main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Qui-Gon's View of the Force

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by KennethMorgan, Feb 11, 2012.

1. KennethMorgan

KennethMorgan Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 29, 2004
    Throughout the Saga, Ben and Yoda refer to the Force as basically an impersonal energy field, with positive and negative aspects. For the most part, they instruct Luke and Anakin that, by and large, the Force works based on the person using it.

On the other hand, Qui-Gon tells Anakin that the Force "speaks" to people and gives guidance. He also talks about the Force having a "will", showing people the way to go to fulfill their destiny. Qui-Gon seems to believe that the Force is not an energy field, but a being with a mind and will, and a desire to communicate with others.

Makes me wonder if his beliefs, along with his maverick ways of doing his duty as a Jedi, were a factor in his not being on the Jedi Council. Am I off-base on this?

And please let me know if there's already been a thread on this. (With my failing memory, I may have already posted about this, myself.)

2. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    Makes me wonder if his beliefs, along with his maverick ways of doing his duty as a Jedi, were a factor in his not being on the Jedi Council. Am I off-base on this?

I don't think so. Even Obi-Wan had complained in TPM about Qui-Gon's penchant for not following the Order's dictates. He felt that Qui-Gon's role as a maverick had prevented the latter from becoming a member of the Council.

3. mandragora

mandragora Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2005
    That's not necessarily a contradiction. The Force, the living and the unifying Force, have obvious parallels to the Taoist concepts of Tao and Chi. Though impersonal energy fields, there are currents in the Tao which are interpreted as the "natural course", the way things "should be" and with which you shouldn't interfere. You can sense these currents through the Chi.

There's a passage in one of the Ep1 or Ep2 novelizations, where Obi-Wan reflects upon the Force, that also points to this.

Qui-Gon's explanation may be simply an attempt at explaining that to a kid.

4. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    This corresponds to the unifying Force and the living Force.

BEN: Remember, a Jedi can feel the Force flowing through him.

LUKE: You mean it controls your actions?

BEN: Partially. But it also obeys your commands.

5. yodaman_reborn

yodaman_reborn Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2009
    It seemed that Qui Gon was one of the few that saw the Force as a living being with consciousness.

6. KennethMorgan

KennethMorgan Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 29, 2004
    I'd forgotten that line; thanks for reminding me.

Still, it seems that Qui-Gon, more than the other Jedi, speaks of the Force as more of an entity than a "force". And, since he uses that viewpoint with both the Jedi Council and with Anakin, I doubt it's just his using a simple explanation for Ani's benefit.