main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[Quick question]On the topic of spam.....

Discussion in 'Communications' started by ApolloSmileGirl, Aug 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    I strongly disagree. Content is very important - if every post you make is "+1" or "lol" as mentioned above it can be seen as spam because you're not really adding anything to the discussion. However it works the other way too in that if someone posts as much as they can as fast as they can all the time it doesn't really show any focus on what's being said because they're so busy talking. ;) So I think if you look closely you'll see that spam isn't just defined by number of posts, but that there are a lot of things that must be considered when taking action to filter spam.

Hope that's helpful!

2. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    I have been talked to by a mod or two about me "posting to up my post count" but I really don't care how high my post count number (or whatever) is. I can see why one could think that, but I think doing something like that is pretty pointless.

Can't say I haven't spammed though... :)

3. DarthButt

DarthButt Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2003
    Yeah, that'd be like saying you don't have any socks :p

4. DDL

DDL Jedi Master star 4

Nov 5, 2005
    And taking the opposite of DB's statement...as Bacon has an army of socks, he must have spammed a lot! Hmm...

:p

5. Cinnamon_Windu

Cinnamon_Windu Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 10, 2005
    The mods can say what they want, but they really do judge us by our post counts:

6. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    Not exactly--it can be an indicator. If you haven't been here long and have an insanely high post count, it might lead to the mod checking your recent posts page, and then individual posts.

7. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    I don't know where you're getting that from, but I never look at post counts. If someone's spamming, that's entirely different than judging someone by their post count. A user can have a high amount of posts that are all entirely within the posting rules and good posts. However, some users decide they want to have some insanely high post count and spam up the place. But that's not "judging someone" by their post count.

8. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Not at all. We moderate posts that aren't within the TOS. There are high and low quality posters all over the post count range.

9. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    I have an unusually large post count, for the time that I've been posting here. I've never once been accused of spamming.

10. YoungAngus

YoungAngus Jedi Master star 5

May 7, 2005
    I didn't know stuff like "tl,dr" and "+1" were spam up until a few days ago. I got in trouble for putting tl,dr :p

Back to the OP, rarely have I ever quoted a post and not put something under it, but I have done it before. I think in places like the JCC, it's universally understood that by quoting and re-posting someone's reply means you agree with them. Used sparingly, I do not think they should be considered spam, however if it does become a problem I suppose the mods should make a rule about it.

I'm Spartacus ;)

11. PrincessChattyCathy

PrincessChattyCathy Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2005
    I like the birthday threads because I can get my spam on. :D

I don't think we have too big of a problem with spam. I have not noticed a large number of quotes without any additional text being added. Personally I get tired of all of the quotes that have fixed underneath them. Occasionally they are funny but usually just stupid.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I wouldn't really call a cultural reference spam. The entire point of the line is that everyone claims to be Spartacus--it's not just a waste of a post, as spam tends to be.

But that's why these things should go on a case-by-case basis. ;)

13. Cinnamon_Windu

Jan 10, 2005
    The definition of spamming should not include the phrase "posting simply to up your post count." Only the poster knows why s/he is posting.

14. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    We can determine their motive by their style of posting though. After a while, it's pretty easy to discern who is posting out of sheer interest and who is posting only to bring up their post count. The types and styles of posts are completely different.

15. ewok_jedi

ewok_jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 5, 2005
    I have a high post count for how long I have been around as well, but have been told that I could only get such from spamming though no mod has ever said such

16. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    99% of the time, if a user looks like they are posting because they want nothing more than a few more posts in the plus column - i.e not adding anything to threads despite posting frequently in them, posting across multiple threads with careless, identical, or 'nothing' responses - then that's exactly what they are doing.

17. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    On that note, lol @ Arsenal

18. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    QFT.

19. Cinnamon_Windu

Jan 10, 2005
    LOL @ ApolloSmileGirl and Everton!

20. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Along the same lines as the "Spartacus" justification, I would like to remind everyone of that thread on plagiarism that went on to garner some 35 odd posts of nothing but the text of the opening post quoted, and credited to the current poster. I would argue that was completely justified, in context.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.