Quick Question, then im gone....

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Darth-Serafin, Jun 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Bardan_Jusik, Sinrebirth
  1. Darth-Serafin Jedi Master

star 1
    Im not the biggest fan of the EU, and I rarely visit this foum but Ive got a quick question for anyone who is willing to awnser. After the events of ROTJ, and the New Republic is formed, does the New Republic use the Empires old ships like Star Destoryers and Tie fighters and what have you? Or do they just get rid of those to show that the Empire is gone?
  2. zuckuss1138 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    they use them. i know i'd certainly use a star destroyer if i could get my hands on it.
  3. Robal_Krahl Force Ghost

star 5
    they just dont use them... i assume that they basically melted em down to build X-Wings and such.
    some SDs they used, but not TIEs
  4. jhc36 Force Ghost

star 4
    they use SD's and SSD's...but not the TIE's.

...infidels..... [face_devil]
  5. Lank_Pavail Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Actually, TIEs were used by the New Republic for both covert and overt actions. They did begin equipping their TIEs with shelds, however.

It wasn't until years after Endor, at least ten, when noting Starfighters of Adumar, that TIEs were completely phased out of the NR Starfighter Corps.
  6. Darth-Dispicable Jedi Master

star 4
    I forget the name of them but wasn't there some ships called TIE uglies or Xwing uglies that mixed the technology of the 2 ships into one? Who used them?
  7. Wes_Janson Jedi Youngling

star 5
    smugelers, pirates, used uglies mostly. T'wileks used them to, in The Bacta War

To answer Darth-Serafin's question, the New Republic captures two SD's at Endor, and uses them.

However, the war aginst the empire lasts for many more years, they dont have access to the Empire's forces the instant after ROTJ. They won a major battle, but still had a war to win.
  8. ThrawnRocks Force Ghost

star 6
    I think TIE-wings and X-interceptors are the uglies you are talking about.
  9. Wes_Janson Jedi Youngling

star 5
  10. Darth-Dispicable Jedi Master

star 4
    I like that one, looks like it would have good maneuverability and firepower.

Are there any hybrid types of SSDs out there?
  11. Iron_Fist Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    AFAIK, there aren't any hybrid designs of SSDs out there - just various types. Because the ship is do darn huge, any rebuilding probably has to be done very carefully and very closely with the original blueprints, as connecting up something wrong in one part of the ship may lead to disastrous failures in another.

The NR used all the military gear it could capture from the Empire - SDs, TIEs, frigates, what they could nick in good condition was put to use. By the time of Starfighters of Adumar, ISDs were a fairly common sight in NR fleets. The TIEs in some cases were retrofitted with shields , and in other cases simply used as they were. However, I don't think they melted them down and used them to create new ships - why create a new one when you have a perfectly, albeit slightly used, one in front of you? :)

I_F
  12. ThrawnRocks Force Ghost

star 6
    Because it is about as reliable as anything you find in a happy meal.

Janson, that is awasome! ;)
  13. Pellaeon-Firke Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    It depends what you mean by "Hybrid." The Eclipses were hybrids; Death Star II / SSD hybrids. The Errant Venture was much like the Eclipse, but I think it was more like DS I / ISD hybrid.
  14. ThrawnRocks Force Ghost

star 6
    How did the Errent Venture have part of the DS?
  15. Dev_Binks Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    TIEs were used, but grudingly, most pilots prefered the A, X, and Y-wings to any Imp fighters. And the W-wing is what I would call an ugly! SDs were used massivley, and once the NR was able to capture the shipyards they had them keep producing SDs.
  16. Darth-Serafin Jedi Master

star 1
    Thanks for all the input guys. This is some interesting stuff.
  17. Pellaeon-Firke Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    ThrawnRocks, I might be getting speculation and real stuff mixed up here, but I seem to recall that it was officially stated that the EV in Rebirth had some sort of "doomsday gun" that was actually a DS1 superlaser.
  18. Iron_Fist Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Pellaeon: But, IIRC, it was seen later in the Enemy Lines duology that it was a fake designed to fool the Vong - the Venture simply got a full complement of turbolasers back. :)

I_F
  19. Kwenn Force Ghost

star 5
    TIEs weren't used much by the New Republic, though the Galactic Alliance, having the Imperial Remnant as its allies, used TIE fighters (and variants) in some battles. There are a number of TIEs present during the final battle for Coruscant in The Unifying Force.
  20. Pellaeon-Firke Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    But, IIRC, it was seen later in the Enemy Lines duology that it was a fake designed to fool the Vong - the Venture simply got a full complement of turbolasers back.

I was pretty sure that the guns they had in EL were taken off the Lucy during Enemy Lines; he had a doomsday wepaon in Rebirth.
  21. Rogue9-Horn Force Ghost

star 4
    they used em' all, though they shield equipped all the ties
  22. GenOochy Force Ghost

star 5
    There was also a Victory III-class Star Destoryer, that was also known as the Republic-class Star Destoryer...
  23. Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs

star 5
    Hmmm.... [face_thinking]

From what I remember, they used the Capital Ships, but not the fighters.....

TIES were too weak compared to the Republic's letter-wing series... and I'd think retrofitting be too costly....

Remember that Sienar Flight Systems brought out the TIE Defender, but it was a flop....

No market from the New Republic....and Empire was too poor...

KDY's Star Destroyers were the Empire's strenght, and the NR was more than happy to compliment their fleet of Mon. Calamari and CEC ships with the Star Destroyers....
  24. Robal_Krahl Force Ghost

star 5
    Remember that Sienar Flight Systems brought out the TIE Defender, but it was a flop....

the only drawback i remember was that Defenders were too expensive... was there anything else? :confused:
  25. Dev_Binks Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    hard to keep up I think...
Moderators: Bardan_Jusik, Sinrebirth
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.