main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Qui-Gon's voice, The NOOOOOOO! doesn't sound like Liam Neeson...

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Only_2, May 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TK_Four_Two_One

TK_Four_Two_One Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2002
    After seeing ATOC for the 4th time Sunday, I noticed that the "No!!!" in the Yoda scene sounded a lot like Obi-Wan's "No!!!!" when Anakin charges Dooku. Perhaps Yoda was hearing the present AND the future during his meditation.

OMG! :eek: Jediscott- please read six posts above your last one! :)

This party's over!!!!!!! :D

2. JediScott

JediScott Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 21, 2002
    After seeing ATOC for the 4th time Sunday, I noticed that the "No!!!" in the Yoda scene sounded a lot like Obi-Wan's "No!!!!" when Anakin charges Dooku. Perhaps Yoda was hearing the present AND the future during his meditation.

3. TK_Four_Two_One

Jun 17, 2002
    :eek: He's done it again!

Case dismissed! [face_devil]

4. JediScott

JediScott Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 21, 2002
    I know TK, but I always take what Lucasfilm says with a grain of salt until I see actual proof in a movie. Look how many times they have changed their story about other things, including the existence or nonexistence of a sequel trilogy.

Edit: Besides, there is NO WAY the "No!!!" sounds like Liam's voice, and I find it hard to believe Lucasfilm couldn't make it sound more accurate!

5. TK_Four_Two_One

Jun 17, 2002
    Well the way i see it too many official people have said it's qui gon's voice- GL, Rick (i think!), Liam himself commented and now Ben Burtt, I think its hard to argue against it! :)

6. Natalie_Portmans_Bum

Natalie_Portmans_Bum Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 26, 2002
    "Well the way i see it too many official people have said it's qui gon's voice- GL, Rick (i think!), Liam himself commented and now Ben Burtt, I think its hard to argue against it!"

Actually, they never specifically talked about the "nooooo" part. They were only refering to the "Anakin, Anakin" part. If you can find a quote which says EXACTLY that they are talking about the "noooo" SPECIFICALLY, then we can all shut up. But there is no quote that can back you up TK-421.

7. TK_Four_Two_One

Jun 17, 2002
    *BANGS HEAD AGAINST BRICK WALL IN FRUSTRATION*

Ok, there is finally an answer from Ask a Council Member on the Official Site from Ben Burtt:

Q: Do I hear the voice of Qui-Gon Jinn shouting, "Anakin, Anakin... No!", in Yoda's apartment after Anakin attacks the Tusken Raiders?
    A: Yes indeed, the voice that Yoda hears is that of Qui-Gon Jinn.

Notice the whole quote is included in the question. I think this should end this debate.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And if this doesnt back me up then nothing will.

8. Darth_Poutine

Darth_Poutine Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 20, 2002
    Proof is here

It is Qui-Gon's voice. The whole quote. "Anakin, Anakin, nooooooooo" is spoken by Qui-Gon Jinn. In the movie Attack of the Clones. By Qui-Gon Jinn.

Latre!

P.S. Gui-Gon says "Anakin, Anakin, noooooo!" in Attack of the Clones it says so here.

P.P.S. Ben Burtt, sound designer for Attack of the Clones, the guy responsible for the sounds you hear in that movie, including the phrase "Anakin, Anakin, nooooooooo!" says here that it is, in fact, Qui-Gon Jinn that says "Anakin, Anakin, noooooooo!"

9. Darth_OlsenTwins

Darth_OlsenTwins Jedi Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    Lol @ Poutine

Don't worry, someone will do the same thing on the next page 'cause they only read the last few posts.

10. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Hey guys, I'm thinking that it is really a voice from Episode 3 when...
    *dodges computer pieces being thrown at him*

Oh for those who still think that, the truth is out there. ;)

11. CarbonKnight

CarbonKnight Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 19, 2002
    Um if this is Qui-Gon's voice, and meant to be Qui-Gon voice's, I find it hard to believe Burtt would WANT to admit it. I mean, jeez, if that was the case, Burtt would be speaking through his lawyers!

The Nooooo sounds nothing, I repeat, NOTHING like Qui-Gon.

12. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Because it's supposed to be garbled and fading out.

13. TK_Four_Two_One

Jun 17, 2002
    Close this thread maybe? As so many links show- it has now been answered. Seems logical to me to lock it. :)

14. Lord-Gretzky

Lord-Gretzky Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 29, 2000
    Let's not lock it, we should just rename it to "what a crappy job Ben Burtt did of making the "noooo" sound like Qui-Gonn, or rather not like Qui Gonn". I have a question also....if the "noooo" really was another character, would the answer that Ben Burtt gave be any less true? I asked the council the same question at the Official site, except I clarified that I wanted to know if the "Anakin, Anakin" line and the "nooooo" dialogue came from the same person. Now if only they had answered my question instead of the one they did. Now I'm still not convinced. I think it's funny that there will be some people consumed with thoughts about why I am not 100% convinced. They will even go out of their way to write something about it Im guessing, hoping.

15. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Gretzky has a point. I don't care if Burtt says it is supposed to be Qui-Gon, it does NOT sound like him. At all. If it is Qui-Gon then when Neeson comes back for his stuff in Ep 3, let's record him actually saying this line anew. Not two copies of his "Anakin!" line from TPM pasted onto a NOOOOOOOOO from someone else that was digitally altered.

