main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Qui-Gon Jinn Challenge Thread - Note on first post

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jinn is MINE, May 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -The-Negotiator-

-The-Negotiator- Jedi Youngling

Jun 23, 2005
    Loved the language, Knight_Dilletante. Very sad, but with a little bright spot there at the end. =D=

2. Jinn is MINE

Jinn is MINE Jedi Knight star 3

May 12, 2005
    Qui/Obi/Ani Challenge Index
    Write a story/scene/whatever with Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan and Anakin. Any time period. AU or canon. Heck you could even do a dead trio if you want.... And to make it more interesting, it has to be between 500 and 3000 words and include the following: blood, gems, starfighter, grin, and fluffy....

Authors - If you need me to change anything, please let me (dianethx) know.

Title: Blame Diane, And I Guess Layren, But Mostly, Diane
    Author: Knight_Dilettante
    Timeframe: just post TPM
    Characters: Qui-Gon Jinn, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Anakin Skywalker
    Genre: you tell me and we'll both know
    Keywords: AU (whoo boy is it AU), fluffy, starfighter, blood, gems, grin, Sithspawn, embers, burgundy, epiphany
    Summary: Qui, Obi and Ani have lost their way and Fluffy doesn't help.

Title: Pushing Back
    Author: -The-Negotiator
    Timeframe: AOTC
    Genre: angst, mystery
    Keywords: Master, pushing back, fluffy, starfighter, blood, gems, grin
    Summary: Obi-Wan has disappeared for 12 years; now he returned to the Temple, a changed man but what has he changed into? Anakin wants to know, very badly.

Title: She Walks In Beauty
    Author: Knight_Dilettante
    Timeframe: during TPM
    Characters: Qui-Gon Jinn, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Anakin Skywalker, Padmé Amidala Skywalker
    Genre: er, uh, ???, angst
    Keywords: fluffy, starfighter, blood, gems, grin, Sithspawn, embers, burgundy, epiphany
    Summary: Qui-Gon's last thoughts before he dies on Naboo.

Title: Master Knows Best
    Author: Shadowolf
    Timeframe: a few months after TPM
    Characters: Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, and Anakin
    Genre: AU, challenge response
    Summary: Advice is given from Master to Padawan

Title: The Sound of Music
    Author: Princess_Arulmozhi
    Timeframe: Post TPM, AU, obviously.
    Genre: Mush. Fluff. Serenity?
    Keywords: All the words Layren put in, I think.
    Summary: Every day brings a new discovery to newly minted padawan Anakin Skywalker.
    Note: My plot-bunny had plot-bunnies, and this story was the result. I was writing another story, and broke it off in the middle to write this. Hee.
    I suppose you could make this the second in line, with the broken nose AU I did earlier.

3. -The-Negotiator-

Jun 23, 2005
    Sorry I didn't provide a summary [face_blush] but yours is much better than mine would have been anyway. ;)

dianethx [face_blush] What you said was very kind. Thank you. 'Who are you?????? A compadre, I assure you. [face_mischief]

Princess_Arulmozhi You flatter me. [face_batting] It means so much, coming from a writer of your caliber.

Healer_Leona It's really creepy that whatever it was, whereever he was he instinctually made it back to the Temple and his own room. I wanted it to seem like an intrusion on both ends, because Obi-Wan thinks it's still his home, but it isn't, and really, he's not even Obi-Wan anymore. Thank you very much for the lovely review. [face_love]

Kynstar [:D] Thank you.

raisedbywolves [face_blush] Thanks. In my head, what happens afterwards is terrible for Anakin and Qui-Gon, because Obi-Wan became focused on posessiveness, and being gone for so long would leave him completely changed. :(

VaderLVR64 [:D] Glad you liked it.

Seven Thank you. [face_love]

Knight_Dilletante Thanks for both reviews. :) And I hope to read your Evil Qui-Gon soon. I bet it's going to be fantastic, knowing you. :D

4. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    KD Great second helping :)

Negotiator WOW

Princess Sockie [face_laugh]

5. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    Lady D: Glad you enjoyed it. :D I had a great time making him write for a certain Lady, you know.Though I found it easy to write the romance bits. <shudders>. As for me already having a sock, and all that...so sure, are you, that it mightn't be me? What if I were commenting to my own fics, to throw you off the scent? [face_laugh].

