main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Qui-Gon Jinn Challenge Thread - Note on first post

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jinn is MINE, May 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Well, this one is a bit dark....I'll have to do something silly after this...

Title: A Padawan You Already Have
    Author: ardavenport (aka Anne Davenport)
    Timeframe: Episode 1, AU
    Genre: Evil Qui-Gon Challenge
    Characters: Qui-Gon Jinn, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Maul
    Keywords Qui-Gon Jinn, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Darth Maul, Naboo, Challenge
    Summary: Qui-Gon chooses a new padawan
    Disclaimer: All characters belong to George and Lucasfilm; I?m just playing in their sandbox

The Zabrak Sith was not tiring.

Almost too late, Qui-Gon Jinn saw what the Sith was doing. The Jedi leaped backward, just before the laser doors closed again and Obi-Wan caught up with him. The Sith snarled, leaping after him, but his red lightsaber blade bounced off the barrier with a wicked snap. Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan deactivated their lightsabers, but the Sith didn?t bother. The being in black paced back and forth. He was nearly all black and red. Black tunics; blood-red skin, black tattoos and horns. His unnaturally yellow eyes glared at his prey, denied him by the energy field that separated them.

The Sith was strong with the Force. The dark side of the Force. Qui-Gon?s fleeting confrontation on Tatooine was merely a taste of this colossal battle. They could lose; they could both be killed. Qui-Gon closed his eyes and drew the strength and the light of the Force to him. He needed to be strong; he needed to be more powerful than he had ever been. They could not fail.

Next to him, Obi-Wan did the same, though his Padawan still lacked discipline, his emotions barely in check. Both Jedi were very strong with the Force.

Yet, it did not feel like it was enough.

Qui-Gon had been driving the Sith champion back, always close, but not achieving the killing blow. Now he knew that the Sith had been baiting him, trying to separate the two Jedi, to make them easier to kill.

Master and Padawan activated their lightsabers at the same time, fiery green and blue. The laser doors opened. They attacked together, yet again trying to force the Sith into leaving one side open, but he anticipated them, again, defended both sides and attacked.

A black, booted heel connected with Qui-Gon?s jaw. He absorbed the blow through the Force, but was still thrown back onto the floor of the core chamber. He rolled and returned to his feet.

Obi-Wan attacked, with blow after blow forcing the Sith back, but the Zabrak parried and blocked. A strong blow from Obi-Wan?s saber separated the Sith?s double-bladed staff with a resounding boom, finally depriving the Sith of the double bladed weapon.

Qui-Gon ran and leapt high in the air, over Obi-Wan and their momentarily unarmed opponent. He landed, crouched, spun and attacked.

Again, the Sith spun, scooping up one, red, blazing saber from the two halves of the staff. He blocked both of them with vicious slashes. Qui-Gon sensed their momentary advantage slipping away like water. Fighting next to him, he knew that his Padawan sensed it as well.

Together, they drove the Sith back toward the pit of the energy core of the Palace. It was a vain hope that the Sith would simply fall in. He spun, a whirl of black that landed a hard kick to Obi-Wan?s chest. He went flying with a grunt, but managed not to fall into the pit himself.

Qui-Gon kept up the attack with blow after blow, all the might of the Force drove each one, and yet it was like hitting the laser doors. Nothing seemed to work. It was like striking out at a mirror.

The Sith was not tiring. He was enjoying himself.

He spun away from them and the Jedi now attacked together, side by side.

Then Obi-Wan slashed down with his blue saber and the Sith neatly sidestepped it. Obi-Wan spun his saber up for another blow, but he was still leaning forward, vulnerable.

Qui-Gon took a step to the side, instead of blocking the Sith?s blade. When the Sith?s saber was halfway though its swing, Qui-Gon slashed high, his bright green saber severing the Sith?s head from his body.

It f

2. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    Wow.

That's canon, isn't it? I know it's canon. It rings so true, so real, that's how it possibly happened ...:_| Qui-Gon! How could you???

You sure this isn't an evil Qui-Gon response? [face_devil]

Wonderfully done. I had to go and re-read those parts two or three times to let it sink in. :eek:

=D=

3. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    Oh, yes. It is canon....except for the part where Qui-Gon kills Darth Maul instead of Darth Maul killing Qui-Gon. It's just a little bit different. [face_mischief]

And it is most definitely part of the Evil Qui-Gon Challenge. [face_devil] It's just a little extrapolation on what would happen if Qui-Gon's ambition to train Anakin went just a little bit too far. Thanks for reading!

4. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    NOOOOOOO! :_|

Evil, diabolical, wicked and malevolent. How could you? :_| :p Wow that was packed with suspense, ardavenport. I started getting a bad feeling towards the end--now I see it was for a good reason. It was creepy in that it was realistic, eerily close to how the Jedi are supposed to feel about death and ultimate goals and things like that. But for Qui-Gon to sacrifice Obi-Wan not only to win the battle, but to secure Anakin as his apprentice, gave me shivers that even permeated my viewing of Spongebob. :eek: It still felt like he was Qui-Gon, just a version more extreme in his need to pursue the prophecy of the Chosen One. Excellent. I love reading your stuff. :)

5. Ara-gon

Ara-gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 31, 2005
    PA--Awakening

Oh, but you captured a mother's heart and did it with gorgeous phrases and descriptions. I loved the sweet awkwardness between them and the lovely resolution. ::makes a mental note to read "Elysia"::

Kes--Out of Bed

Qui was fortunate to have such a caring and understanding creche assistant.

Ardavenport
    --A Padawan You Already Have

OH! But Qui didn't . . .

And Obi . . . !

He did!

Glughhah . . .

Ublughu . . .

Dagnabbit, woman, but that is wicked! Yes, something light would be nice now.

Congratulations on your knighting! Well deserved, it is. =D=

6. Ara-gon

Ara-gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 31, 2005
    Title: The Trouble with Qui-Gon
    Challenge: Childhood Qui
    Characters: Qui-Gon Jinn, Yan Dooku, OC
    Keywords Qui-Gon Jinn, Yan Dooku, Living Force
    Summary: Dooku finds that having a padawan strong in the Living Force can be more trouble than he ever imagined.
    Disclaimer: Disclaimer: I know the Star Wars world isn?t mine, but I?m immensely grateful to Lucas for sharing it with us. No money has or will exchange hands over this piece of fluff.
    Personal word: Concrit welcome if it's with a sincere desire to help me become a better writer. PMs preferred.

The Trouble with Qui-Gon

Jerem Kolath stalked into the lounge. It was the third lounge he had visited in his search, and he was starting to grow testy. Scanning the crowd, he finally located his quarry?or at least his quarry?s footwear. Sticking out of the alcove in the far corner of the lounge were Yan Dooku?s boots.

?And he better be in them . . .? Jerem muttered as he closed the distance. This time, he was not disappointed.

Skipping polite preambles, he addressed the issue that had sent him in search of his old friend, ?Good padawans are always a challenge, Yan.?

Dooku did not flinch from his unfocused stare. ?Not like this.?

?Is he disobedient??

?Never.?

?Undisciplined??

?Hardly.?

?Unfocused??

?No.?

?Dull??

That question brought a dangerous glint to Dooku?s eyes as he finally looked at the Jedi standing before him.

Kolath raised a hand to indicate his desire to placate. He had known the jibe would rouse Dooku. ?What then? What disagreement is it that has left your padawan moping sadly around the gardens??

Dooku leaned forward, finally involved in the conversation. ?What did he say to you, Jerem??

?Nothing but what would pass the lips of a respectful and obedient padawan, Yan.? Jerem pulled a stool closer and sat down. ?But it doesn?t take a mind healer to tell that the boy knows you?re upset with him. What is the trouble??

Dooku ran his fingers through his black hair, a gesture equally elegant and frustrated.
    ?The trouble with Qui-Gon . . .? Dooku stopped, realizing that his words were more heated than was seemly for a Jedi. He started anew, ?It?s his connection to the Living Force, Jerem. It causes?er, complications.?

Jerem took notice. His friend was never one to stumble over words. Yan Dooku was nothing if not precise.

?What do you mean by ?complications???

Dooku sighed. ?The boy is so enamored by the Living Force that he feels compelled to assist every helpless creature we encounter. I allow him to provide aid when we encounter needy people and when doing so will not interfere with our missions. A Jedi is?after all?to be a model of compassion and mercy. It is his affinity for animals that is straining our relationship. Large eyes and fur blind him to claws and teeth. He wants to provide a home for every homeless mammal he finds.?