16. Darth_OlsenTwins

May 18, 2002
    I believe that it is Qui-Gon, or at least meant to be him. However, this thread should stay open because it really doesn't sound like him.

17. Obi-Wan2001

Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    The saddest thing is, we can think of ways to remedy the situation, yet Lucas and Co. could not. We know how meticulate George is with is work, yet he gave a thumbs up to the totally random "NOOOOOO!". If this is indeed a hint about Jedi being able to attain their identity, why didn't Lucas take more consideration with the "NOOOOOO!" sounding more like Liam. Heck, have him send it out from his sound recorder through an e-mail. If this is supposed to be a major plot point, more care should have gone into it, that's for sure.

18. TK_Four_Two_One

Jun 17, 2002
    I give up!!!!!

Plus i said ages ago that GL should redo the line for the AOTC DVD with Liam whilst doing stuff for Episode III.

19. Natalie_Portmans_Bum

Jun 26, 2002
    The "nooooo" is not Qui Gonn. They never say "and yes, we did the "nooo" part and made sure it sounded just like Mr Neeson."

No quote exists to back this up. We KNOW that he says "Anakin, Anakin". But there is no SPECIFIC evidence on the "nooooo" part. So you are right TK-421, there is no evidence to back you up. :D

20. Darth_OlsenTwins

May 18, 2002
    NP's Bum

Q: Do I hear the voice of Qui-Gon Jinn shouting, "Anakin, Anakin... No!", in Yoda's apartment after Anakin attacks the Tusken Raiders?
    A: Yes indeed, the voice that Yoda hears is that of Qui-Gon Jinn.

I don't see what is so hard to understand about this. It mentions the whole quote from the movie. I even put it in bold for you.

21. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    It's supposed to be Qui-gon. The NOOOO was obviously altered to fit the plot point that Lucas is going for in episode three. Yes, Lucas has been known to change his mind, but I don't think this is one of them. At this point, arguing isn't going to change that. We have the statements made by different people, the novelization, script and lastly the foregin version were recorded with the same voice. They all validate that it is Qui-gon shouting NOOOO. However, the voice was altered intentionally to sound different. Liam Neeson said that they tried to record the dialouge. Then it was digitally altered and sent for his approval. It's apparent that when Lucas and Burtt discussed the matter, the idea came to alter the voice. For what reason, we do not know.

This thread should stay open and maybe try to figure out why Qui-gon's voice is garbled.

22. Natalie_Portmans_Bum

Jun 26, 2002
    "I don't see what is so hard to understand about this. It mentions the whole quote from the movie. I even put it in bold for you."

I KNOW he mentions the whole quote, but the response is a bit vague. Yes, Yoda hears Qui Gonn, but that could just be the "Anakin Anakin" part. And don't mock me young padawan.

23. Only_2

Only_2 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 21, 2002
    OK, we've determined that the voice is in fact supposed to be that of Qui-Gon. This much we can accept.

However,

All of you arguing nincompoops, do me a favor and repeat after me the Title of this thread..."Qui-Gon's voice, The NOOOOOOO! doesn't sound like Liam Neeson..."

now read it to yourself.

Now repeat after me: "Qui-Gon's voice, The NOOOOOOO! doesn't sound like Liam Neeson..."

My original question wasn't whether it was the CHARACTER QUI GON, but rather the ACTOR LIAM NEESON!

Whether or not it is in fact Liam Neeson is not confirmed anywhere, by anyone, especially Liam himself, who seemed quite confused by what Lucasfilm had come up with.

Now for all of you thread-lock happy know-it-alls, let the debate rage on...

24. Lord-Gretzky

Lord-Gretzky Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 29, 2000
    The problem I think people are having is that how could Ben Burtt of all people not make a simple "nooo" sound like Qui Gonn (Liam Neeson)? How is that possible?!? It makes no sense to me. And his answer isn't necessarily vague, it just isn't the answer to the question we are posing....All he says is that we hear Qui Gonn in that scene. Like I said before, if the "nooo" actually came from another character, besides Qui Gon, would Ben Burtt's answer have been any less true? He is telling the truth, but *perhaps* not the whole truth. The original post isn't as interesting as the speculation of it possibly being another character, personally.

25. Darth_OlsenTwins

May 18, 2002
    I KNOW he mentions the whole quote, but the response is a bit vague.

I apologize for my mocking tone, NP's Bum. However, I have to say that it is not a vague question nor is it a vague response. What part of "yes" is vague? The question asked if those three words were spoken by Qui-Gon Jinn. The answer was yes.

The question now is "Why does it sound completely unlike QG?". I personally find it hard to believe that last bit was an unintentional mishap by Ben Burtt. I also find it hard to believe that GL listened to it, and overlooked the fact that it sounds nothing like him. I think it was made that way intentionally. I believe that it was meant to sound distorted. Perhaps they were trying to illustrate that the voice was somehow fading or made distorted due to Anakin's actions. IMHO.

BTW, this thread should definitely stay open because Only_2 is completely right about the "No". It sounds nothing like him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.