron and darklordoftech like this.
  21. Kraven Head

Kraven Head Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    As much as I like the character... it would just be a bad idea.

QGJ doesnt have a personal relationship w/ any of the EPVII characters so there is no need/reason for him to appear.

The only way I see him appearing is with the rest of the previous Jedi Council as ghosts in the temple.

Cheers, K

22. Kraven Head

Nov 5, 2012
    If you're going to have QGJ in the movie...how about Sifo Dyas? Dude's got some explaining to do...
    "Look man it wasnt me!"

23. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i'd like to see Qui-Gonn.
    as for Anakin appearing...for all those that didn't like Sebastian Shaw taken out of ROTJ,,,haha it kind of works for the best if that character appears in a sequel.

darklordoftech likes this.
  24. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Sifo-Dyas isn't a major character. Palpatine easily could have gotten someone else to order the clones.

25. Kraven Head

Nov 5, 2012
    That was my point to begin with. As much as the QGJ character was cool, there's no need for him in the ST IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.