main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Qui Gon Slicing Thru The Door With His Lightsaber - What Did You Think?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by YodasClass, Jun 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ardens_Furore

Ardens_Furore Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 2001
    I thought that it would be a hard visual effect to reproduce.

2. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    I love the scene. First really great scene of TPM. Qui rocks and I love the look on his face and it will be the first time the "Force" theme will be used in the saga (if watched Ep I through VI). Sweeeet.

3. Maxadamian

Maxadamian Jedi Youngling star 1

May 16, 2002
    When I first saw the seen I was like Dude thats just awesome then I bursted out in laughter when the Jedi ran and the Droids took out the door

4. 800-pound_ewok

800-pound_ewok Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 2, 2002
    one of the best scenes in the entire SW saga!

cheers!

5. Saberist

Saberist Jedi Youngling star 1

May 28, 2003
    1. Loved the Scene Hated The Preceding one.
    The spinning decapitation bit (taking your blade out of guard, to be 'deliberately fancy' without changing _body plane_ against a numerically superior force) was a bit hackneyed and the restricted perspectives just from the side rather than (say by employing an artificial ceiling cutaway) above or '3rd person=3/4 high' camera POV's didn't give the full depth of field perspective and thus limited any appreciation for the /accuracy/ of blaster bolt-blocking I was hoping for.

Also, knowing a wee bit about poison gas, I have to wonder at not ditching the saturated clothing AND the externally contaminated breathers (if not the exposed skin problem altogeher, the yellow color makes me think of some of the WWI nastiness like Chlorine and Phosgene which are /terrible/ blister agents).

2. I enjoyed the basics and implied secondary difficulty factors.
    I timed it once and it was like 9-11 seconds for the first cut and about a total of 20-21 for the full sequence. That's fast enough for my 'belief ratio' on RHA battleship-turret level armor.

It's also pretty clear to me that either there is some kind of containment field polar on the blade which must be (Jedi or internal generator oscillator?) 'twisted' /just so/ to release whatever energy is inherent to the linear string or other spatial distortion which causes 'the glow' around what I think is actually a much narrower core cutting surface.

You get a hint of this by the way Quigon kind of 'angles in' to the door which I would also expect to be a clever way to avoid releasing so much casting-flaw oxygen into the suddenly molten material as to bubble out firey droplets in your face. Good detail there.

3. I DID NOT like the way Obiwan dealt with the Droideka's. Shields or 'know', it was clear that the Destroyers had more firepower than he could deal with and so, while giving his Master a "Heads up, I'm leaving cover position" warning was okay, he should have definitely been more proactive in MOVING UP to take the droids down while they were still in wheel mode. Or perhaps considered pushing them hard enough to see if he could tip them over onto an unshielded back like legs-up rolly pollies.

Shock of Contact baby, just sitting there waiting to be shot at doesn't say much for the vaunted Jedi-Force event precog OR warrior spirit.

4. I WISH they would include this ability in a GAME!
    Seriously, it's clear that (unlike Kyle Katarn for instance) there are some serious and real limitations to both muscle twitch speed and skeletal articulation in deflecting multiple inbound blaster bolts and particularly if you are suddenly prescient aware of facing a big bunch of Sith/Clone/Imp troops coming down a hallway, how hard could it be to just move up or down a level (even across into a cabin, office or whatever) while leaving behind a little area denial surprise to anybody tempted to stick his head into the guillotine?

Sure beats taking on a 10 man squad or 30-50 man platoon in 'Pure Soloian Fashion' and would also help the sense of environmental realness through positive effect interaction with same.

Saberist.

6. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    Sometimes I still do get chills when I see that scene. It was the first one that really told me "wow, this is a Star Wars film."

I also remember McCallum saying we would see the way lightsabers were meant to be used in TPM. That scene really shows it.

7. AssassinDroid21

AssassinDroid21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    Every time I see that scene I wish Qui Gon would just move that lightsaber a tad faster, then they'd be in with Gunray and end the whole mess before it began. But then we'd have no movie, so I guess I'll just take what I got.

8. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    I also remember McCallum saying we would see the way lightsabers were meant to be used in TPM. That scene really shows it.

