main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Qui-Gon's voice, The NOOOOOOO! doesn't sound like Liam Neeson...

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Only_2, May 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord-Gretzky

Lord-Gretzky Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 29, 2000
    You got me Sid. I can't come back from that. And you're absolutely right Ben-Obi-Wan-Kenobi, there are always people who are looking behind things, but especially when someone who has shown so much expertise and artistry when creating and designing sound and sound effects in the past and present, Ben Burtt, does what *seems* like such a crappy job at creating a sound that is supposed to sound like a specific character. And what's wrong with people looking behind things? Does it bother you that people wanna speculate about something that you don't think is anything? This is a whole other subject but it is art, and there are things to look for underneath, regardless of wether it's the Farrely brothers or Stanley Kubrick. The perfect example is the creation of the AAT's from TPM where they were given "animalistic" traits to appear more menacing, lion trates. It's behind, underneath. They arent supposed to be lions, they are just supposed to stimulate the subconsious to make them more intimidating. It's in "The Art of Episode I". I believe it is also mentioned in a documentary or the commentary on the DVD. So what would be so crazy about there being something behind a camera move? That's one of the techniques that they often stress in film school is to make camera moves motivated. No to just do things because the look cool. **That's not to say every single detail is motivated with some deep meaning behind it**. It's just, when you are spending around 120 million dollars of your own money on your film, or any artistic expression for that matter, you'd probably like to get the most out of every detail as possible. That's how I feel anyways as a filmaker. So if people wanna speculate, no one should be offended, because it seems like some of you are.

2. Darth_OlsenTwins

Darth_OlsenTwins Jedi Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    I think the speculation about it being a different person is over. However, this is known to be a major plot point and the fact that it sounds the least bit misleading(which it does) makes me think that Burtt did not do a good job with this scene. Does that mean he sucks? No, absolutely not. He does a wonderful job. But the fact that a lot of people thought that it was two voices implies that the line was misleading. That shouldn't happen with a major plot point.

3. Darth_OlsenTwins

May 18, 2002
    Double post

Neither of these posts bumped this thread.

Wierd.

4. Darth_OlsenTwins

May 18, 2002
  5. Lord-Gretzky

Jun 29, 2000
    Olsenwins, you have crystalized my thoughts perfectly. Personally, however foolish or ignorant some think I may be, I am not 100% convinced that it is not another character. So,99 percent convinced, but not fully. Which means ultimately that I do think it is Qui Gon but, I just do not get the sound of the "nooo". I honestly made a better sounding no on my computer in 2 hours.

6. grendelsfork

grendelsfork Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 21, 2000
    Great user name Lord Gretsky, although im a Lemieux fan all the way.

Anyway, i've had a long argument with my brother about this since the first veiwing, hes convinced its somone else, and evan my credentials of having like 3000 posts about the movie here dont sway his opinion(my opinion usually caries more water, with this he's adamant).

But my most simple argument usually rings the truest to him and myself, which is..'hey man, its just not Lucas' style man'.

7. Darth_OlsenTwins

May 18, 2002
    I don't think you are foolish at all. I find you to be a very reasonable person.

*patting Lord Gretzky on the back*

Heck, I'll give myself a margin of 1% for error as well. I'd be stupid not to.

The one thing is that I read the novel before watching AOTC. I fully expected this scene. It was also one of the scenes I looked forward to. When I saw the movie I didn't even consider that the "No" was anybody else. But people here didn't believe it. I just put a lot of stock into the prequel novels because they WILL not be contradicted.

After listening to it again, I realized that it is completely misleading for something that is a plot point. I can see why some people thought it wasn't Qui-Gon. Just the fact that large doubt exists, makes me think they could've done better.

But we have to accept the overwhelming evidence and statement about the voice being QJ's. I, personally, think that more interesting speculation could be brought forward than on this subject.

8. Lord-Gretzky

Jun 29, 2000
    You guys have been quite reasonable and I appreciate that, but nothing explains why I made a better sounding "noo" on my computer in under a couple of hours. grendelsfork, what isn't Lucas' style?

9. grendelsfork

grendelsfork Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 21, 2000
    I dunno, its just not, its too EUish, c'mon you know what im talking about.

10. TK_Four_Two_One

TK_Four_Two_One Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2002
    The voice should be redone for the AOTC DVD- UNLESS its meant to be like that. My reasoning being that Yoda has tapped into the dark side while meditating thus the 'noooo' bit was MAYBE meant to sound evil- it does sound deeper and angrier (to me anyway). Therefore if it sounds evil then GL is trying to tell us that it was coming from the dark side. It doesnt necessarily mean Qui Gon has anything to do with the dark side- it could be like we hear 'anakin! anakin!' in Qui Gonn's normal voice but as Anakin eventually gives into the dark side the voice becomes distorted, evil and slower thus signifying maybe its too late- Anakin has stepped over the line of coming back! i hope some understand what i have tried to say. :)

11. Natalie_Portmans_Bum

Natalie_Portmans_Bum Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 26, 2002
    I see some have found it easy to flame me. I'm NOT saying its not Qui Gonn, only that I believe that it is someone else. TK-421, you show a good opinion there, with it leading to the dark side. But does it have to be Qui Gonn? No, it could be Anakin. Or Kenobi. Or a new character in Ep3. Hell, it could even be Dooku. All I'm saying is that in that scene, you hear more than one voice anyway. The tuskens screams, Vader breathing, Qui Gonn saying "Anakin, Anakin" and possibly "nooooooo" or maybe someone else says that. Look, it is an opinion, but it is still valid. Others have expressed doubt about it, why can't you accept there is a possiblity about it being someone other than Qui Gonn. You read too much into the quotes. GL can change things when ever he wants, and the quotes are very vague, and thats on purpose. So, stop being worried about being right and think a little less on the train tracks.

