main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Qui-Gon Jinn/Dooku film

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by StarWarsFan91, Apr 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Would anyone else, want to see a film set pre-TPM that shows us the relationship between an apprentice known as Qui-Gon Jinn, and his Jedi Master Dooku (whether it be the early or later days of their relationship)?

Do you think this a good idea for another star wars prequel?

2. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I'd love that actually. They were good characters and I'd like to see that relationship explored. Why did Qui-Gon rebel? Was it Dooku's influence or his own curiosity about the living Force etc.

Lots of great things could be done there.

3. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I'd be for it. Unfortunately I wouldn't want it to happen without Christopher Lee playing Dooku and that is very unlikely.

4. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    For some reason I always imagine Dooku's younger years to be shown across multiple anthology films about other characters

Yoda Film: Dooku appears as his young padawan with radical views.
    Windu Film: Dooku cameos as a jedi knight unhappy with the Jedi ways
    Qui Gon Film: Dooku appears a Jedi Master wanting to leave the order.

5. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I would love a young Dooku/Qui Gon Anthology. Focusing on Qui Gon's early days as a padawan. It would be interesting seeing the early days of him being shaped into the Jedi master he was, and Dooku's earlier (perhaps different) perceptions on the state of the galaxy. Not to mention, it could underline the early signs of the growing corruption in the senate and the first evident cracks in the republic's foundation.

This could also double nicely including a subplot showing the emergence of Palpatine as a Sith, under Plagueis-maybe even as an "extended cameo," just seeing their publicly known persons meet and start to build a relationship, one the senate and the Jedi see on the surface-not actually showing who Hego Damask really is...

whostheBossk and Bloncket like this.
  6. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Absolutely! I would love a spinoff focused on Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan and Dooku…and maybe even Sifo-Dyas.

Bring.It.On.

Give us the Young Obi-Wan trilogy with Ewan sans beard with padawan hairdo and some light makeup…..he looks exactly the same! The guy doesn't age! Do it Lucasfilm!

7. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I don't think that would work well. There is a difference between Ewan's 1999 self and present day. Of course he would also have to be playing an even younger version then his 99 one. There is also the problem with the fact that Liam has aged since then to and would have to portray an even younger Qui-Gon then in TMP.

Which is why a Qui-Gon Jinn/Dooku spin off would work better, because the story would require new actors to portray the characters.

I would still like to see more Obiwan and Qui-Gon adventures in the future. But it should be in an animated series, where you don't have to worry about the age of the actors (Liam could even voice act for Qui-Gon, like he did a bit in TCW).

8. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Yeah, this could actually be cool. Dooku being Qui Gon's former master was another major wasted opportunity from the PT/TCW era. It's mentioned a couple of times, and then has ZERO bearing on anything. A film, or films, actually exploring their dynamic (and fleshing out Dooku's time as a Jedi) would go a long way towards redeeming his character.

whostheBossk likes this.
  9. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013

It kinda was dealt with though. Sure, the characters were never on screen together, but its pretty blatant that Jinn inherited a lot of his ideas and philosophies from his master. Jinn and Dooku both had some degree of mistrust of the Jedi Order, seeking to do things in their own ways (Anakin was also the same way, and Qui-Gon happened to immediately cling to him as well). Qui-Gon differed from his master (and Anakin) in that, while their mistrust lead them down the path to the dark side, Jinn understood that the Jedi Order's intentions were correct and, through his own more spiritual connection to the Force, he was able to learn the mysteries of the Force that the Council as a whole could not and pass on these once-hidden mysteries on so that OT-era Obi-Wan and Yoda, post-Vader Anakin, and Luke could carry on the Jedi Order into the future the way it should have been, not the way it was structured at the time of the fall of the Republic.

Bloncket and Iron_lord like this.
  10. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    No, not really. Not to me. It was definitely a case of "telling not showing" imo. Hell Qui Gon was underdeveloped as a character to begin with, and film Dooku was as well.

11. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    I'd love a Pre-Episode 1 movie, but like stated above, I'm not sure who would be Dooku and make it work like Lee.

