main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Qui-Gon's failure concerning Anakin: Not being mindful of the future in that Anakin was dangerous!

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Darth Sin, May 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Sin

Darth Sin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 14, 1999
    It has been said that now we will not see Qui-Gon in ROTS. If this is true, I am disappointed to some degree because of his role concerning one retaining their identity after death.

But anyway, on the subject at hand. Now with us at the doors of the release of ROTS, and looking back to the two previous films, I focused on something about Qui-Gon from TPM.

In the very beginning of TPM, Obi-Wan says to Qui-Gon that Yoda said he must be mindful of the future, whereas Qui-Gon saysbut not at the expense of the moment.

Later on after Anakin has been brought before the Council, Obi-Wan tells Qui-Gon that Anakin is dangerous, and they, the Council all see it. Qui-Gon says of Anakin, "His future is uncertain, but he is not dangerous"

So what am I saying, though Qui-Gon was right about staying focused on the moment, when it came to Anakin, he focused so on the present that he failed to recognize and be mindful of the future, and in this case, Anakin's future.

Though Obi-Wan did need to focus on the present, and the moment, he was able to be mindful of the future, and he sensed Anakin's future, and that he(would be)was dangerous.

Qui-Gon at that time was so focused on the moment and the present that he was only able to see Anakin's present potential, and not his future. Qui-Gon also only at that time saw himself training Anakin, and was not even mindful of the future concerning himself, and I speak of his death. Qui-Gon could only say Anakin's future was "uncertain"(sounds somewhat like Yoda saying Anakin's future is clouded), because he likely was unable to or did not allow himself to see Anakin's future.

Qui-Gon acknowledged the prophecy of the Chosen One, and its fulfillment, but failed to see the future of Anakin the person.

It is great that Qui-Gon discovered the Chosen One, and that he is the first to discover how to retain one's identity after death; but at the same time, Qui-Gon's own not being very mindful of the future(Anakin's), and failed to see that Anakin was dangerous.

Darth Sin! :cool:

2. AmazingDM

AmazingDM Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 2, 2001
    If it weren't for Qui-Gon finding Anakin,

the Emperor would still have taken over, all the Jedi would be dead and the Empire would still be here

3. arthurclavin2

arthurclavin2 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 27, 2003
    ...he focused so on the present that he failed to recognize and be mindful of the future, and in this case, Anakin's future.

It wasn't Qui-Gon's failure. He understood the importance of not neglecting a child simply because his future was "uncertain" or even "dangerous." The Council failed by disregarding Anakin and allowing him to be caught up with the influence of Palpatine. Unmonitored. Palpatine was feeding him the fateful "power" mantra and they didn't even see it.

AC2

4. CrazySaber

CrazySaber Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 4, 2004
    Yeah, Qui-Gon saved everybody. If Anakin hadn't been trained, then Count Dooku would still be the Emperor's right-hand man, so everything would have gone pretty much the same, but he wouldn't have thrown The Emperor over the ledge.

5. noble1

noble1 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 17, 2002
    Qui-Gon realized that one can not truly see all the details of a person let alone their future. Anakin does bring balance to the force. The way things are at the start of TPM are far too far on the Jedi's side. Qui-Gon didn't "defy" the council, he simply stayed alert and didn't hold on (even yoda says later to "unlearn what you have learned").

Qui-Gon succeeded greatly. In the end, Anakin brought down the emperor.

On a side note, anyone notice how nobody can kill a Sith without going somewhat dark (even obi-wan showed much anger in TPM). Anakin had to cloak himself in the darkside to overcome Sidious

6. Xyber_Hex

Xyber_Hex Jedi Master star 4

Jan 3, 2004
    Wrong, if the other jedi were more concerned with the moment then they would not have kept Anakin so distant and put so much load on him.
    The others were too wrapped up in the future.

7. Darth Sin

Oct 14, 1999
    Let me be clear that I am not saying that what transpires with Anakin is Qui-Gon's fault. That is not what I am saying or presenting here.

I am only saying that Qui-Gon failed to acknowledge that Anakin was potentially dangerous. I think he could not acknowledge that Anakin's future had danger written all over it, but in his own defiance, he thought as long as he trained Anakin, any possibility of danger concerning Anakin he could eliminate it.

Qui-Gon is to be acknowledged greatly for discovering Anakin, but his desire for Anakin to be trained, and of course he was thinking of himself, that he could not see the future just ahead of him.

In those moments before he died, he declared to Obi-Wan that he must train Anakin. Without being mindful of the future, and only the present, he then turned Anakin over to Obi-Wan.

