Qui-Gon's voice, The NOOOOOOO! doesn't sound like Liam Neeson...

Discussion in 'Attack of the Clones' started by Only_2, May 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vaderbait Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I'm 300% positive that the words are Qui-Gon, but the "Noooo!" is Anakin. The No sounds too pained to be Qui-Gon.
  2. ju-may Jedi Knight

One thing, I saw AOTC in another idiom and NOOOOOOOO!!! sound like the shouts of a tusken (is a fact there are some "gruu, gruu" voicé of tusken before "Anakin, Anakin!!)
  3. Charlie_Martel Jedi Master

star 4
    Hayden has a high voice. That "Noooooo!" is a lot deeper than his voice...
  4. OrlandoT Jedi Master

star 4
    Lucas has a habit of thinking all voices sound alike. Remember Luke's scream in the ESB SE? Or the Vader in the same film?

That said, I think we saw Qui-Gon trying to reach Anakin yet not being powerful enough to do it. Only Yoda, trough deep meditation was able to hear him.
  5. Lord-Gretzky Jedi Knight

star 3
    I too think that it sounds like CLIEGG LARS. Not close even, but almost exactly like him. I don't know what it would precisely mean if it was supposed to be him however.
  6. Darth-NewGuy Jedi Padawan

If it is Clieg Lars, is it possible he had something to do with the whole thing? Why did he buy her specifically? Didn?t Watto make it sound as if they were pretty far away? Perhaps he is found out and is later slaughtered for his involvement by Anakin. I find it hard to believe that it was all just a coincidence. I rather believe it was a trap set for Anakin to help his transformation to the dark side. Very similar to the way Vader used Han Solo, Leia, and Chewbaka in ESB.

If that voice is meant to be a major plot twist then that certainly would be one. Of course then you would think Owen and Beru would have been slaughtered also. Regardless, maybe Anakin just later blames Clieg for not protecting Shmi.

Or of course, that Voice could be totally meaningless and nothing to do with anything.
  7. Ven Jedi Padawan

It's Lucas's. He's pinching pennies again.
  8. mustang_dvs Jedi Knight

star 2
    Attack of the Clones Screenplay
    (fr. The Art of Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones, p.210)

SCENE 121
    INTERIOR JEDI TEMPLE, YODA'S QUARTERS-LATE AFTERNOON

YODA meditates and suddenly hears a familiar voice, as uf from a great distance. It is the voice of QUI-GON JINN, filled with alarm.

Qui-Gon:(V.O.) No Anakin! No! Don't! No!

MACE WINDU enters the room and sits down. YODA opens his eyes and loooks to MACE.

Mace Windu: What is it?
    Yoda: Pain. Suffering. Death, I feel. Something terrible has happened. Young Skywalker is in pain. Terrible pain.

Hope this answers your speculation. :)
  9. Lord-Gretzky Jedi Knight

star 3
    It does help end the speculation, but I just dont get why it doesn't sound anything like Qui Gon? I mean it's not like it's some student film and they don't have sound designers and sound editors to deal with such things. I just think it's strange. Is it not possible that the story changed abit since the printing of the Screenplay? Wasn't Lucas making changes up until like a few weeks befroe the movie came out? Maybe it's not likely, but it's just strange is my point. I could have made that sound byte sound more like Qui Gon on Adobe premier in like an hour, on pile of hell computer no less, let alone the sound capabilities they have at Skywalker sound. Im not saying it's not Qui gon. Im just sayin what the f is up with that?
  10. Jyanix Jedi Knight

star 1
    One thing that has been on my mind is something that George Lucas has said. He stated that the "Anakin....nooooo) (paraphrased) line reveals a clue to the disappearing Jedi debate.

Could this clue be the "noooo" scream? What I mean is, maybe Qui-Gon lost his ability to remain in spiritual form because Anakin has started his descent to the dark side. Could it be that the connection to someone a Jedi has trained, or introduced to the Jedi order is linked to the existence as a Jedi spirit?

I know, it's a crazy theory, but this has really been on my mind more than anything else in AOTC.
  11. Lord-Gretzky Jedi Knight

star 3
    That sounds kinda cool Jyanix. Ofcourse, I'm largely pleased with the idea because it suggests that the different sounds between words *are* intentional, and not just some lame production value. It must not be terribly important information if it is supposed to just be Qui Gon because why would Lucas not take an hour to fix it? I mean seriously, an hour tops. I mean, remember that it was *important* to Lucas that everyone knew that Darth Maul was dead, so he had him cut into two pieces? Who would have thought that he survived if Obi wan had just stuck him in the gut and Maul just fell down that pit? So A) it's not terribly important as far as the story goes, and all the dialgue is supposed to be Qui gon B) it's someone else besides Qui Gon who says "Nooo" or C) I'm a dirty pile
  12. Darth_Xero Jedi Master

star 1
    Well if the screenplay and novel says so, Qui-gon Jinn it is. Although the "no" doesn't sound like him much, we know it is. It sounds like if he's in pain. Like many have said, it's probably Qui-gon's "no" from some future event. I hope this gets explained in Episode III. I hope.
  13. Jedi-Finney Force Ghost

star 4
    it is qui-gon...

haven't you people learned to ignore the May '02 crowd yet? all they ever want to do is argue... ignore them, and they will go away...
  14. Darth-NewGuy Jedi Padawan

"it is qui-gon...

haven't you people learned to ignore the May '02 crowd yet? all they ever want to do is argue... ignore them, and they will go away..."

