Before Qui-Gon Jinn Challenge Thread - Note on first post

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jinn is MINE, May 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Kynstar Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I was soooo entranced on this! So Qui too!

You killed my precious! :eek: Oh poor thing... :_|

But deliciously done!! [face_mischief] Great job!! Hehehe I can so see Palps having Qui do that too! Take out Dooku ;) definitely to show whether or not he was worthy ;) let alone to prove a point.

Awesome job! But...but... :_| You killed Dooku!

edit: Oh I got so caught up on his death *sniff* that I forgot about poor Obi :( he was so hoping that it was a mission from the Temple - undercover maybe. Poor Obi :( I soooo feel for him in this :( he wasn't so sure there whether or not Qui was gonna kill him next.

Totally great! LOOOVED it!
  2. darshaassant Jedi Knight

star 2
    Oh my, that made me cry.
  3. raisedbywolves Jedi Knight

star 2
    I also had tears in my eyes. Amazing. As far as I'm concerned it deserves to become a full-scale epic.

*shakes self*

OK, details:

The house. As someone who can't write settings well, I was amazed at how it became a full scale character. The opulence and decay... classic. And Dooku bequeaths them his twisted legacy plus the perfect prison to keep all that massive angst in.

Loved Obi-Wan's confusion and how lost he felt without the Jedi Order. The way he just shut down seemed very fitting to me. The shadows obscuring everything in that infernal house, ahh. And him following Qui, who turns out to be Dooku, absolutely made my hair stand on end even if it is super-long and in a bun right now. It's as if they are becoming the same person. *gets the cold shivers*

Those busts of Qui and Obi, perfect - Dooku had them literally cast in his own image, just as he's trying to mold their minds to fit his. Obi's reaction and Qui's lack of one were also spot on.

If it was a movie, it would be directed by Hitchcock and scored by Howard Shore.

Um... sequel?? Please?? [face_praying]
  4. Shadowolf Jedi Knight

star 2
    Finally took Layren's advice and checked out the challenge stories...y'all all get a collective round of applause! =D=

Raisedbywolves ? Holy cow?that fits so well with cannon and just makes Anakin?s seperation from Shmi twice as tragic! And Qui?s got no idea just how far down the DarkPath he?s gone?wow.

Ithesock ? Creepy! So darned Creepy! Obi-Wan really wasn?t hearing what Qui was saying, if he had I think he would have jumped up from that newly tilled grass and given in to the Heebie-Jeebies!

Dianethx ? Dude, you did that really well! Vampire!Qui?wooo, such thoughts! But poor Obi! Somehow I don?t think he?s quite as intrigued by this side of his beloved Master.

VaderLVR64 ? Man, I actually feel sorry for Xanatos here! Qui-Gon?s been planning this for a loooong time you can tell and the way he went about it, all calm and cool was just chilling!

Kynstar ? Eeep! No more Coruscant? Qui let Obi & Anakin die? Man talk about twisted! Boy I would love to know what the fallout from that was!

Layren ? Master, that was such a creepy twist to Cannon! (I?m using the word creepy a lot today?but it fits!) Makes Palps seem even more like an evil genius!

vader_incarnate ? Oh! If only he?d been able to tell them why he?d gone after the Chancelor! Using the 2nd person POV works so well here, it fits wonderfully.

-The-Negotiator- - OK this made my hair stand up on end! I?m with the others, this really deserves a sequel. Poor Obi-Wan! And Qui-Gon?man, he makes a good Sith!
  5. -The-Negotiator- Jedi Padawan

dianethx Sock of someone who loves/adores Obi-Wan Doesn't really narrow it down, does it? :D Thank you so much for the feedback. As I was writing it, I was kinda questioning if it was really an evil Qui-Gon fic, because his reasoning isn't totally wicked...but then he offed Dooku, and his stance became a little more evident. :p

Healer_Leona How will he change the universe? Oh, that's his secret. [face_shhh] Batman was quite helpful in imagining this evil Qui-Gon, though. :)

