main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Qui-Gon Jinn: the one chosen to discover the Chosen One

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Ananta Chetan, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Ananta Chetan

Ananta Chetan Force Ghost star 5

Aug 11, 2013
    Why was Qui-Gon selected by the Force to find Anakin? What particular perspective and skills did he bring to such a task that made him the proper choice? Also what was the possible connection between this and his discovering the path of immortality and teaching it to others?

[​IMG]

darth ladnar and JediKnightOB1 like this.
  2. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    The easy answer: He's freaking Liam Neeson.

The in-universe answer: More tough to say. We know he was one of the greatest of those who followed the Living Force idea, and some of his ideals kept him at odds with the Jedi Council. I see him as the epitome of the Old Jedi Order, maybe it could only have been him.

3. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    ^Indeed, Qui-Gon was a maverick amongst the Jedi, and it was a rare instance for a Jedi to act out in such ways. By following his instincts and trusting the Force above all, Qui-Gon located the chosen one, and made the decision to bring him before the Jedi.

I believe Qui-Gon had partial training beforehand when it came to his immortality. I definitely believe there's a connection when it comes to Qui-Gon's personality. He was a lot more open to new ideas, and prone to bending the rules. Ironically, it was his seemingly reckless behavior that lead him to immortality (as well as the ability to teach others).

4. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Qui Gon Jinn was quite different than the other PT Jedi, he's not that stubborn and trusted Anakin when he was a "nobody", even Padme and Obi Wan didn't have much trust in him.

minnishe likes this.
  5. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Well because:
    [​IMG]

6. TheChosenSolo

Dec 9, 2011
    I believe I answered that already. :cool:

7. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    In my mind, the two are absolutely connected. Qui-Gon's decision to be an outlier in his approach to the Force, likely sacrificing some attention that could be used on honing combat skills and focusing instead on the essence of the living force and learning its nuances possibly cost him his life. However, he is the embodiment of the triumph of the spirit and the mind over the body and the weapon, a different breed of Jedi than any of his peers.

I also think that his independent streak can be partially accredited to Dooku - while Anakin bolted the Order after only 12-13 years, Dooku spent the majority of his life adhering to a code, and was pragmatic enough to realize, that late in life, that it no longer made sense to him and it was time to change course. Not that many people out there spend 40+ years working for one company, only to quit one day and start working for their competitors, to place it in our own world.

Iron_lord likes this.
  8. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    Obi-Wan should have found Anakin IMO.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  9. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    Here me out before you hate.

Jar Jar was the chosen one. If he wouldn't have gone along with Uncle Palpy's scheme, he could have brought balance to the Force.

10. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Qui Gon's defiance = not a narrow minded & dogmatic Jedi.

That's why and what made him the perfect man for the job(s).

11. Rvaj

Rvaj Jedi Youngling

Mar 16, 2014
    Qui-Gon discovers Anakin, but later dies before he gives any real training to him. Does anyone ever wonder that if Qui-Gon didn't die, Anakins teachings would be different, and thus not be succumb by the Dark side?

12. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012
    As others have said, I believe it was his trusting in the Living Force. Remember that Qui Gonn corrects a young Obi Wan about concentrating on the Living Force, and not getting caught up in the future (going against Yoda's teachings). Qui Gonn's answer even explains that the living force is the here and now, what's going on in the force at that moment. That you don't use the force to look into the future at the expense of the moment (living force).

13. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Is there a prophecy about the Chooser of the Chosen One?

MiWa likes this.
  14. Obi-yoda

Obi-yoda Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 10, 2014
    I don't think so... but it would be interesting if there was.
    [​IMG]

15. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

Oh please! I do get tired of these comments that try to place the blame of Palpatine's rise on Jar Jar. He merely played a small part. There were others . . . including Anakin, Padme, the Jedi, the Senate, Count Dooku, Sifo-Dyas and the Republic at large.

The person who mainly responsible is Palpatine.

16. TheChosenSolo

Dec 9, 2011
    Technically, the blame falls on
    Hego Damask.

Obi-yoda likes this.
  17. Ananta Chetan

Aug 11, 2013
    [face_laugh] What if the Chooser and the Chosen One are fundamentally in essence the same?

I_am_Kooky and JediKnightOB1 like this.
  18. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    Do you get jokes?

19. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Like when Bush tapped Cheney to find him a vice presidential candidate?

darth ladnar likes this.
  20. Ananta Chetan

Aug 11, 2013
    Possibly. ;)

Now since watching TCW finale, I can somehow imagine the disembodied spirit of Qui-Gon silently observing the celebration scene at the end of ROTJ and the deep since of satisfaction and fulfillment he must experience to finally see his initial feelings about Anakin come to fruition.

21. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Please, please, please, no more choosing!

zompusbite and Ananta Chetan like this.
  22. Ananta Chetan

Aug 11, 2013
    I choose decide to Like MOC Yak Face's post.

:p

darth ladnar and MOC Yak Face like this.
  23. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    I believe that this is the real meaning behind the "Duel of the Fates," and why that piece of music is so much more intense than anything Williams had written for Star Wars up until that point. The fight between Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, and Darth Maul seems relatively simple (good guys meet bad guy, they fight), but the fate of the cosmos literally hangs in the balance, because that duel determines Anakin's future.

I adore Obi-Wan. He did the best he could. But he was too young and too by-the-book a Jedi to be the father and mentor Anakin needed. I don't blame Obi-Wan for Anakin's fall whatsoever; Anakin was an adult at that point, and I truly do think Obi-Wan did the best he could. But I agree that if Qui-Gon had survived to train him, Anakin's fate would have been far different.

zompusbite and darth ladnar like this.
  24. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    The interesting thing there, if we go with the assumptions in this thread about Qui-Gon's personality being important, is that it suggests Maul managed to derail the will of the Force - or at least of the light side.

25. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    he wasn't selected. it just happened. the hyperdrive was leaking and tatooine was the closest system. fate.