Now -The Negotiator- will kill me, for sure. :D . [BTW, my dear - that Dooku fic was fantabulous! Loved evil Qui, and his reasoning for why he thinks Obi would never betray him. :)]

Diane, Qui sends you a thousand kisses and a sealed letter, for having written that great summary.[face_batting]

Paddy mine: Thanks, m'dear. It was fun writing. :D

KD: Yup, Obi should have brought int more re-inforcements - the poor, misguided padawan that he is. [face_laugh]

raisedbywolves, Shadowolf, PK: Thanks. :D

Ooh, bunny bites for the next challenge...

6. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Oh my Force! [face_mischief] PA... that was just fabulous. [face_laugh] [face_laugh] I love how Qui-Gon was trying hard to get his writing just right with experimenting in realty...of a sorts, wanting hlep with torture. That was most definitely a humorous and evil (insane) Qui!! [:D].

K_D, that was so very sad and brilliantly done. I agree with Diane that it reads as cannon. Far too reall in how he feels, and what he sense, sees and the epiphany that comes to him.... :_| :_|

7. -The-Negotiator-

Jun 23, 2005
    What if I were commenting to my own fics, to throw you off the scent?

That isn't a bad idea, after all. [face_thinking]

Thanks for your review of the evil Qui fic, Princess. You are unfailingly generous. [face_love]

8. Shadowolf

Shadowolf Jedi Master star 2

May 4, 2005
    Title: Master Knows Best
    Author: Shadowolf
    Characters: Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, and Anakin
    Timeframe: a few months after TPM
    Genre: AU, challenge response
    Summary: Advice is given from Master to Padawan

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    It took several months for Master Qui-Gon Jinn to recover from a wound that should have killed him. All that saved him was the healing trance he fell into after urging his padawan to train the boy, Anakin. The Jedi Healers back on Coruscant were still amazed by his progress, but Qui-Gon knew why he'd been healed. The Force willed it and it simply was not his time yet. What he still wasn't sure of was exactly what he was supposed to do now?

"How are you feeling, Master?"

Qui-Gon smiled and put his journal down when Obi-Wan came into his chamber. "Today, I feel as strong as a three-week-old Gundark."

Considering the size and strength of a baby gundark Obi-Wan thought this was considerable improvement over recent weeks. "They?ll be letting you return to duty soon, I imagine."

"And not a moment too soon," Qui-Gon said with a hint of relief in his voice. "Tell me about the trial, Obi-Wan. I?ve heard that Viceroy Gunray will remain in power of the Trade Federation."

Obi-Wan didn?t want to tell his former master what he learned at the trial. He disagreed with the verdict, but there was nothing he could do to change it. "You?ve heard correctly, Master."

Qui-Gon stared in amazement. "The Chancellor recused himself from the proceedings," Obi-Wan explained. "He claimed that he could not be impartial and allowed Mas Amedda to run the proceedings."

"Did he now?" Qui-Gon asked not expecting, nor wanting an answer.

Continuing Obi-Wan said, "The judiciary determined that the blockade was legal, but the invasion was unjust. The Trade Federation was ordered to disband most of their droid army, but it was also decided that there wasn?t enough evidence to strip the Viceroy of his power."
    "An entire world full of witnesses, innocents whose blood was spilled, and there isn?t enough evidence?" Qui-Gon asked incredulously.

"Apparently not," Obi-Wan answered with a wry smile.

Qui-Gon crossed his arms and frowned. "This doesn?t make sense. The Senate was behind the Naboo enough to agree with a vote of no confidence in Vallorum. To now say there wasn?t enough evidence of the charges, it simply doesn?t make sense." He could see that Obi-Wan agreed with him but didn't know what to do about the situation. "We'll have to meditate on this, Padawan. But tell me, where is Anakin?"

Anakin. With Qui-Gon it always came back to the boy, Obi-Wan thought with an internal sigh. His young student was easy to like, unless one was trying to teach him, then it was a daily struggle not to strangle the inquisitive scamp. "With Master Yoda going through some of the beginner lightsaber drills. Would you like him to come by when he is finished?"

Qui-Gon considered the request then shook his head, "There is no need, I imagine he'll be rather tired after running through Master Yoda's more inventive drills." He did want to see the boy, more importantly he wanted to train him, but he could not interfere with the bond that was already in place between Obi-Wan and Anakin. "Are things settling down for the two of you?"

