main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Qui-Gon's voice, The NOOOOOOO! doesn't sound like Liam Neeson...

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Only_2, May 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gonzonaut

Gonzonaut Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 28, 2000
    I can't believe that people insist that the "No!" was intentionally made to stand out. Mistakes happen. For instance, Lucas dished out millions to work on A New Hope twice (original and special edition) and in both versions the problem of old Obi-Wan's fizzled-out looking lightsaber remains in his duel with Vader. The book states that Qui-Gon spoke the whole statement, and theories proposing that it was some one else's voice are too convoluted in this instance.

2. Rainstorm

Rainstorm Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2001
    my two cents. i've watched that part a million times it seems like. i think the "no" is definately not Qui-Gon. just as the "no" is fading, you hear Vader's breath exhale, therefore making me believe it's Anakin. how and why and when? who knows.

3. Boromir19

Boromir19 Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 12, 2001
    the "nooo" part isn't Qui-Gon, I agree. But I don't think Yoda exclusively heard just Qui-Gon's voice either.

To me, the "noooooo!" wail/scream (whatever" sounded like it came from the guy who played Cliegg Lars. Of course, we'll never know who did that scream, but maybe (hopefully), it will be elaborated on in Ep3.

4. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    Gonzonaut, there's a bit of a difference between the lightsaber fizzling out in ANH and this voice thing. ANH was made in a time when special effects weren't that good. I'm pretty sure they could have done better if they wanted to makes this voice sound like Qui-Gon.

Perhaps it is Qui-Gon, but it was meant to sound like it wasn't. There is something to that voice, be it Qui-Gon's or someone else's.

5. ryanof1

ryanof1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2000
    You know, it kinda reminded me of Luke yelling, "No!" when he saw Vader cut down Ben.

6. Darth Jamus

Darth Jamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 1, 2000
    "I find that hard to believe. Lucas himself paid 120 million out of his own pocket to make this movie, and that garbled "no" was the best that they could do?"

SUINEME, I find it hard to believe that the same Lucas that made these prequels couldn't match Mark Hamill's voice for the added yell in TESB-SE, but it happened! I think that Hamill would have been glad to do it, even for free, but was never asked. Liam Neeson was probably never asked either.

As for my opinion on this whole was it Qui-Gon's voice or not, I will have to wait till I see the movie again. I don't recall Vader's breath from the first three viewings.

7. Rainstorm

Rainstorm Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2001
    watched it again. the "no" does sound sorta like Luke now, but from the ESB duel. after Vader tells him that he's Luke's father, Luke says the part about it being impossible, then yells "no" twice. it kinda sounds like the 2nd "no". man. are we analyzing this thing to death or what?

8. DARTHPIGFEET

DARTHPIGFEET Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2001
    I know basic film school stuff since I got my degree in it. The low and high angle is used for a power shot as it's also called.

Now the way I first interpreted that shot was that he is getting a low angle for a power degree continuity shot to follow the shot of Yoda, however I don't consider that shot of yoda a high angle shot. The shot isn't coming from Yoda's eyes since Mace isn't looking into the camera but to the left of it. It's from Yoda vantage point.

Enough of this, but keep in mind those low angle shots, because SW loves using them for bad guys. Dooku had a few.

Anyway my final observation of Mace is in the final scene with mace, obiwan and yoda in the temple talking by the window. When Obiwan says without the clones there would have been no victory Mace agrees and nods his head. It's only Yoda who doesn't agree. So here you have the 3 most powerful jedi and #2 mace agreeing with #3 not using the same wisdom as Yoda.

Back on topic

9. _dArTh_SoLo

_dArTh_SoLo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2002
    I have the movie as well.

I've listened to it now like 5 times and it's ANAKIN.

If it were Qui Gon, there wouldn't be such a long pause in between voices....

Also, I heard Vader exhailing too.

Yoda's having a premonission. Let's remember here, Yoda at this point was probing the Dark Side, which enabled him to catch a glimpse of the future.

10. jedimaster5615

jedimaster5615 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 23, 2002
    The voice definately is Qui-Gon. There is no doubt about it. I saw the movie again tonight and I payed extra attention to that scene because I was confused the first time I saw it. There is no doubt in my mind that it is the voice of Qui-Gon.

11. _dArTh_SoLo

_dArTh_SoLo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2002
    Dude I'm listening to it as we speak....it's Anakin.

There wouldn't be such a long pause in between the voices if it were Qui Gon, never mind the fact that it doesn't sound at all like Liam.

12. DarthVegas

DarthVegas Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 18, 2000
    The "Noooooooooo!" part to me was Qui-Gon.

Everyone has a theory it seems, and yes I do agree that the NOOO was distorted (after seeing it twice).

You have to understand that Qui-Gon was terribly upset in that moment. Imagine you had just found the supposed "chosen one" who you had given your life for, theoretically. Suddenly, you see that chosen one going apesh1te on some tusken raiders. That's not cool especially when that was some obvious darkside action going on.

The Noo was distorted because Qui-Gon's spirit was fading away and it made the NO sound very upset.

Long live the NO. Tis what i say. i just came from a really cool bar called Rivertown Lounge in Soho (NYC). So if you wish to dispute it, take it up with the bartenders there.

