main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Qui-Gon Jinn should have been replaced solely by Obi-Wan?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by BoromirsFan, Dec 10, 2015.

1. IG Lancer

IG Lancer Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 8, 2015
    I like Qui-Gonn Jinn part. However, I would have liked it better if Obi-wan were older. In just two decades he went from being a handsome, athletic man who looked no older than 30 in ROTS to looking like he was 80 in ANH. It looked as if he were aging at double rate than a normal human being.

jeangreyforever likes this.
  2. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    Qui-Gonn is the best jedi in the entire PT. he's the only one who actually realizes that their code is a pile of crap.

The idea I always thought was interesting was the combining of Qui-Gonn Dooku. So Qui-Gonn wouldn't die at the end of TPM and instead would eventually join the separatists (but maybe not as a Sith like Dooku... and maybe not aware of Sidious). Something like that could have been used to make Anakin's conflict really interesting

3. Heroic BB-8

Heroic BB-8 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    i absolutely adore Liam Neeson and that's only a part of why i also love Qui Gon. he's one of the most effective characters in the whole of the prequel trilogy, second only to Palpatine and, perhaps, Obi Wan.
    however
    i'm all for the notion of rolling him into Obi Wan. not only are his characterization and role just how Old Ben described his younger self, this would strengthen Obi Wan and Anakin's relationship, in addition to giving Obi Wan more to do in TPM (wherein his role was muted practically to the point of being superfluous).

4. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    I don't think my heart could withstand Anakin slicing off Qui-Gon's hands and scissoring his head off ala Dooku. I'm perfectly content with his heroic role.

5. Collin Tongue

Collin Tongue Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 8, 2016
    I absolutely disagree that Mr. Jinn shouldn't have been the focus, he was awesome! Such a great actor playing him too, Liam rocked. He was one of the few highlights of the Phantom Menace(imho) along with Obi, and Darth Maul and the Emperor.

Huttese 101 likes this.
  6. IG Lancer

IG Lancer Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 8, 2015
    Nah, Qui-Gonn Jinn would either leave Dooku or be killed by him long before that. He wouldn't take part in the Separatists' massacres.

7. PHIERY

PHIERY Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2009
    Well said. I've always thought if the Jedi were more open and allowed someone with Qui-Gon's maverick style to be on the council, the Jedi order wouldn't have been so blind and may have survived.

8. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    I think Qui-Gon should've been Anakin's father not only because I don't buy that Shmi got herself pregnant without any "secondary help", but it would further drive the attachment storyline. To have Anakin be separated from his mother and lose his father at an early age is what caused him to develop his fear of loss and his attachment to Padme. Also, maybe Qui-Gon and Obi-wan shouldn't be master and apprentice, but as 2 Jedi knights working together on a mission to the point where they land on Tatooine just like in the movie.

9. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    I do not know if Qui-Gon should have been completely replaced by Obi-Wan. The ideal way would be for Qui-Gon to show up in a few scenes counseling Obi-Wan and Anakin, and that's about it.

10. Warren Moonwalker

Warren Moonwalker Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 30, 2015
    they didn't need him but he didn't mess up the story. it made obi-wan look even more unfit to train anakin; the fact he was still a padawan himself

11. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    "Qui-Gon Jinn should have been replaced solely by Obi-Wan?"

That´s what Mike Stoklasa told you. He never hold Lucas´s ideals, he though he should have someone else make the PT and not got involved.
    Or at least to make PT the way some fans wanted and not the way Lucas wanted.

Torib, AshiusX and darklordoftech like this.
  12. Darth Dementor

Darth Dementor Jedi Master star 2

Dec 19, 2015
    No. I thought it was important to show Obi Wan wasn't always a master. He started out as a Padawan like everybody else.

AshiusX likes this.
  13. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    No. Qui Gon served his role perfectly, even though I wanted more of him.

Though, I would have loved to have Obi-Wan do a bit more.

AshiusX and ObiWanKnowsMe like this.
  14. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    i think he was just there to show that had he been able to train Anakin, that he probably would've never became Vader

15. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Yawn. It's a tired argument that people repeat without thinking of the implications, or even how it would better serve the story. But yeah, let's take out one of the most memorable characters of the prequels played excellently by a veteran actor. I wonder, do self-proclaimed film critics think that idiots made the movie? In early production, the movie was solely about Obi-Wan, but that changed when the story called for a different type of character to drive the story and put the events of the saga into motion.

16. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    This. As close as Anakin and Obi-Wan's relationship became, I don't think he ever understood Anakin like Qui-Gon did. QCJ was very much the father that Anakin had never had (despite Anakin's statement to Obi-Wan in AOTC).

17. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Qui-Gon is perfecy fine as is. I wouldn't have done anything differently with Qui-Gon, but I would have had Obi-Wan come around to Qui-Gon's views as the movie goes on, ultimately agreeing with Qui-Gon after Qui-Gon dies.

AshiusX and Huttese 101 like this.
  18. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Disagree. I think that would have made the dramatic tension between Anakin and Obi-Wan greatly lessened.

19. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    BTW, one of the main reasons I think TPM is important (and I include it in my machete order) is Qui-Gonn. Qui-Gonn is the main reason we know that much of the Jedi code is a pile of crap

AshiusX and darklordoftech like this.
  20. Huttese 101

Huttese 101 Sam Witwer Enthusiast star 7

Jan 19, 2016
    Obi-Wan could've stood to have a more central role in TPM, but Qui-Gon's character and his role in the movie are perfect. I agree that I wouldn't change a thing either. If he seems too similar to an older Obi-Wan from ANH, it's because, after all, Obi-Wan was his Padawan learner. And that line about Yoda being the Jedi Master who trained Obi-Wan from ESB has already been retconned some time ago, since all Jedi younglings are apparently trained by Yoda at some point. Qui-Gon is also the only true maverick Jedi we see in the films, and as far as I know or can tell, he's the only Jedi Master who stressed the importance of the Living Force over the Unifying Force. He offered us a "different point of view."

He also discovered that vergence in the Force, when all the other more by-the-book masters were too close-minded to recognize it...

Ezon Pin likes this.
  21. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    No because Qui-Gon is awesome, imo.

AshiusX, Dagobahsystem and Ezon Pin like this.
  22. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    The relationship between Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan is, to me, the model Master-Padawan relationship. Qui-Gon is a wonderful teacher and Obi-Wan becomes a great Jedi as a result of his teachings. It is by watching Qui-Gon teaching and by watching the Knight who Obi-Wan becomes that I see the best of the Jedi Order, which I think we wouldn't have seen so clearly had they been combined into a single character.

23. Too-Gon Onbourbon

Too-Gon Onbourbon Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 23, 2016
    As he was one of the better parts of Phantom, I wouldn't delete him or drastically reduce his role but I think a little amendment to him and Obi-Wan would have tightened up the continuity better.

I'd have had Obi-Wan be a fledgling knight who's master was Yoda and Qui-Gon be a master acting as friend, mentor, and companion through adventures. Just a little modification that allows Kenobi to be a little older while keeping things in line with the OT a little better.

I'd give Obi-Wan more interaction with Anakin and have him taking on Anakin closer to a place of arrogance that he could as barely a knight himself that could do as well or better training him as either his master or his mentor rather than as it actually played out as more of an honor bound duty to his fallen master, honoring his final wish.

I'd even make this a point of conflict between our pair of Jedi. Perhaps even the cause of Jinn's death through tragic accident/error, creating a sad tension between the two moving forward as well as lifelong guilt for each man individually.

24. astronaut23

astronaut23 Jedi Master star 2

Jan 9, 2005
    I loved the character Qui-Gon Jinn I wouldn't want him removed from the film at all. He's one of the reasons the TPM has become my fav movie of the PT.

AshiusX likes this.
  25. AniLukeRey

AniLukeRey Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 6, 2016
    The first time I ever saw TPM, I may have agreed with the fact that he didn't need to be there. However, now I'm absolutely 100% in love with how the story played out regarding Qui-gon, Obi-wan, and Anakin. And I'm thrilled that George Lucas made the movies he wanted to make, instead of having to streamline everything. Because that makes the story all the more complex and rich. Qui-gon SHOULD have been the one mentoring Anakin. He was older and wiser and fatherly and was open and did his own thing. It felt right that he found Anakin, that Shmi trusted him, and Anakin started a bond with him. Which makes it all the more tragic that he died. Now Obi-wan, who never would have found Anakin and mentored him, now gets saddled with this young boy, who, for better or worse, changes his life, and his afterlife. I don't know, I think its just so much richer this way.

Valiowk likes this.