Kynstar I apologize for killing your main squeeze. But it was humane, wasn't it? No decapitations? :D Thank you for reading. [:D]

darshaassant Sorry. :(

raisedbywolves :eek: Thank you for the lovely review. I don't do epics, but little sequels are never out of the question, if I ever get inspired. ;)

Shadowolf man, he makes a good Sith Well, there's a lot of material to work with there (refer to TPM). :p Thanks for reading!
  6. Jinn is MINE Force Ghost

star 3
    Okay, next challenge since the evil Qui-Gon seems to have run out of steam. I'm still hoping someone writes a humorous evil Qui-Gon. :D

Qui/Obi/Ani Challenge Write a story/scene/whatever with Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan and Anakin. Any time period. AU or canon. Heck you could even do a dead trio if you want....:p
    And to make it more interesting, it has to be between 500 and 3000 words and include the following: blood, gems, starfighter, grin, and fluffy....

Starts July 19. Good luck. You're going to need it![face_worried]
  7. Knight_Dilettante Jedi Master

star 4
    Ok, haven't written Evil Qui-Gon yet, haven't read anything here since well before I left on vacation so no responses for now. I will try to do them later.

However, I have a response for the current challenge. (Which I didn't think I was going to do until Diane gave me a bunny. It is all her fault. All complaints should be PMed there. Or possibly to Layren. Just remember, "It's not my fault!")

I used all the words from both sets of required words. Just to prove I could :p. Enjoy, I hope, and if not, remember, "It's not my fault!"

Title: Blame Diane, And I Guess Layren, But Mostly, Diane
    Author: Knight_Dilettante
    Genre: you tell me and we'll both know
    Timeframe: just post TPM
    Keywords: AU (whoo boy is it AU)
    Characters: Qui-Gon Jinn, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Anakin Skywalker

Qui-Gon was finally healed enough to leave Naboo. Even Anakin, who had been spending a good deal more time trailing around after the Queen than any of the Jedi had been happy about, (or the Queen for that matter) was ready to leave Naboo and return to the Temple, now that he was officially a Jedi Padawan, though whose precisely was still to be negociated.

As they climbed into the four-seat starfighter the planetary government was loaning them for the journey, Obi-Wan felt a momentary frisson of unease. He looked around at the gleaming exterior of the ship and then at the warm burgundy of the seating. For a moment he allowed himself to realize that blood would not be visible on the seats, nor yet the flooring which was covered in a supportive spongy covering of the same color.

He looked over at his Master whose deep blue eyes glittered like gems due to the reflections of sunlight tossed up into the cabin by the chromed exterior of the craft. Master Qui-Gon looked back at Obi-Wan and though he did not seem as serene as usual, Obi-Wan knew that the pain could not be completely controlled with medication even now so Obi-Wan tossed aside his concerns and initiated the lift off sequence.

Anakin was full of excitement and his grin as they rose up was catching. Obi-Wan soon found himself grinning as well and even Qui-Gon's lips had curled up into a smile. "Wizard!" Anakin shouted when Obi-Wan silently offered him the controls. Qui-Gon kept an eye on Anakin's piloting while Obi-Wan set the navicomp to working out their hyperspace jump.

It should have been a short jump, the Naboo had rewarded Anakin for destroying the Droid army with enough money that between it and what Qui-Gon had sold the pod for they should be able to buy Shmi from Watto. So the first jump was simply to Tatooine to collect Anakin's mother. The plan, and it was a very simple one, was to send Obi-Wan in to buy a housekeeper. Watto hadn't seen Obi-Wan so the thinking was Watto would have no way to know he was connected with the others. Now that Obi-Wan had been knighted, to Qui-Gon's great pride and pleasure, he would be able to avoid looking like a Jedi padawan or even a Jedi Knight, simply by donning the burgundy flight suit the Queen had also loaned them instead of his Jedi tunics. He was not currently wearing the flight suit, having already spoken his piece about not wanting to look like part of the furniture until he absolutely had to. But thinking about the burgundy flight suit made the embers of his unease flare again momentarily.

The calculations completed, the navicomp passed on the necessary data to the pilot's station and though they watched over his shoulder carefully, the two Jedi allowed Anakin to initiate the jump to hyperspace himself. But only moments after the stars had blurred into the lines of hyperspace a terrible jolt hit the craft and Anakin fell out of his seat, hitting his head on the console.