?Teach him discernment, Yan. Or how to use his resources for the greatest gain. Both are worthy lessons for a Jedi.?

Dooku?s words were calm and stately, as if he were discussing matters of state: ?Jerem, he wanted to bring a bantha calf back to the Temple.?

?Oh.?

?And a sand panther cub.?

?Um.?

?On the same two-person transport.?

?Ah.? Jerem ran his hand over the stubble on his chin. Then he shrugged. ?Indulge him.?

Dooku?s eyebrows slowly rose. ?Indulge him with a sand panther cub, Jerem??

?No, of course not. Indulge him in something small, furry, and harmless. Let him have a pet. He?ll feel as if he?s doing something helpful by providing a home and caring for a creature. And, every time he wants to bring home another pet, you can deny it on the basis that he?s already caring for one.?

?And you think that will help??

?Will it hurt to try??

Kolath opened the door and stepped into the quarters that Dooku and Qui-Gon shared. From his room, Dooku snapped, ?Will you never learn proper manners, Jerem??

Grinning, Jerem replied, ?No, and I?ve decided I?m too old

7. hyperspace_police

hyperspace_police Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2005
    A tribble.

I guess they like Wookies better than Klingons.

It's going to be really funny when Dooku finds out how they multiply...

Great little story.

=D=

8. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    A tribble! Oy. Now Dooku's in for more trouble. [face_laugh] That was a lovely little piece. Loved the conversation between Kolath and Dooku and Qui-Gon's 'complications'. =D=

9. ctt

ctt Jedi Knight

Mar 11, 2006
    (On Ardavenport's A Padawan you already have)

Oh my...

At first, I really had to stop and read it again. Then read back again and again. That was stroke of genius! The way you didn't describe or directly say Obi-wan was killed until the very end. And all just by Qui-Gon obliquely admitting he failed to block the blow so he could kill the Sith, and more subtly, so he could train Anakin. Brilliant!

10. ctt

ctt Jedi Knight

Mar 11, 2006
    (on Ara-Gon's The Trouble with Qui-Gon)

For a minute there, I didn't get this. Until I realize "tribble = star trek = fast, multiplying furry creatures". Pity Dooku when he finds out how they're going to be overrun by furballs.

11. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    All these stories are truly marvelous! Finally getting caught up on all of them.

LuvEwan

Qui-Gon stretched, turning on his side and resting his head on folded hands. ?A Huttese translator.?

"Oh. Then I?d prefer to stay twenty-four, if you don?t mind.?

Qui-Gon felt the sharp pang in his chest. He lived in it for a moment, the anguish far more bitter than sweet, and then breathed it out. ?I wouldn?t mind, Obi-Wan,? he murmured, knowing his voice was too low to be heard.

Awwwww that was so sweet and mushy. [face_love]

Princess_A
    She blinked and breathed faster, surprised and amazed at the knowledge of another's presence so strongly. Then, she turned towards him, a question in her eyes.

"Mama...?" he said slowly, as though twisting his tongue to form an unusual word. To him, it probably was. His grip on her fingers tightened.

Awwwwwwwwwwwww break my heart why don't you! :_|Poor Qui and Lenora -- tis truly beautiful *sniff*

ardavenport I gasped aloud at the ending! :eek: If I didn't know better I would think you were one of those who didn't like Qui-Gon :p

Ara-gon [face_laugh] [face_laugh] Poor Dooku with a tribble in his apartment! :D That was great! Well done!

12. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    I'm sorry I've been so lax about replying.

ardavenport - Jinn let Obi-Wan be killed. Bad Qui-Gon! But I guess that was the point. Great action there but I really didn't expect the ending. :eek: Quite a surprise I must say. Great job with it!

Ara-gon - A Tribble!!! [face_laugh] [face_laugh] Boy, Dooku doesn't know yet just how deeply in trouble he is. Great job. Loved the whole thing but especially the ending. Adorable.

I've also updated the challenge indexes and the master challenge index in Resource.