8. Obilieveinme

Obilieveinme Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 27, 2005
    The jedi treated him as an entity not a human being. He wasn't normal and never felt so.

9. noble1

May 17, 2002
    Darth Sin, you are applying an ideal of good and bad on this. It is possible, from a certain point of view, that the danger was not danger. Anakin tore down the corrupted jedi order and then through aside the sith lord. He brought balance. Danger... fear...

10. Darth Kruel

Darth Kruel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    Qui-Gon Jinn's basic focus was the moment, because the moment is the most important tense. We're always in the moment, so the past and the future is of no consequence. No Jedi could have looked into the future and saw what was to transpire with Anakin. Even Yoda tried and couldn't do this.

With Anakin, he had himself in the moment(struggles with attaining knighthood), the past(letting go of his mother), and his future with Padme(marrying her and becoming very attached), which all contributed to his giant fall.

Maybe there are Jedi who know the future. But certainly no one sitting on the High Jedi Council, or even Obi-1 and Qui-Gon could have seen what was to come.

11. THEFORCEROCKS

THEFORCEROCKS Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 23, 2004
    I am only saying that Qui-Gon failed to acknowledge that Anakin was potentially dangerous. I think he could not acknowledge that Anakin's future had danger written all over it, but in his own defiance, he thought as long as he trained Anakin, any possibility of danger concerning Anakin he could eliminate it.

Yeah agreed I mean there are two sides to the force correct Also I believe Darth-Sinister has a quote from Lucas that said Jinn was both right and wrong about the CHOSEN ONE.

Qui-Gon is to be acknowledged greatly for discovering Anakin, but his desire for Anakin to be trained, and of course he was thinking of himself, that he could not see the future just ahead of him.

Yeah just like he was thinking of himself when he played fate with Watto for Anakin's freedom and was concerned with his midi levels

In those moments before he died, he declared to Obi-Wan that he must train Anakin. Without being mindful of the future, and only the present, he then turned Anakin over to Obi-Wan.

Yeah but Obi-Wan did the best he could do. Wan told him the boy was dangerous well we will find out in ROTS just how dangerous he is.

12. noble1

May 17, 2002
    well put kruel.

13. inzane

inzane Jedi Youngling

Nov 13, 2004
    2 things from my brother and I.

1: I think that Sidious would've still ruled the whole galaxy and would've been in control even past the time of return of the jedi. Without having Anakin and Luke destroying him.

2: My brother thinks that if it wasn't for anakin the empire would've have happened because Mace Windu would've finished off the emperor

14. Jek_Windu

Jek_Windu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 26, 2003
    That's true, Anakin was dangerous, but Qui-Gon made the right decision in pushing for his training for one reason:

As he grew older, Anakin's Force ability grew, traing or no. So eventually, Palpatine would've found and trained him.

Now, completely dark side Anakin unleashed on utterly unsuspecting Jedi who know nothing of him= end od the Jedi, end of the light side

So, Anakin was dangerous to train, but it would've been even worse had he been left to his own devices.

15. Obilieveinme

Obilieveinme Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 27, 2005
    Qui gon so it as an opportunity for something bigger. He felt the jedi were ready to evolve and grow...Anakin was there to lead them

16. asdf13

asdf13 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 12, 2005
    Anakin was dangerous because the Counsel never liked him. Mace treats him like crap, and everyone but Kenobi seems to do the same. Anakin was who he was because he wasn't treated correctly. No compassion, no nothing (which is What Qui Gon teaches Yoda and Kenobi in their "New training."

As Yoda said, the Jedi downfall was is failure. It didn't evolve with the times, and Anakin was a perfect example of someone who needed more (also, Yoda admits times are changing in EP 2 and do nothing).

17. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    The future is always uncertain. Always in motion the future is. So many variables in the choices people make on a day to day basis.

Anakin didn't have to turn to the Dark Side, but ultimately, that's what -he- chose to do.

Ultimately Qui-Gon was right, he did bring balance.

18. Darth Sin

Oct 14, 1999
    I am one to believe that it likely was best if Qui-Gon had winded up training Anakin. Not because Obi-Wan did a poor job, but rather that Qui-Gon was older and more mature, and was a bit defiant himself.

The task of training the Chosen One was no small task, especially if you knew very little about what it meant to be the Chosen One, and what the prophecy meant.

Sure Obi-Wan was a great warrior, and defeated a Sith Lord, but that did not mean he was ready to train a padawan, much less the Chosen One.

I agree that Palpatine was going to take over the galaxy irregardless if Anakin had been discovered or not. His plan was in motion before Anakin was even discovered.

