main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Quotations Roulette Challenge Response Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by vader_incarnate, Jul 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vader_incarnate

vader_incarnate Force Ghost star 4

Jul 29, 2002
    :) By popular demand ( :p), here's the place to post your responses to the Quotations Roulette Challenge. Please remember, when you have finished writing your response, to let us know in the FFR thread and keep in mind that the deadline is August 31. :D

*insert more intelligent things here* :D

2. Jennifer_Lyn

Jennifer_Lyn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 8, 2005
    Yippee! I'm first!

Title: From Humble Beginnings
    Author(s): Jennifer_Lyn
    Timeframe: Many years before TPM
    Characters: ah, you shall see!
    Genre: drama
    Summary: A young novice takes his first step into a larger world.
    Notes: This is in answer to the Quotation Roulette challenge. I got number 29: "I hate quotations, tell me what you know." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=20641283

3. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    Okay, I'm done too.

Title: Against the Code
    Author: Princess_Arulmozhi
    Timeframe: JA
    Characters: Obi and Qui
    Genre: Humour
    Summary: Your perception defines your reality. Or some such thing.
    Notes: My response to the Quotation Roulette challenge. Mine was No: 79: "There is no remedy for love but to love more. -- Henry David Thoreau I'm surpised at what I came up with. Heh.

Link: http://boards.theforce.net/Before_the_Saga/b10475/20664514/?0

4. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Heh, I think I may have pulled it off. :)

Title: Unless, Of Course, He?s the Pilot
    Author: DWH
    Genre: Humour
    Timeframe: KOTOR
    Characters: Leiraya Moran, Aiden Star, Carth Onasi
    Summary: The pilot stumbles on a little more than he bargained for in the ?fresher?
    Notes: Response to Quotations Roulette challenge, I responded to #10: Beware of men on airplanes. The minute a man reaches thirty thousand feet, he immediately becomes consumed by distasteful sexual fantasies which involve doing uncomfortable things in those tiny toilets. These men should not be encouraged, their fantasies are sadly low-rent and unimaginative. Affect an aloof, cool demeanor as soon as any man tries to draw you out. Unless, of course, he's the pilot. -- Cynthia Heimel

http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=20668734

5. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Guys, I think the point of this thread is to actually post your challenge responses here instead of just the links so the boards aren't inundated with response threads (as with the Order 66 challenge responses). :)

6. Princess_Arulmozhi

Nov 16, 2004
    :eek: What do I do now...? Repost the actual response here???

7. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    You can edit your post above and just copy in the vig. :)

8. Aerex_Matare

Aerex_Matare Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 5, 2005
    Here's my contribution.

Title: Heretical Bliss
    Author: Aerex_Matare
    Timeframe: A couple decades before TPM
    Genre: Vignette
    Characters: A former Jedi and his daughter
    Summary: An ex-Jedi remembers what he hoped to find when he left the Order.
    Notes: Reponse to the Quotation Roulette challenge. I got #70: The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet. -- James Oppenheim

Essa turned in her chair boredly. "When are we gonna get there, Dad?"

"Hm?" Quine turned to her, not looking up from his datapad. His hand was over his face, his index finger idly brushing his greying moustache.

She sighed. "When are we gonna get there?"

Quine turned and looked down at the chrono on the ship's main control panel. "Only another couple hours, sweetheart," he answered, glancing down at his datapad again.

Essa twisted her face, moving her lips from side to side. "Where are we going again?"

"Ralltiir," he said, scrolling down the text on the pad.

She wrinkled her nose. "Why?"

"I've got a client to meet," he said. He glanced up at his daughter. He didn't like bringing Essa on his business travels, but the usual babysitter Wroorkirr was on Kashyyyk for some holiday, and he hardly trusted droids. She deserves something for the trouble, he thought to himself. "Hey, why don't you go practice some of those Force techniques I taught you, hm?"

She shrugged. "I practiced all yesterday."