"Sithspawn!" By his outburst Obi-Wan knew the boy was more shaken than hurt so he concentrated on trying to find out what had happened.

"Anakin! Where did you hear such language?" Qui-Gon's repri
  8. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Blame Diane, And I Guess Layren, But Mostly, Diane - First off who couldn't love a title like that!! Haven't even gotten to the story and I'm laughing. Oh... not only does Qui-Gon survive Naboo, but Shmi will not be staying behind either. YAY!!!

ROFLOL, Anakin learning to swear from Obi-Wan?!? [face_shame_on_you] [face_shame_on_you] For shame! LOL

Bravo K_D, that was brilliant! Welcome back!
  9. dianethx Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    What?? I didn't do anything. [face_whistling] Loved it, KD. Loved the tie-in with HP and that Fluffy. I figured with the whole sarlacc thing you were going in that direction but noooooo, instead, we have a 3 headed Fluffy. :D

Great job on using all the words, too. =D=
  10. kateydidnt Force Ghost

star 4
    The next challenge would be something like this, wouldn't it? Of course, the epic length story that I am outlining would have a scene that could incorporate all the necessary elements (except maybe the fluffy...) and I can't post it! It is too early in my planning stages! Argh!
  11. PadawanKitara Force Ghost

star 5
    I love how you worked in all the words- especially Fluffy!!
  12. Princess_Arulmozhi Force Ghost

star 4
    <is still gurgling at K_D's magnificent vig>

Blame Diane, eh? I was going to snag the title, but you beat me to it. :D. The Jedi and Fluffy!!! Bravo, KD! [face_laugh]. Anakin the sithspawn. :D

LOL. Leona would be happy that there's no Shmi. <Tell the truth, so am I. :D>
  13. -The-Negotiator- Jedi Padawan

Knight_Dilletante Very cute! I loved how Anakin kept saying 'uh...' when trying to explain where he'd heard his colorful new term. [face_laugh]

Pushing Back
    -The-Negotiator-

PG

Disclaimer: All belongs to Lucas.

()

Blood-caked fingers curled around the steel frame of the door. The steel was smooth, flawless, and cool. It was all these lovely things he could barely remember, things he had not known for so long, things that were the opposite of what the shriveled pit caged within his lungs was composed of. His insides were the jagged cave walls. He thought of those walls, the places where he raked against and felt the swell of warm liquid on bare flesh.

And now, suddenly, there were these walls and this door. A door. He could barely wrap his mind around the concept, this rectangular shape that was not a huge, yawning mouth of pointed teeth, smothered by chains. He had to blink the burgeoning fog from his vision; his entrancement with all the silvery beauty was threatening his focus.

Focus, yes. He couldn?t recall most of his life, but focus jutted out at him, it floated, whole and coherent, among the pools of gray ether.

And what did focus mean? It meant narrowing his eyes and breathing slowly and reaching from the doorframe to the little control panel. He was afraid he wouldn?t know what symbols to push, but his fingers had retained more than his head. They glided across the grid of buttons, and then there was a soft beep and the door vanished into the wall.

It was dark.

The layers of shadow unnerved him, for as he took a tentative step inside they webbed around him. They pushed against him. Like the others did, when they shoved him to the ground, and the dust stung his eyes. There was no dust here, no stale scent of rot and sweat, but his eyes were wet somehow.

He moved further into the space. Oh, his fingers had slipped from goodness and softness, and he had existed without days or nights or laughing. But this place had been a secret buried beyond the omnipresence of the cave. He went here and for a while, there was nothing else. Nothing and no one, except the two of them.

Here was happy. He remembered happy, too. It was warmth in his chest and a grin and not needing, because what he needed he had.

There was no happy moment in the other place; each second there throbbed with need. He needed food, but his plate was small and the colorless lump in the middle was smaller, and he was small beside the others, who wore lumps but those made of muscle and could take his plate. They always took it, and so he was even smaller, and could see the sharp ridges of his own bones straining against his skin.

