main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Qui-Gon's failure concerning Anakin: Not being mindful of the future in that Anakin was dangerous!

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Darth Sin, May 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DARTH_CRISPY

DARTH_CRISPY Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 31, 2005
    Nah the Jedi were too worried about the future of the boy, which was uncertain, to the point of it changed the way the dealt with his present and they did not pay attention to the damage they were doing to him.
    The Jedi worried too much about what hadn't happened yet. Listen to Yoda in ESB, he's chastising Luke for always looking to the future, not the present. He knew the mistakes of the Jedi, and it was Qui-gon and Anakin's fall which showed him this.

2. rdwngthirty

rdwngthirty Jedi Youngling

May 5, 2005
    crispy, that is a great insight, never thought of it and it makes perfect sense...they were trying to mold him inot the chosen one instead of trusting the force to be his guide

3. Everloony

Everloony Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 4, 2005
    Qui-Gon, already having problems himself with ego, selfishness and authority figures would have been the worst teacher for Anakin.

Qui-gon had respect for the Council, but the wisdom to see that they were going down a wrong and ultimately dangerous path. He did what they told him to do - you never saw him try to skim the Naboo mission - but felt it necessary to tell them when they were doing something he believed was wrong. Without feedback, any kind of organization goes downhill, fast. You cannnot operate on the ideas of a few, base an institution on extremes. You need balance, and that's what Qui-gon tried to provide.

And I don't think an egotistical, selfish man would go out of his way to free a slave boy on some wasteland of a planet.

Had Qui-Gon not f'ed up and taken Anakin into the Jedi fold, there would have been more Jedi left to face off against Sidious.

Without Anakin, Order 66 would have still gone into effect, and someone else would have scourged the Jedi Temple. Palpatine could have chosen any other apprentice to do that job. If Anakin hadn't been trained as a Jedi, he would have never met Padme, and therefore, Luke and Leia would have never been born. There goes your new hope. And even if Luke had managed to be born, he would not have been able to draw feeling from another Sith Lord as he did with Darth Vader. The series could not have progressed as it did without Anakin.

And why is Qui-gon always being accused for failing in terms of Anakin's training? If anything, you should be blaming Obi-wan. He actually trained the boy, after all.

4. TheLightSide

TheLightSide Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 29, 2005
    [Near crash land on Tatooine]

And the Chosen One appears.

What would you do? Qui-Gon knew that Anakin was the Chosen One. He couldn't just leave him behind for Maul to find and take to Sidious. Now that the Queen's party had landed on Tatooine, Maul was right behind.

So he took him to Coruscant, where things got off to the wrong start, with Mace and Yoda.

The close-minded two.

Did they ever believe Anakin was the Chosen One?

5. millenniumteacher

millenniumteacher Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 11, 2005
    I think if Qui Gon would have lived Anakin would have been better off. He would have steered him in the right direction. He had a way with words. Obi Wan was a great mentor but he was real green when he took on his first Padawan, Anakin, and therefore he was still learning himself.

6. Aatiyki

Aatiyki Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2002
    In my opinion, the part where Qui-gon messed up is when he died. He needed to be the one there training and guiding Anakin, not Obi-wan. Granted, I am very fond of Obi-wan's character and he turned out to be the most respected Jedi to me, besides Yoda. But, he was just a padawan himself when he took on Anakin in Qui-gon's absence. He was doing what he thought he had to do since the council didn't want to do it, to honor his teacher, which is noble, but he wasn't even a knight, or barely one (can't remember). I'm not sure how they actually delegated padawans...like if they went to knights that had just gotten knighted, or if they went to vets that weren't Masters yet, but had at least had time to fully grasp their own powers and strengths and weaknesses on their own, but I'd find it odd if they slapped a newbie on to a fresh knight straight from completing the trials. So in my opinion, Obi-wan wasn't ready (though his heart was in the right place) especially to take on a kid that had so much baggage. That's not to say Anakin shouldn't have been trained, just by someone else with more wisdom on how to deal with a kid like Anakin (and no, not that he's special because he's the chosen, more so that he needs either more, or a different kind of attention given his situation as a late bloomer, for lack of a better term).