Quine smiled. "I know, and you did very well." He put down the datapad and strummed his fingers against his chin. "Hmmm..." he thought aloud. He grinned and snapped his fingers. "I know. How about a holovid?"

She perked up a little. "A new one?"

He nodded. "Yeah, you bet. What's out now? Reylo's Adventure?"

She smiled. "I wanna see Straight Shot!" she said excitedly.

Quine gave her a dubious look. "Straight Shot? C'mon, Essa, you know you're not allowed to watch that."

The girl shrugged. She paused. "Hey, what about Cold Knight on Coruscant?"

Quine sighed. "Hmph. You sure do like those Jedi vids, don't you?"

She smiled, showing a few missing teeth. "Uh-huh."

He nodded slightly. "Alright," he said quietly. He tapped a few buttons on the control panel. A holo display rose from the ground behind the cockpit. Essa got comfortable in her chair as the vid started. Quine tried to turn back to his datapad, but the sound of lightsabers and talk of the Jedi Code from the holovid was too distracting. He shut off the pad and rubbed his eyes.

"Dad, why'd you quit the Jedi?"

Quine sighed. "We've talked about this before, Essa," he said softly.

"I know, but..." she trailed off.

"But you want to hear it again."

"Uh-huh."

He crossed his arms and leaned back in the chair. He sat silent for a while. "Not now, honey," he said. "Finish your vid."
    ________

I remember the looks on the faces of the Jedi Masters when I declared my decision to the Council. They never saw it coming. Even with the Force, they were blind to it.

But so was everybody. Even the big holonews stations reported on it. "Quine Netto, one of the most well-respected Jedi in the Republic, has left the Order." Before I left, there was rumors that they'd promote me to Master.

But, after that incident on Graphaar... things changed.

I began to question, to wonder. Why couldn't Jedi love? Avoidance of passion was understandable, since passion fuels hatred and other dark emotions. But could love be so evil?

And why did the Order demand such obedience out of its members? A Jedi was expected to do the will of the Council and little else. There was no freedom, no room for curiousity. I began to wonder what was beyond the life of a Jedi, what adventures I might have if I weren't confined to the Code.

Besides, I never chose to be a Jedi. They send you off when you're barely a child, tell you it's for the best and you have such potential. You have no say in it at all. I used to wonder what it would be like if

9. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Aerex_Matare, very nice. I liked Quine and Essa's relationship. "Straight Shot? C'mon, Essa, you know you're not allowed to watch that." LOL! SOunds very familiar! The fic was a wonderful example of the quote, well done.

10. jedi_of_ennth

jedi_of_ennth Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 1, 2005
    Wonderful job! =D= Great use of your quote, and the title was perfect. :)

11. mouse2

mouse2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    Brilliant response! =D= I loved his interaction with his daughter, as well as his questioning of the Jedi code. Methinks he had a point! [face_whistling]

12. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Wonderful! =D= That was extremely well done! It's amazing how high the quality of work on these quote respones has been! Lucky for us readers!

13. Aerex_Matare

Aerex_Matare Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 5, 2005
    Heh, thanks everyone.:)

14. mouse2

Oct 29, 1999
    Here's my humble contribution. :)

Title: Hell?s Classroom
    Author: mouse2
    Timeframe: pre-JA/JA/Saga
    Characters: OC?s
    Genre: humor
    Summary: A professor gets tired of dealing with his students. A part of the Jemmiah Chronicles. It?s the same student in the first two sections and her son in the third.
    Notes: Response to Quotations Roulette challenge. I got #99: Yeah, so physicists can't go to hell or else they'd set a heat engine up. That's why you all want to learn this carefully -- just in case. -- vader_incarnate's Physics teacher

Dark hair was slicked back neatly as the professor scribbled something illegible over the holo-board before turning back towards his class. He hadn?t been teaching very long, but that didn?t matter he knew his subject and if his students couldn?t understand it that wasn?t his problem.

?Now class, if you will observe this equation I just put up for you, you will see there is no way you could be able to solve it today. It will take you at least a standard month if you?re lucky unless of course one of you is a mathematical genius in hiding.?