The only way to keep the plate was to push back. He tried to, he would feel the anger boil to a frenzied froth inside him and would try to push against the others, but then a switch was turned inside him, and he couldn?t. He didn?t know why, but it was wrong to become them. They said he would become them, when enough time had ground away into that painful dust, and he wouldn?t care anymore and would push against them all until his bruises were lumps of muscle on his arms and legs.

Time went, like they said it would, and he didn?t care anymore. He pushed. No one took his plate after that. No one would take anything from him again.

He stopped just before he came to the corridor. This was where his hidden warmth would freeze, and the grin would flatten out. He never made it over the threshold.

But now it was different. Because he learned to push, and then he learned to fight, and then he learned to break the chains. He took the starfighter and saw the sky and then burst into that sky, the black stretch with just enough light.

The hall was like the sky. Dark, but with a slit of white illumination to go by. He walked into it, to the glowing strip.

And that door opened, like the other had.

But there was blinding brightness behind this door, and he was not accustomed at all to that. He covered his eyes, letting the room seep in bet
  14. dianethx Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    OH MY GOODNESS :eek:

Wow, Negotiator. That was wonderful. Words fail me. I loved how Obi-Wan kept thinking about not pushing back and then he did and he escaped and he was still pushing back. Wow. Jealousy and fear and rage and blindness.

Bravo. =D=

Who are you??????
  15. Princess_Arulmozhi Force Ghost

star 4
    My dear Negotiator, that was brilliant. [face_love] Everytime I click on a story that bears your name, I can be sure of a visual treat. Loved the way you've shown Obi. And Qui's words. [face_love]

>>>He would just have to push back.

Now that's the spirit!! =D= Wonderful work, my dear.

>>>Who are you??????

LOL. Mean to say, you haven't guessed yet? [face_mischief]
  16. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Pushing Back - Whoa... that is just... I'm with Diane, words fail a tthis point. That viggie is just twirling aroun in my head and I'm not quite done. Got to ?It?s?it?s my?it?s Obi-Wan.? which really I figured it was, but I was suddenly struck that this is the same Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan from that last fic of yours. only different in some small way. Intense and very disturbing, especially giving us only what appears to be Obi-Wan's now distorted account of what had befallen him. It's really creepy that whatever it was, whereever he was he instinctually made it back to the Temple and his own room.
  17. dianethx Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Guessing and knowing are two different things. I really am terrible at guessing. Always get it wrong... especially when there are so few clues. I would have guessed you, Princess_A but I doubt you would review your own story.:p plus you already have a sock and you are prolific enough as it is.[face_whistling] And I know it's not me! LOL.
  18. Kynstar Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    KD that was great! [face_laugh] "Fluffy?!?!" indeed!

-The-Negotiator- talk about suspense... :eek: wowzers! Loved it!
  19. raisedbywolves Jedi Knight

star 2
    I'm still feeling like I've been on a rollercoaster from reading both of these one right after the other. Wow. It's fascinating to see what different responses the challenge has already provoked!

K_D: I was lucky enough to read this before the discussion thread, so I was probably the only one shocked, just SHOCKED, to see the three-headed Fluffy from Harry Potter! This was lovely, especially since some of the words spawned their own little subplots, like "burgundy" becoming the color of the seats, the hated suit Obi-Wan didn't feel like wearing... Best part: the Jedi thinking of the wands as "twigs". Ah if only they knew...

The Negotiator: Wow. The beginning had me so confused and horrified! Then the tender reactions of Qui-Gon and crew as they realized Obi-Wan was back - I loved thinking of Qui-Gon rummaging through his possessions to try and find souvenirs that might restore his poor Obi-Wan's speech and memory. Clinging onto such small objects in hope. It's horrible to think that their miracle boy can only obssess about replacing the one who's supplanted him, even in the face of their tenderness.

*wanders off dizzied by the rollercoaster*
  20. VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Two more wonderful vignettes! I'll come back and leave more detailed replies in a bit. Loved them both! =D=
  21. Princess_Arulmozhi Force Ghost

star 4
    Blame Diane for this one as well. She wanted a humourously evil Qui-Gon so much that I just wrote what that phrase inspired. [Inspired...?]