12. jedibri

jedibri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2000
    This might be a little off center but I'd like to add a thought in here if I can? This is something we have been tossing around in the Epi.III spoiler section.
    We know that both Anakin & Yoda hear Qui Gon yell "Noooo". But in the book it say's that Yoda doesn't understand how or why that could be.
    So the thought goes:
    Because Anakin is bron from the will of the force the people who guild him are also touched by the will of the force. Meaning the Jedi who have died (Qui Gon, Obi-Wan, & Yoda) all come back as ghost's. Well we think it's the will of the force guilding them to continue to guild Anakin.
    Which would also explain why Luke could see them as well. They were still trying to guild Anakin through useing Luke.
    Well that's the best thought on that.
    Sorry if it's out of place!

13. Natalie_Portmans_Bum

Jun 26, 2002
    jedibri, we don't know Anakin heard it. We can speculate, but we don't know. That is an interesting theory although it has been discussed before but is certainly not out of place.

Edit: Bad grammer ;)

14. jedibri

Jul 19, 2000
    Well in the Epi.II book it states that Anakin did indeed hear it.

15. Natalie_Portmans_Bum

Jun 26, 2002
    the books are not canon, only the film. Its like EU, its not relevant.

16. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I think it was intentional alteration of Qui-gon's voice. Remember, the whole idea is that this is the first time a Jedi has been heard from the great beyond. Whatever reason Lucas had for altering it, (we know that Burtt can make it good and that only Lucas will order the change), he doesn't want to be made known now.

17. Darth_OlsenTwins

May 18, 2002
    But it is reasonable to assume that QG was trying to reach Anakin, not Yoda. Just from the nature of the quote. Whether Anakin heard it or not is a different story.

18. TK_Four_Two_One

TK_Four_Two_One Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2002
    cool idea jedibri. The only thing i maybe add though is that when Anakin turns back completely from the dark side would your theory not mean thus that we shouldnt get to see the spirits anymore because their work is done in guiding Anakin. Therefore because everything is now in balance after Anakin dies they wouldnt be able to appear at the end of ROTJ as spirits cuz Anakin has been saved. Just a suggestion- unless i'm picking you up wrong! :)

I still think the voice change was to signify it coming from the dark side (see my previous post for full explanation :) )

19. Obi-Wan2001

Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    And thus, it was debated through the end of time. Or until May of 2005, anyway. :p

20. jedibri

Jul 19, 2000
    First off the book was written from the story that GEORGE LUCAS wrote. Not some EU rubbish.
    Second of all remember the thought is that only the people who help the chosen one can see the spirits. So Luke helped bring the chosen one back. Meaning that he too would see them.

21. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Movies are first teir canon.
    Novelizations are second.
    Scripts third tier.

Lucas discussed this with Salvatore and he would know what happened in the scene. The only stuff that's been dropped from the novelizations has been stuff that he has dropped as he's changed his mind. So far, TPM and AOTC still match what's been written.

22. Darth_OlsenTwins

May 18, 2002
    Exactly Darth Sinister

The prequel novels, in particular, hold a lot more water than the OT novelizations. Back then there was no prequel to contradict the novels. But now there is a prequel which did contradict the novel in several instances. However the new novelizations will not be contradicted because GL's full vision is now clear. They are not the highest form of canon, but they can show us insights into the film.

23. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I have seen it said in here already but it seems people are not reading and comprehending.

This thread is not asking IS IT QUI-GON? but instead is saying THIS IS QUI-GON'S VOICE and yet the Nooooooooo does not sound like LIAM NEESON. Read that again. It IS Qui-Gon.... it does NOT SOUND LIKE Liam Neeson.

Is that clear now? Should I use red or something brighter to catch everyone's attention?

24. Ghosts_Of_Anakin

Ghosts_Of_Anakin Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    It actually sounds like Cliegg Lars to me.

25. padme_skywalker03

padme_skywalker03 Jedi Youngling

Jul 8, 2002
    Lol, I can't believe some of you are still believing the novel! Ok, everyone knows that in AOTC Anakin is 19 and Padme is 24, right? We know this because it is 10 years later from TPM. And in TPM, Ani was 9 and Padme was 14. Still with me here? Ok, so why does the AOTC novel say that Anakin was 20 and Padme was 25? If this was true, then AOTC takes place 11 years after TPM, which it does not. So this is one fallacy that was in the novel. Who knows what else? Remember, The Flanneled One did not write the novel himself...he got another guy to do that for him. I'm not gonna believe anything from the novel, and I don't believe what the novel says about the line in question here. I'm not saying that I think it is or isn't Qui-Gon. I do think that it sounds different, for whatever reason. Now here's another point to think about: George butchered the soundtrack in the movie. A good portion of the music you heard in AOTC was really from TPM. You can hear absolutely awful music editing throughout the entire movie. So is it also possible that the "noooo" was just a crappy sound job? And we all know that George changes his mind like you and I change socks. Anything he says now can easily morph into something completely different by 2004 or 2005 or whenever the hell they've decided to release EpIII now. Like I said before, I'm not voicing any opinions either way for the debate. Just wanted to throw out some observations I've made. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.