He chuckled to himself at that last statement. Judging by their grades that was one thing he seriously doubted any of his students were. They were mostly kids whose parents had more credits than credit. Looking back up at his class he noticed a small hand raised in the back of the room.

?Yes, er?.? He snapped his fingers in succession several times trying to remember. It was that new redheaded girl. Finally he gave up and looked at the class list on his datapad. ?Er? Miss Sommers is it??

?Yes sir,? she answered in a distracted voice. ?I was just curious Professor Nitwit-?
    ?That?s Nightwhite,? he interrupted in a brisk tone.
    ?Whatever,? she waved off before she continued with her question. ?I was just wondering why you?re giving us an equation that you can?t answer.?
    ?I never said you couldn?t answer it. I said it would take you at least-?
    ?No sir, you can?t answer it. I mean it has no answer, but if you happen to square the four then the answer would be six.?

Professor Nightwhite stared at the small creature with the wild red hair open mouthed that caused some of his other students to start giggling.

?You?re new aren?t you? Why are you in this class Miss Sommers?? he asked angrily.
    ?They didn?t know where else to put me,? she answered honestly.

His neatly slicked hair began to fall in a chaotic fashion so he didn?t look quite as put together as he had been presenting.

?You don?t belong in this class either! This is mathematical physics you have to at least complete applied mathematics!?
    ?I have sir,? her voice sounding quite strong for her size. ?And before you accuse me I didn?t cheat either.?
    ?You cannot talk to me like that, what are your parents? names.?
    ?Seth Sommers. He?s a Corellian businessman,? she threw him a wink letting him know what the term ?businessman? really meant.

The room suddenly became warm for Professor Nightwhite and he tried to nonchalantly loosen his collar. He began to wind his way though the maze of desks in the class room until he came to the small redhead?s desk. Bending down he whispered to her.