Yeah.

7. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    There's still the Palpatine factor. He would make sure that he would still be able to bend Anakin's ear towards him. And if he felt that Qui-gon was an interference, he could always invite him to his office for a friendly little "sparing" session.

8. UltimateObi-Wan_987

UltimateObi-Wan_987 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 15, 2005
    I think that Qui-Gon may have been a bit too fond of Anakin from the beginning and he just refused to admit that the boy might be a threat.

Qui-Gon was so sure that Anakin was the Chosen One; when someone expressed disbelief, he shunned their opinion. No one could convince him that Anakin might not be the ultimate good guy Qui-Gon thought he was.

Also, had Qui-Gon lived, I'm sure things would have been much different for Anakin. I'm not sure if it would have saved him from turning to the Dark Side, but I don't think that Obi-Wan was ready for a Padawan with so much potential. Especially since Anakin was his first Padawan! Poor guy, he didn't know what he got himself in to.:(

9. quiller

quiller Jedi Master star 2

Jun 1, 2005
    Qui-gon is my favorite character still his relationship with Anakin is interesting. I do not think it would have mattered who trained Anakin. It would have been nice if we knew just how the chosen one brought balance to the force but we do not. Maybe the thruth of the choose one is being the only one able to turn from the darkside, thus truely able to defeat the darkside and give balance to the force. Thus he had to turn in the first place. Thus it is imposible to say just what Qui-gon should have done with Anakin. It is obvious he must be removed from home, once found he could not be lost again. But maybe all it would take was to be removed from his home. Let the Sidious find him turn him to a sith, then have him turn back to the light side and kill Sidious. This brings the balance to the force but does not automatically kill all Jedi. It is leaving the mother behind (Qui-gon decision and a Jedi rule) that starts the conflict in Anakin. Anakin thinks, I am doing something cool, but I am leaving my mother feels bad about his mother must have some one to blame for fealing bad, blames the Jedi they left my mom behind, she dies the Jedi killed her. I have always thought the only mistake the Jedi made was breaking thier own rules and training Anakin in the first place. If you accept thier decision to train him you can not blame them if their training did not work. They did not really do anything wrong during the training process. Anakin just had too much bagage and too head strong for it to take. If the prophecy said the choosen one was going to revolutionize the Jedi, teach them the proper way to veiw the force then okay but that was not said. Also I think it was obvious to me that Jedi thought Anakin's training was incomplete which is why he had not been made a master. The Jedi also did not fear Anakin, they were worried that they would be unable to teach him to control the power that the were giving him do to his conflict about leaving his mother that showed. Still if you believe that Anakin was going to bring balance to the force by teaching the Jedi a new way to live and nothing to do with the sith then Qui-gon still needed to bring Anakin and his mother and the Jedi were totally wrong in the way they delt with Anakin. Though at this point do not blame the Jedi blame the force for not making the prophecy clear. The force here could have done a better job at making the bet be for Anakin and his mother.

10. Lord_AnnMal

Lord_AnnMal Jedi Youngling

Jun 23, 2005
    yea anakin was a big danger but it was how it had to go if he was the chosen one and he is so he had to turn to the darkside

11. --Skywalker--

--Skywalker-- Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 2004
    Qui-Gon focused on the far future(events of RotJ) not the near future(events of RotS).

12. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    DARTH_CRISPY posted on 5/23/05 2:06pm
    Nah the Jedi were too worried about the future of the boy, which was uncertain, to the point of it changed the way the dealt with his present and they did not pay attention to the damage they were doing to him.
    The Jedi worried too much about what hadn't happened yet. Listen to Yoda in ESB, he's chastising Luke for always looking to the future, not the present. He knew the mistakes of the Jedi, and it was Qui-gon and Anakin's fall which showed him this.
    [hr][/blockquote]

Exactly. They end up failing because of their fear as much as Anakin did because of his. The Jedi and Anakin are symbolically intertwined throughout the saga.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.