main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Qui-Gon Jinn - In league with Dooku all along?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Jaden, Apr 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaden

Jaden Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 22, 2001
    Greetings all. In some random net surfing on Count Dooku, I found this amazing article that I figured should definitely be shared on this forum. It was written by Ypiana, and can be found at

http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/board/message?board.id=Starsider&message.id=223664

For universal convenience however, I'll post it here.

Initially, I posted this on the Star Wars saga boards, but there were no takers, and it was closed. As it's specific to the Prequel Trilogy, I decided here would be a good place to give it a second try.

----------

The Force is the power that animates the Galaxy. In sentient beings it's evident in their imagination and actions. All life in the Galaxy represents The Force simply by the act of living. The power of life and death is The Force. The Force is the imagination - indivisible from energy and power - that built matter from energy and life from matter, and willed the Galaxy. It's an imagination so broad and unimaginably powerful that it has willed the entire Galaxy into being and all nearly all actions within the Galaxy - from a rain forest growing on Naboo, to the violent volcanoes on Lok, are carried out to the ever-flowing will of The Force.

Sentient beings are created by The Force as well. While nature is the face of The Force, sentience is its reflection. The ability to think, to reason, and to imagine is the essence of The Force. The Force is subjective. It creates and destroys with an even hand. The destructive power of Nature is balanced by the persistent power of peace. The volcano obliterates the land and covers it in death, yet life reclaims those grounds long before geology can repeat the destruction.

Sentient beings are a microcosm of The Force with their free will. They are free to define what is right and wrong, which ultimately makes those choices infinitely important, for they are the ones at the helm of their destiny, their very actions determine the nature of The Force and The Galaxy. Some of these sentients, chosen for reasons unknown and at random, are granted a special connection to the power of The Force through symbiont life forms in their cells called midichlorians. Whether midichlorians are antennae connected to the Force, or simply generators of The Force themselves, is unknown. Those who are strong with The Force have long recognized the two faces of creation: peace and destruction, and disciples of The Force adhere to one or more principles, mainly The Dark Side or Light Side of The Force.

Recognition of the opposing power of The Force rose with its disciples, and with that developed adherents of the two sides. Sentients unusually connected with The Force, through preference or discipline of their school, choose to draw their power and imitate either the Dark Side or the Light Side. Over time, students of the two powers became known as The Sith and The Jedi, respectively, and were antagonists.

Through a series of conflicts extending from prehistory, The Jedi proved victorious, wiping out The Sith. In the aftermath, some students of The Force, those rare independent minds capable of perception beyond instilled teaching, found the new peace in conflict with the will of The Force. If Sith and Jedi were reflections of The Force, the domination of one over the other, while being the natural propensity of both factions, was ultimately wrong. This view was heresay, and its proponents quickly rejected from the Jedi Order who never gained the status to spread their philosophy to others.

For these outcasts, life without an antagonist, while safe and comfortable, was ultimately decadent. The eradication of the enemy guaranteed the fragmentation of the Jedi Order, or an inevitable turnover from good to evil. The will of The Force dictated that an unopposed power of Light would eventually grow corrupt from within. Ancient sages, looking indirectly into the future, had long called for a 'Balance to The Force.' The true nature of this balance was unknown to those who directed the Jedi school, the members of the Jedi Council, who, after gener

2. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    An interesting theory. I don't that think Qui-Gon Jinn was in cohoots with his old master. But that would be an awesome twist.

3. Doctor_SuperJedi

Doctor_SuperJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 22, 2004
    Well... it was an interesting theory, and standing alone its a very solid piece. I really don't have much to "refute" the evidence the article presents because it would mostly consist of squabbling over lines and character motivations, and ultimately that's up to interpretation.

However, I don't like it becasue I feel this always breaks my personal number 1 rule when dealing with the Force and its balance.

NUMBER 1 RULE:
    Darth Sidious can't be the hero!

In this scenario, Darth Sidious is once again no longer the villain, even if he isn't nobly trying to bring balance to the Force, he's still, according to this theory, inadvertently in some way helping the galaxy out. In some twisted way Luke Skywalker and Yoda and crew should all be pleased that tons of people are dead because this "fixes" the Force.

I don't like this version of Force balance because it assumes that Jedi complacency is the cause of the imbalance, or a factor in that. I agree with that logic, but only to the smallest of degrees. From my standpoint, I feel all of the Jedi were at a crossroads by TPM. Jinn represented one of those Jedi, along with Dooku and the rest. However, I don't believe Jinn or Dooku had decided, at any point, that the only way to save the Jedi was to put them in direct danger. I don't think it was the Force's will that they deliberately doom themselves and subsequently millions of innocent people -- it's all just part of the effect.

4. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    Qui-gon ws not in league with dooku.

5. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    Qui-Gon, Sifo-Dias, and Dooku thought alike. They all were maverick Jedi who disagreed with the council many times. However, Qui-Gon and Sifo-Dias never turned evil like Dooku did.

6. Lank_Pavail

Lank_Pavail Jedi Knight star 7

Sep 26, 2002
    Jinn might have been a maverick, but in many ways, he was a far better Jedi for it. Blindly following who's in charge isn't always the way to go. I'm not saying he was wiser than the Council, but he thought for himself, which isn't a bad thing. :)

7. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    Qui-Gon was a maverick yes, but he was no Sith. Qui-Gon didn't want the thousands to die that would die due to Skywalker's training. He correctly thought Anakin would bring balance but, I don't think he understood the long route he would take.

The Sith cannot be the heroes. The only Sith who ends up a hero in the movies is Vader and he's a tragic hero which he only reaches when he is no longer a Sith Lord. Darth Sidious is a hero in no way.

I also don't think the Jedi are the cause of the imbalance that is something I'd attribute to the Sith.

8. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    There of the same ideological train of thought but Dooku turned to the Darkside. Dooku loved his apprentice, that much is true, and Qui-Gons death couldve been a reason that Dooku left the Jedi, amongst other reasons.

9. starwarsofthesouth

starwarsofthesouth Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 25, 2005
    Qui-Gon is my favorite jedi. I would cry. (well, not really, but you know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.