It is true that if Anakin had not been trained and sent back to Tatooine, it was only inevitable that Palpatine would have found him, and he would likely have been a more formidable Sith Lord, and maybe even more hatred for the Jedi because they rejected him to be trained.

But getting back to Qui-Gon, he so focused on the moment, and moreso himself in my opinion that he wanted to train Anakin, and was going to take him on as his padawan learner, and let Obi-Wan go. I really think he wanted the privilege of training the Chosen One. But he was so focused on the moment and the present, he could not see or sense that his death was imminent.

In his haste, and soon to die, because he never considered his own death, he turned Anakin over to his padawan learner. There was no guarantee that the Council was going to make Obi-Wan a Jedi Knight, much less allow him to train Anakin, so Qui-Gon in my opinion made a mistake in not requesting that Yoda or Mace Windu train Anakin, if they did not allow Obi-Wan.

Lastly, you have to admit that what Obi-Wan said of Anakin(sensing his future), that he was dangerous turned out to be true, and he became dangerous to himself, Obi-Wan, Padme, the Jedi order and the galaxy. Sure he fulfilled the prophecy in destroying Palpatine, but it was that dangerous part of Anakin that went overlooked, and it cost the Jedi order, for ironically they also failed to deal with the fear that Anakin had and this led to him becoming dangerous.

Edit: Yes Anakin did eventually fulfill the prophecy, but goign down the wrong path caused him to become dangerous in that he went the dark path, of which I do not believe was the Force's designed path. It was Luke who helped him get back on the right path, and then fulfill his destiny as the Chosen One.

19. Atticus

Atticus Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    Qui-Gon's failure concerning Anakin: Not being mindful of the future in that Anakin was dangerous!

Actually it's not Qui-Gon's failure, it is the councils, all they ever focused on was Anakin's future and not the present. If they focused on the present they could have prevented Anakin's fall. However everything that happened happened for a reason. Since the council was unable to operate correctly, they needed to be destroyed.

20. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    Qui-Gon said that while his future was uncertain the boy wasn't dangerous at the moment.

21. asdf13

asdf13 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 12, 2005
    Actually it's not Qui-Gon's failure, it is the councils, all they ever focused on was Anakin's future and not the present. If they focused on the present they could have prevented Anakin's fall. However everything that happened happened for a reason. Since the council was unable to operate correctly, they needed to be destroyed.
    ------------------------

Exactly...

Qui Gon would have been a better master for Anakin. They were very similar, and would relate better. Obi Wan probably could have trained tons of Jedi and they would have been great... But for a Padawan just turned Jedi Knight, he had much to learn himself, and training the chosen one was to much of a task.

22. CDR_Praji

CDR_Praji Jedi Youngling star 2

May 12, 2005
    Qui-Gon's only 'failure' in regards to Anakin is that he happened to get run through with a saber by Darth Maul!

Had Qui-Gon lived to train Anakin, I believe it highly likely that Anakin would not have been seduced by Palpatine.

ONLY Qui-Gon was attuned to the Living Force, while everyone else, including Obi-Wan Kenobi still clung to the traditional Jedi tenets of detachment and dedication to established order. Qui-Gon was mature and flexible enough that he could have instilled those qualities in Anakin. It would have made the whole difference. The Sith Reign of Terror might have died aborning if this were so.

23. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    Sin -- I see where you are coming from but I don't think the movie provides enough substance to really figure this out.

Yoda thought Anakin's future was murky from the jump. Other Jedi sensed fear. They KNEW it was over his mother. All of this in the first few hours of meeting this kid. Yet they NEVER do anything about this as time goes on. Which is ridiculous. So it's hard to put this all on Qui Gon.

But again, the story never develops this point about nakin's future at all. Yoda makes his prediction and it is never re-cisted in TPM or AOTC. One would think it would since Anakin is having dreams about his mother and runs off to Tatooine but not. The Jedi never mention it again.

And I too wish QG was in ROTS. but That's not going to happen. I guess we'll never know how Anakin learned to be a Force ghost.

24. mykillmyers

mykillmyers Jedi Master star 2

Feb 23, 2005
    How long did Qui Gon even know Anakin? Like a week?

25. AdmiralNeeda

AdmiralNeeda Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 15, 2004
    I think Yoda should get the last word on this, at least as to how he addresses this in the novel. Yoda tells Obi-Wan (as the grief strucken former master wishes he had died on Tatooine or earlier) that this was Skywalker's choice - nobody else made him do it. Nobody else is to blame.

It was within Anakin's power to choose better. Nobody else is to blame for the fact that he didn't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.