main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Qui-Gons distraction

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by emporergerner, Oct 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emporergerner

emporergerner Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2005
    I know Jedi are'nt supposed to have disrtactions. But don't you think that the councils decision not to train Anakin could have thrown Qui-Gon off his game against Darth Maul.

What are your thoughts.

2. cymbalmonkey

cymbalmonkey Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 10, 2005
    that's a very interesting thought, something i've never even considered ... possibly ... it is interesting that Maul was powerful enough to take out a Jedi Master, whom Obi-Wan claimed should be on the council, but was defeated by a reckless Padawan learner ... but maybe Obi-Wan was just lucky? ...

But if Qui-Gon was distracted by Anakin's future, he would be a hypocrite after repromanding Obi-Wan earlier in the film for being distracted by the future and not having his mind on the present ... for someone whose philosophy so strongly follows the Living Force, and focusing on the moment, it wouldn't make sense for Qui-Gon to suddenly abandon that philosophy, especially when it could cost him his life (which it did) and the life of his Padawan ...

3. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    Qui Gon was just fatigued and Maul was a strong and energetic young warrior who happened to score a lucky hit. I hardly think that, as Qui Gon faced the first sith to be encountered in a millenia in an epic lightsaber battle while an entire planet waged war, he was thinking "boy, that really ticks me right off that Yoda and Mace would train Anakin, lousy no good---" and is then stabbed. Qui Gon strikes me as someone who puts all of their attention at the matter at hand.

4. JEDY

JEDY Jedi Knight star 5

May 26, 2005
    I have this thread : The "Why Qui-Gon realistically lost to Maul" discussion thread . (couldn't link it because my links aren't working right now)

5. Tyson

Tyson Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 8, 2005
    Can't we just accept that Maul was a superb duelist. But since that is boring thinking lets not. Hmm...I guess it is possible that Qui-Gon wasn't thinking straight, and was indeed distracted. I mean why would he allow himself to be lured into the ray shields. Shouldn't he have been able to sense that Obi-Wan Kenobi was on his way back to join him and they could have killed Maul together? Or was Qui-Gon being cocky, and underestimating his opponent?

6. DARTHLLAMA465

DARTHLLAMA465 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 29, 2005
    now this is my kind of thread!Hmmmmmmmmmmmm... maybe you guys are right.though I never thought of it that way![face_thinking] ([face_beatup])

7. Mace_Windolene

Mace_Windolene Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2005
    Maul trained to kill Jedi his whole life. That's all he did.

Qui-Gon and Kenobi trained to face opponents with blasters, and I'm sure combat was only a small part of a Jedi's training at the time.

Face facts people - Maul was simply a superior fighter.

8. IBO-NAW-NAYAS

IBO-NAW-NAYAS Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 13, 2005
    Though Maul is a supreme fighter with lightsabres I don't think that he is more powerful than Qui-Gon if he got beat by young Obi.
    I know that Obi winning was mostly because of luck and Maul being cocky but Qui-Gon is an awsome jedi that is awsome with the force and i think if he concentrated he should have beat Maul. Before i thought Maul just got lucky, and was much more fit for the fight, but now that i think of it Qui-Gon who usualy concentrates on the matter at hand might have been distracted indeed. He cared alot for young anakin, and even though he doesn't use the force to see in to the future often that doesn't mean he never does. He just perferd not to. So maybe after the council rejecting anakin he was very woried and tried to look into what might become of anakin and saw that he was going to turn very dark. So now i think he lost because his mind wasn't at the matter at hand like it usualy is. He was the first to fight a sith in over a millenia, the world outside was at war, and this new boy he cared much about was being rejected by the council and he might have been seeing what was the outcome of anakins life.

9. Mace_Windolene

Jun 16, 2005
    What do you think Qui-Gon was doing while he was waiting for the ray shields to drop?

Looked to me like he was meditating. Now, would he be meditating on Anakin's fate (which is not in his character), or would he be FOCUSING ON STRATEGIES TO BEAT MAUL? [face_thinking]

10. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    It's not so hard to accept that Maul simply outclassed Qui-Gon. I think the problem most people have is that Maul turned around and was killed by a Padawan, but realistically, Maul was better than both of them. If you can't see that, watch the duel again and pay attention to how skilled Maul is. Qui-Gon's death pushed Obi-Wan over the edge temporarily, and that rage and focus helped him, but he was still an inferior fighter than Maul. If they had become seperated with Qui-Gon on the outside, Maul would have killed Obi-Wan in a few seconds, and Qui-Gon may have killed Maul after that.