:eek: :D [face_batting]

THE EDGE

?Grey waves crashed onto the sombre shore; their watery crests shimmering in the vivid moonlight. The stormy skies shrieked and raged as the angels within drank the sombre glasses of insane delight; for what were mortals worth after all, but the imperfect replicas of intransigent souls of immortality, slithering in the gusts of soul-piercing loneliness, awash with the intractable aura of bliss???

Qui-Gon sat in his seat, and heaved a deep breath. A plethora of emotions coursed through him: the thrill of adventure, the exhilaration of doing what the soul craved, of what the Force urged him to, of sweet ecstacy.

But the feeling rarely lasted more than a few seconds; within moments, he would feel the need to start again, to continue with it?Force, it afforded him no rest, no respite?sometimes, he thought death was approaching with a swiftness not even a lightsabre could approach, and he wished it would end soon, soon?but he knew that it wouldn?t.

If he wished to admit the truth to himself, he knew that he didn?t want to.

He bent down; his fingers flickered over the complicated dial on the small box pushed under his seat, the lid swished open. He reached inside it, lifting the object gently, and laid it flatly on the desk. He gave it one last, loving caress. And then he pulled out a tiny blade, glinting in the feeble illumination of his room?

?and proceeded to carve the decomposing corpse of the womp-rat with great relish.

Obi-Wan, watching through the slightly ajar doorway to his Master?s room, groaned.

Beside him, Healer Merrim shook her head. ?I see what you meant. I didn?t know it was?? She watched, eyes widening as the Master brandished his knife. ?Oh, Good Force.?

Obi-Wan passed a hand through his head, his fingers coming into contact with his braid; he winced. ?Healer Merrim, it?s worse now. Ever since he got Lady Dinaxth?s letters??

?Letters?? Healer Merrim flung around at hi, her long robes swishing about. ?He gets letters??

?From royalty, no less.? Obi-Wan voice was a goodly blend of worry, impatience, and a tinge of horror. ?Apparently he can do no wrong in her eyes. She writes to him practically every day, raving about his talents??

?How did her missives ever get past the Temple Codes??

Obi-Wan raised an eye-brow. ?He?s a Master. And if he wants to receive letters, then he will.? He bit his lips. ?He hasn?t spoken two sane words to me in the past week!?

?There, now,? Merrim patted the padawans shoulder, half her attention still on the Master, who appeared to be regarding his handiwork with fascination. ?I?ve no doubt we can??

She was interrupted as she heard a familiar, rich voice address her, and almost jumped. Impeccable Jedi reflexes, however, saved her from this ignominy.

?Merrim!? Qui-Gon had sprung towards the door, pushing it open. ?Merrim, dearest one, you?re just in time to see my latest!?

Healer Merrim prepared to waft a soothing tendril of Force towards the much too enthusiastic Master in an effort to calm him down. ?Now, Master Jinn, I?m sure you??

?You?d love it, I know!? Qui-Gon pulled at her wrists, and the slender healer found herself being inexorably dragged towards the rotting womp-rat. A brief image of being asked to ?appreciate? decomposing womp-rats assailed her, and she stifled a spurt of nausea?it would not do for a Jedi healer to be sick, no matter what the provocation.

?I would?? She murmured doubtfully. ?Qui-Gon, this womp-rat?s rotting??

?I think it?s a fine specimen, myself,? Qui-Gon?s eyes gleamed. ?But that isn?t what I wanted you to see. Look at this?? He dragged her towards the terminal on his desk, on which rolled?words. The screen fairly glittered with them.

?And then, Jedi Master Cow-Goon Jom whipped his light-sabre across his torso,
  22. dianethx Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    :eek: [face_laugh] :eek:

I'm not sure whether to be flattered that Qui-Gon finally got my letters :D :p or think of a good place to hide! Oh, my, goodness. That was so funny! Love the horrible romance stuff as well (I used to write that kind of... kriff for As the Furniture Flies just to make everyone nauseous).

Man, he's insane!
  23. Seven Jedi Knight

star 3
    Going backwards now...

Master! :eek:

What have you done? ...Not that it wasn't spectacular...

I loved Qui. It was just far to funny. My sides hurt...

