Quicktime 6 is out now

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Bastion, Jul 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: AdamBertocci
  1. Bastion Jedi Knight

star 2
    Just thought I'd let everyone know that you can now download the final version of Quicktime 6 here. So we finally have MPEG 4!
  2. The Jedi Apprentice Jedi Master

star 4
    Jesus, i could've sworn i read somewhere that it wasn't coming out until october.
  3. Carl_el_cee Jedi Knight

star 3
    yeah, me too. Such a surprise. I just formated my pooter and I had to reinstall QT and I go to the website and what do I see? QT 6! Working with On2 and everything!

So... whats new? pardon my ignorance :D

Carl
  4. Lord_Homer Jedi Master

star 4
  5. Bastion Jedi Knight

star 2
    MPEG-4 is new, that's what. And it's pretty neato. Anyone done any compression tests with it yet? I'd like to see how it compares with Sorenson Video 3 and On2 VP3. Do we have a new standard?
  6. MoffJake Jedi Master

star 4
    Goodbye QDesign and IMA, hello AAC!

:) :) :)
  7. Lots Jedi Master

star 4
    i downloaded qt6 and tried to run one of my various divx files on it to no luck :p

unless the divx codec for qt isnt included in the package... any ideas where i could get it?? :p
  8. dark42 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Arrrg!! :mad: I have to pay for Pro again?!
  9. MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I was thinking the same thing. Now I almost regret installing it.
  10. Ulric Jedi Knight

star 1
  11. Douz Jedi Knight

star 3
    I believe I do remember hearing somewhere that people would have to again purchase the Pro version for QT6 due to the MPEG4 fees.
  12. foxbatkllr Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I would check divx.com to see if they'll release a new divx codec for QT6. They did so for QT5, but it only worked half the time.
  13. Bastion Jedi Knight

star 2
    Well you could always uninstall it and reinstall Quicktime 5, though I don't know what you'd do if MPEG-4 and AAC does become the popular codec choices. Partition maybe? Wish their weren't the MPEG-4 licensing fees, then it may have been a free upgrade.

Hmmm, I'm having trouble with VP3. It was the only codec I didn't reinstall (it was there from the last upgrade of mine, when I got rid of the Quicktime 6 beta) and now it doesn't work. Time for a complete reinstall I think. Anyone else have any trouble with it?

[edit]Boy, I need to type my posts a lot faster! I miss half the conversation! I don't think there will be any fees applied to anyone here, no one does any streaming, and if you were running those numbers you'd likely be running a business.[/edit]
  14. MoffJake Jedi Master

star 4
    In it's first release, I'm not too impressed by the quality of MPEG-4. It hasn't been around as long as DivX. But give it time and it will be up to that same quality. What is great about it is the encoding speed. Very fast.

What MPEG-4 is giving us is a much needed standard for streaming video. MPEG-4 will not only be used by PCs but also on wireless devices, and possibly a second generation DVD format.

15. PaulZwa Jedi Padawan

MPEG4 is really nice. It took a 5 meg clip (7 seconds uncompressed) down to 1.6 megs.
  16. DasKamikaze Jedi Padawan

Anyone else had problems watching the large format of BA with QT6? It plays okay, until I hit a menu or two, and then it crashes.
  17. PaulZwa Jedi Padawan

I can't even download BA. My IE downloader stops downloading it less than a meg into the download.
  18. grand_admiral_ewok Jedi Master

star 4
    Is there a way you can download the actual Quicktime installer so you can keep it on your hard disk and, should you need to, reinstall it without having to go back online and download it?
  19. Lots Jedi Master

star 4
    i would assume the qt installer is in one of the temporary directories on your hard drive.. possibly in the Internet Explorer temp folder or the windows temp folder... it has to be downloaded so you can install it..

actually now that i think about it.. the qt installer is a small little program that when u launch it it asks you what u want to install and then downloads the appropriate files from the web and installs those files.. i dont think you can get an actual executable that installs it all for you without a web connection.. but i may be wrong...
  20. JEDIBYKNIGHT Jedi Master

star 4
    I have the data behind those installers on my HD (for QT 4 and 5), but I took them from magazine CD's.

I never could download this data from the Net. Never found it anywhere in the temp folders... Maybe someone here knows where to get it, though...
  21. grand_admiral_ewok Jedi Master

star 4
    On a magazine CD? Wow. I've read that Apple don't allow magazines to distribute the player on their discs. Maybe that's just here in the UK.

Anyway there's bound to be a full downloadable package on KaZaa.
  22. Bastion Jedi Knight

star 2
    You can just download the from here. This link is on the normal Quicktime download page.
  23. Semaj Ovured Jedi Master

star 4
    In order to get MPEG4 encoding, you have to pay a SEPARATE fee to unlock that particular feature? That's in ADDITION to having to purchase the QT license AGAIN if you're upgrading from a previous version?!

Don't get me started on that.
  24. DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff

VIP
    star 5
    Hey Semaj, it's only a 'one off' purchase for both of those things. You basically need to buy the Quicktime Pro key again (again!) and then you get the MPEG features unlocked, along with the Quicktime Pro features.
  25. Semaj Ovured Jedi Master

star 4
    That's not what I heard.

But nonetheless, it chaps my hide that Apple thinks you can charge for it ... again and again.
Moderators: AdamBertocci
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.