In Qui-Gon's defense, I do think that he was off his game. He was perplexed by the Trade Federations actions, he was upset at the Council for refusing Anakin, he was concerned about Anakin's future, probably feeling a little guilty about dumping Obi-Wan rather unexpectedly, and was trying to figure out if his opponent was truly a Sith, who he was working with, and how that affected the Queen and the treaty.

11. Mace_Windolene

Jun 16, 2005
    Totally agree with the above.

Seriously doubt that.

He may have been thinking all that, but I doubt it while he was actually fighting. A Jedi Master (especially one of Qui-Gon's calibre) would not let things distract him when so much is at stake.

Given a huge stretch of imagination, I may be able to think that he was distracted at the start of the fight, but definitely not after his little meditation (unless he's a far inferior Jedi Master than I thought).

12. Darth_Spartan

Darth_Spartan Jedi Youngling star 2

May 16, 2005
    A Jedi Master such as Qui-Gon Jinn does NOT let distractions bother him in a fight.

Simple fact: Maul was the better duelist.

13. emporergerner

emporergerner Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2005
    I agree a Jedi like Qui-Gon should not be distracted.

But the Jedi not going to train the chosen one don't you think that would be somewhat on his mind.

I think when he meditates during the battle he's trying to focus back on the fight.

14. DarthMateous

DarthMateous Jedi Master star 4

Aug 1, 2002
    I don't think he was distracted. He had just meditated (when the shields separated him from Maul) to enhance his focus. According to the Novelization, Qui-Gon was in his 60's. Maul was probably half-his age. And the book also says that Qui-Gon was wearing down from fatigue. Simple as that. He was tired. Maul took advantage of that.

15. Lank_Pavail

Lank_Pavail Jedi Knight star 7

Sep 26, 2002
    I seriously doubt Jinn was distracted either. He was a man who tended to live in the now, the whole 'Living Force' deal. I believe he was centered entirely on the battle at hand, simply because if he failed, Maul could undo all the rest of the plans easily. He and Kenobi had to defeat Maul.

One must also give him credit for faring as well as he did. Look at how well so-called 'sabermasters' Kolar, Tiin, and Fisto did facing Sidious. To say nothing fo Trebor. :p

16. TheCRZA

TheCRZA Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2005
    No. Qui Gon didn't have any game against Maul.
    The Council could have allowed Anakin's training, repainted Qui Gon's apartment, and done his taxes and he still would have lost to Maul.

17. BrideofVader

BrideofVader Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 18, 2005
    Qui Gon failed because it was necessary for the plot of the entire Saga.

18. Anakins_girl007

Anakins_girl007 Jedi Youngling

Oct 3, 2005
    I Qui-Gon was not the type to be distracted Maul got the lucky hit when he knocked Qui-Gon off his balance. That's when he striked. Darth Maul was all to cocky and Obi-Wan won the duelc because he was pis*** and his adrenalin (however you spell that) was running fast. I've wom many fights that I've gotten into because I got mad enough and they pushed me to far Maul pushed Obi way to far.

19. Mr_Fantastic

Mr_Fantastic Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 5, 2004
    The light side of the Force is so protective about Obi-Wan that he dies only when he wishes. He even makes Sidious wonder if there is luck in the galaxy.

As for Qui-Gon, he knew he was going to die. He meditated to perform the Shaman preparation procedure of the Whills for becoming one with the Force...thus maintaining your control. The Jedi finally learned the pathway to immortality, long known to the ancient, but not new Sith : Ajunta Pall, Marka Ragnos, Naga Sadow, etc.

Makes you wonder if the Jedi had become Sith. Obi-Wan and Yoda did that in the OT.
    Or perhaps it's most likely a universal power.

Anyway, back on topic: The reason why Jinn is unable to obtain a physical shape is due to the lack of time for preparation.

OB1 had 20 years or so. Yoda as well. So Qui-Gon is just a voice, and those two are even more.

The point is, Qui-Gon prepared to die. He knew it was the will of the Force. It was not Darth Maul's luck. Neither it was Obi-Wan's later.

There is no luck in the SW Universe, there is only the Force.

Or so I have come to believe.

20. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    I don't think QG was distracted by the Council's decision. Maul was just that good.

What I like is the symbolism in DOTF. The Sith Apprentice vs. The Padawan Learner. It shows us that good will win in the end. A theme reiterated many times in the SW Saga.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.