main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Qui Gon's hint at GREED CAN BE A POWERFUL ALLY..in Phantom Menace

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by MASTERJOEDA1974, Jun 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MASTERJOEDA1974

MASTERJOEDA1974 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2005
    Hi all,

I'm sure this probably has been asked before but here I go. In Phantom Menace when Qui Gon is eating in Anakins house and they are discussing their situation and the whole Podracing thing comes up. Something that Qui Gon said made me say to myself "wow would a Jedi really say something like this?". Basically he says that "Greed can be a powerful ally." Holy heracy Batman! A Jedi saying that being greedy can be helpful? I know some of you are gonna say noooo he meant its helpful if others are greedy. Ok. Maybe. But the way he phrased it sounded more like something Palps would say not a Jedi master. I think that helped foster the idea that many thought of Jinn being in league with Dooku and all.

Fire at will commander.

2. SKSeven

SKSeven Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2005
    Erm. Um.

I think what Qui-Gon meant is that other's greed could help them out of a bad situation. It's the idea of they have something we want, we have something they want, but they're not going to bargain, so we're going to ganble for it.

If I want your pixie stick, you might not just hand it over. But if I have a lollipop that you really like, your greed for it might be enough for me to get that pixie stick from you.

Although what Qui-Gon was referring to was easy money.

3. theN00_Jedi

theN00_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 26, 2005
    "Although what Qui-Gon was referring to was easy money."

are you sure he wasn't talking about candy? that anlogy tasted better

4. MASTERJOEDA1974

MASTERJOEDA1974 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2005
    "And knowing is half the battle!"

- G.I. Joe

5. Darth_Spartan

Darth_Spartan Jedi Youngling star 2

May 16, 2005
    Qui-Gon meant that greed is a powerfull ally, NOT an assett. When others are greedy, it's easier to get your way with them and Qui-Gon took full advantage of this by getting Anakin.

If Qui-Gon was greedy, he simply would of cut Watto down with his lightsaber, and taken Anakin and the hyperdrive for free.

6. YodaOz

YodaOz Jedi Master star 1

May 24, 2005
    And then presumably Anakin's mom would also be taken to Courscant and wouldn't have remained on Tatooine...

Gambling is a weakness. Qui-gon was exploiting Watto's weakness for the greater good.

7. DarthSurge

DarthSurge Jedi Youngling star 1

May 30, 2005
    you have to remember that qui-gon usually denined the jedi code, he wasnt all of a good jedi like all the other jedi, he always wanted things his way, so when he said grred may be a powerfull ally, he meant it 100 percent

8. PrinceHector

PrinceHector Jedi Youngling star 2

May 29, 2005
    No Qui-Gon did not necessarily follow the Jedi Council, however he was always doing what he thought was right. He wouldn't say greed is a good thing.

The context was

Padme - "The dealers must have a weakness of some kind."
    Shmi - "Greed. Everything depends on betting on those awful races."
    Jinn - "Greed can be a powerful ally."

He was referring to Greed being a weakness that could be exploited, just like Bond winning on the Orient Express due to Red Grant's greed to everyone who has seen that movie. Or Obi-Wan exploiting Greivous' metal body by using the force to adjust the metal or something in the novelisation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.