13. Jinn is MINE

Jinn is MINE Jedi Knight star 3

May 12, 2005
    First Padawan challenge - Qui-Gon, Knight and Jedi of the Living Force, is about to do something scary - pick his first Padawan. This can be AU or canon so you can mess with it as much as you like. Will his first be Obi-Wan or Xanatos or even Mace Windu? Will it be an OC? How about a very young Yoda? :eek: You get to choose. Starts July 5.

As always, you can post on this thread or on your own thread. But if it's on your own thread, please let me (dianethx) know so that I can keep the indexes updated. Thanks.

14. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    Well, I have something for the First Padawan challenge, but I got inspired about the Rogue challenge and posted it here.

15. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Author: Layren
    Title: First
    Summary: Qui-Gon's first apprentice, Lay'ren, does her birthday meditation.
    Characters: Qui-Gon, OC's.
    Author's Note: I decided to combine this challenge with the drabble challenge. I hope no one minds me posting it here also. The rest of my drabbles are in their own thread. The character originally was a very terrible Mary Sue, but I've dusted her off and am giving her a fresh new outlook even though I'm keeping her name, Lay'ren Tholan. This is her first appearance here on these boards, and I originally took my username from her rather than the other way around ;)

First

I am Master Jinn's first apprentice. I've been an apprentice for four years. Today I am doing birthday meditation. I remember when Master Qui-Gon came to the crèche that day to watch initiates spar. I had never dreamed in my mind he would choose me.

I remember Myrah encouraging me. She told me Master Qui-Gon would pick me. She's only eight, two years younger than I am and she is Master Josel's padawan. She was chosen at four. I was picked almost at the same time she was. I was six.

We remember the past to learn lessons from it.

16. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    Awww see. Lay'ren is a grown-up ten. :)

Yes, you should definitely post it here as well. Drabble are small and too easy to miss.

17. Jinn is MINE

Jinn is MINE Jedi Knight star 3

May 12, 2005
    First Padawan challenge - Qui-Gon, Knight and Jedi of the Living Force, is about to do something scary - pick his first Padawan. This can be AU or canon so you can mess with it as much as you like. Will his first be Obi-Wan or Xanatos or even Mace Windu? Will it be an OC? How about a very young Yoda? You get to choose.

Title: First Flight
    Author: ardavenport (aka Anne Davenport)
    Timeframe: pre-Episode I, pre-TPM
    Characters: Qui-Gon Jinn, Jedi OCs
    Genre: Qui-Gon Jinn first Padawan challenge, drama
    Keywords: Qui-Gon Jinn, Jedi, padawan, younglings
    Summary: Qui-Gon finds his first Padawan

Title: First
    Author: Layren
    Timeframe: pre-Episode I, pre-TPM
    Characters: Qui-Gon Jinn, Lay'ren
    Genre: drabble
    Keywords: Qui-Gon Jinn, Jedi, padawan, younglings
    Summary: Qui-Gon's first apprentice, Lay'ren, does her birthday meditation.
    Author's Note: I decided to combine this challenge with the drabble challenge. I hope no one minds me posting it here also. The rest of my drabbles are in their own thread. The character originally was a very terrible Mary Sue, but I've dusted her off and am giving her a fresh new outlook even though I'm keeping her name, Lay'ren Tholan. This is her first appearance here on these boards, and I originally took my username from her rather than the other way around

Title: Qui-Gon's Hair-raising Adventure.
    Author: hyperspace_police
    Timeframe: pre-TPM
    Characters: Qui-Gon, Yorrie (His Wookiee Padawan), Yoda, baby Obi
    Genre: humor
    Keywords: Qui-Gon Jinn, Jedi, padawan, Wookiee
    Summary: Qui-Gon takes on his first apprentice and discovers that he
    has more than he bargained for. Their relationship becomes strained
    when her shedding causes their quarters to flood...causing Qui-Gon to
    need a plumber.

=========================================================

Second-to-last message note (24-Feb-2007):

Because posting stories on challenge threads become less common than posting stories in separate threads, this topic has been allowed to lapse.

The stories in this topic are very well indexed in the first post of this thread. They are also indexed in the Fan Fiction Master Challenge Index.

Links to Qui-Gon fics in all the fan fic fora are in The Qui-Gon Story Jinn Index.

And current Qui-Gon discussion is listed in From Before to Beyond - The Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan Discussion Thread.

=========================================================

18. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.