Real nice! What was the purpose of that post? You should be proud that you are a Mar '01. I guess in other words your saying new people aren't welcome and neither is their opinion? Have fun with all of your Mar 01 friends and earlier. Of course if your a Jun '99, why the hell would you want to talk to a Mar '01? Just ignore the Mar '01 crowd and they will go away.

I'll be back to make Jedi-Finney cry in May '05. Good luck until then.
  15. CarbonKnight Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Once you all have it on DVD... or bootleg, you will know that it is Anakin's voice.
  16. Farrokh1 Jedi Knight

star 2

"SCENE 121
    INTERIOR JEDI TEMPLE, YODA'S QUARTERS-LATE
    Qui-Gon:(V.O.) No Anakin! No! Don't! No!

MACE WINDU enters the room and sits down YODA opens his eyes and loooks to MACE."

In the film he says 'Anakin, Anakin', then theres the NOOOOOOo (which I think is Anakins voice, yes it might be deep but its been run through some effects, i think this is a clear sign that he is becoming Darth vader), then theres the Vader Breathing which is isnt even mentioned in the screenplay or the Novel, so what evers in the screenplay or novel is not 100% acurate.
    Remember some of us have the means to listen to this part over and over again. I have even sped it up and slowed it down, and to me the NOOOO is clearly Hayden.
    And I cant believe there are people who dont think the Anakin,Anakin bit is Liam Neeson.

17. Kade_ Jedi Padawan

Ok im not sure where everyone is getting Vader's breating from but after whoever says Noooo, that sounds more like the end of a tusken raiders yell. Listen to it again, and search your heart you know it be true :p
  18. Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost

star 4
    Yes it is Qui Gon.

The secret of disaappearing is that through his use and advocacy of the Living Force, Qui Gon has found a way to return to the world in Spirit Form and communicate with the Living. This will be revealed in Ep. 3 when Star Wars starts to feel like Sixth Sense.

Is it me or does anyone else think that it was totally pointless to even inlcuded the "Anakin! NOOOO!" in the scene since Yoda did not even say he heard Qui Gon's voice???? What a waste! If this was supposedly the first time Yoda heard a dead person speaking to him, should he not have explored this a little? or even just told Mace, "yo, weird was that, heard Qui Gon I did!" It loses of all its dramtic flair since most of the people in the audience didn't even know who's voice that was. Especially when it doesn't even sound like Liam.
  19. Lord-Gretzky Jedi Knight

star 3
    I like when people say it is Qui Gon because the screenplay says it is. The way people speak matter of factly about things which aren't necessarily proof. If the voice that said the "NOOOO" part sounded like an 8 year old girl, it would still be Qui Gon because thats what it says in the screenplay. Right? Anyone who thinks it's just Qui Gon because of the screenplay must agree with that because the "NO" part doesn't sound anything like him. Like I said before, I'm not saying it isn't Qui Gon, but how does it make sense to you guys and girls that the people at Lucasfilm can't make a voice sound closer to Qui Gon with all that equipment and years of expertise. It absolutley doesn't make sense to me, unless it is an unimportant scene (unimportant dialogue anyways) that they felt didn't need to be tinkered with. **Then it makes sense.** But I think it happens to be a fairly important scene in, so I'm slightly confused. Does that make sense to anyone?
  20. Oissan Chosen One

star 6
    If you watch the movie in other languages you will hear that it's Qui Gon and nobody else.
  21. jedimaster5615 Jedi Master

star 2
    The Vader breathing is definately there. I didn't see it at first, but if you listen very carefully you can hear it. Its hard to hear the first time. You can hear the click-type sound that is made when Vader changes from inhaling to exhaling right when the music changes. Then you can hear the exhale.
  22. YodaJeff Manager Emeritus

star 7
    If you watch the movie in other languages you will hear that it's Qui Gon and nobody else.

Thanks for the info Oissan. I hope that will help convince some people, but I don't know if it will for sure.
  23. Lord-Gretzky Jedi Knight

star 3
    That information seems to clear it up, but that doesnt make it not strange. So why then? So is it because that dialogue is fairly unimportant? Or because Lucas doesnt have enough enough equipment, or people with enough skills to utilize the equipment, or not enough money to fund fixing such a detail, that is, if it is an important detail? I just recorded my voice on vhs-c videotape and made it sound more like Qui Gon then those people at Lucasfilm and I'm a 4 year old girl using some sound editing program I downloaded on the internet.
  24. Xwing_Pilot Jedi Knight

star 1
    I've seen the movie twice and the scream doesn't sound like it belongs to a seasoned Jedi, a Jedi is in control at all times, he doesn't cry out in anguish. I don't think the scream is made by Qui-Gon or Yoda. The only Jedi we have known to scream like that in anguish are padawans, specifically Luke in ESB and Obi-Wan in TPM. Also, Han Solo screamed like that while under Imperial torture in Cloud City. Nevertheless, all three experienced great pain.

I'd venture to say that Yoda was getting a glimpse of the present and the future at the same time. Not only did his mother's death cause Anakin great pain in AoTC, but Episode 3 will bring even greater pain, how I don't know, perhaps Anakin is in for a disturbing reveleation just like Luke was.
  25. Dale7007 Jedi Padawan

Yes, if yoda said "Yoda: Pain. Suffering. Death, I feel. Something terrible has happened. Young Skywalker is in pain. Terrible pain."

he could be talking about when he falls in the lava pit in e3, his transformation to Darth Vader, or possibly the tuskens dying, anakin suffering from his mothers death, etc. But its more likley the transformation to Darth Vader, Yoda did not say that for no reason. He obviously felt it, and knew it was going to happen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.