Lovely as always Master... More soon please?

~

-The-Negotiator-

That was great!

It made me want to cry though... Poor Obi. Push back Obi! Push back.

Just wonderful.

~

Knight_Dilettante

Love it! Jedi and Wizards.

Brilliant!

~

You're all wonderful!

Seven
    @};-
  24. Knight_Dilettante Jedi Master

star 4
    Ok, finally got caught up reading as well

Evil Qui-Gon responses:

RBW Creepily canon as others have said. Poor Shmi, thinking that she agreed to it all along when she didn't really.

ithesock Excellent as usual. I was quite intrigued by the shift in positions.

Diane Ewwww! Jedi Vampires! Qui-Gon was really evil here. And yet so believable. Golly! You should write a vampire novel you could make a fortune.

VL Icky too, but as in all these cases, good in an icky way or icky in a good way. You made me feel sorry for Xan. Very few people can do that.

Kyn Oh wow, now that was a totally believable and very scary alternate history.

Layren Nooooo! Well, actually I have been the one all along saying that there was nothing in the film to say that Qui wasn't evil haven't I? But it still some how seems like he ought to get out alive if he's evil. I guess not though. Maul sure didn't.

v_i That was just beautiful. Absolutely gorgeous. And I loved the tense you chose. And I love how he is actually, in a way, in the right.

*waves hand in Jedi Mind Trick fashion* You should continue that in a full length AU where they have simply drugged him in order to take him back to the temple. Then maybe if they finally start to believe him about at least some of it, it will be possible to not have almost everyone die in the end like GL did. *waves hand again for good measure*

Negotiator Wow, that was excellent. I loved how everything you included had meaning. And the descriptions were amazing. Wow!

I still have to do my Evil!Qui but I have this nasty feeling it is going to be huge... Plus I still have romances in the pipeline. [face_laugh]

Now on to the next challenge:

HL, Diane, PK, Princess, Negotiator, Kyn, RBW and 7 *whew* Glad you enjoyed it. I am particularly glad that RBW got it without any sort of warning of where it was going. I was hoping someone would since I figured it would be funnier that way.

Negotiator Oh golly, another amazing story. I'm with Diane 100% every word.

And apparently back to Evil Qui-Gon.

P-A [face_laugh] Oh my gosh! That is hysterical. I think Obi-Wan should have sent for more backup than just one little healer though. =D=

And now, I have a second offering for Qui-Obi-Ani and I think, it might even be able to be canon. In a way I have already done this but yet, it seems different enough to me... A bit more work to get all the words in but some of the initially discarded set ended up being too easy again so I had to do them all.

~~~~~~~~~~

Title: She Walks In Beauty
    Author: Knight_Dilettante
    Genre: er, uh, ???
    Timeframe: during TPM
    Keywords: fluffy, starfighter, blood, gems, grin, Sithspawn, embers, burgundy, epiphany
    Characters: Qui-Gon Jinn, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Anakin Skywalker, Padmé Amidala Skywalker

There was almost no blood. At least none that he could see or feel. The Sithspawn's blade must have stayed in place long enough to cauterize the wound. By some miracle, despite severing his spine so that he had no hope of survival, the blade had otherwise missed his lungs and heart. So he could live on for what would no doubt seem decades but which he knew could really only be minutes. A half hour at best. The light had somehow already faded though, the red blade waving where he could see it took on the look of the embers of a dying fire. His dying fire.

Like the fire in the gems of Queen Amidala's head-dress. The one the decoy had worn when he and Obi-Wan had rescued the 'Queen' and her handmaidens. Their flame seemed to fade into embers too as they had boarded the starship to leave Naboo. He had meant to ask about that when the crisis was over.

He spent a moment wondering how the little Queen was doing. Her burgundy uniform, so much more practical than anything else he had seen her wear, except perhaps for her Tatooine garb, had
  25. dianethx Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Cool, KD, yet another one. I found this one more canon as poor Qui-Gon is dying. His thoughts are all scattered about and yet he focuses in on Anakin at the end. And then Obi-Wan. Good job. I can't believe that you used all the words again. Boy, was I wrong when I said the first list was too hard!
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.