This was his chance, Obi-Wan thought. He could tell his former master all his concerns about Anakin and perhaps he could be released from his promise to train him. But even as he considered it, Obi-Wan knew he wouldn't make the request. He wouldn't reject the child that wanted to learn so badly. He wanted to belong, and for Obi-Wan to request such a large change would only make Anakin believe he didn't belong, and that no one in the Temple wanted him except for Qui-Gon. It wasn't true, Obi-Wan did want him. He could see how strong he was with the Force, but he also saw how dangerous Anakin could be. It was his job to make sure that danger never came to pass.

"There are difficulties of course," Obi-Wan said reluctantly. "Master, he's so old to begin his training! He doesn't unders

9. -The-Negotiator-

Jun 23, 2005
    ?Hear me out, Young One.? Qui-Gon said gently. ?You should never have been burdened with this responsibility, but you accepted it, and you will succeed. You are the ideal teacher for the boy, calm, centered, the very essence of what a Jedi Knight should be. But, Anakin will also be a good teacher for you. Training him you will learn when to follow your instincts and when to fall back on tradition and law. You?ll add to that large well of patience you already have. And you?ll learn that sometimes allowing emotion to rule you is not such a bad thing.?

I cannot express how much I loved that paragraph. It explains quite beautifully the balance (and occasional unbalance) of Anakin and Obi-Wan. Qui-Gon was perfectly in character. Marvelous job! :)

edit--although, you might cut down on the number of '~' you have, because they have widened the page so that you have to scroll a bit from side to side. ;)

10. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Oh, that was lovely mush. I loved that Qui-Gon recognized that Obi-Wan needed to train Anakin, to make him a better person, teacher, friend and brother.

Great job. Loved the discussion!=D=

11. Knight_Dilettante

Knight_Dilettante Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2002
    Yea! A Qui-Gon survives fic that is fun and happy and also so insightful! Lovely!

KD

12. Shadowolf

May 4, 2005
    -The-Negotiator-, thank you so much! The characterization of Qui-Gon was the biggest challenge since I've never tried to write him before. I'm so glad it worked ok. Oh, and oooops on the "~~~~" I deleted some so hopefully it fixes the prob. [face_blush]

dianethx, thank you! I really think Qui-Gon knew that Obi would be a fantastic teacher, otherwise he never would have burdened him with a student before he even gained his knighthood.

Knight_Dilettante thanks! Would you believe it started out as evil!Qui? But I couldn't make Qui-Gon evil, not when he was being so insightful and such. Glad you liked it!

13. Princess_Arulmozhi

Nov 16, 2004
    Ah, that was excellent. Qui-Gon's wonderful with his patient understanding, and Obi-Wan is just right, with his doubts and insecurity. Anakin being allowed to remain in contact with his mother was great too. :) =D=

Incidentally...that was the bunny I was going to write, more or less. :D

14. darshaassant

darshaassant Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 13, 2005
    OMG all these are excellent sorry I don't have time to comment individually, but... yeah they're are great!!

15. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Father Knows Best - First up yes to surviving Qui-Gon. I think Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan together would have been what was needed to stop the darkness from taking over. WOnder insgihtinto all three characters Shadowolf.

16. Shadowolf

May 4, 2005
    Princess_Arulmozhi, Darshaassant, & Healter_Leona, thanks for all the FB! Glad y'all enjoyed the story. :)

Qui-Gon fans are great, y'all all make me feel so welcome! [:D]

17. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Hey guys, just a friendly reminder -- don't forget to vote in the awards! The deadline is tonight at midnight board time!

We're so fortunate to have a lot of great writers on this thread who were nominated!

Congratulations to everyone!!!

18. Princess_Arulmozhi

Nov 16, 2004
    Oops. Next post,please. :D

19. Princess_Arulmozhi

Nov 16, 2004
    Title: The Sound of Music
    Author: Princess_Arulmozhi
    Timeframe: Post TPM, AU, obviously.
    Genre: Mush. Fluff. Serenity?
    Keywords: All the words Layren put in, I think.
    Summary: Every day brings a new discovery to newly minted padawan Anakin Skywalker.
    Notes: My plot-bunny had plot-bunnies, and this story was the result. I was writing another story, and broke it off in the middle to write this. Hee.

I suppose you could make this the second in line, with the broken nose AU I did earlier.

The Sound of Music

?Tell me what this is, then.?

The melodious sounds of a stringed instrument filled the small apartment: a man sat on the couch that stood to one side, his chestnut hair flowing over the back, tied up in wavy sheaths that fell to his shoulders. His azure-blue eyes gleamed as he plucked the strings of the instrument slowly, beginning an ancient, simple tune, its notes floating through the air around him in clear, soft tones.