?You know you?re going to Hell, right??
    ?Oh yes sir!? she answered almost cheerfully. ?But I hear it?s a dry heat so I should be okay.?
    ?Yeah, so physicists can't go to hell or else they'd set a heat engine up. That's why you all want to learn this carefully -- just in case,? He told her seriously.
    ?That?s good!? she told him. ?It?s always good to be prepared.?

~~~~~

8 years later

Disheveled brownish hair with wide streaks of grey running though it topped the head of the professor who was in the process of furiously scribbling something unintelligible on the overhead holo-board. Turning around he surveyed his class. He was quite relieved to have given up teaching at that private school. He was wasting his time teaching those younglings who couldn?t care one way or another whether t

15. jedi_of_ennth

Mar 1, 2005
    [face_laugh] That was great! Loved the Nightwhite/Nitwit jokes!

?You know you?re going to Hell, right??
    ?Oh yes sir!? she answered almost cheerfully. ?But I hear it?s a dry heat so I should be okay.?

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

16. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Loved it! Sorry my responses aren't longer. I'm tired...

17. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Heh! I've totally had profs that would say stuff like that. Gotta love 'em. Almost makes me want to go back to school, to add to my quote file. :D

18. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Nightwhite/Nitwit , too funny. I love to see Rela and her son being so very much alike and the young man's comment about Corellian?s not going to hell. Lovely entry Mouse!

19. mouse2

Oct 29, 1999
    Thanks everyone! I had more fun writing it. :)

Huge thanks vader_incarnate for kick starting my brain again! [:D]

20. -The-Negotiator-

-The-Negotiator- Jedi Youngling

Jun 23, 2005
    Crushing the Core
    -The-Negotiator-

PG

Disclaimer: All characters, planets, etc. are the property of Lucasfilm.

The majority, oppressing an individual, is guilty of a crime, abuses its strength, and by acting on the law of the strongest breaks up the foundations of society. -- Thomas Jefferson

Qui-Gon Jinn wanted to be alone.

He was a dark silhouette nestled below the drooping clusters of soft green leaves, his back slightly bowed. The sea breeze strung graying tendrils of hair into its gentle momentum, and his sigh at the cool rush was laced with weary gratitude. His eyes tracked the ripples of the water, trying in vain to distinguish the true color of the waves, for they shifted constantly in a palette of azures and emeralds, pale as rainfall, then dark as a bog. When the tide sheeted over the surface, it brought with it a foamy white that spilled onto the sands, and seeped between his naked toes.

He had shed everything to come here, to sit on a bleached, hollow strip of wood and stare into the ceaseless horizon. He left his assigned quarters, and in doing so, left his mission, his tunics and cloak, his young, respectfully silent student.

And now he was isolated on the twilit shore, sole witness of the sultry orange day?s slow crawl behind the ocean. He knew that he should go back; Obi-Wan took to worrying with instant fervor, and was probably sitting at the edge of his bed, wondering why his ever-responsible teacher had offered no explanation for his abrupt absence.

But Qui-Gon could not go back. Not yet.

The sky was churning with promise of nightfall. The Jedi Master crossed his arms over his chest, but it did nothing to block the chill. So he dropped them, and let the full brace of nature take him. He heard the wind stroke against the flora, saw the prismatic fins of the tehools dip in and out of the placid waters. He felt each granule spread over the earth?even those tiniest specks of matter were linked to him.

Ultimately, he was just as small, just as insignificant, in the grand whirlwind of life. He reminded himself of that fact, thinking that it would ease the fury and indignation pressing beneath his skin. But he remained trapped in brushfire; one irritation had served to remind him of countless others, and soon his spirit was consumed.

For a moment, he wished to be part of the monotony, a stretch of plain instead of a hill, following the beats of the common tune, stepping where others already had.

It would be far easier that way. Perhaps, as his earnest student felt compelled to point out, with a concerned, long-suffering tone, he would have already claimed a seat on the High Council by now.

Oh, how fulfilling that would be, he mused, rubbing circles in the soft canvas of sand, To be among those that streamline the Order, and free it of new ideas.

?Master??

Qui-Gon did not turn around at the quiet word. He simply shifted to free enough space for his apprentice.

Obi-Wan sat beside him.

The older Jedi glanced at the familiar profile, as it existed in contrast with the thickening shadows. When he had first met Obi-Wan, he had been a boy of orange flame, possessing so much passion and anger and promise. Now, with the years bringing the Padawan braid from shoulder to waist, the ardent hue was the blue that existed at the core of conflagration, the calm and steadiness of a base. Qui-Gon glimpsed this in the eyes that roamed the sea, eyes that slowly, hesitantly rested on him.

There was a soul?s worth of frustration in that gaze. ?Master,? Obi-Wan murmured, ?You left your com behind.?

Qui-Gon had half-expected disappointment to bleed through the words, or for the recent upset with the Council to be mentioned, but neither were voiced. Instead, the protégé sounded tired, just as spent as his mentor, and hurt.

I left it behind. So I left him behind.

This, Qui-Gon realized with a lurch of heart and gut. He blew out a breath, rasping a curse as he did so. ?I?m sorry, Padawan. I must have forgotte

21. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Great vig Negotiator! And I'm jealous; your quote was great. My first one was wicked and evil. :p

And you're one naughty sock! [face_shame_on_you]

22. Princess_Arulmozhi

Nov 16, 2004
    Ye Gods, that was brilliant. Loved the way Qui kept saying names didn't matter, and yet in the end, one name did matter to him. And the way the Master described all the flowers as having the same core. And Obi-Wan's mortification at being 'one of them'. When he isn't really. I don't think so, at any rate. And his concern for his master is so...[face_love]

The language was beautiful, as was the conversation. Bravo, a thousand times over!=D=

23. Aelan_Greenleaf

Aelan_Greenleaf Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2005
    Simply amazing, Negotiator. Great job. :)

24. jedi_of_ennth

Mar 1, 2005
    That was such a beautiful vignette! :D I adored the descriptions, and the writing style was gorgeous. :)

25. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Wow, -The-Negotiator-. That was amazing. :D That one is going to stay with me. @};-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.