It does?

Lightsabers were MEANT to open doors?

;)

Rick McCallum loves doorknobs!

9. Dark_Rogue

Dark_Rogue Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 1, 2003
    I liked this scene, if you think about it, everyone (but jedi) use blaster, which are laser. These doors were made to keep blasters out, we are talking heavy blaster fire, mass bombardment, so the lightsaber was kinda cutting thru it like butter in relative terms

10. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    That was a great scene...

11. Gwas

Gwas Jedi Master star 2

Dec 13, 2000
    Saberist - I just cannot let that post go without comment. [face_plain]

I thought that I "really" watched these movies and that I caught all of the little nuances and details that others missed.

It now seems like I've only been enjoying the pretty colours and the nice music. [face_blush]

<Salute> :p

12. Falls_the_Shadow

Falls_the_Shadow Jedi Youngling star 3

May 31, 2002

Lord_Hydronium wrote:

I love the brief statement of the Force theme in this scene, and in fact all the music for this particular part.

Had Qui-Gon been able to get through and use aggressive negotiations, the invasion never would have happened, the Trade Federation would have been forced to leave (Gunray would be too much of a coward against two Jedi), with the crisis over Palpatine never would have got his chance to call for a vote of no confidence, he wouldn't have come to power, and Anakin would never have been found.

Essentially, in this moment the entire saga is decided, and two droidekas manage to set the whole thing in motion.

[face_shocked] Thank you for that observation. The Force theme seemed out of place to me previously because it did not appear to connect to the Skywalkers in any obvious way, but now I can see that the balance of the Force hung on Qui-Gon?s lightsaber. Doubtless if Gunray had been caught, he would have revealed his alliance with Darth Sidious, the bigger Sith fish.

As for my reaction for the scene: :cool: ?A weapon of a more civilized age.?

13. Dark_Rogue

Dark_Rogue Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 1, 2003
    3. I DID NOT like the way Obiwan dealt with the Droideka's. Shields or 'know', it was clear that the Destroyers had more firepower than he could deal with and so, while giving his Master a "Heads up, I'm leaving cover position" warning was okay, he should have definitely been more proactive in MOVING UP to take the droids down while they were still in wheel mode. Or perhaps considered pushing them hard enough to see if he could tip them over onto an unshielded back like legs-up rolly pollies.

While it would be prudent for Obi-Wan to move up to take out the threat, you have to remeber that the Jedi do not take the aggresive path, there for the allow the enemy to come to them and then deal with the problem. this was part of their downfall. We always see Luke attacking, because he was trained as a spear to pierce the Empire. But back in TPM days, Jedi were much different. Something to keep in mind when you wonder about Jedi actions

14. Falls_the_Shadow

Falls_the_Shadow Jedi Youngling star 3

May 31, 2002
    In TPM, two droids (Droidekas) help the Dark Side just like R2 and C3PO aide the Light Side in ANH.

30 seconds more of Qui-Gon using the lightsaber as a blowtorch would have been the end of the saga.

A trigger-happy Imp using the "empty" escape pod as target practice or the discovery of the droids before the pod landed would mean the end of the OT.

Catching the Droidekas before they "unroll" would be a good plan, but 1) in the films, it is unclear whether Kenobi has ever seen this type of battle droid and 2) he is just a padawan learner at this point, so it is not out of character for him to miss this strategy.

That Vader did not melt the blast door in ANH is not a contradiction because there was not enough time for the saber to melt the door. More importantly, as we later learn, he wanted the Falcon to escape so its homing beacon would lead the Imps to the true rebel base.

15. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    I always thought Qui-Gon looked a bit odd . . . like he was constipated. (sorry :p )

I did like the scene, however. Lightsabers in action = :cool: .

16. Delorean_Kenobi

Delorean_Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Mar 14, 2003
    It looked great. I thought it was one of the coolest moments in the film.

17. Qui-Gon-Jinn2

Qui-Gon-Jinn2 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 10, 2002
    It was by far the most disgusting and pointless scene in cinematic history. The acting was poor, the effect was poor, and the musical score was pathetic. I demand a apology from Lucas and all those involved w/ this scene. (Glares)....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.