The boy who sat in front of him, legs tucked under him, listened o it, eyes wide with curiosity, frowning in an effort to recognize it. At length, he brightened.

?The Force through the Embers!? he said, bouncing slightly as he did so.

?Excellent,? spoke Qui-Gon Jinn, Jedi Master, as he sat back on the couch. ?Although that was a little too simple?I chose it that way on purpose,? he smiled, watching the boy?s face fall, slightly. ?Now, Anakin, let?s see if you can recognize this one.?

He strummed the instrument again, his fingers playing across a slightly more complicated cadence. Nevertheless, the chorus was a very well-known one?even in Tatooine, it seemed, and before long, Anakin gave a grin.

?The Sithspawn and the Blood-Red Gems,? he announced glibly, trying to follow the tune Qui-Gon produced, in a slightly nasal voice.

Qui-Gon flicked a casual eye towards the apartment?s balcony, well aware of the slight start given by the figure standing there, casting an eye over Coruscant?s sky-lanes, filled with the air-traffic of late evenings. Neither had he missed the brief movement the man had made, his hands clasped lightly behind his back.

?Yes, well.? Qui-Gon plucked an idle string as he stretched himself out on the couch, crossing his ankles. ?In Coruscant, it goes by the name 'Epiphany in Burgundy', padawan.?

?Oh.? Anakin?s face fell comically, and the master knew that the boy?s ignorance of Core-World culture was playing upon his mind.

?It has only been six months, Anakin,? the Master spoke in a placating tone. ?You still have a lot to learn?and more than enough time to learn it.?

?Isn?t Master Obi-Wan going to play?? the boy asked, clasping his hands in his laps.

?Master Obi-Wan doesn?t play the yerpé,? he explained. ?I do?but I?m no expert, Ani. ?

?If you can play it, why can?t he?? queried Anakin, his tone mild, yet insistent. ?We had drums on Tatooine,? he spoke, warming to his theme. ?We had a band to play it too. And then there was Fluffy??

?Fluffy?? The figure on the balcony turned, evening sunlight glinting on red-gold hair, which curled against his shoulders. His eyes gleamed as he threw a smile at the older Jedi, who lowered his head, chuckling.

?That?s what they called it,? Anakin insisted, growing crimson as he felt the thread of amusement that floated through his bond with his Masters. ?And when they played Fluffy, along with drums, it was beautiful.?

?I?m sure it was,? Obi-Wan smiled as he walked in, his robe swinging gracefully. ?It?s called differently in Coruscant, though.?

Anakin heaved a deep, if dramatic sigh. ?Everything?s different in Corscant,? he mumbled, lisping through the planet?s name. ?It?s so difficult ?membering it all.?

?I dare say, but it?ll come to you in time,? said Qui-Gon throwing a mock-severe look at his former padawan, as the latter joined him on the couch.

Anaki

20. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    When Obi-Wan was the one playing the instrument, I thought i was going to cry.

That was beautiful, P_A. I loved the relationship you've woven between the three of them. Very warm and realisitc. So wonderful. :_|

21. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Awww, another beautiful viggie PA. I love how Anankin assumed Obi-Wan couldn't play an instrument and the inventive way they showed him not to assume.

I must make a request now... somewhere along the line Anakin will become quite proficient at an instrument and there should be a concert of the three of them.... Hmmmm???? :D :D

22. Seven

Seven Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 20, 2000
    Now Master, that was more than simply wonderous.

I liked how Ani assumed that Obi couldn't play anything. I liked it even better when Obi proved him wrong!

Qui was magnificent. I loved how he could place a lesson in everything that they did.

Fluffy?! Now that was priceless!

Another perfect peice Master!

Your Paddy,
    Seven

23. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Really lovely and I had to laugh about Fluffy! :D I love the way you showed the three of them, a fine balance of Masters and very curious apprentice trying to find their way together. Anakin is certainly a handful but I would imagine that he would be with all that power unchanneled and little education.

Wonderfully done! =D=

24. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    The way you worked fluffy in was brilliant! I love how you created a lesson, dome downtime and fluffymush all in one.

25. raisedbywolves

raisedbywolves Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 1, 2005
    These have all been lovely, but soooo many - so we'll leave it at that.

Princess, I'm working on a music one too... but it sure isn't that good!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.