main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Quite off Topic- Star Trek Phaser

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Quint_89, Aug 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quint_89

Quint_89 Jedi Youngling

Aug 16, 2004
    Sorry to go off on quite the tangent but I'm trying to find blueprints of the ST:TNG type 1 cricket phaser.

I'm planning on drawing it up in CAD and then machining it out of aluminum with a CNC Mill and having a friend do the internal electronic so it lights up and has the power bar.

If anyone know of or has such info I'd be real grateful.

(I tried finding a decent ST prop forum but had no luck if anyone can give me an address that would be wonderful)

2. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    AHHHH! A Trekkie!

*runs and hides*

welcome to the boards, i hope you can find some help here

and may the Force be with you!

3. Quint_89

Quint_89 Jedi Youngling

Aug 16, 2004
    Actually more a warsie (is that a real term). just thought the cricket phaser would be a nice little project.

4. lgtsbr

lgtsbr Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2002
    Master Replicas currently holds the rights to make the Star Trek props

You do know that it is copyright infringement to make a run of them right? You will get hit by MR, Paramont, and god knows who else.

Just a word of caution

Dave

5. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    Me-ow! Chill out a bit Dave. Quint didn't say anything about making a 'run' of them, and I don't see you giving the other prop makers here a similar dressingdown. Any particular reason you're hot about this project? Or is it just the MasterReplica connection? :confused:

Anywho, good luck with the project, sounds like fun.

~H~

6. donsolo

donsolo Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 3, 2004
    well, dave is right, if you try and make a bunch to sell you'll get slammed... but drawing it and building it for your own enjoyment is far within the bounds of fair use, so rock on! I used Solidworks and a rapid prototyping machine to make me an R2D2 keychain... I made 3 (one to keep, one for the classroom's display, and one that a dog tryed to eat) and so far I haven't gotten any notice from LFL ;)

7. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    I'm not doubting that all kinds of nasty things would happen if someone tried to start selling ST/SW/whatever props en mass, I was just surprised that the issue was so forcefully brought up so soon in this thread, whereas there are numerous other threads that are in the same category.

~H~

8. lgtsbr

Nov 4, 2002
    Sorry - I am not always the most elegant typer and that was not how I wanted it to sound

I more meant that as a caution thing not a dressing down - I have seen too many good people get caught up in making a unlicensed prop, saying it was easy, making more, selling the extras, and then getting in major trouble with LFL, MR, and any other copyright holder - they do watch ALL the message boards - I know that for a fact.

I just hate seeing good people get in trouble - I watched more than one friend close down their businesses because of doing just what was said above. One of them was very recent and he wasn't really vocal on any message boards - but he got caught and got a couple C&D's for his trouble. I also know Paramount(sp) has been cracking down a whole lot lately and I hate seeing people end up in more trouble than they should. Perfect example of this is a friend of mine tried to re-sell his MR communicator on ebay because he needed the money - his auction was pulled, his account suspended, and got a C&D for his trouble - how messed up is that?

I do agree if you are making one for yourself, then by all means go for it - I just know, as well as the copyright holders know, the costs when you start talking CNC work - its very expensive to do one of anything so it implies that you are going to make more than one for yourself even if that isn't your intention - see where just mentioning CNC can get you in a world of hurt?

So I am cautioning you on mentioning how you are making it - just leave it as "I am making this for myself" and go from there - as soon as you start talking big machinery the red flag goes up and you are watched. So just be careful is all I was trying to say.

Again - sorry Quint_89 for sounding harsh - I just don't want to see anyone else end up in a bad place real fast with a C&D order.

Dave

9. Quint_89

Quint_89 Jedi Youngling

Aug 16, 2004
    Not to worry about sounding too harsh. I was looking into that side of things already (after hearing a few horror stories). Just to clarify I'm just doing this as a single piece to get a feel for the machining. The plan is to make it from a single piece of Alu so there'll be no seams/screws on the outside, thought that would be a nice challenge.

It was this or the transformers matrix.

10. Quint_89

Quint_89 Jedi Youngling

Aug 16, 2004
    On a side note I have access to a CNC at work... thus little if any cost...

11. lgtsbr

Nov 4, 2002
    1 piece - that sounds like a good plan. Probably going to be alot of mill work.

Although that Matrix is tempting........

12. donsolo

Jul 3, 2004
    what's a C&D dave?

13. Imperial_Birrer

Imperial_Birrer Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2003
    C&D = cease and desist (SP?)

I am in the same boat. The machining dept at my college said if i could get them the CAD plans for a lightsaber they would make them for me at no cost.2 problems: I cant find anyone with the plans and I dont wanna get on anyone's hit list.I dont plan on selling them, just wanted to do it cuz it would be a cool thing to have a movie saber.But after reading similar warnings I relized even if no money is exchanged that might still be a copy right infringment.The dept loved the idea due the complexity of the sabers and no one has ever thought about trying it there.

14. Quint_89

Quint_89 Jedi Youngling

Aug 16, 2004
    I was under the impression that it was fine to make single pieces for personal use; if this isn?t the case I'll need a new plan.

In terms of milling it should take three operations:

From the end to mill out the barrel area (will be covered by a separate poly resin piece)

The top
    &
    The underside

I've already drawn up a rough one (dimensioned by eye) and got it running in the CNC program. So back to my previous question...

Any have or know where to look for decent plans?

15. Quint_89

Quint_89 Jedi Youngling

Aug 16, 2004
  16. donsolo

Jul 3, 2004
    sorry 'bout the lack of help man... guess there are't to many trekkies in here ;)

but Birrer: what saber did you want them to make? a Luke ROTJ (or other screen used saber) replica or an original / customized idea? I'm in the CAD/CAM program here and might be able to help you with a drawing... if I have some time to spare :)

17. Quint_89

Quint_89 Jedi Youngling

Aug 16, 2004
    regarding "Imperial_Birrer" 's comment about the sabre(er).

If your're interested I drew up lukes (roj) sabre in solidworks if that'd be any of any use...

let me know...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.