12. Cyreides

Cyreides Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 19, 2014
    I'd love this, but it won't happen with the current direction Disney is taking SW and shunning the prequels. All it looks like we're going to get so far is spin-offs based around the OT or the ST.

13. Edgar Allen Poe Dameron

Edgar Allen Poe Dameron Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 7, 2015
    I'd be fine with any movie set pre-PT. I'll admit, I'm not a PT fan, at all, but in the hands of other producers, directors, screenwriters, etc, I'd still be very interested in the story possibilities. Having said that, I personally don't find Qui-Gon a compelling enough character to center a movie on.

14. littlewaves

littlewaves Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2008
    I don't think there's really any great prequel hatred coming out of the current direction. They may have a preference for the OT in genreal but then that's pretty logical given that the ST is closer in timeline to the OT than the PT.

Dark Disciple (upcoming novel with Asajj Ventress and Quinlan Vos) is prequel era and there are plenty of prequel era characters and references in Rebels.

Disney know that the fanbase is split into different groups who love or hate different eras. The new trilogy is their last real chance with any of the OT stars so the focus may be more there now but they'll be sure to tap into other sections of the fanbase and a prequel to the prequels would be a pretty good way to tidy up some of those sifo dyas / sideous loose ends on the big screen.

If they went for twenty-something Qui Gon, with child Obi Wan and middle aged Dooku they could recast without it looking too far fetched. Any sith presence would have to be hidden from Qui Gon and Obi Wan though or it wouldn't make much sense in the Phantom Menace when Maul shows up.

15. Cyreides

Cyreides Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 19, 2014
    then you aren't paying close enough attention

16. littlewaves

littlewaves Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2008

Okay well sure it's clear that certainly some of the new team are being less than subtle over their preference towards the OT but your original assertion seems to be that there's no way we'll get any prequel era (or connected) spinoffs. I think that's a little extreme given that they're still publisihing new canon prequel era content.

darklordoftech likes this.
  17. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

Have you read the books recently or watched Rebels

There is Tons of PT love there.

18. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    Lower your expectations, folks. PT characters are not likely to get origin story films any time soon.

19. Gabricjen

Gabricjen Jedi Master star 3

Dec 16, 2003
    Considering the luke warm response t the PT, I don't think we will see any time frmes around Eps 1-3 done. We might see before Ep 1 but I'm thinking KOTOR type era, than a few years before Phantom Menace. The story has been told and the Skywalker saga is the driver. Boba Fett and the Death Star plans happen around the Skywalkers. Dooku and Qui Gon, though I love them, will not be a popular storyline. I think you would see Jedi story with a young Yoda and the Jedi/Skywalker Prophecy or Han Solo/Chewbacca before you see any Phantom menace era stories.

20. AmidalaLover

AmidalaLover Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 19, 2014
    Yes base it 10-15 years before TPM have Liam Neeson star in it along a carefully chosen actor for Dooku. Also Sam L Jackson should star in it as well. Yoda should be a supporting character. This would give us a good story and Disney would be happy because they have a financial hit.

darthtimetraveller likes this.
  21. CarboniteSolo

CarboniteSolo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 11, 2013
    I would like to see Qui-Gon Jinn return both Liam Neeson who could just cameo or have a smaller part in the film and a teenage Qui-Gon who is just a Jedi Apprentice. Yoda could be in the movie as well. IF the movie was well written, it could work. He is a very popular character.

Like others have said, anything from the Prequels would be shunned if they tried to make them, but I still would like to see something like that. I just want to see Liam Neeson/Qui-Gon return, he played a great Jedi Knight.

22. darthtimetraveller

darthtimetraveller Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2015
    I would love to see this! The adventures of Qui-Gon and Dooku spanning maybe 30 to 40 years or so before TPM. Tons of potential here! They could easily do a trilogy on these two characters. Even a Qui-Gon stand-alone film with Liam Neeson returning, set about a decade or a little less before TPM.

Dooku/Yoda spin-off would be cool too! Yoda was his teacher, right?

23. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Here is a question? Who could play a younger dooku?

24. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    Would be cool. But a stand alone Yoda film is the one I want the most.

25. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    Who could play a younger Qui-Gon?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.