main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Quinlan Vos

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by DarthCharsiupao, May 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthCharsiupao

DarthCharsiupao Jedi Youngling

May 29, 2005
    I read on more than one occasion that Quinlan Vos made his first apperance in TPM, but having watched it 3 times (well, fast forwarding to Jedi Coruscant scenes) I was unable to see him at all, as opposed to Aayla Secura in AotC where you see her quite easily even before Geonosis. Can anyone point me to where Quinlan is? Thanks =)

2. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    In the background of the scene when Sebulba starts scrapping out Jar Jar in the Mos Espa market

3. Delta_62

Delta_62 Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 20, 2005
    Yeah. That.

4. BosskMaul

BosskMaul Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 29, 2004
    What was another Jedi doing on Tatooine?

5. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    I think he was just an unnamed extra at the time, but the EU hacked up a hairball and made him Quinlan Vos, undercover on Tatooine...

6. point5pastlightspeed

point5pastlightspeed Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 18, 2004
    Who is Quinlan Vos, exactly? I'm not really into the EU, so despite the fact that I have heard the name a few times, I'm not sure who it is.

7. Matt-trooper

Matt-trooper Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 19, 2005
    All I know is that he is a jedi knight who is a kiffar, a species that can 'see' what has happened somewhere, like a psychic or something.

I don't think hes Vos, just a guy with a yellow stripe across his nose. There is another guy behind him who has the same yellow mark as well.

8. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    He's mentioned in ROTS

The scene where Anakin has just missed the briefing.

Obi Wan states "blah blah and Master Vos has moved to Boss Pity"

9. JSnyder

JSnyder Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 25, 2005
    >>I think he was just an unnamed extra at the time, but the EU hacked up a hairball and made him Quinlan Vos, undercover on Tatooine...<<
    LOVE! the imagery there!

EU is like Days of Our Lives.

10. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    he's seen on tatooine. it's not really quinlan vos, he's just an extra. however, someone got inspired by that extra and made up a new jedi.

11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    [image=http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/quinlanvos/img/bts_bg.jpg]

Basicly what happened was artist Jan Durseema wanted to base a new character off a background character in TPM, so she somehow magically managed to spot that guy in the background and memorize his look while watching the film in the theater.

And then Quinlan Vos started to appear in the Republic comic series (then just "Star Wars")- first as a cameo in the Emmissaries to Malastare story arc as a setup to his true debut in the Twilight arc (and later notably in Darkness, Stark Hyperspace War & Rite of Passage) where we we find him to be a Jedi who has had his memories erased and is being hunted by bounty hunters. The main character question being asked was if a Jedi is still a Jedi even if he can't remember being one?

During these arcs they also introduced Quinlan's padawan, Aayla Secura.

Eventually they established that it was in fact actually Quinlan on Tatooine during TPM, on an undercover mission and unaware of the desperate nature of Qui-Gon's situation.

[image=http://images.darkhorse.com/covers/s/swon21.jpg] [image=http://images.darkhorse.com/covers/11/11389.jpg] [image=http://images.darkhorse.com/covers/11/11680.jpg]

One of the comic covers caught George's eye and Aayla was plopped into AOTC, with Quinlan making a cameo during the comic adaptation of the film.

By the time the Clone Wars-era comics started, Quinlan had been established as the star character of the prequel era behind Obi-Wan and Anakin and his real star arc evolved during the course of the war (in which he appears in 19 of the 34 Clone Wars comics), from his start as a Jedi Intelligence agent, to his false or was it?) defection to the Confederacy, serving Dooku in an attempt to seek out and destroy the second Sith Lord.

[image=http://images.darkhorse.com/covers/13/13083.jpg] [image=http://images.darkhorse.com/covers/10/10442.jpg] [image=http://images.darkhorse.com/covers/10/10444.jpg]

His actions during the comics eventually play a role in assisting Mace Windu's hunt for Sidious during the Labyrinth of Evil novel.

Being such a prominent fan favorite character, Lucas scripted a scene for him in ROTS for the Order 66 sequence, as well as having Obi-wan mention him during the Outer Rim Sieges briefing.

That O66 scene was storyboarded with animatics and they even hired the actor to shoot the scene, but they ultimately dropped the scene before they filmed it, along with death scenes for other Jedi.

The scene can still be found in the ROTS comic adaptation- though the manner in which it is depicted allows for the slight possibility Quinlan actually could have survived the scene, should rumors turn true about his death scene being cut from the film so that he can appear in the TV series.

Lastly, Quinlan encountered a young Han Solo on Nar Shadaa a few years after that, in the Tales story "Ghost"- however the way that story is structured, it functions regardless of what Quin's ultimate fate is (if he survivs, it could actually be him, if he dies, he could literally be a ghost).

EDIT- In addition to the previews linked above, here are two more for the pre-ROTS arc "Siege of Saleucami":

Part 1
    Part 2

12. Koroshiya_keefu

Koroshiya_keefu Jedi Master star 2

Jan 3, 2005
    Excellent history there 2ndQuest! You do know your EU. I've always found Quinlan Vos to be an interesting character and was quite happy to hear him mentioned in III. It would be nice if he made some form of an appearance in the TV series!

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    ::bumps his little history lesson:: ;)

14. point5pastlightspeed

point5pastlightspeed Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 18, 2004
    I wonder what the film extra who played what ended up becoming Quinlan Vos thinks about the fact that a popular EU character was inspired by his appearance in the background of one scene.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    As I udnerstand it, they can't find out who it was that played Quin in TPM.

I'd actually be curious to know who they hired to play Quin for ROTS though.

16. zeekveerko

zeekveerko Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    [face_laugh]

I've never heard any of this before.

17. Cmdr_Gabe_E

Cmdr_Gabe_E Jedi Master star 2

Dec 26, 2003

I wonder what the film extra who played what ended up becoming Quinlan Vos thinks about the fact that a popular EU character was inspired by his appearance in the background of one scene.

man, if i were him, i'd be damn proud of how far my character has gone in the EU ^_^! heheh...then maybe i'd bask in the glory of quinlan vos and have one heckuva time in the conventions meeting star wars fans ^o^! then i'd tell them "hey! I was quinlan vos i episode I! i rock!". lol. ^_^

18. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    Quin's story is really very cool. Quin's story in the clone wars is really interesting, and it'very well done. His actions make sense with what was previously established with him, and you really don't know where he stands any more.

19. DarthNidLoc

DarthNidLoc Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 19, 2005
    The extra who played him was probably just a tunisian they pulled off the street as or a tunisian soldier. Movies made in north Africa like SW, Alexander, Kingdom of Heaven tend to use locals for extras when they do location shoots. All the backround extras for the stufff they shot in Fox studios in Australia where either Aussie, Kiwi, crew members or production staff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.