13. jedimaster5615

May 23, 2002
    Ok I have gone to the instant replay and made a decision. The guy saying "Anakin Anakin" is Qui-Gon. The person saying NOOOOOOOOOOO, however, might not be Liam Neeson. I still think, though, that it might be him. I dont think its Anakin.

14. Jedi Without a Cause

Jedi Without a Cause Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 7, 2000
    It's Qui-Gon.

No, wait. I just listened to it. It's Hayden.

No hang on. It's definitely Liam you can tell because ... hold up a sec though. I'm pretty sure It's Hayden.

Aparently nobody knows. Heck, maybe it's both Liam and Hayden played simultaneously that's why it sounds all jarbled and stuff. The point is that something wierd's going on with Qui-Gon. Isn't he supposed to be dead?

I think the obvious link here and one that we can all agree on is that the first part IS Liam. If that's the case it almost HAS to be Qui-Gon from beyond the grave because it makes no real sense if Yoda's just hearing a Qui-Gon loop from an unimportant scene in The Phantom Menace. btw is it FOR SURE a loop from TPM or are we all just thinking that because Liam says Anakin the same way in both scenes? Do we have proof that Liam didn't record it?

Even if it is a loop it is now being applied to the scene with the Tusken Camp and is clearly and admonishment from Qui-Gon to Anakin and a warning. In that sense it only FOLLOWS that the "noooo" would be voiced by Qui-Gon as well. Plus it just makes the whole dang scene cooler.

-JWAC

15. jedimaster5615

May 23, 2002
    The Anakin part is definately said be Liam Neeson the person who yells nooo is a different story. Its hard to tell but it doesnt sound like hayden at all. To me it wouldnt even make sense if Hayden was saying that.

16. Jedi Without a Cause

Jedi Without a Cause Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 7, 2000
    "To me it wouldnt even make sense if Hayden was saying that."

This is by far the best point that's been made in this thread. There's no reason for Anakin to be shouting "noooo" here. He's in the middle of slaughtering sand people. And he doesn't appear to be ramping up his anger from the few shots we see of him. It's a very calm deathly cold anger not a crazy psychotic type so anakin shouting "nooo" here doesn't make sense. The idea that is a "nooo" from the future also bugs me because well, then it doesn't really foreshadow anything. Anybody could've predicted that there'll be someone shouting "noooo" in episode III without hearing it here in episode II as "nooo" is said in EVERY SINGLE starwars movie to date so if "nooo" is our glimp into the future it's a fairly meaningless one. However, there is no "nooo" in AOTC except for here, which leads me to beleive that it is "nooo"ing in the context of AOTC not episode III. And in that sense it only makes sense for the person to be "nooooo"ing to be Qui-Gon Jinn because we heard his voice IMMEDIATELY preceeding it.

-JWAC

17. theharri

theharri Jedi Youngling star 1

May 12, 2002
    First I thought it must be Qui Gon although it didn't sound like Neeson. Now I believe the voice is that of George Lucas. It would be fitting if Lucas would represent THE FORCE or the Midi-chlorians.

18. Ben_Skywalker

Ben_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 20, 2001
    So wait a minute. For the people who are saying that the 'NOOO' was Anakins voice, is the AOTC novelization then lying when saying that it was Qui Gonns voice?

19. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    I didnt think it was Quigon who said the "No" part, definatly the "Anakin, Anakin" bit though.

20. tommi

tommi Jedi Youngling star 2

May 17, 2002
    Maybew Qui-Gon can only "stay" for a little while, and he starts fading away during the screaming and that's why the 'NOOOOO' part sounds different

21. Marsguo

Marsguo Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2000
    The "Anakin" part is from TPM , when Darth Maul arrives on his speeder bike and Qui-Gon tells Anakin to duck.

The "Nooo" sounds strange to me.

22. Farrokh1

Farrokh1 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 18, 2002
    "To me it wouldnt even make sense if Hayden was saying that."

"This is by far the best point that's been made in this thread. There's no reason for Anakin to be shouting "noooo" here"

There is every reason for it to be Anakins voice. This is the future we are hearing( why else would we hear Darth Vader?), and that is why the NOOOO is synthesised, it is Anakin becoming more machine( it could be Padmes death!). To my ears it is clearly Hayden. And I cant believe some of you have seen it three times and still havent heard Vaders breathing. What are you doing? Oh and I think it is quite clear that the Anakin, Anakin is Liam Neeson.

As for my copy of AOTC, I only got it because if you can watch it whenever you want, its make loving it so much easier. Although I did not buy it and I have seen it at the Cinema three times and will definitely be getting the DVD. :)

23. snap-hiss

snap-hiss Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2001
    Let me do some editing and see if I can get a sound clip here.

!snap

24. Ironflak

Ironflak Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 25, 2002
    Why can't everyone just accept the fact that the novel clearly states that it is Qui-Gon who says "Anakin! Anakin! Nooooo!"

Yes, the "no" is distorted in the movie. So what? Qui-Gon's spirit is in turmoil about what is happening. Even Yoda can sense the turmoil through the Force.

Theorizing that Anakin or someone from the future or Tusken Raiders are the ones saying "nooo" is a waste of effort because the novel has already answered the question with the truth.

25. Farrokh1

Farrokh1 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 18, 2002
    Does the Novel mention Vaders breathing.And does anyone have the script, I am sick of people using the Novel as reference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.